Author Topic: Createspace/KDP Consolidation and Print Migration (MERGED)  (Read 25492 times)  

Offline Nobody222

• View Profile
Re: Createspace/KDP Consolidation and Print Migration (MERGED)
« Reply #325 on: September 14, 2018, 03:51:17 am »
Got the message and had to migrate my books 4 days ago.

Result? Expanded distribution is being killed... some of my books are already showing as Temporarily Out of Stock Online on barnesandnobles and other sites.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Jill James

• Biggest Little City in the World
      • View Profile
      • Jill James, romance writer
    « Reply #326 on: September 14, 2018, 10:29:36 am »
    Mine too. Was very disappointed since they have been at B&N for years.
    Ghostly Deceptions: 8%

Ghostly Perceptions: 1%
    A Little Sweet. A Little Sexy. A Lot Happily-Ever-After.
    Jill James | blog | website | Facebook | Twitter | newsletter

Offline Ann Herrick

• Oregon
      • View Profile
      • Books for Kids and Teens
    « Reply #327 on: September 17, 2018, 01:19:12 pm »
    I received no notice about Createspace closing! If I move my books to KDP for paperback will I be able to buy author copies at the same rate as at Createspace?
    Amazon Author Page: http://tinyurl.com/6pqf29e

Offline Taichi girl

• View Profile
    Re: Createspace to KDP Print migration
    « Reply #328 on: September 17, 2018, 02:31:39 pm »
    I certainly hope they don't use this as an excuse to not pay August royalties that were already earned until October. That would suck.
    Hello so all seems to have gone well with my transfer except since the day my books went to kdp i haven't seen one sale! 18 days later nothing. Usually I average 2-4 per week so I'm worried something isn't getting reported from Amazon to kdp.
    I wrote customer service and their answer was they guessed no books had been sold. Anyone else having this problem.?

Offline The one with all the big dresses on the covers

• Australia
      • View Profile
    « Reply #329 on: September 17, 2018, 06:33:27 pm »
    Well, I'm irritated. I finally got the banner (along with the obnoxious pop up) with the links to migrate. Except when I click them, it comes up with a new pop up saying "Your account cannot be moved to KDP right now. We are preparing your account and will automatically move it to KDP when it's ready. No action is needed from you and your sales and title availability will not be impacted. We will notify you via email once your account has been moved. This may take up to two weeks and you can continue using CreateSpace during this time."

Naturally this fills me with great confidence that they're on top of everything ::) If it's not ready, why did they give me the banner? And even more annoying--I can still continue using my CreateSpace account, except that not only is the banner still there, but every time I log in, I get the giant pop up with the link inviting me to move. (If I click on it again, it takes me back to the "account not ready" pop up.) Really, CreateSpace?

Does this mean some of us will not in fact be given the option of being part of the process but will just have to wait until they do the automatic migration of left-over accounts? (In which case I hope they manage to properly link my Createspace and KDP accounts!) Or is this something different? Has anyone had this come up and their account has subsequently been moved?

Offline BowlOfCherries

• View Profile
    « Reply #330 on: September 18, 2018, 01:34:45 pm »
    I'm having an issue with conversion of my CreateSpace Sales History to KDP Print.

For those with a long CreatesSpace sales history and who have already converted their books to KDP Print and merged accounts - did they convert 'all' of your sales history or just some of it?

I converted my books from CreateSpace to KDP Print at the end of July.  A few weeks ago, they gave me a link to click in Createspace to complete the process by merging my CreateSpace/Amazon KDP accounts.  I did that and it only took a few seconds since there were no books to convert any more, only account merging to be done.  Everything seemed to go okay with the merge (no error messages and books/account data look fine). 

However, they only converted some of my sales history into the KDP reports historical tab.  I have CreateSpace sales history going all the way back to January 2009, but they only converted the more recent sales data over to KDP (December 2016 to present), so I'm missing January 2009 to November 2016.

I've tried discussing with the KDP team, but so far haven't been able to get any information from them about it or even whether the CreateSpace/KDP plan is to copy all sales history or just x number of months worth. I tried emailing and also calling them to no avail, so now I'm trying to back into what was maybe supposed to have happened by seeing what actually did happen to others.

Thanks!

BTW, when I checked the sales numbers for those months that did convert, some months match and others are showing a lower number in KDP than CreateSpace (by 1 - 4 sales).

Offline Lynn McNamee

• Carolinas
      • View Profile
      • Red Adept Publishing
    « Reply #331 on: September 18, 2018, 02:29:14 pm »
    I'm having an issue with conversion of my CreateSpace Sales History to KDP Print.

For those with a long CreatesSpace sales history and who have already converted their books to KDP Print and merged accounts - did they convert 'all' of your sales history or just some of it?

I converted my books from CreateSpace to KDP Print at the end of July.  A few weeks ago, they gave me a link to click in Createspace to complete the process by merging my CreateSpace/Amazon KDP accounts.  I did that and it only took a few seconds since there were no books to convert any more, only account merging to be done.  Everything seemed to go okay with the merge (no error messages and books/account data look fine). 

However, they only converted some of my sales history into the KDP reports historical tab.  I have CreateSpace sales history going all the way back to January 2009, but they only converted the more recent sales data over to KDP (December 2016 to present), so I'm missing January 2009 to November 2016.

You can still log in at Createspace, right? You could just download the old reports.

Offline Ann Herrick

• Oregon
      • View Profile
    « Reply #332 on: September 18, 2018, 02:36:55 pm »
    You can still log in at Createspace, right? You could just download the old reports.

I can't even get the page to come up any more. :(

Offline BowlOfCherries

• View Profile
    « Reply #333 on: September 18, 2018, 02:37:12 pm »

I'm still able to login to CreateSpace and have previously downloaded all my reports so I have the data offline, but am wanting to know whether they intend to copy the sales history over to KDP so we can have the complete sales picture in one place going forward.  Puzzles me why they copied over 2 1/2 years worth of my sales history but not all of it.

Offline Lloyd MacRae

• Canada Eh!
      • View Profile
    « Reply #334 on: September 18, 2018, 02:47:51 pm »
    Well, I'm irritated. I finally got the banner (along with the obnoxious pop up) with the links to migrate. Except when I click them, it comes up with a new pop up saying "Your account cannot be moved to KDP right now. We are preparing your account and will automatically move it to KDP when it's ready. No action is needed from you and your sales and title availability will not be impacted. We will notify you via email once your account has been moved. This may take up to two weeks and you can continue using CreateSpace during this time."

I just logged in and got the same message - you can move your books - nah! just screwing with you :-\

Taking the world by storm...one story at a time.
    Eugene Lloyd MacRae | Author Website | Facebook | Goodreads

Offline CassieL

• View Profile
    « Reply #335 on: September 18, 2018, 04:08:18 pm »
    « Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 07:55:02 pm by CassieL »

8 Pen Names. Genres: Non-fiction, Speculative Fiction, Romance.

Offline Selina Fenech

• Sydney
    • Aussie Artist and Author
      • View Profile
      • Selina Fenech- Artist and Author
    « Reply #336 on: September 18, 2018, 04:31:53 pm »

Mine seems to all be there- in KDP historical. But BookReport is having issues after the move and not showing everything. It's not showing any from before October 2016, and it's also missing everything from between April 2017 and Feb 2018. I only moved yesterday though so I'm hoping things will settle in.

EDIT: I hit Confirm Data again in BookReport and it's all there now, about 24 hours after the move (I had tried refreshing/confirming a few times yesterday too to no luck).
    « Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 04:39:21 pm by Selina Fenech »

Offline Ann Herrick

• Oregon
      • View Profile
    « Reply #337 on: September 18, 2018, 04:55:07 pm »
    Did you click on the Reports option on the left-hand side of the screen?

Yes. I can get reports. But I can't access the Createspace page. I have not migrated my books, because I just heard about all this. So I'm hoping that Amazon will, as has been said, but I do wonder how long that will take.

Offline BowlOfCherries

• View Profile
    « Reply #338 on: September 18, 2018, 05:16:44 pm »
    Mine seems to all be there- in KDP historical. But BookReport is having issues after the move and not showing everything. It's not showing any from before October 2016, and it's also missing everything from between April 2017 and Feb 2018. I only moved yesterday though so I'm hoping things will settle in.

EDIT: I hit Confirm Data again in BookReport and it's all there now, about 24 hours after the move (I had tried refreshing/confirming a few times yesterday too to no luck).

Glad yours is all there.  How far back did your CreateSpace sales data go?  Mine goes back to 2009, but KDP only converted from Dec. 2016 onwards.  It's been 12 days since I did the account merge during which they partially copied my sales history as part of that process.  Maybe the sales history component of the account merge process aborted during the middle of executing and then the process merrily starting executing the next step without generating an error log message or at least a error log message anyone at KDP's looking at.  The merge process took less than a minute and produced no on-screen error messages.  I only got an all-done-you're-good-to-go vibe.

Offline The one with all the big dresses on the covers

• Australia
      • View Profile
    « Reply #339 on: September 18, 2018, 05:17:35 pm »
    I just logged in and got the same message - you can move your books - nah! just screwing with you :-\

Kind of glad to see it's not just me!

Offline lyndabelle

• California-Where Copyright Laws Support Authors
      • View Profile
      • Lynda Belle's Blog/Website
    « Reply #340 on: September 18, 2018, 05:30:59 pm »

I've tried discussing with the KDP team, but so far haven't been able to get any information from them about it or even whether the CreateSpace/KDP plan is to copy all sales history or just x number of months worth. I tried emailing and also calling them to no avail, so now I'm trying to back into what was maybe supposed to have happened by seeing what actually did happen to others.

Thanks!

BTW, when I checked the sales numbers for those months that did convert, some months match and others are showing a lower number in KDP than CreateSpace (by 1 - 4 sales).

I was just getting on the board to see if anyone had the same problem with lost data too. I have sales going back to 2009 with all my pen names. And I've lost it all. I thought it might be because, for some reason, there were two accounts. But I think the merge made two accounts for me since I had separate passwords. Not sure on that last, but the tech guy deleted one account. And all that is left is the data from 2016 up to present. He did send me a XLS file of my sales history, including royalities and ebook sales since 2009. I mean, I've put that onto my taxes. So, I need to keep track of what happened.

But I get the feeling that Amazon is distancing us from the data that they are now heavily more guarding. I really am just feeling like a pawn at this point. The customer service has SUCKED, and I wait on hold for like 15-20 minutes at a time. I've been calling for 3 weeks trying to get things sorted. And it still isn't the best.

I'm currently now on hold, because after finishing getting back into account and now finally can get to my books, I tried going to the Amazon Ads, and all my campaigns are GONE! A lot of my books are blocked from advertising, even the paranormal sorta spicy ones by another pen name that were big sellers. I'm beyond p*ssed. I don't know whether I just can't get into my old ads. The tech guy can see them, so they are there. I just can't get to them.

Even the tech guy at KDP is stumped.

So, yeah. It has not been a pleasant merge for me, and I can't figure out why.

But I'm glad I've gone wide, and my eggs are not in one basket. This has screwed up sales, a book launch on a book I worked 3 years on, and just my income in general from sales. So, I'm sure it will all sort out, but it's always probably a good idea to not go all in unless you can deal with the rug being swept out from underneath you.  8) Okay, still trying to be positive. This is what happens in self-publishing. You deal with all of the little business things like this.

Lynda Belle | Website | Amazon Author Page
    I do not consent to the new TOS, and do not give my consent by posting and maintaining my membership here. Date: 9-20-18

Offline solo

• View Profile
    Re: Createspace to KDP Print migration
    « Reply #341 on: September 18, 2018, 06:21:40 pm »
    So what does this mean? That we can no longer migrate our books from Createspace to KDP, or that they're going to be doing it for us?

Got an email from them. Part of it reads -

In the coming weeks, well start automatically moving your CreateSpace books to KDP. Your books will remain available for sale throughout the move and youll continue to earn royalties. Once we begin this process youll be unable to edit existing titles or create new titles on CreateSpace.

hope that helps

Offline BowlOfCherries

• View Profile
    « Reply #342 on: September 18, 2018, 06:50:16 pm »
    I was just getting on the board to see if anyone had the same problem with lost data too. I have sales going back to 2009 with all my pen names. And I've lost it all. I thought it might be because, for some reason, there were two accounts. But I think the merge made two accounts for me since I had separate passwords. Not sure on that last, but the tech guy deleted one account. And all that is left is the data from 2016 up to present. He did send me a XLS file of my sales history, including royalities and ebook sales since 2009. I mean, I've put that onto my taxes. So, I need to keep track of what happened.

But I get the feeling that Amazon is distancing us from the data that they are now heavily more guarding. I really am just feeling like a pawn at this point. The customer service has SUCKED, and I wait on hold for like 15-20 minutes at a time. I've been calling for 3 weeks trying to get things sorted. And it still isn't the best.

I'm currently now on hold, because after finishing getting back into account and now finally can get to my books, I tried going to the Amazon Ads, and all my campaigns are GONE! A lot of my books are blocked from advertising, even the paranormal sorta spicy ones by another pen name that were big sellers. I'm beyond p*ssed. I don't know whether I just can't get into my old ads. The tech guy can see them, so they are there. I just can't get to them.

Even the tech guy at KDP is stumped.

So, yeah. It has not been a pleasant merge for me, and I can't figure out why.

But I'm glad I've gone wide, and my eggs are not in one basket. This has screwed up sales, a book launch on a book I worked 3 years on, and just my income in general from sales. So, I'm sure it will all sort out, but it's always probably a good idea to not go all in unless you can deal with the rug being swept out from underneath you.  8) Okay, still trying to be positive. This is what happens in self-publishing. You deal with all of the little business things like this.

OMG. What a headache.  Hope the rest gets sorted out for you soon. 
    « Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 01:15:04 pm by BowlOfCherries »

Offline LeeMountford

• United Kingdom
      • View Profile
      • Lee Mountford
    « Reply #343 on: September 19, 2018, 03:33:57 am »
    I think I've been lucky - it all transferred over smoothly and quickly for me. There were only three books, so that might account for something.

Up-and-coming horror author and future King of the World.
    Lee Mountford | Website | Twitter | Facebook | Goodreads | Amazon Author Page

Offline Escapee

• Australia
      • View Profile
    « Reply #344 on: September 19, 2018, 07:16:21 am »
    Well that was fun ::) I had 40+ books transfer over to KDP in about 2 seconds, which was great, but then I spent the next 8 hours linking every single one of them to the ebooks, fixing keywords, adding a barcode to the covers, then previewing them all so I could approve them for sale. Lucky I'd given myself an entire day just in case it didn't go smoothly.

Offline Ann Herrick

• Oregon
      • View Profile
    « Reply #345 on: September 19, 2018, 08:01:36 am »
     I wait on hold for like 15-20 minutes at a time. I've been calling for 3 weeks trying to get things sorted. And it still isn't the best.

I haven't been able to find the phone number. Could you tell me what it is, or where I can find it? Thanks.

Offline BowlOfCherries

• View Profile
    « Reply #346 on: September 19, 2018, 08:18:25 am »
    I haven't been able to find the phone number. Could you tell me what it is, or where I can find it? Thanks.

Not sure about a KDP phone number, but in the KDP help / contact us screen there is now an option to have KDP call you.  You type in your phone number and select whether you want  them to call you back immediately or in 5 minutes.  You have to pick a help topic on the left-hand side of the screen and then drill all the way down to the lowest level of subtopic to see the buttons.

Offline BowlOfCherries

• View Profile
    « Reply #347 on: September 19, 2018, 08:26:21 am »
    Perhaps that part of the process lagged for some reason. I actually got all of my historical data (back to December of 2012) for paperbacks migrated the same time the books did.

Thanks!  Good to know.  That tells me KDP intended to convert it all and some part of my sales history conversion must have gone kerflooey or is long delayed for some reason.

Offline Ann Herrick

• Oregon
      • View Profile
    « Reply #348 on: September 19, 2018, 08:51:44 am »
    Not sure about a KDP phone number, but in the KDP help / contact us screen there is now an option to have KDP call you.  You type in your phone number and select whether you want  them to call you back immediately or in 5 minutes.  You have to pick a help topic on the left-hand side of the screen and then drill all the way down to the lowest level of subtopic to see the buttons.

Thank you!

Offline Don DeBon

• View Profile
      • Don's Dimensional Shift
    « Reply #349 on: September 23, 2018, 03:52:34 pm »
    Createspace has/had the same options.  They never gave a phone number to call, rather you entered yours and they called you.  In my experience they were always fast about it and I was only on hold for a few minutes.  Of course at the time the whole system wasn't being moved over to something else.

The downside of this of course is IF they lock your account (which has happened by mistake), they also lock you out of contacting them as you need to log in to do it.  Both email and phone support required logging in.  I did find out direct email addresses later, but they are never given on the site.

One could say 'well just create another account' the problem with that is their TOS says specifically NOT to do that.  And I suspect it would exacerbate your problems if you do.  Although perhaps it is different for KDP, I haven't checked lately.  But I seem to recall they want to you have only one account per person as well.

Don DeBon | Website | Twitter |

KBoards.com

• Advertisement