Author Topic: Biting my tongue...  (Read 3492 times)  

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Not a moderator and haven't ben one for a year.
    • View Profile
Re: Biting my tongue...
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2010, 12:53:45 pm »
One critics review and that's that? Wow.

Well, consumer reports isn't exactly 'one critic's review'. .:) . .they put things through a battery of tests. . .and do a bunch of real world usage with volunteers who report their experiences and all. . . . .They consider the features that they feel most consumers will find important and rate them.  By their criteria, Kindle did come out on top.

BUT, they also show each 'point' separately so if you only really care about 3 of the 10 tested qualities, you can look just at those 3 and decide for yourself.

Of course, it's still a lot of opinion. . .but they put many opinions together to draw their conclusions.
My Kindles
Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
My Tardis (PW 10)

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline MichelleR

• MN
      • View Profile
    « Reply #26 on: September 05, 2010, 02:41:49 pm »
    Neither eReader can be "objectively better" than the other one. There is no reason for you to bite your tongue or be upset that the salesmen was pushing a nook.

I don't recall saying I was upset the guy was selling Nooks.
    Michelle
    Well we all shine on
    Like the moon and the stars and the sun

Offline lanfearl

• View Profile
    « Reply #27 on: September 05, 2010, 02:44:15 pm »
    I don't recall saying I was upset the guy was selling Nooks.

"Now I know it's absolutely not my place, but I wish I could have through sign language or the surreptitious passing of notes communicated, "I have a Kindle in my car -- really, come see the difference! Don't do this!"

Define: upset
    afflicted with or marked by anxious uneasiness or trouble or grief

Person A: Do this
    Onlooker: You shouldn't do this. Come look at what I have. I'm anxiously upset.

Offline MichelleR

• MN
      • View Profile
    « Reply #28 on: September 05, 2010, 02:47:47 pm »
    I'm one of those ppl that usually bites my tongue and keeps quite. But I just wanted to say that first off I LOVE my K2...I love KBs. But...I recently bought a nook and I also LOVE it. :) So I think a person can own both and love them both equally. My nook...so far...is not slow at all. I just like having options with the different formats and am glad there are so many options available for ppl to choose from. I also plan on getting an iPad and will probably love it to. ;)

I think the ideal is that shoppers have the opportunity to try out several and find the one that works for them. A little comparison.

I don't think I want an iPad, but would love to test one out.
    Michelle
    Well we all shine on

Offline Anne Victory

• Victory Editing
    • The Original "Oops Detector"
      • View Profile
      • Victory Editing
    « Reply #29 on: September 05, 2010, 02:48:41 pm »

Dude.  You are seriously coming across in this thread as being "upset" that most people here prefer Kindles to Nooks.  I'd almost think you have an agenda.  And I'm not trying to be snotty or anything, but you're being pretty abrasive in this thread, IMO.
    No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style. - Vlad Taltos
    From Jhereg, by Steven Brust

Services Offered - Manuscript Editing & Final Proofing Pass (AKA Oops Detection) - More Information

"An Editor's Tips for Selecting Editors"--Feel free to check out my free article on WritersWin.com.
    My Facebook page--Some silliness, lots of caffeine, and the occasional snippet from a project I'm working on :)

Offline MichelleR

• MN
      • View Profile
    « Reply #30 on: September 05, 2010, 02:53:54 pm »

What is your deal? When you show people your Kindle, you're upset? I had a good experience with a related product to the one she woman was potentially purchasing, but could not say so due to the venue -- so I didn't. Your initial point is that I was upset at the guy for selling them, which I wasn't. In fact, I specifically said the opposite in my initial post.
    Michelle
    Well we all shine on

Offline MichelleR

• MN
      • View Profile
    « Reply #31 on: September 05, 2010, 02:58:01 pm »
    I did the same thing, we went in yesterday and I played with the Nook, HATED it. Not just because I love my Kindle, but if Nook was the only option I would not own an ereader. I'm very big on ease of use, and I don't know if it was the settings on that particular nook, but I couldn't even find a book to test read on it and I am super electronic savvy. The Kindle, on the other hand, you pick up, select the book and read. I also didn't like the touch screen, it was finicky :/
    Anyway OP, I hear you! And if you want to sell all that to me for 85$ I'll buy it! :D

I think some of it was that I know the Kindle so well -- even when I  got the K3 there was a couple minutes of: consarnit! What did they do now? :) But that aside, I still thought -- as you said -- that if it was Nook or no reader, I might pick no reader. That doesn't mean it isn't the right choice for others, of course.

As to "Trixie," I'm not sure what my next step will be in rehoming her.  :)
    « Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 03:00:39 pm by MichelleR »
    Michelle
    Well we all shine on

Offline MichelleR

• MN
      • View Profile
    « Reply #32 on: September 05, 2010, 03:03:50 pm »
    Does this mean the longer you have and use a Nook the slower the page turns will become?   I'm not trying to be sarcastic.  His answer just doesn't make sense to me.
    deb

His point seemed to be they get banged around. He said he liked to bring his personal one in to show people, because it was so much faster. I didn't quite understand either. The display models seemed to have only a few books on them,.
    Michelle
    Well we all shine on

Offline Anne Victory

• Victory Editing
    • The Original "Oops Detector"
      • View Profile
      • Victory Editing
    « Reply #33 on: September 05, 2010, 03:06:33 pm »
    I was told the same at Best Buy when looking at the Sony Reader (the pocket was broken) and the Nook.  Both the Sony Reader (a size up from the pocket, but was functional) and the Nook were horrid, IMO.  The sales guy apologized and said that the display models got a lot of rough usage from kids dinking with them and such.
    No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style. - Vlad Taltos
    From Jhereg, by Steven Brust

Services Offered - Manuscript Editing & Final Proofing Pass (AKA Oops Detection) - More Information

"An Editor's Tips for Selecting Editors"--Feel free to check out my free article on WritersWin.com.
    My Facebook page--Some silliness, lots of caffeine, and the occasional snippet from a project I'm working on :)

Offline MichelleR

• MN
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34 on: September 05, 2010, 03:12:49 pm »
    The sales guy probably didn't know what he was talking about. Prior to my K3 I owned a nook and previously a K2 and I can say that the page turns between the nook and K2 were very even. I think what was most likely the cause for slower page turns is that the demo units had not been upgraded to the latest software/firmware.

You make a good point. I assumed they would be since they're in the store and in use.

I remember reading that we're rewiring our brains to be more impatient. I'm not talking about slow attention span, but an expectation of how long things take. Our brains know how fast something should be and it determines in based on previous experience and so old tech fares extra poorly if someone is more familiar with new stuff. It's like if you gave kids rotary phones to use after only knowing touch phones. Or forbidding them from using the microwave and pointing at the oven. I have an experience with an updates K2 and now a K3, and so what might be fast or acceptable for others, seemed slow and even labored.
    Michelle
    Well we all shine on

Offline tessa

• long island ny
      • View Profile
    « Reply #35 on: September 05, 2010, 03:58:33 pm »
    I have both a Kindle and a Nook  I've said this before the Kindle is far superior to the Nook, I knew that when I bought the Nook.  I like the that I can get books from my public library for free. (I'm keeping track of the price of each book borrow  and so far I've save about $136.00 so the Nook in paying for itself).  I'm lucky that we have a great public library system here on Long Island and being a resident of New York State I can get library cards for Queens, Brooklyn and New York public libraries.  I just used them to read books I don't care about anything else that they do.

Offline drenee

• West Virginia
    • Member 527
      • View Profile
    « Reply #36 on: September 05, 2010, 04:20:07 pm »
    I have a Sony and a Kindle.  I got the Sony so I could borrow library books.  I've had it six months or so, and it has paid for itself.  Not my first choice in a reader, but nice for library books.
    deb
    Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life.

WwF  DRA60
    Miss you, Dona, Jeff and Harvey.

Offline Miss Moneypenny

• San Diego, CA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #37 on: September 05, 2010, 05:37:59 pm »
    One doesn't need an e-reader AT ALL to borrow e-books from the library. Anyone can with Overdrive software on the pc. Most PDF ebooks are text to speech enabled. I often convert these for use on my Kindle, as allowed by law. Some are put on my daughter's Sony. Before I bought the Kindle I wanted the Nook. I tried the Nook. I tried the display Nook. I tried the salesperson's personal Nook. I tried a colleague's Kindle. I thought the touchscreen would fulfill me. I wondered how I could survive the 21st century without the tactile treat. Unfortunately, I was expecting a touchscreen comparable to my iPod Touch. No such luck. I pressed, it failed to respond. I waited and pressed again. A microsecond before my finger made contact the second time the screen changed and I wound up touching the wrong option. I played with it/them for about 20 minutes and left unhappy.

I tried my colleague's Kindle and was instantly hooked. I admit to being seduced by performance. Suddenly the Nook's touchscreen wasn't sexy, it was a youngster playing around with mom's makeup. Nothing beyond the color. And I love color. I ordered the Kindle then pimped it out with a colorful cover. Life is good again.   8)

KBoards.com

• Advertisement