Author Topic: Favorite Book?  (Read 10865 times)  

Offline jah

• new york
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite Book?
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2008, 05:41:47 am »
My Favorite is the  harry potter series, I have read most of them several time and I still read them from time to time.  To bad JK doesn't want them in ebook format or I get them for kindle

Jodi

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline sandypeach

• Northwest Georgia
      • View Profile
    « Reply #26 on: October 30, 2008, 07:02:44 am »
    You see, I read for sheer enjoyment. Not to get edumacated.

I'm with you, Quickie.  When I was in college, I thought I hated reading because everytime I opened a textbook, I fell asleep within 10 minutes (I'm sure it had NOTHING to do with the fraternity keggers!) and the English professors always insisted that I had to look for the deeper meaning in everything I read.  As I got older, I remembered how much fun I had reading Encyclopedia Brown, The Hardy Boys and my dad's Perry Mason books.  My brother gave me an Agatha Christie book for my birthday one year and my love of the mystery genre was fully KINDLEd.  I have been hooked on reading (for pleasure only) ever since.  I have continued to broaden my stable of authors to the point that I have a library of over 800 mystery and action/adventure novels by 30 or 40 different authors.  I couldn't choose one particular author as a favorite, much less one particular book.  I have reread the Stephanie Plum series twice as well as the Kay Scarpetta and Archie McNally series.  I love Spenser and Goldie Bear and Death on Demand and Mandy Dyer and Kinsey Milhone and Perry Mason and Nero Wolfe and James Bond and....well, a bunch of other ones, too.  There are just too many to just single out one.
    The Peach
    Staying fuzzy

Offline patrisha w.

• Vermont
    • "I yam what I yam"
      • View Profile
    « Reply #27 on: October 30, 2008, 12:01:22 pm »
    Outlander by Diana Gabaldon (and the rest of the series as well) is amazing!!  

I have to agree Spritdancer! Her books are amazing and though they are intimidating because of their size, the pages seem to fly by  :P I am partway through the fourth book so far. I do hope she continues the series beyond the sixth book, not to mention the Lord John "spin off".
    I have to tell this little story against myself! I worked in a bookstore and told my boss that I really didn't want to be responsible for the romance section since "I never read romances" and we were expected to be readers of our particular genre. Well, I picked up the Outlander at an airport and when I had finished it, went eagerly to the microfiche to see what else there was by this author. I was a bit taken aback to find her listed as a romance author! LOL Mind you, that may have changed since I first read this book...

Offline Eclectic Reader

• View Profile
    « Reply #28 on: October 30, 2008, 06:53:31 pm »

and the English professors always insisted that I had to look for the deeper meaning in everything I read.  As I got older, I remembered how much fun I had reading Encyclopedia Brown, The Hardy Boys and my dad's Perry Mason books. 

I hear ya, Sandy.  I loved reading as a child but totally turned off to reading in High School when I had to find "deeper meaning" in everything I read.  I just wanted to read a good story for fun! lol 

Somehow I drifted to Librarianship at the same time this was going on, and decided to become a Children's Librarian because that was a time I enjoyed reading.  I got to enjoy "the old favorites" again as well as the great new things that were being published, and somehow found my way back to reading adult materials and finding enjoyment there, too. 
    « Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 06:55:04 pm by Eclectic Reader »

Offline pidgeon92

• Chicago IL
    • Nothin' but a hound dog.
      • View Profile
      • Carmen-Ashland Building
    « Reply #29 on: October 30, 2008, 08:05:14 pm »
    I, too, loved the Harry Potter series.... They are the only books I have really re-read in the past several years....

Though I have been through the Lord of the Rings at least three times now. I have a beautifully illustrated hardcover, so I will have to deal with that instead of an e-book....  ;)

my e-readers: Kindle 2 Kindle 3 nook iPad Sony-950

Offline Celeste

• Bellingham, WA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #30 on: October 30, 2008, 10:04:53 pm »
    Celeste: I'll check out "Blindness" if you'll check out "The Road" by Cormac Mccarthy. Misery nearly siezes up the pages, but there's a strong thread of hope that makes this a fascinting read.
    Thanks, will do!
    Have you checked out Blindness yet?
    "I am not afraid of storms for I am learning how to sail my ship." -Louisa May Alcott

Offline Celeste

• Bellingham, WA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #31 on: October 30, 2008, 10:06:37 pm »
    I'm a Children's Librarian, so I read a lot of Children's Fiction, (and Adult Nonfiction when I get the chance).

I love Harry Potter, the Narnia books, and Lloyd Alexander's Chronicles of Prydain series. 

I fell in love with James Herriot's books about 20 years ago.  But my most recent favorite is The Book Thief by Markus Zusak.  Of my favorites, the only one that's been kindled so far is The Book Thief.  :'

Three of my most recent Kindle reads that I've enjoyed immensely are The Last Days of St. Pierre by Ernest Zebrowski (about when the volcano Mt. Pelee blew up), The Zen of Fish by by Trevor Corson, and The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer & Annie Barrows.

And now you know why I go by the username of Eclectic Reader.  ;)

Oh, I love James Harriot. I'm sure I've read all his stories. What a brilliant writer and such a vivid voice behind it all.
    "I am not afraid of storms for I am learning how to sail my ship." -Louisa May Alcott

Offline tc

• View Profile
    « Reply #32 on: October 31, 2008, 10:59:40 am »
    Is it ok that I don't have a favorite?  I just would not know how to pick one out of all that I love.
    I never say what I mean but I always manage to say something similar. - Eugene Ormandy

LuckyRainbow

« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2008, 01:46:32 pm »

Somehow I drifted to Librarianship at the same time this was going on, and decided to become a Children's Librarian because that was a time I enjoyed reading.  I got to enjoy "the old favorites" again as well as the great new things that were being published, and somehow found my way back to reading adult materials and finding enjoyment there, too. 

Wow, I wish I had thought of that. Although, I have gotten to a point in my life that I am not ashamed to tell people that I frequently read "young adult" novels. I feel that it is some of the best and most imaginative writing out there. Or, it could just be that JK influence. If I had not experienced this second childhood, I would have missed out on Philip Pullman among others. Life partner bought me His Dark Materials box set for my birthday several years ago. I am now getting into his Sally Lockheart books thanks to Masterpiece Mystery this summer. I also love the Prydain Chronicles.
    « Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 12:01:29 am by LuckyRainbow »

Offline chynared21

• Phew...Teninx found his tinfoil hat!
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34 on: October 31, 2008, 05:30:56 pm »
    I have to agree Spritdancer! Her books are amazing and though they are intimidating because of their size, the pages seem to fly by  :P I am partway through the fourth book so far. I do hope she continues the series beyond the sixth book, not to mention the Lord John "spin off".
    I have to tell this little story against myself! I worked in a bookstore and told my boss that I really didn't want to be responsible for the romance section since "I never read romances" and we were expected to be readers of our particular genre. Well, I picked up the Outlander at an airport and when I had finished it, went eagerly to the microfiche to see what else there was by this author. I was a bit taken aback to find her listed as a romance author! LOL Mind you, that may have changed since I first read this book...
    LOL patrisha...I came across Outlander in a funny way. I had picked it up not expecting a romance but more of a historical fiction book. A friend and I were at B & N and she had mentioned Outlander but couldn't remember it's title. When she was done describing it to me, I told her that I had bought the book the week before but for the life of me, I couldn't remember the title either. As it turns out, it was that very book and I also find that Diana Gabaldon is sometimes listed as Historical Romance as well. Never in my life would I have thought that I'd enjoy a "romance" book so much...lets not forget that we find out what men wore under their kilts ;-p

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
    • Not a moderator and haven't ben one for a year.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #35 on: October 31, 2008, 05:43:18 pm »

[/quote]..lets not forget that we find out what men wore under their kilts ;-p
    [/quote]

Their Dignity. ;)

Ann
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline Jen

• Member # 103
      • View Profile
    « Reply #36 on: November 04, 2008, 07:40:27 am »
    Wow, tough question.  It's really hard to pick an all time favorite.  My LATEST favorite would be The Pillars of the Earth.  Other all time favorites would include The Celestine Prophecy, Zen and the art of Motorcycle Maintenance, The Fountainhead, The Kite Runner.....so on, so on!!  I've heard so much about Harry Potter, but I'll be honest - I still haven't read it.  I'd read it in a heartbeat if I could get it on the kindle.  I did 'inherit' the whole series, so I have it, but I got it after I already had the kindle!!  Those things are HUGE!!

« Last Edit: November 08, 2008, 06:48:22 am by Betsy the Quilter »
    A happy person is not a person in a certain set of circumstances, but rather a person with a certain set of attitudes. ~Hugh Downs

Offline Gertie Kindle

• View Profile
    « Reply #37 on: November 06, 2008, 07:25:30 am »
    LOL patrisha...I came across Outlander in a funny way. I had picked it up not expecting a romance but more of a historical fiction book. A friend and I were at B & N and she had mentioned Outlander but couldn't remember it's title. When she was done describing it to me, I told her that I had bought the book the week before but for the life of me, I couldn't remember the title either. As it turns out, it was that very book and I also find that Diana Gabaldon is sometimes listed as Historical Romance as well. Never in my life would I have thought that I'd enjoy a "romance" book so much...lets not forget that we find out what men wore under their kilts ;-p
    I read Outlander when it was first published in 1991(?) and DG was upset that they put it on the Romance shelves in the bookstores.  I don't blame her.  Back then, romance = bodice ripper and Outlander is way above that level.  Not that I don't like bodice rippers, but that's a whole different genre.

Yes, Outlander is probably my favorite book.  I read it at least once a year ... humor, suspense, action, history.  The romance portion of the book I would define by the horse master's comments to Claire at Castle Leoch.  In 50 years Laoghaire will still be a girl.  What Jamie needs is a woman (Claire). 

None of the series after that (originally intended to be five books, but now eight) lived up to Outlander's promise.  For me, they went steadily downhill.  That's why DG is not on my list of favorite authors. 

My two favorite authors are Susan Howatch (Her historical fiction and Church of England series, but not the gothic mysteries) and J.K. Rowling.

Link to Outlander:

« Last Edit: November 08, 2008, 06:51:24 am by Betsy the Quilter »

Offline Bacardi Jim

• View Profile
    « Reply #38 on: November 06, 2008, 10:46:30 am »
    I don't have a single favorite, but here are a few at random that I read over, and over, and over......

Way Station by Clifford D. Simak

You may be the first person I've encountered who prefers Way Station over City. ;)  (I've lost track of how many times I've read City.)
    At first Ford had formed a theory to account for this strange behavior. If human beings don't keep exercising their lips, he thought, their mouths probably seize up.
    After a few months' consideration and observation he abandoned this theory in favor of a new one. If they don't keep on exercising their lips, he thought, their brains start working.

Offline Bacardi Jim

• View Profile
    « Reply #39 on: November 06, 2008, 11:07:16 am »
    ...Lloyd Alexander's Chronicles of Prydain series. 

I adored these books as a child and managed to re-collect the whole series in used paperback form a few years ago.  (I'm 47 now.)  Not only were they a treat to re-read, but I then turned LuckyRainbow onto them, and she loved them as well.  Like most Americans, her only exposure to Alexander had been the terrible Disney movie, and she found the books a real treat.  (I know she's read them through three times since I got them.)

While the writing style of the first three books is now a little simplistic and juvenile for them to still be called amongst my "favorites," Alexander's prose grew in maturity as his fans did ( la Rowling) and by the time he got to the series finale, The High King, he had produced a book worthy of even the most sophisticated reader.

Along with A Wrinkle in Time, The Phantom Tollbooth, and Susan Cooper's series, The Prydain Chronicles are amongst my very favorite "classic" children's books.
    « Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 04:19:19 pm by Harvey »
    At first Ford had formed a theory to account for this strange behavior. If human beings don't keep exercising their lips, he thought, their mouths probably seize up.
    After a few months' consideration and observation he abandoned this theory in favor of a new one. If they don't keep on exercising their lips, he thought, their brains start working.

Offline Eclectic Reader

• View Profile
    « Reply #40 on: November 07, 2008, 06:33:36 am »
    and by the time he got to the series finale, The High King, he had produced a book worthy of even the most sophisticated reader.

I cried when I came to the end of The High King--I didn't want the series to end!  And this was when (gulp) I was in grad school and discovered the wonderful series as part of my Children's Literature course. 

Offline Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
    • Alexandria, VA
    • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey.
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #41 on: November 08, 2008, 06:53:17 am »
    Sounds like a great series--I just klicked on all of them to be put on Kindle!

Betsy
    Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
    Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX    KB Member #72
    Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Offline Mike D. aka jmiked

• Terra firma
      • View Profile
    « Reply #42 on: November 09, 2008, 04:32:03 pm »
    You may be the first person I've encountered who prefers Way Station over City. ;)  (I've lost track of how many times I've read City.)

I think there are a number of us on the Simak mailing list who prefer it, but maybe only by 0.001%.  :)

Offline Snapcat

• View Profile
    « Reply #43 on: November 09, 2008, 05:17:44 pm »
    I think my favorite book is 'The Last Unicorn' by Peter S. Beagle.

I also love Watership Down, The Neverending Story, The Chronicles of Narnia, To Kill a Mockingbird, His Dark Materials, Sherlock Holmes, The Bell Jar- Too many to name! If anyone hasn't read all the books/series I just listed I highly encourage them to check them out! I wish they were all available for Kindle :(

Offline Angela

• Texas
    • aka: tx_angel, A Wayt, Babe, Mom, Grandma, Hey YOU
      • View Profile
    « Reply #44 on: November 09, 2008, 11:52:36 pm »
    There are too many to choose from... usually my fav is whatever book I am currently reading! I guess I could say that one of my most recent favorites is Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers. This book was not one that I would have picked to read... it is not a mystery, or supernatural, or scary, or sci-fi, but is was one that my bookclub chose for a summer read about 2 years ago and I fell in love with this author. Rivers used to write romance novels and that is not my genre of choice!

« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 07:42:27 pm by Betsy the Quilter »

Offline Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
    • Alexandria, VA
    • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey.
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #45 on: November 10, 2008, 07:36:03 pm »
    I think my favorite book is 'The Last Unicorn' by Peter S. Beagle.

I also love Watership Down, The Neverending Story, The Chronicles of Narnia, To Kill a Mockingbird, His Dark Materials, Sherlock Holmes, The Bell Jar- Too many to name! If anyone hasn't read all the books/series I just listed I highly encourage them to check them out! I wish they were all available for Kindle :(

Thanks for the contributions.  When I next buy a book, I'm going to browse the Kindleboards first!

The Chronicles of Narnia are available on Kindle, as are the complete Sherlock Home.  The one below has been recommended by the Kindleboard readers as it has the original illustrations

The Last Unicorn, To Kill a Mockingbird, Watership Down, The Neverending Story, His Dark Materials, and the Bell Jar are not available on Kindle.  I've clicked on all of them, requesting them on Kindle.  Here in the Book Corner, we encourage people to click through and request books not yet on Kindle on behalf of each other!  I've provided live links to all of the books.

Betsy

Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
    Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX    KB Member #72
    Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Offline Angela

• Texas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #46 on: November 10, 2008, 07:49:20 pm »
    Thanks Betsy, now I can click, click, click! :D

Offline Snapcat

• View Profile
    « Reply #47 on: November 10, 2008, 08:34:17 pm »
    Thanks for putting the request links up for those books, Betsy! I hope they make it to Kindle eventually.

Offline Angela

• Texas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #48 on: November 10, 2008, 08:39:38 pm »
    My husband's favorite book is Clifford the Big Red Dog. At least that is what he always tells people when asked!

From Betsy:  you can request that it be Kindlized!  LOL!
    « Last Edit: November 13, 2008, 07:29:31 pm by Betsy the Quilter »

Offline tlshaw

• View Profile
    « Reply #49 on: November 13, 2008, 06:38:40 pm »
    I read Outlander when it was first published in 1991(?) and DG was upset that they put it on the Romance shelves in the bookstores.  I don't blame her.  Back then, romance = bodice ripper and Outlander is way above that level.  Not that I don't like bodice rippers, but that's a whole different genre.

Yes, Outlander is probably my favorite book.  I read it at least once a year ... humor, suspense, action, history.  The romance portion of the book I would define by the horse master's comments to Claire at Castle Leoch.  In 50 years Laoghaire will still be a girl.  What Jamie needs is a woman (Claire). 

None of the series after that (originally intended to be five books, but now eight) lived up to Outlander's promise.  For me, they went steadily downhill.  That's why DG is not on my list of favorite authors. 

My two favorite authors are Susan Howatch (Her historical fiction and Church of England series, but not the gothic mysteries) and J.K. Rowling.

Link to Outlander:

I thought there were only 6 books so far. The last one I read was A Breath of Snow and Ashes, with another book to come out in 09. Please don't tell me I have missed any. I LOVE the series.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement