Author Topic: Createspace/KDP Consolidation and Print Migration (MERGED)  (Read 27120 times)  

Offline Ros_Jackson

• View Profile
Createspace/KDP Consolidation and Print Migration (MERGED)
« on: August 27, 2018, 01:19:05 pm »
It's happening, folks. The Amazon page that explained how to easily migrate from Createspace to KDP print now redirects here, to this much more general explanation:

https://kdp.amazon.com/en_US/help/topic/G202059560

Meanwhile, there was an input to tell Amazon to switch from Createspace to KDP just by entering your CS ISBN, and that seems to have gone.

Ros Jackson | author website | blog | twitter | goodreads

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline inconsequential

• View Profile
    Re: Createspace to KDP Print migration
    « Reply #1 on: August 27, 2018, 01:26:01 pm »
    So what does this mean? That we can no longer migrate our books from Createspace to KDP, or that they're going to be doing it for us?

Offline Ros_Jackson

• View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: August 27, 2018, 02:17:14 pm »
    I don't know, Inconsequential. I've sent a support request to ask for further advice. I suspect it means they'll be handling it given the scale of the move, but I had been hoping for a bit more time to get things sorted and, as per David Gaughran's recent advice, make the move ahead of the rush.

Ros Jackson | author website | blog | twitter | goodreads

Offline Nate Hoffelder

• I build websites, and blog about ebooks
      • View Profile
      • Nate Hoffelder
    « Reply #3 on: August 27, 2018, 03:38:16 pm »
    So what does this mean? That we can no longer migrate our books from Createspace to KDP, or that they're going to be doing it for us?

I heard on FB that Createspace is telling authors that that it is moving to KDP Print.

Offline Ty Johnston

• USA
      • View Profile
      • Author Ty Johnston
    « Reply #4 on: August 27, 2018, 03:49:38 pm »
    Funny. I predicted this a couple of years ago and was told by numerous authors I was crazy, that it would never happen. Just a lucky guess on my part, but it seemed common sense to me from a business perspective. Also figured Author Central would also eventually be wrapped into KDP or vice versa, putting all Amazon author services under one roof (maybe even Audible, but that would likely be the last move, in my guess).

Ty Johnston | blog

Offline Nobody222

• View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: August 27, 2018, 04:28:53 pm »
    The problem is that KDP Print's expanded distribution does not englobe Australia, Bookdepository, etc., as far as I know, which is a shame.

Offline Used To Be BH

• View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: August 27, 2018, 04:44:57 pm »
    You'd think Amazon would want people to initiate the process themselves rather than having to batch-migrate everyone who's left themselves.

Perhaps Amazon has noticed people migrating to Ingram and figures changing everybody over quickly might hold some people through inertia.
    I have not consented to the new Terms of Service, which were implemented without any announcement and without the ability to accept or reject them. My continued participation on the forum is related only to addressing this issue and cannot be construed as implied consent.  9/19/2018

Offline Shane Lochlann Black

• Lexicon Hollow
    • Write something funny by 4PM or you're fired.
      • View Profile
      • The Committee to Ban Shane Lochlann Black
    « Reply #7 on: August 27, 2018, 04:48:24 pm »
    Maybe I can have a paperback minimum list price less than $17 now.  But I doubt it.  My competition is retailing at $5 and change.  Selling print books is kind of like running the Preakness riding a coffee table. 

Offline Amanda M. Lee

• Listen to me, you will.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: August 27, 2018, 04:49:30 pm »
    I don't want to move 175 books. Wah!

Amanda M. Lee

Offline Amanda M. Lee

• View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: August 27, 2018, 05:01:18 pm »
    Seems it really is official. CS is no longer allowing new manuscript uploads according to this post...

http://www.selfpublishingforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&p=5125#p5125

Nothing so far on the CS community announcements, though. It doesn't surprise me, sad though. Ugh, now I have to transfer stuff!
    I clicked the "add a title" button and it was allowed. I have various books that are loaded through there but not sent through yet. I'm not sure what I'm going to do about them.

Amanda M. Lee

Offline CassieL

• View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: August 27, 2018, 05:03:58 pm »
    « Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 04:02:45 pm by CassieL »

8 Pen Names. Genres: Non-fiction, Speculative Fiction, Romance.

Offline Amanda M. Lee

• View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: August 27, 2018, 05:07:53 pm »
    Just log into CreateSpace and there's a big banner at the top to do the migration. I just went through it. You link both accounts, hit a button, and done.

And, of course, they [expletive]ed mine up. I have books that didn't make it over and unpublished versions that linked to my ebooks instead of the published versions. (Mostly because I had, for example, a color version and a black and white version of some of my titles, so probably not an issue most of you will face but I am not happy right now to have them completely drop well-selling books.)
    Yeah. I'm worried about this. Did you have any drafts? I have several drafts sitting in there and I'm wondering what's going to happen to them. I can load the bulk of them in the next two weeks and send them through. I would like to see if that's possible but I just ... can't even.

Amanda M. Lee

Offline My Dog's Servant

• View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: August 27, 2018, 05:08:36 pm »
    Ah, shoot! I'd been dithering because I didn't want to move to KDP, but I also didn't want to buy ISBNs or pay Ingram's upload fee (assuming I wouldn't get lucky and get a freebie). My print sales simply don't make enough to justify those costs.

I suspect Bill Hiatt has it right--that Amazon saw all the folks migrating to Ingram and wanted to circumvent that loss, if possible, by forcing the move to their side.

I just called my sister (8 pm EST US). Most of her sales are print and she was working toward moving it all to Ingram. She was on the CS site this morning and the notice wasn't there then.

Offline Some Random Guy

• Planet Earth
      • View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: August 27, 2018, 05:08:45 pm »
    I let them batch move my 12 over just now.  Seems to have been about as seamless as I've seen any IT-based migration.  My big question is what will they do with the amounts CS owes me in GBP and EU since I haven't hit the magical 100 number for either to get a check cut.

That being said, if I can find a free setup coupon for IS, I'm going to start migrating my paperbacks over to IS and have them join my hardcovers, starting with the ones for whom I own the ISBN.

Offline ilamont

• Mass.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: August 27, 2018, 05:15:01 pm »
    I am not seeing the banner and CS just let me start the process of creating a new title (didn't follow through, but the regular setup screen still appears after clicking "Add New Title").

Maybe they are migrating accounts in batches?

Offline My Dog's Servant

• View Profile
    « Reply #15 on: August 27, 2018, 05:31:27 pm »
    8:30 p.m. EST....I'd seen the banner on CS at 8 pm, logged out, come here to see what was being said, went back....and now there's no banner. Guess I had my chance... :P

ETA...I futzed around, went to a few odd pages, came back to the dashboard, and the banner was back. Dunno, but guess I'll move and decide about Ingram later. Probably much later.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 06:01:55 pm by My Dog's Servant »

Offline CassieL

• View Profile
    « Reply #16 on: August 27, 2018, 05:39:44 pm »
    « Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 04:03:05 pm by CassieL »

Offline Jerri Kay Lincoln

• Arizona mountains
    • The happier you are, the happier you are . . .
      • View Profile
      • JerriLincoln
    « Reply #17 on: August 27, 2018, 05:57:08 pm »
    I guess this means that KDP print is finally out of beta . . . it would be crazy for them to do it if it wasn't.

JK Lincoln

Offline My Dog's Servant

• View Profile
    « Reply #18 on: August 27, 2018, 06:02:45 pm »
    So...I moved. Hit the link, pushed the button to agree, signed into my KDP account when it said to, clicked a few "next" as it finished each section, then sat and read the news on my iPhone for 5 minutes while all 6 print titles moved over. The 6 print versions appear on the bookshelf with an ASIN that's the CS 10-digit ISBN. All the titles that don't have a print version now show empty boxes urging me to start one.  Can't see any button to order copies but I'm assume it's there somewhere. The metadata on the book pages still show CreateSpace as the publisher. Total time involved for 6 titles, maybe 10 minutes.

Easy peasy.  Color me surprised!

Offline Some Random Guy

• Planet Earth
      • View Profile
    « Reply #19 on: August 27, 2018, 06:11:09 pm »
    Addendum to my last.  Two hours after batch migrating my 12 paperbacks from CS to KDP, all sales figures past and present appear in my KDP dashboard, as do all paperback royalties owing, including the GBP and EU royalties that haven't been paid since 2015 because I didn't hit the magic 100 quid/euro figure (yeah, I don't sell much paperbacks outside the US).  So far, all is good in my universe.

Offline Amanda M. Lee

• View Profile
    « Reply #20 on: August 27, 2018, 06:12:06 pm »
    So...I moved. Hit the link, pushed the button to agree, signed into my KDP account when it said to, clicked a few "next" as it finished each section, then sat and read the news on my iPhone for 5 minutes while all 6 print titles moved over. The 6 print versions appear on the bookshelf with an ASIN that's the CS 10-digit ISBN. All the titles that don't have a print version now show empty boxes urging me to start one.  Can't see any button to order copies but I'm assume it's there somewhere. The metadata on the book pages still show CreateSpace as the publisher. Total time involved for 6 titles, maybe 10 minutes.

Easy peasy.  Color me surprised!
    Mine has been cycling for more than an hour, lol. I will probably have to leave it all night at this rate.

Amanda M. Lee

Offline CassieL

• View Profile
    « Reply #21 on: August 27, 2018, 06:15:42 pm »
    « Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 04:03:26 pm by CassieL »

Offline Nobody222

• View Profile
    « Reply #22 on: August 27, 2018, 06:23:34 pm »
    Nothing has appeared on my CS dashboard yet.

Also, I'm a bit scared to do the move, because of the expanded distribution issue I mentioned above.

@notjohn -- has your KDP Print book appeared on book depository, barnes & nobles, amazon Australia etc yet?

Offline inconsequential

• View Profile
    « Reply #23 on: August 27, 2018, 06:24:29 pm »
    Where is this banner located? I don't have one on my dashboard page.

Offline Some Random Guy

• Planet Earth
      • View Profile
    « Reply #24 on: August 27, 2018, 06:27:26 pm »
    I certainly hope they don't use this as an excuse to not pay August royalties that were already earned until October. That would suck.
    As someone who has been paid by checks mailed at erratic intervals with no idea when to expect them, being sure that I'm getting my August paperback royalties via direct deposit in October will be a net improvement.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement