Author Topic: Minor rant on bookbub pricing...  (Read 10488 times)  

Offline Pandorra

• View Profile
    • Authors in Motion
Minor rant on bookbub pricing...
« on: July 18, 2018, 10:37:27 am »
Ok, I have to ask this because every time I go to the site and look up the prices, expectations, etc I get caught up on the prices, which seem seriously inflated and like bad business to me. (Obviously they can't be, or they wouldn't be so popular right?) but is it just me who thinks that paying that much for advertising one book is insane?

Sure, you sell a lot of books, not everyone, but most of you I am thinking, but you are truly just giving the books away to get a lower ad price and then skimming the surface to (hopefully) get back what you paid for the advertising and you can't tell me they deserve such a huge cut for their work when WE are the ones writing the books.. they could easily half those prices and still make a killing so what true short or long term benefits do you guys get out of this?? Is it really that effective of a system?

Dean Rencraft | Authors in Motion

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline CassieL

• View Profile
    Re: Minor rant on bookbub pricing...
    « Reply #1 on: July 18, 2018, 10:39:41 am »
    I've had three 99 cent Bookbubs. All three made back their money within the first week. That doesn't include long-term sellthrough to the rest of the series. I'll take a Bookbub, at the prices they charge, any day of the week.

8 Pen Names. Genres: Non-fiction, Speculative Fiction, Romance.

Offline wilsonharp

• View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: July 18, 2018, 10:41:25 am »
    Is it really that effective of a system?

Yes.

Offline Anarchist

• Methodological individualist
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: July 18, 2018, 10:43:35 am »
    Ok, I have to ask this because every time I go to the site and look up the prices, expectations, etc I get caught up on the prices, which seem seriously inflated and like bad business to me. (Obviously they can't be, or they wouldn't be so popular right?) but is it just me who thinks that paying that much for advertising one book is insane?

Sure, you sell a lot of books, not everyone, but most of you I am thinking, but you are truly just giving the books away to get a lower ad price and then skimming the surface to (hopefully) get back what you paid for the advertising and you can't tell me they deserve such a huge cut for their work when WE are the ones writing the books.. they could easily half those prices and still make a killing so what true short or long term benefits do you guys get out of this?? Is it really that effective of a system?

Why would BookBub charge less than they're able to charge?

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat." - Sun Tzu

Online Lydniz

• UK
      • View Profile
      • Credentials
    « Reply #4 on: July 18, 2018, 10:43:39 am »
    I don't have any figures to hand, but for price per download, Bookbub beats all other advertisers hands down. I've never had one that didn't pay for itself, sometimes on the actual day of the ad.

Offline Pandorra

• View Profile
      • Authors in Motion
    « Reply #5 on: July 18, 2018, 10:44:11 am »
    I've had three 99 cent Bookbubs. All three made back their money within the first week. That doesn't include long-term sellthrough to the rest of the series. I'll take a Bookbub, at the prices they charge, any day of the week.

But how long do the ads run and is it that effective for the majority? The prices do seem like a lot to me, my books haven't even come close to making that without advertising so it's not just me putting money i've made back into it, that's all out of pocket.. and while I have faith in my writing, investing so much in one go seems like insanity.

Offline D A Bale

• United States
    • author
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: July 18, 2018, 10:44:19 am »
    I've done a free worldwide and a .99 international.  Both made back the investment within a few days (and the sell-through on my free was phenomenal!!).  I'm still enjoying the benefits of sell-through now on my recent .99 international on a fourth book in a series.  Would I pay those prices if given the chance again?  Absolutely!

Offline Pandorra

• View Profile
      • Authors in Motion
    « Reply #7 on: July 18, 2018, 10:51:29 am »
    What if you can't do free or 99, do you still think that would be a valid expense?

Offline Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Durban, South Africa
    • Don't let your emotions overpower your intellect
      • View Profile
      • www.just4kix.jimdo.com
    « Reply #8 on: July 18, 2018, 10:56:41 am »
    I wonder how effective a free one is if you don't have a series. My books are all totally different (except Leon).

Non-fiction, Fiction, family saga, humour, short stories, teen, children's
    Jan Hurst-Nicholson | author website

Online Lydniz

• UK
      • View Profile
      • Credentials
    « Reply #9 on: July 18, 2018, 10:57:46 am »
    I wouldn't advertise a standalone, unless it was part of a set of at least similar books. For me Bookbub is all about the sell-through.

Offline Simon Haynes

• View Profile
      • spacejock.com.au
    « Reply #10 on: July 18, 2018, 10:58:12 am »
    I'm surprised they're not charging more. According to the 'sorry' email they keep sending me, only 20% of people who apply actually get a bookbub.

Also yWriter, free novel-writing software for Windows PCs. (Mac version in progress).
    SalesScanner, free KDP/Google Play/Kobo/Smashwords report analyser & aggregator.

Offline 69959

• View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: July 18, 2018, 11:00:39 am »
    Bookbub is hands-down the most bang for your advertising buck. They could charge more, and it would still be worth it. The longer the series, the better the return.

Offline starkllr

• View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: July 18, 2018, 11:08:30 am »
    I'm surprised they're not charging more. According to the 'sorry' email they keep sending me, only 20% of people who apply actually get a bookbub.

There's no way they accept 20% of the people who apply these days, at least if what I see from other authors both on here and on FB is any guide.

What if you could see everyone else's dreams?
    J.J. DiBenedetto | Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Smashwords | Goodreads

Offline Used To Be BH

• View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: July 18, 2018, 11:11:32 am »
    I have heard a few people complain that their BB promotion didn't have a positive ROI--but very few. The vast majority have the same response as indicated here.

To me, it's not about how much an ad costs. If the ad is expensive but has a positive ROI, I figure I've made a net gain.

I have yet to get a Bookbub, but if I were accepted, I'd be thrilled.
    I have not consented to the new Terms of Service, which were implemented without any announcement and without the ability to accept or reject them. My continued participation on the forum is related only to addressing this issue and cannot be construed as implied consent.  9/19/2018

Offline D A Bale

• United States
    • author
      • View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: July 18, 2018, 11:12:44 am »
    What if you can't do free or 99, do you still think that would be a valid expense?

I'm not exactly sure what you're asking here.  I doubt most indies would ever get a slot for a Bub above .99, so free (in a series) and .99 are usually the open options for we lowly subjects in the publishing realm.  Are you thinking of applying for something priced higher than that?  Standalone?

Offline katewrath

• New Mexico
      • View Profile
      • Kate's website
    « Reply #15 on: July 18, 2018, 11:16:12 am »
    The last Bookbub ad I had in 2016 literally bought me a new car.  Like *bam*, new car.  Based on that, my answer is a whopping "hell, yes".  I have been trying to get another one ever since and had no luck until just recently (and coincidentally my permafree is on Bookbub today.)  It is ranked #15 in the free store as I type this.  10,868 downloads and counting.  Follow through sales so far today have already recouped about 1/3 of the ad cost.  (This is reviving a series that I let slide for a couple of years due to personal stuff that took me away from my writing, so the sales previously were negligible).  Today's sales are mostly people who haven't even read the book yet and just automatically purchased the whole series.  Those will pick up as people read the book.

I have led up to this ad with other smaller advertisers this week, but they have not done a lot for me.

Last time I had a Bookbub ad, I think I had two less books in the series, so there is more sell-through potential now.  That said, I have really great sell-through on my series, except for my prequel which sadly, does not get the attention it deserves.  I also have two more books in another series, so it will be interesting to see if that picks up. 

Sell-through is key, here.  You also have to have a good cover, which it looks like you do.  The more books you have, the better.

But short answer is, if you can get your hands on a Bookbub deal, take it and run.

Kate Wrath | Kate's website

Offline Megan Crewe

• Toronto, ON, Canada
      • View Profile
    « Reply #16 on: July 18, 2018, 11:16:41 am »
    I've had four BookBub deals across the past 2 years. All of them made back what I spent on them within the first 24 hours with significant profits beyond that. Three of those were standalone books, so that profit was without any sequels to sell through to. (All were at 99c.) BB is the only promo site I've ever used where I can count on 2-4 sales the day of per $1 spent, whereas I haven't found any other that will consistently get me even 1 sale per $1.

So, yeah, it's totally worth it. Why would it be better to spend $50 and get 25 sales than to spend $500 and get 1500 sales? :)

Megan Crewe | website | facebook | twiter | tumblr | instagram

Offline Marti talbott

• Marti Talbott
      • View Profile
      • Marti Talbott's Books
    « Reply #17 on: July 18, 2018, 11:18:59 am »
    I agree, the prices are shocking. However, I went from making barely over $3k a month to $6k a month after a Bookbub, and it's still paying off. The book in question is the first free in four related series (the MacGreagor family saga, 35 books total). I also lowered my prices, so that helped. Wish I'd thought of that sooner.

They charge what the market will pay, and I'm willing to pay it when I can too. By the way, these books are wide, so I'm not sure it would be worth it for Amazon only. I've never tried that.
    Based on an actual event: The 1909 Dotsero Train Wreck https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B084H4Z23C/ref=dbs_a_def_rwt_hsch_vapi_tkin_p6_i5

Author of over 50 novels   www.martitalbott.com

Offline Psyche27

• We'll always have Paris.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #18 on: July 18, 2018, 11:19:57 am »
    The first time I paid about $400 or so to advertise a permafree first in series with two other books in the series priced at $3.99, for the next few days, I was earning about $2,000 a day on Draft2Digital(Itunes and Barnes & Noble), for about 10 days straight after the Ad. For me, Bookbub is it. Nothing else comes close. Not my mailing list, not Facebook, not any other kind of advertising. If you write in series and have a decent sell through, Bookbub is a must.
    Author, reader, player. Writes romance under various pen names.

Offline boba1823

• View Profile
    « Reply #19 on: July 18, 2018, 11:20:10 am »
    I'm not exactly sure what you're asking here.  I doubt most indies would ever get a slot for a Bub above .99, so free (in a series) and .99 are usually the open options for we lowly subjects in the publishing realm.  Are you thinking of applying for something priced higher than that?  Standalone?

Are the higher priced slots (e.g. $1.99, $2.99) more competitive such that indies aren't as likely to be accepted? Or do you just mean that you doubt most indies would apply?

I haven't applied for a Bookbub yet - haven't got around to setting up through iBooks just yet - but when I do, I'd planned to discount to $2.99. I was hoping maybe that was easier to get, lol, though mostly I just hate the idea of discounting any more than that.

Offline Taking my troll a$$ outta here

• don't trust vsAdmin
      • View Profile
    « Reply #20 on: July 18, 2018, 11:22:09 am »
    Content removed due to TOS Change of 2018. I do not agree to the terms.
    Many formally active members now participate in discussions here.
    « Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 12:38:47 pm by Taking my troll a$$ outta here 'cause IDFWU »
    Content removed due to TOS Change of 2018. I do not agree to the terms.
    Many formally active members now participate in discussions here.

Offline CassieL

• View Profile
    « Reply #21 on: July 18, 2018, 11:22:17 am »
    Why would it be better to spend $50 and get 25 sales than to spend $500 and get 1500 sales? :)

Exactly.

Also, I do know of one self-published author who has done well with them with non-99 cent or free options. And with a standalone. Mitty Walters. Maybe he'll chime in here. (But note that the ads get more expensive the higher your pricepoint.)

8 Pen Names. Genres: Non-fiction, Speculative Fiction, Romance.

Online Lydniz

• UK
      • View Profile
      • Credentials
    « Reply #22 on: July 18, 2018, 11:22:47 am »
    Are the higher priced slots (e.g. $1.99, $2.99) more competitive such that indies aren't as likely to be accepted? Or do you just mean that you doubt most indies would apply?

I haven't applied for a Bookbub yet - haven't got around to setting up through iBooks just yet - but when I do, I'd planned to discount to $2.99. I was hoping maybe that was easier to get, lol, though mostly I just hate the idea of discounting any more than that.

People who sign up to Bookbub's mailing list are looking for bargains. Many indie books are full-priced at $2.99, so $1.99 is not going to be that much of a deal for them.

Offline Megan Crewe

• Toronto, ON, Canada
      • View Profile
    « Reply #23 on: July 18, 2018, 11:23:01 am »
    By the way, these books are wide, so I'm not sure it would be worth it for Amazon only. I've never tried that.

Two of my BB deals have been for books that were Amazon exclusive, and they earned back the cost within 24 hours just like the wide ones did. You get a surge in KU borrows and reads that offsets what you might have gotten for wide sales.

It's a lot harder to get a deal in the first place if you're exclusive, though. I've only managed it for my YA books. My adult pen name books I've applied MANY times and still no go, even though they're more popular books with more reviews etc. *shrugs*

Megan Crewe | website | facebook | twiter | tumblr | instagram

Online Lydniz

• UK
      • View Profile
      • Credentials
    « Reply #24 on: July 18, 2018, 11:28:09 am »
    This is basically me when they send me the acceptance email:

KBoards.com

• Advertisement