Author Topic: Favorite Book?  (Read 10860 times)  

Offline Stacy

• View Profile
Favorite Book?
« on: February 02, 2008, 08:37:42 pm »
I just want to know what you're guys' favorite books are?!?

I've been in love with East of Eden, by John Steinbeck since the first page.
Nothing compares!
*A picture is worth a thousand words, but a book gives you a thousand pictures.*

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Celeste

• Bellingham, WA
      • View Profile
    Re: Favorite Book?
    « Reply #1 on: February 05, 2008, 11:08:56 pm »
    Right now, I'm definitely loving a book called Blindness by Jose Saramago. It's Portuguese originally, but it's a wonderful dystopian novel. Definitely check it out!
    "I am not afraid of storms for I am learning how to sail my ship." -Louisa May Alcott

Carol

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2008, 08:15:59 pm »
    I'll take Tuesdays With Morrie by Mitch Albom.
    It really makes you appreciate what is important.
    That being said, I'll also take that in a hard copy thanks!

Offline Skyrish

• View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: April 06, 2008, 08:34:54 pm »
    Cryptonomicon by Neal Stevenson. Funny and.... as with the best, may moral conundrums.

Offline Sandpiper

• Chicago 'burbs
    • How could you not smile back at Bonnie?
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: October 28, 2008, 03:43:16 pm »
    I've read it a few times, but not recently -- Good Times, Bad Times by James Kirkwood published in '83.  Wish it was available on Kindle.  (I hit the "Please tell the publisher" link.)  I do have a yellowed mass market book some place.  Have to dig it out.

My bro beagle (1954-1966).  I still miss him big time.
    His last collar hangs on my bedpost.

Offline RovingSoul

• Richland, WA
    • The names Kat. Kitty Kat. Not really. Just Kat.
      • View Profile
      • Facebook Profile
    « Reply #5 on: October 28, 2008, 03:58:48 pm »
    Well, my favorite author is Tamora Pierce, and I pretty much love all her books. But for individual favorites, I would have to say... there's so many to choose from...

1. Homeless Bird
    2. The Blue Sword
    3. The Linnets and the Valerians

I don't know any of the authors, and they're all older books. The Linnets and the Valerians could be very old, as I found it in a box in my grandmothers attic. These books are some of the collection that I've had for as long as I can remember, and I would never get rid of them.
    And of course, no fantasy author can beat the likes of JRR Tolkien, or CS Lewis, etc.

Edit: So, it looks like the Linnets was written in 1962, and I'm pretty sure I have a first edition. Cool. It's a wonderful book, especially if you like a little witchcraft in your life.
    « Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 04:01:02 pm by RovingSoul »
    A prayer for the wild at heart, kept in cages.

Offline Mike D. aka jmiked

• Terra firma
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: October 28, 2008, 04:07:14 pm »
    I don't have a single favorite, but here are a few at random that I read over, and over, and over......

Way Station by Clifford D. Simak
    19 by Roger Hall
    Don Camillo by Giovanni Gaureschi
    The First Glencannon Omnibus by Guy Gilpatric (a cheat, since it has three books in one)
    Nine Princes in Amber by Roger Zelazny
    Levels of Knowing and Existence by Harry L. Weinberg (non-fiction)
    The Black Mountain by Rex Stout
    The Dog Who Wouldn't Be by Farley Mowat
    The Time Masters by Wilson Tucker
    Shackles by Bill Pronzini
    The Chinese Orange Mystery by Ellery Queen
    The Three Coffins by John Dickson Carr

Not one of which is an ebook.  :'(

EDIT: I take it backShackles is now in a Kindle version.... I'm off to buy it. ;D ;D
    « Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 04:12:09 pm by jmiked »

Offline Leslie

• Member 24!
    • Global Moderator
    • Maine, USA
    • Kindle Paperwhite for Dummies available now!
      • View Profile
      • Maine Desk
    « Reply #7 on: October 28, 2008, 04:22:23 pm »
    You guys sound so smart! I like Nancy Drew and Harry Potter! LOL

I guess for "smart" I could say Catcher in the Rye but I tried to re-read that not too long ago and couldn't get into it. I think it is an adolescent angst book, best read when you are going through adolescent angst.

L

Leslie Nicoll

Offline Gables Girl

• I'd rather be on Maui!
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: October 28, 2008, 04:26:18 pm »
    I don't have a single favorite, so here are my favorite books that I have read multiple times and keep:

1. The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald- Being rich isn't always enough.
    2. Gone With the Wind -by Margaret Mitchell - Scarlett will survive, no matter what.
    3. The Decline and Fall of Practically Everybody - by Will Cuppy - History made funny.
    4. Auntie Mame - by Patrick Dennis - Always makes me laugh when I need a laugh.
    5. Collected Works of Shakespeare - From tragedy to comedy always hits the right note
    6. Ivanhoe - by Sir Walter Scott - The original historical romance.
    7. The Prince -by Machiavelli - Political theory that is still used.

I have eclectic tastes as you can see.
    GG

Offline Spiritdancer

• View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: October 28, 2008, 04:27:16 pm »
    Outlander by Diana Gabaldon (and the rest of the series as well) is amazing!!  

Offline patrisha w.

• Vermont
    • "I yam what I yam"
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: October 28, 2008, 04:43:09 pm »
    I have recently finish the "Temaraire" series by Naomi Novik. There are five of these books and when I reached the last one I read it slowly because I didn't want it to end. They are alternate history with dragons and very well done.

Offline Teninx

• View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: October 28, 2008, 06:02:52 pm »
    There is one outstanding favorite, and one sadly that is not available on the Kindle. I've been reading "Gravity's Rainbow" since 1975 (Pynchon wrote it in '73, it won a National Book Award that was accepted by "Prof." Irwin Corey on Pynchon's behalf). So far, I've figured out that it has something to do with Nazi rockets, King Kong and conditioned response. I've worn out at least six paperbacks of this tome and may likely go through a couple more.

Pynchon won't publish for the Kindle, or ereaders in general.

By the way, he's also the author of one of the very, very few books I've encountered that was impossible for me to read or understand: "Mason & Dixon". I have this huge, phone-book thick editon in my bookshelf and it's never been opened past the first chapter.

Offline Teninx

• View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: October 28, 2008, 06:11:38 pm »
    Celeste: I'll check out "Blindness" if you'll check out "The Road" by Cormac Mccarthy. Misery nearly siezes up the pages, but there's a strong thread of hope that makes this a fascinting read.

Offline SweetPea

• View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: October 28, 2008, 08:37:28 pm »

I'm reading Voyager now!  A friend at work turned me on to the series about a month ago, and I've been reading them back to back.  About done with Voyager, and Drums of Autumn is sitting on my night stand ready to go.

As for my personal favorite...too many to try to pick.  I'm partial to historical fiction, young adult lit, and have my favorites series from childhood...I've got a collection of those childhood favorites waiting for my baby girl when she's ready (I refuse to acknowledge the possibility her reading tastes might be different).  Only 7 months old, now...might have to start getting the Kindle editions for her!

Offline quickfics

• Witty comment.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: October 29, 2008, 12:39:08 am »
    Nailing down a single, favorite book is extremely hard. I know I'm expected to say it's some dry, hundred-year-old tome that tickles my fancy (which is different than a Fancy Tickler--trust me on that), but if I go by repeat readings, my favorites are Time and Again by Jack Finney, and To Say Nothing of the Dog by Connie Willis.  Yes, I'm partial to time-travel novels; and these two are, IMNSHO, the two best. Ever.

Favorite authors: Bernard Cornwell, Ray Bradbury, F. Paul Wilson, Dean Koontz.

You see, I read for sheer enjoyment. Not to get edumacated.

LuckyRainbow

« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2008, 02:07:57 am »
    I have many, many favorites. Here are a few:

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte (favorite since childhood)
    All of the Discworld series by Terry Pratchett (think wonderful mixture of Douglas Adams and Monty Python) *also very sad note, announced this summer that he is suffering from Alzheimer's*
    Harry Potter Series (have read and re-read on average about once every 6 mo.) *too bad I can't get Kindle version, my trades are in pitiful condition*
    Am just now exploring Neil Gaiman and thrilled that he also LOVES his Kindle (see video on Amazon page)
    Stephen King ('nuff said)
    Anne Rice (ditto)
    Amy Tan (double ditto)

Offline quiltlvr

• View Profile
    « Reply #16 on: October 29, 2008, 10:27:36 am »
    If I had to pick just one then it would be The Stand. I like a lot of different genres, especially thrillers w/ detectives & such, time travel, historical fiction, horror. Not too big on the romance, though.

Offline cush

• Ken Kindle's Guardian Dragon Screensaver
      • View Profile
    « Reply #17 on: October 29, 2008, 12:35:59 pm »
    I just want to know what you're guys' favorite books are?!?

I've been in love with East of Eden, by John Steinbeck since the first page.
    Nothing compares!

Hi Stacy.
    Wow!  East of Eden is probably my all time favorite after a lifetime (69 years, so far) of reading.
    Hawaii, by James Mitchner, is also right up there for me.  I've got EOE on my Kindle but Hawaii is not yet available.   >:(
    *cush*  

My life is an open book...errr...Kindle.

Offline chynared21

• Phew...Teninx found his tinfoil hat!
      • View Profile
    « Reply #18 on: October 29, 2008, 02:06:51 pm »

I have to agree Spritdancer! Her books are amazing and though they are intimidating because of their size, the pages seem to fly by  :P I am partway through the fourth book so far. I do hope she continues the series beyond the sixth book, not to mention the Lord John "spin off".

Offline Ripley

• Texas
      • View Profile
      • Jimi Ripley: writing, science, reading, science fiction
    « Reply #19 on: October 29, 2008, 02:10:13 pm »
    That's a huge question! I read voraceously and widely, and I suspect that I'm not alone in that here.

The Time Traveler's Wife, by Audrey Niffenegger ranks way up there since I first read it in 2004. Now if there were only an electronic version! (I already have the hard copy.) I read and re-read classics like Red Badge of Courage, by Stephen Crane; Captains Couragous, by Rudyard Kipling; A Tale of Two Cities, by Charles Dickens; Jane Eyre, by Charlotte Bronte; and Pride and Prejudice, by Jane Austen when I was in high school. Now I'm more likely to re-read books by Catherine Asaro, Richard Preston, or Gina Kolata. I'm currently in the middle of both the Honor Harrington (David Weber) and Temeraire (Naomi Novik) series.

I could go on but I won't.  ;D
    « Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 02:11:58 pm by Jimi »

Offline Leslie

• Member 24!
    • Global Moderator
    • Maine, USA
    • Kindle Paperwhite for Dummies available now!
      • View Profile
      • Maine Desk
    « Reply #20 on: October 29, 2008, 03:20:23 pm »

Oh, please do!

L

Leslie Nicoll

Offline Spiritdancer

• View Profile
    « Reply #21 on: October 29, 2008, 04:00:06 pm »

I have to agree Spritdancer! Her books are amazing and though they are intimidating because of their size, the pages seem to fly by  :P I am partway through the fourth book so far. I do hope she continues the series beyond the sixth book, not to mention the Lord John "spin off".

She is working on the next book as we speak!  She says hopefully it will come out Fall 2009, and also that it is not the last one.  :)  And there are already several Lord John books too - Lord John and the Private Matter, Lord John and the Brotherhood of the Blade, and Lord John and the Hand of Devils. 

Offline Eclectic Reader

• View Profile
    « Reply #22 on: October 29, 2008, 07:38:05 pm »
    I'm a Children's Librarian, so I read a lot of Children's Fiction, (and Adult Nonfiction when I get the chance).

I love Harry Potter, the Narnia books, and Lloyd Alexander's Chronicles of Prydain series. 

I fell in love with James Herriot's books about 20 years ago.  But my most recent favorite is The Book Thief by Markus Zusak.  Of my favorites, the only one that's been kindled so far is The Book Thief.  :'

Three of my most recent Kindle reads that I've enjoyed immensely are The Last Days of St. Pierre by Ernest Zebrowski (about when the volcano Mt. Pelee blew up), The Zen of Fish by by Trevor Corson, and The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer & Annie Barrows.

And now you know why I go by the username of Eclectic Reader.  ;)

Offline chynared21

• Phew...Teninx found his tinfoil hat!
      • View Profile
    « Reply #23 on: October 29, 2008, 08:50:07 pm »

She is working on the next book as we speak!  She says hopefully it will come out Fall 2009, and also that it is not the last one.  :)  And there are already several Lord John books too - Lord John and the Private Matter, Lord John and the Brotherhood of the Blade, and Lord John and the Hand of Devils. 
    Wonderful!!! Thanks for the update Spiritdancer :-)

Offline Ripley

• Texas
      • View Profile
      • Jimi Ripley: writing, science, reading, science fiction
    « Reply #24 on: October 29, 2008, 09:07:41 pm »

Oh, please do!

L

Leslie: Ah, you evil enabler you! I'd take you up on that if I weren't already so tired from finishing my Writing the Novel Proposal class. (Last day of 14 weeks!) Maybe tomorrow when I'm supposed to be working.  ;)

KBoards.com

• Advertisement