Author Topic: Warning - influx of pirated material  (Read 2572 times)  

Offline CasperValentine

• View Profile
Warning - influx of pirated material
« on: July 31, 2018, 07:23:09 am »
Hey friends. I just wanted to give a heads up. I found a suspicious listing of my book on a site called kiss library.  I filed a complaint and just received the following email...

Hi,

We've removed the following books by your request:

They might still show up in search even though the book pages are removed - search index is automatically updated every
hour, so the books will be gone from the search soon.

We've suspended the users who have uploaded these books, we'll give them a week for explanation,
if they fail to provide proof of having a legal right to sell these books, we'll see if they have
any pending payments, which we can redirect to you instead. We'll use your email in this case.

We're very sorry about this situation - we've had an influx of copyright complaints recently
which we haven't seen before. Apparently someone has found a way to work around our copyright protection mechanism.
We have paused uploading of new listings to our site until we can design a better copyright verification system.

If you have any more questions, please write to [email protected]

Best regards,

Casper Valentine | facebook

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

bardsandsages

Re: Warning - influx of pirated material
    « Reply #1 on: July 31, 2018, 09:10:49 am »
    That's surprising that they actually volunteered to send you any pending payments AND they are working to address the issue.

They are already two steps ahead of Amazon lol

Offline CasperValentine

• View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: July 31, 2018, 09:34:32 am »
    That's surprising that they actually volunteered to send you any pending payments AND they are working to address the issue.

They are already two steps ahead of Amazon lol

Haha! Yes, I was shocked to get such a reply.

Offline mdeichler

• View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: July 31, 2018, 02:08:13 pm »
    They gave you a lot more information than me when I contacted them about a week ago after finding my book on their site. Thanks for the update!

Meredith Deichler | Twitter

Offline lyndabelle

• California-Where Copyright Laws Support Authors
      • View Profile
      • Lynda Belle's Blog/Website
    « Reply #4 on: July 31, 2018, 02:08:17 pm »
    I found this site yesterday myself, and my husband was adament about it maybe being a scam or phishing site. I think the weird thing is that they do have a DCMC tab and section form where you fill in your complaint info. An easy to be found one, too, I may add. I'm wondering if it was all set up to just scam the authors and get their info. I noticed it asks for emails, but do they ask for anything else so you can claim you are the proper publisher and author?

I'm asking because there are a lot of my back catalog on this site. But then, I don't want to download anything from it either. Plus, when I tried looking up what information there was on Kiss Library, reviews came up saying it was great, which can be EASILY bought. I was wondering how to approach it. And some red flags are going up. Plus, I also noticed the Google link to my book has a different URL than the website's domain.

Anybody else been working with this website? I've been trying to find out if they are legit or just trying to sucker in self-pubbing authors.

Also, just sent an email to "Writers Beware" blog about the site. I did a search there and didn't find anything on this website. It might have just popped up, even though information on the site says it was made in 2015 so self pubbing authors, comic book authors, and other creators could share their work.
    « Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 02:19:09 pm by lyndabelle »

Lynda Belle | Website | Amazon Author Page
    I do not consent to the new TOS, and do not give my consent by posting and maintaining my membership here. Date: 9-20-18

Offline Nobody222

• View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: July 31, 2018, 02:41:49 pm »
    How did you find your book? I have heard that that site is a scammy site with lots of pirated books, but I can't seem to find mine there. e.g. I searched for your book there and I couldn't find it on their search engine. How did you do find it?

Offline CasperValentine

• View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: July 31, 2018, 05:06:28 pm »
    How did you find your book? I have heard that that site is a scammy site with lots of pirated books, but I can't seem to find mine there. e.g. I searched for your book there and I couldn't find it on their search engine. How did you do find it?

Mine came up last night when I did a google search using my pen name and book title. I checked not long after they sent me that email earlier today and it was gone. They removed it within an hour of me filing the complaint.

Offline lyndabelle

• View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: July 31, 2018, 05:16:23 pm »
    I did a Google search too. I noticed the listing has a different domain name than Kiss Library. So, that instantly made me think, that is weird. Why is it going to this domain?

So, that was the first red flag.

I do not consent to the new TOS, and do not give my consent by posting and maintaining my membership here. Date: 9-20-18

Offline A Dark Path

• View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: July 31, 2018, 05:38:00 pm »
    Mine came up last night when I did a google search using my pen name and book title. I checked not long after they sent me that email earlier today and it was gone. They removed it within an hour of me filing the complaint.

Well, if they offer to forward any of the owed pending payments, I'd be very careful as to what information you give them.

Offline lyndabelle

• View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: July 31, 2018, 05:44:34 pm »
    Well, if they offer to forward any of the owed pending payments, I'd be very careful as to what information you give them.
    That's another red flag to me. I've never heard of a website doing this. It's all way too weird. I had books listed with All Romance Ebooks, and that didn't operate with a DCMC notice as a tab. It's like they are acting as a third party selling website, but there are a lot of my titles on it which I didn't put there. It's just way too weird. Because why would someone take pirated ebooks and sell them for $5? When the normal price at legitimate dealers is like $0.99. It's still smelling like a trap right now; scamming or phishing site. But there is hard to find anything legit on it except what could easily be seen as bogus or paid reviews. And if it was really started in 2015, I know I would have seen more information on the site from 3 years ago. It's like it just up and appeared all of a sudden.

Like I said. Tons of red flags.

Offline unkownwriter

• View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: August 01, 2018, 02:23:42 am »
    I hope you didn't give these people your banking info? Please say you didn't.

By the way, this whole piracy thing has been around for a long, long time. Most of us don't even bother messing with it, because you'll end up spending your time whacking moles in an endless game they're going to win. Most are not in the US, so good luck trying to get them to comply with any law here.

Offline Gone 9/21/18

• View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: August 01, 2018, 03:12:18 am »
    Well, I appreciate the heads up. They have a mishmash of one of mine -- title of novel, cover and blurb for related novella. Their DMCA notice only took a minute and doesn't require any personal information. If they offer payment, and I have trouble believing anyone would buy at the posted price, they can send me a check.

I do worry about books in KU on sites like this. Not long ago I had Smashwords reporting sales of books that have been unpublished with them for years.
    I did not and will not consent to VerticalScope's TOS.

bardsandsages

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2018, 05:25:04 am »
    I hope you didn't give these people your banking info? Please say you didn't.

We'll use your email in this case.
    This implies they will just send the money via PayPal.

After looking at the site, I believe they are a small company out of Canada. There response is surprisingly transparent (which is probably why we were all suspicious!). We are all so accustomed to Amazon's convoluted non-statements that direct replies throw us off lol

Offline TiffanyTurner

• Silicon Valley, CA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: August 01, 2018, 02:18:24 pm »
    None of my children's books are on there. So, looks like mainly romance is being targeted. Boo to pirates. People work hard to create a back list.
    I do not consent to the new TOS, and do not give my consent by posting and maintaining my membership here.
    Children's Adventure/Fantasy series
    www.tiffany-turner.com
    Blog: http://crystalkeeper.wordpress.com

KBoards.com

• Advertisement