Author Topic: COURTESAN (SF)  (Read 5733 times)  

Offline D.A. Boulter

• View Profile
Re: COURTESAN (or: Why is Jaswinder hounding me?)
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2011, 05:13:31 pm »
Why, thank you, Daphne.  It is always nice to hear that one's work is appreciated.  And I'm sure that Jaswinder would take especial pride that your love of hyperspace physics dominated all else . . . that is what you said, right?

And, as of today, Courtesan has sold 150 copies.  I'm glad that you enjoyed yours.  Now that my travails with "Ghost Fleet" are over, perhaps I can get back to Courtesan's sequel.

Free: "Prey": http://bit.ly/hiFPUO
I do not agree to the new terms.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline geoffthomas

• Derwood, Maryland
    • Member 2434
      • View Profile
    « Reply #26 on: January 14, 2011, 06:54:19 pm »
    We will be right here waiting for it.

Just sayin......

Miss you, Dona, Jeff & Harvey! | Member since 02/27/2009 | e-books by Lynn Abbey, CJ Cherryh, & Jane Fancher
    TANSTAAFL (There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch)

Offline D.A. Boulter

• View Profile
    « Reply #27 on: February 18, 2011, 03:04:48 pm »
    SOS! Danger, danger, Doug Boulter!

For the first time another book of mine is out-selling 'Courtesan' in the monthly sales department. Jaswinder, therefore, demands that I put up something to redirect attention her way. 'But you are all brothers and sisters,' I say, trying to deflect her anger.  'You are all equal in my eyes.'

You can guess how well that worked out. I got a good shellacking. Apparently I've been paying more attention to the 'baby' than to her. 'Ghost Fleet' even got a KB-BOTD spot last month. And, I haven't even brought to the attention of the world that she received a review from our own B. Tackitt, who said she kinda liked Jaswinder and gave her 4 stars (http://www.amazon.com/Courtesan-ebook/product-reviews/B003P2VH98/).

So, with this post, I can consider duty done, Jaswinder appeased and get back to my final editing of "The Steadfasting", a sword & sorcery novel which I hope to have up this month or next at latest -- given I can find a cover for it. Yeah, like that'll please Jaswinder. Ah, the life of an author has it's ups and downs. [Getting harangued by Jaswider ain't one of the ups--just so you'll be under no false impressions.]

Thank you, B. Tackitt for the review and many thanks to all who've purchased Courtesan and kept the attention of a certain character elsewhere.

Live the joy,

Doug.

Offline geoffthomas

• Derwood, Maryland
    • Member 2434
      • View Profile
    Re: COURTESAN (or: Browbeaten by a character--the fate of authors everywhere)
    « Reply #28 on: February 18, 2011, 04:38:29 pm »
    Well I liked Ghost Fleet a lot.
    And certainly Courtesan was so good that it got me sucked in to reading things authored by Mr. Boulter.
    But Pelgraff remains my favorite (as I have said elsewhere).

Just sayin.....

Miss you, Dona, Jeff & Harvey! | Member since 02/27/2009 | e-books by Lynn Abbey, CJ Cherryh, & Jane Fancher

Offline D.A. Boulter

• View Profile
    Re: COURTESAN (Jaswinder resurgent and triumphant!)
    « Reply #29 on: March 09, 2011, 06:21:46 pm »
    February ended, a dark, terrible month. Ghost Fleet outsold Courtesan 22-18 ending Courtesan's reign as my top selling novel for each month. Jaswinder couldn't believe it and began plotting to put herself back on top. First she asked [read nagged me] for a new cover, started a campaign to get others to suggest this same to me [read nag] until I finally gave in and commissioned one.

Not satisfied, that tramp then seduced (by what means, I'm not sure and I'm not asking) our own Nathan Lowell into promoting her on his blog. The sales started coming in; the new cover went up and the sales continued. Today is the fifth day with double-digit sales for Courtesan and it's outselling all 3 of my other books at a rate exceeding 3-1.

Now I'm getting the 'I told you so' speech, solely (I believe) to firmly put me in my place. Ah, well, at least it is better than the nagging.

Unfortunately, Arialla, daughter of Dellem, has begun suggesting that if she and her book, 'The Steadfasting', were to get a nice cover and get published, she could give Jaswinder a run for her money.  It never ends.
    « Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 06:23:30 pm by D.A. Boulter »

Offline 13893

• View Profile
    I just saw this new cover, and I love it.

edit:

« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 01:15:06 pm by LKRigel »

Offline D.A. Boulter

• View Profile
    Jaswinder wants to thank all who have read of her exploits in Courtesan. Eight people have now reviewed it favourably. She waited a long time for the reviews and now is happy enough to not bug me much any longer.

Jaswinder's Universe faces rough times ahead. Her sequel progresses, but slowly. New ideas keep intruding and I'm beginning to wonder if I can fit it all in one book.

Joe E Katt is happy with the sales bump. He figures he's now entitled to an upgrade in food. (He already gets the good stuff.) I tell him that I haven't seen a penny, yet. He doesn't see my point. As mentioned in my last post -- it just keeps on keeping on.

Offline D.A. Boulter

• View Profile
    Re: COURTESAN (SF) New Landmarks: 20 reviews and 3000 sold
    « Reply #32 on: September 16, 2011, 01:03:20 pm »
    Well, wouldn't you know it. You miss miss an anniversary, a birthday, a special day and all sorts of passive-aggressiveness tumbles down about your head. Okay, let's be realistic here, Jaswinder is never passive. So, I just got the aggressiveness, straight up and pure.

Forgive me. I forgot to mention your 3000th sale last month and your 20th review.

There. That's out of the way and no, I don't really expect it to do any good. She's still nagging me about her new book which, due to other scheduling, isn't coming along fast enough for her. [Translation: I'm not devoting all my time to it, as I have a couple others before it in the queue.] The list of subplots for "Not With a Whimper" keep growing and if this keeps up, by the time I write it, it'll have to be a trilogy -- not wanting that.

Nonetheless:

August saw Courtesan's 3000th sale!

Rah, Team! Jaswinder presents her compliments to those who read her story. She's quite thrilled about the whole thing.

When I first became a word slut, uh, word wh--, uh, Professional, yeah, that's the term, I always hoped that I would eventually sell 1000 copies of each book I put up. I'm just so happy that it actually happened. Though it's nice to get paid, I'm also really happy that 3000+ people have my book available to read if not already read. It's a great feeling and I feel that the time and work I put into my characters has been vindicated.

August saw Courtesan's 20th review!

And it is really, really nice to know that 20 people thought enough of my work to post reviews averaging 4.5 stars.

Thanks to all.

Doug

Offline D.A. Boulter

• View Profile
    Re: COURTESAN (SF) Over 4000 not unhappy customers
    « Reply #33 on: April 23, 2012, 05:40:28 pm »
    I see by the calendar on the wall that it's time for my semi-annual bump of this thread!

Courtesan has now sold over 4000 copies and most of those who bought haven't complained or returned it. I must have done something right.

As usual, my characters claim that any favourable views are due to them and any unfavourable comments are due to my translation of what they told me. Sometimes you can't win for losing. But Jaswinder is showing signs of contentment due to the fact that I'm about to begin writing the first draft to her sequel. But, [cue evil laughter] vengeance is mine, saith the Doug, and she's in for a world of trouble. That world being Earth, but who am I to foreshadow?

She thought I'd be all sweetness and light, thought she'd suffered enough in Courtesan. Ha! Try marriage problems, an unsolvable hyperspace physics problem, and the end of everything as she knows it. Not to mention the worry one's children can put one through. Nag me, will she? Make my life a misery, will she? She's about to taste the retribution of the author!

But that's for the future. For today, Jaswinder and I toast to the 4000+ lucky folks who picked up Courtesan.

Offline D.A. Boulter

• View Profile
    Re: COURTESAN (SF)
    « Reply #34 on: May 11, 2012, 08:24:23 pm »
    To recap:

Courtesan

She needed a ship to escape pursuers; he a companion on a trip to the stars.  The deal seemed straight-forward, but neither told the other everything.

Jaswinder Saroya believed that her research in the area of Hyperspace Field Theory would benefit everyone: Family Traders, the InterPlanetary Corporations, Earth's Colonies and governments alike. She erred in not considering commercial and political consequences. Now, someone wants to steal or bury her research and, perhaps, her with it. With no way to fight this unknown foe, Jaswinder knows she has but one chance--complete her research and publish. To do that, she has to stay alive and stay free.

Pilot Johannes Yrden desires a courtesan, someone to keep him company on the 8 month trip to the planet Liberty and back. He wants someone not from the Yrden Family spaceship and to hell with his brother, Captain Matt Yrden, who believes the TransPlanetary Corporations will stock his line-up with spies.

Yrden's plan runs afoul of circumstance, which throws him together with one 'Jazz Saro', a woman on the run. Forced to run with her, Yrden allows her to convince him to sign her on as courtesan. He needs a companion; she needs a ship, a place to hide. It seems a simple enough arrangement.

Jaswinder thinks she's found her perfect solution: a hiding place in hyperspace, where she can complete her research using the ship as her laboratory. Unfortunately, she hasn't reckoned on the possibility of one of her pursuers booking passage, forcing her to maintain the fiction of her alias. The pilot's family, with troubles of their own, grow suspicious and it becomes apparent she cannot complete her research openly. That leaves her the choice: Do what she needs to do to in order to save Jaswinder's life or become Jazz Saro.

Second Anniversary Approaching

In 3 weeks, Jaswinder's second anniversary of being published will arrive. She's excited. So excited that she's demanding her anniversary present: Get to work on my sequel.

As those who've read this thread know, I started it some time ago. But I kept getting sidetracked. Arialla forced me to complete her story "The Steadfasting", and then Rel Panace came along with his story, "In the Company of Cowards". I just completed the first draft of that--and it was a hard one. In it I wanted to touch on the line between bravery and cowardice, sacrifice and suicide. Then someone I knew actually did commit suicide and it threw me and my writing of "Company" for a loop. In fact, it mostly stopped me from writing for months.

Then, the only thing I could do between fits and starts on "Company", was to re-edit and (in places) rewrite a novel I already had written. I published it recently as "Enemy of Korgan". Getting that done broke the log-jam, and I found I could once again concentrate on "Company". Now that its first draft is done, I plan on setting it aside for a time and feel ready to take on Jaswinder's sequel, "Not With A Whimper". Unfortunately, perhaps, ideas for it have continued to grow, branching off in ever new directions. I don't know if I'll be able to fit it all in one book.

So, for Jaswinder's second anniversary present, I now officially begin on her sequel.
    « Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 08:28:51 pm by D.A. Boulter »

Offline D.A. Boulter

• View Profile
    Re: COURTESAN (SF) -- Happy Birthday, Jaswinder. $0.99 Celebration
    « Reply #35 on: June 02, 2012, 12:42:26 pm »
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY, JASWINDER

On June 3rd, 2010, Courtesan went live. Jaswinder, the book's main character (at least in her opinion) became ecstatic. "I feel as if I've just been born, and the galaxy lies at my feet," she said ... or words to that effect. I, the poor author, apparently had little, if anything, to do with that. All my hard work barely got mentioned. She just stood, much like Frankenstein's Monster, and proclaimed: "I LIVE! -- Where's my sequel?"

Yes, I have a new appreciation and sympathy for poor Frankenstein. Um, don't let Jaswinder know I said that. Please.

SO, on the event of her second birthday, Jaswinder has proclaimed (what's with all the proclaiming?) that the price of Courtesan shall be forthwith reduced to $0.99 for a limited time, that all may partake of her wonderfulness.

Please, please, take advantage, if only to read the sample--or even sample the sample. She's a madwoman ... and she has a whip. My back bears crisscrossed welts from the 'encouragement' she gives me to write ever faster on her sequel (which now has 30K words put down). [I look back to the happy times when Officer Alan McLean would take me for 'a walk around the block', whenever I slacked on PELGRAFF.]

Courtesan: Now $0.99 for at least the next week, and possibly for all of June -- she hasn't decided yet.

Enjoy.
    « Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 12:45:22 pm by D.A. Boulter »

Offline D.A. Boulter

• View Profile
    Courtesan will remain at $0.99 at least until Saturday ... possibly longer if laziness and worry about my cat stops me from changing the price. It's so hard clicking here, typing in a new price, clicking again, republishing ... the tough life of an author. {sigh}

So, get it while it's still available at this low, low, anniversary price. It won't last forever. Even ennui and procrastination have their limits.

Offline D.A. Boulter

• View Profile
    Re: COURTESAN (SF) -- nearing 3rd year
    « Reply #37 on: April 30, 2013, 02:47:18 pm »
    My how the time has flown. We're now just a month away from the 3rd anniversary of Courtesan going Live on Amazon.

Jaswinder denies that she has gotten any older. Says she'll always remain the same age. And to an extent that is true -- which is one reason that books so appeal. The characters remain the same, an anchor to come back to in the changeable times in which we live our lives. Unlike old friends, they don't change, stop taking your calls, move away.

Jaswinder and the Yrdens welcome you to their adventures and promise that every time you pick up Courtesan, they'll return to you again, just the way you left them, ready to entertain anew, telling the same story, just as old friends are wont to do. But, in a second (or third ... or nth) reading, though the words remain the same, you'll have changed and find that it may speak to you in a different way -- or it may simply remind of old times.

A book as a friend is a constant friend. Why not make friends with Jaswinder today?

Offline Shane Ward

• London
    • I write Sci-Fi
      • View Profile
      • Author: Shane Ward
    « Reply #38 on: April 30, 2013, 04:11:09 pm »
    Looks interesting. I'll add it to my list  :o

Thanks.
    Shane

Download the Terminus X Novel
    Click above image.

For more information visit: -
    (www.shaneward.net)

Main Topic | Terminus X Topic | Facebook | Twitter

Offline D.A. Boulter

• View Profile
    « Reply #39 on: May 02, 2013, 12:45:44 pm »
    Looks interesting. I'll add it to my list  :o

Thanks.
    Shane

Thanks. I always recommend looking at the sample. If you don't like it, you're little farther behind -- just lost some time, not money.

Jaswinder thanks you, too.

Offline D.A. Boulter

• View Profile
    « Reply #40 on: November 29, 2014, 11:23:42 am »
    Another year has passed, and Jaswinder remains out there in the Big Empty, steering a course for safety and home.

Courtesan tells her story of a flight to safety from those would would take what is hers by force, leaving her with  no choice but to bow down or to run. Ever resourceful, she runs, now able to trust no one. But without trust, she can never achieve that which she desires. Can she put aside the distrust long enough to find a place to rest? Read Courtesan and find out.

Offline D.A. Boulter

• View Profile
    « Reply #41 on: June 03, 2015, 08:45:04 pm »
    Courtesan has just celebrated its fifth anniversary. It seems hard to believe that five years have passed.

Offline D.A. Boulter

• View Profile
    Re: COURTESAN (SF) Smashwords.com sale: 50% off week of 06-12 Mar
    « Reply #42 on: March 06, 2016, 03:12:24 am »
    Smashwords.com is having their annual "Read an ebook week" sale.

The following books of mine are 50% off for the week -- now selling for $1.50 - $2.00 (No automatic loading, you have to load it onto your e-reader yourself. Availible in .mobi (for Kindle), pdf, epub, etc. or you can read it online in your browser.

Use the code RAE50 to get your 50% off.

Courtesan 50% off -- $1.50
    https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/45733

In The Company of Cowards 50% off -- $1.50
    https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/234829

A Throne At Stake 50% off -- $1.50
    https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/574710

Enemy of Korgan 50%off -- $1.50
    https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/176245

The Steadfasting 50% off -- $2.00
    https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/54720

Ghost Fleet 50% off -- $2.00
    https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/38098

Pelgraff 50% off -- $2.00
    https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/20606

Piltons Moon/Vengeance is mine 50% off -- $1.50
    https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/25791

Offline geoffthomas

• Derwood, Maryland
    • Member 2434
      • View Profile
    « Reply #43 on: March 06, 2016, 07:28:54 am »
    These are all great reads.
    I wish I had not already read them.....hey I can go re-read them (again).
    Good Luck, Mr. Boulter.

Offline D.A. Boulter

• View Profile
    « Reply #44 on: March 06, 2016, 01:51:23 pm »
    These are all great reads.
    I wish I had not already read them.....hey I can go re-read them (again).
    Good Luck, Mr. Boulter.

Thank you.

Well, I have the next book in the Colleen Yrden saga finished first draft. It's the sequel to Trading For The Stars. It should be out by the end of the month or early next month.

I'm also still working on the sequel to Courtesan. It got too big and had too many threads so I've split it up into 4 different books that will run in a concurrent time-frame. Three will be shorter novels -- about the length of Courtesan and one a longer one. It's caused me nothing but headaches.

Offline D.A. Boulter

• View Profile
    Re: COURTESAN (SF) 6th anniversary
    « Reply #45 on: May 30, 2016, 04:03:24 am »
    Well, well, well. It seems we're approaching the 6th anniversary of the publication of Courtesan. My how the years have flown. I spent the last twenty minutes reading through the previous posts in this thread, and feeling a little shudder go through me when I realize that I promised "Not With A Whimper" over five years ago and still haven't completed it.

I did as I thought I'd have to do. I broke it up into four different books. One I've finished, but they all take place during the same three-five months, and there's a bit of bleed-through, so I think I'll have to finish all four before publishing them. Jaswinder is annoyed.

Ah, six years I've been at it, and I still get a little thrill when I see a sale for one of my books. Merely the fact that someone has found my book and thought it worth buying brings a warmth to me.

Courtesan doesn't get many new readers these days, about 1-3 per month, but when I pub a new book in her universe, it jumps for a short time. I still have good feelings for her, despite her lack of empathy for what a writer must endure.

So, once again I shill for Jaswinder, whose story she forced me to tell. "Come, one; come, all. See Jaswinder in her prime, read Courtesan today! Be amazed; be thrilled; [get her off my back]."

Offline D.A. Boulter

• View Profile
    « Reply #46 on: March 16, 2019, 03:25:21 am »
    Courtesan, my first published book now has its sequel(s) finished.

But, first, take a look at where Jaswinder came from -- she'll appreciate it. I'll appreciate it as she continues to blast me for leaving her sequel for so long.

When Jaswinder Saroya found herself beset on all sides, she had only one option open to her -- RUN! With the help of Johannes Yrden, she attained space, and felt herself safe for the moment. But safetly -- and a place to relax -- eludes her as one of her hunters may have boarded the ship as well, and Johannes's family looks askance at his new 'courtesan'.

Read Courtesan today, then find out what happens to Jaswinder as her story completes in the Not With A Whimper series.

All four books of the Not With A Whimper series are now published and available on KU

Not With A Whimper: Producers
    Not With A Whimper: Destroyers
    Not With A Whimper: Preservers
    Not With A Whimper: Survivors

Offline D.A. Boulter

• View Profile
    « Reply #47 on: May 12, 2019, 05:29:13 am »
    Time to take another look at Courtesan. Almost nine years since I published it, and now the sequel (Not With A Whimper series) is out.

It all started with Pelgraff. It began with a throw-away line which referenced a scientist named Jaswinder Saroya. Then I began to wonder just who this scientist was and what her life had been like. Eventually I wrote a short story which ended at the point where she gets a lift up to the Yrden ship. But Jaswinder kept haunting me, wanting me to tell the rest of her story.

Eventually I gave in, and the short story became a novel. The novel sold some 4000 copies and some people wanted 'more Jazz'. It took years, but finally I finished Not With A Whimper.

So, take your time to immerse yourself in Jaswinder's life. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Read Courtesan today, then find out what happens to Jaswinder as her story completes in the Not With A Whimper series.

All four books of the Not With A Whimper series are now published and available on KU

Not With A Whimper: Producers
    Not With A Whimper: Destroyers
    Not With A Whimper: Preservers
    Not With A Whimper: Survivors

Offline D.A. Boulter

• View Profile
    « Reply #48 on: October 04, 2020, 06:25:41 am »
    Well, once again over a year has passed since I updated this thread. Jaswinder still wants me to promote her very own story, Courtesan. Over ten years, now, since I published it, and she's happy that the sequel (Not With A Whimper series) is out, too.

Her distant decendent, Clay, married an outsider, Colleen, who, like Jaswinder joined the family only to become a very important part of it. But Courtesan is where it all started, and a good place to begin your reading in the Yrden Universe.

Jaswinder's waiting for you. Don't make her wait too long; she has her ways of making others pay!"

KBoards.com

• Advertisement