Author Topic: 2.5 fixed the full justification issue?  (Read 3973 times)  

Offline Linjeakel

• United Kingdom
  • Erm .....
    • View Profile
Re: 2.5 fixed the full justification issue?
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2010, 07:43:22 am »
...... Is there an option on the K3 or the current software that allows for full 100% justification?  Ideally there should be options for multiple or customisable justification so that each individual user can pick what best suits their preference.

Unfortunately not. The situation remains the same as it did after the K2 was updated to the 99% justification and there is no official user option to change it. There is, as noted by 911jason above, a way to change it to left justification by amending one of the system files. I looked at the file and it says in there 'justification=full'. I don't know what you could change it to, to make it 100% full, rather than 99% full.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 08:13:42 am by Linjeakel »
Linda

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline JSRinUK

• Wake me when they release the Kindle 9 (K9).
      • View Profile
    « Reply #26 on: September 05, 2010, 07:52:44 am »
    Unfortunately not. The situation remains the same as it did after the K2 was updated to the 99% justification and there is no official user option to change it. You can, as noted by 911jason above, a way to change it to left justification by amending one of the system files. I looked at the file and it says in there 'justification=full'. I don't know what you could change it to, to make it 100% full, rather than 99% full.

Left justification would be ten times worse.  At least now I know it's neither a bug nor the fault of my formatting.

1st September 2010 saw the arrival of a 240g bouncing baby Kindle.

Offline kindlegrl81

• View Profile
    « Reply #27 on: September 05, 2010, 08:34:32 am »
    Most of the time I had no problem with the full justification but it would bother me every once in awhile when they did it to a word.

Rather than having something like this:

The   cat     is     black

They would do this:

The  cat  is   b  la  c  k

Spaces between the words are fine but spaces between the letters in a word drove me nuts.

Offline Meemo

• NW Florida
    • KB Member #43
      • View Profile
    « Reply #28 on: September 05, 2010, 08:52:20 am »
    Unfortunately not. The situation remains the same as it did after the K2 was updated to the 99% justification and there is no official user option to change it. There is, as noted by 911jason above, a way to change it to left justification by amending one of the system files. I looked at the file and it says in there 'justification=full'. I don't know what you could change it to, to make it 100% full, rather than 99% full.

If only it were as easy as changing that to 'justification=left' - I really miss having the left justification option that we had with the K1 (well, sometimes we had it).
    em
    Kindling since August 2008, 2nd & 1st gen Oasis, 2 Fire HD6s, iPad Mini for PDFs

Offline Mike D. aka jmiked

• Terra firma
      • View Profile
    « Reply #29 on: September 05, 2010, 08:56:37 am »
    It looks as thought the Kindle has a limit of two consecutive spaces between words when full justification is set. This is a halfway acceptable compromise to allowing any number of consecutive spaces to ensure that there is full justification or else!

I'm in the group that prefers left-only justification, but the current system isnt as bad as it was for a while when the Kindle would allow as many spaces as it took to get fully-justified.

This behavior, while specified by the publisher, is not cast in stone. The Stanza app on the iPad will allow over-riding those settings and gives control over left/full justification, inter-line spacing, inter-paragraph spacing, paragraph indent spacing, and full margin control. And Stanza also has the ability to turn hyphenation on and off.

I mention all that not to show how wonderful Stanza is, but to show that it's possible. The question is: Why does Amazon think we don't need these things?

Mike

Offline Linjeakel

• United Kingdom
    • Erm .....
      • View Profile
    « Reply #30 on: September 05, 2010, 09:09:34 am »
    ...... The question is: Why does Amazon think we don't need these things?

This is a question many of us have asked, endlessly, regarding all kinds of issues on the Kindle!  ::)

Linda

Offline Meemo

• NW Florida
    • KB Member #43
      • View Profile
    « Reply #31 on: September 05, 2010, 09:25:02 am »
    This is a question many of us have asked, endlessly, regarding all kinds of issues on the Kindle!  ::)

At least it's not limited to Kindle - as a new nook owner I see the same question regarding nook issues on nook boards, and on Sony boards when I had a Sony reader. 
    em
    Kindling since August 2008, 2nd & 1st gen Oasis, 2 Fire HD6s, iPad Mini for PDFs

Offline 911jason

• Simi Valley, CA
      • View Profile
      • Kindle Screensavers
    « Reply #32 on: September 05, 2010, 03:23:38 pm »
    If only it were as easy as changing that to 'justification=left' - I really miss having the left justification option that we had with the K1 (well, sometimes we had it).

What do you mean "if only it were as easy..."?

You can have left justification by editing the file to justification=left. Like Ann said, just be sure you are aware that if you're not careful, you could be messing up a system file which can have consequences. For anyone considering editing this file, it would be a good idea to copy the file prior to making any changes. That way if you mess something up, you have a back-up to fix it with.

Offline Meemo

• NW Florida
    • KB Member #43
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33 on: September 05, 2010, 05:20:47 pm »

You can have left justification by editing the file to justification=left. Like Ann said, just be sure you are aware that if you're not careful, you could be messing up a system file which can have consequences. For anyone considering editing this file, it would be a good idea to copy the file prior to making any changes. That way if you mess something up, you have a back-up to fix it with.

Well, cool!  I never claimed to be the sharpest tool in the tech shed.  I guess it just seemed too easy.  I am totally checking this out - soon!  And I'll definitely save the original file before messing with it.
    em

Offline 911jason

• Simi Valley, CA
      • View Profile
      • Kindle Screensavers
    « Reply #34 on: September 05, 2010, 06:48:57 pm »

Turns out I was wrong... it isn't that easy, because as far as I can tell, the justification=left doesn't change a thing. Hmmmph....

Gonna have to look into this some more.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement