Author Topic: Can the basic kindle be used in a bag?  (Read 899 times)  

Offline gaidinsgirl

• View Profile
Can the basic kindle be used in a bag?
« on: August 05, 2018, 12:06:20 pm »
I wasn't sure if this was an accessory question or not. My voyage (and previous Paperwhite) can be used in a water bag, for reading in the pool or bathtub. My husbands basic Kindle will not work in one. The screen goes all wonky, sometimes works, sometimes doesn't work if it's in our water bag or in a ziplock.

Is this just the way it is with all basic kindles or do we have a glitchy one?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 07:52:17 pm by gaidinsgirl »

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline jobo132435

• View Profile
    Re: Can the basic kindle be used in a bag?
    « Reply #1 on: August 09, 2018, 07:17:22 am »
    If the screen is going funby, stop it your over heating the device and that will lead to fairly premature failure, maybe the more expensive ones generate less heat, either way outing them in a sealed bag is not a good idea, though I admit better than dropping it in a swimming pool

Offline gaidinsgirl

• View Profile
    Can the basic kindle be used in a bag?
    « Reply #2 on: August 09, 2018, 07:17:37 pm »
    It isn't overheating. My other kindles, my iPad, my phone and older kindles I've had have all worked inside a ziplock
    or a bag made for keeping devices dry. This one doesn't. The bag causes the pages to turn, the font size to increase and words to highlight as if a finger was on it. I just wondered if this specific Kindle just doesn't work in a bag like every other device I have or if it's a defective device.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
    • Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
    • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey.
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #3 on: August 09, 2018, 07:53:30 pm »
    I'm not up on my Kindle models any more--I have an Oasis and it's my perfect Kindle, I've forsaken all others.  The basic now has a touch screen, right?  I *think* it has to do with the type of touch screen on the basic; I think it's the same kind as on my Kindle Touch, which had infrared sensors. You could use, say, a pencil eraser to change the screen.  The Paperwhite, the Voyage and the Oasis, on the other hand, use capacitive screens like tablets.  You have to actually use a finger or something with a capacitive tip.

So the plastic bag touching the screen is acting like touches--and sometimes multi-touching at the same time, which is why you get the font size changes--it appears to be pinching or spreading on the screen.

EDIT:  You can test this out of the bag.  Trying using a pencil eraser or something else that's not very hard to change pages on the basic and on your Voyage and see how they each behave.

Betsy
    « Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 07:56:33 pm by Betsy the Quilter »
    Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
    Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX    KB Member #72
    Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
    • Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #4 on: August 09, 2018, 08:08:37 pm »
    Research indicates that it does have an infrared sensor.  This review of the 2014 basic Kindle mentions it:
    https://goodereader.com/blog/electronic-readers/amazon-kindle-basic-2014-review

Betsy

Offline gaidinsgirl

• View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: August 10, 2018, 03:08:18 pm »
    Thank you, Betsy. That answers my question!

• Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #6 on: August 10, 2018, 04:30:09 pm »
    Great!  Maybe it's time to upgrade your husband's Kindle!  We have direct links in the top menu!

:D

Betsy

Offline gaidinsgirl

• View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: August 12, 2018, 05:26:52 am »
    Nah, hed get my voyage and I would get the upgrade. Ha.

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
    • Not really a moderator. :)
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: August 12, 2018, 05:37:23 am »
    :) Don't be so sure you'd prefer the Oasis. :)

We recently did a kindle re-shuffle in my family. My brother's DX basically died. So I passed the husband's basic to him and my 2016 Oasis became my husbands. I like the Voyage too much to share it. :D
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

• Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #9 on: August 12, 2018, 07:00:43 am »
    Nah, hed get my voyage and I would get the upgrade. Ha.

That's an excellent idea!

:) Don't be so sure you'd prefer the Oasis. :)

We recently did a kindle re-shuffle in my family. My brother's DX basically died. So I passed the husband's basic to him and my 2016 Oasis became my husbands. I like the Voyage too much to share it. :D

And I love, love, love, love (did I mention love?) my Oasis.  Vastly over the Voyage, which I thought was an excellent device.  But Ann's point is well taken.  Different strokes for different folks.  You need to get some hands-on.  If you were in northern Virginia, Ann and I could show you ours!

Betsy

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: August 12, 2018, 09:02:52 am »
    I recently got a basic, during the prime day sale. A fly kept landing on it and changing my pages.  ;D. We to have large flies in texas. My hair got on it and it wonked out. Tried to put font size and some other popup at the same time. I never had a kindle with infrared. Besides the fact that anything touching it can and will do things to it, its more responsive overall when just normally reading. Without the hair and flies I mean.  :P

As someone that is somewhat touchscreen challenged, it actually works better for me. Go figure. But yeah, won't do any good in a waterproof bag.

• Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #11 on: August 13, 2018, 03:00:38 pm »
    I recently got a basic, during the prime day sale. A fly kept landing on it and changing my pages.  ;D. We to have large flies in texas. My hair got on it and it wonked out. Tried to put font size and some other popup at the same time. I never had a kindle with infrared. Besides the fact that anything touching it can and will do things to it, its more responsive overall when just normally reading. Without the hair and flies I mean.  :P

As someone that is somewhat touchscreen challenged, it actually works better for me. Go figure. But yeah, won't do any good in a waterproof bag.

Hahahaha, Atunah.  I remember people talking about flies changing the pages when the Kindle Touch was the newest Kindle.

Offline jobo132435

• View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: August 18, 2018, 04:51:45 am »
    It isn't overheating. My other kindles, my iPad, my phone and older kindles I've had have all worked inside a ziplock
    or a bag made for keeping devices dry. This one doesn't. The bag causes the pages to turn, the font size to increase and words to highlight as if a finger was on it. I just wondered if this specific Kindle just doesn't work in a bag like every other device I have or if it's a defective device.

You are most certainly over heating it and your other devices, how anyone can think putting an electronic device that produces heat and requires ventilation in an air tight plastic bag,is a good idea I do know!! You shouldn't really take them out in the sun on a hot day If you want to maximize useful life, never mind a hot day in a plastic bag

If  this is causing your screen issue is another thing all together, though the issues you describe are certainly indicative of a over heating device

• Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #13 on: August 18, 2018, 05:38:45 am »
    You are most certainly over heating it and your other devices, how anyone can think putting an electronic device that produces heat and requires ventilation in an air tight plastic bag,is a good idea I do know!! You shouldn't really take them out in the sun on a hot day If you want to maximize useful life, never mind a hot day in a plastic bag

If  this is causing your screen issue is another thing all together, though the issues you describe are certainly indicative of a over heating device

Jobo132435, the Kindles are not harmed by a short time in a plastic bag.  This is common practice among Kindle owners.  I wouldn't recommend it for a tablet as you are right, they generate quite a bit of heat.  My original Kindle from 2008 has been in a plastic bag many times and still works fine.

The issue gaidingirl described is most certainly caused by the infrared touch sensor.

Since you seem to want to only argue this point, which is NOT responsive to gaidinsgirl's question, you are banned from the thread.

PM me if you have any questions.

Betsy
    KB Moderator
    « Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 05:43:34 am by Betsy the Quilter »

KBoards.com

• Advertisement