Author Topic: Tales of the Skulking Raven  (Read 3877 times)  

Offline Archer

• Alterra
  • Author of Elfhunter, Fire-heart, Ravenshade
    • View Profile
    • www.elfhunter.net
Tales of the Skulking Raven
« on: June 23, 2010, 03:28:58 am »
Okay...now here's your chance to be the architect of an Alterran story. I once had the idea of putting together a series of short stories called the 'Tales of the Skulking Raven'. If you have read Fire-heart and Ravenshade, you know what that means. So, if you were sitting in
'The Raven' with your good buddies Azori and Hallagond, what stories would be told? What tales would you like to hear? What tale would YOU tell?

If I like your idea, I'll write the story. If I ever put the 'Tales' together, you'll be credited with the idea. (Based on an idea by...)

What say you, Alterran Adventurers? Grab a pint and a bowl of laffas (mind the floor...they haven't changed the sawdust recently).
NOW AVAILABLE FROM PARTHIAN PRESS

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline ibrewalot

• Brookline, NH
      • View Profile
    Re: Tales of the Skulking Raven
    « Reply #1 on: June 23, 2010, 05:36:27 am »
    This is awesome!  It'll take a bit of thought to come up with something worthy, but I already have a few things in mind.  More soon... ;D

Offline Archer

• Alterra
      • View Profile
      • www.elfhunter.net
    « Reply #2 on: June 23, 2010, 09:07:42 am »
    Well, I can't wait to see what you come up with!  :)

Offline ibrewalot

• Brookline, NH
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: June 29, 2010, 07:47:32 pm »
    Archer, here are a couple of ideas (two flavors of one) that may have merit.  I'm no writer, so feel free to say "thanx...yeah, maybe".  ;)  These are also potential answers to your question in the other post of this forum:

So, after Ravenshade ends and all is well with Alterra again, what happens?  
    • The Company are all sitting around the Skulking Raven toasting Azori and talking of old times when Gaelen notices an old, disheveled woman in the back corner all by herself.  She looks familiar so Gaelen goes to say hello.  The old woman turns out to be a fortune teller and asks if Gaelen would like to know her future.  Gaelen, intrigued, sits down and the old woman proceeds to tell her she has the opportunity to become mortal should she perform a particular task for the woman.  Interesting concept, because why would she?  Except to know life AND death with her Orogond...however giving up any chance of seeing Rain again.
    • The corollary would be for Orogond to win a prize for being his studly self and spear throwing or something at a local Faire only to be told the prize is the opportunity to become immortal should he choose to.  There are certainly pros and cons, but he could spent eternity with Gaelen.  Does that allow them to have children?  Perhaps.  That was my third idea...
    • ...what if they saved some Asarla from certain death and were given as a reward the opportunity to have children together.  Or maybe it was a "special" child they saved instead and the parent of the child had the power to grant them the ability to have children?  The children growing up and what they do after Orogond dies would be yet another yarn.
    • How about a story that expands when Orogond and Hallagond were children?  We spent the whole of Fire-heart chasing all over the desert for Hallagond, right?  I'm guessing it was for better reason than just that Orogond promised his dead father he'd do it and that the two of them really had a deeper relationship when they were growing up.

That's all that's in this little brain at the moment...I'll be back with more if things pop up.  Thanx for the opportunity to contribute!  Even if the ideas don't fly, it was kindof cool to think of having the chance to be a "ghost idea guy".  ;D
    « Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 05:04:22 am by ibrewalot »

Offline Archer

• Alterra
      • View Profile
      • www.elfhunter.net
    « Reply #4 on: June 30, 2010, 07:52:37 pm »
    INTERESTING 'ghost' ideas!
    (ooooooOOOOOOooooooooooooooo!) (That was my attempt at a ghostly sound effect.)

I shall number them 1-4.

First, number 4: There's only one problem with exploring the Hallagond/Orogond relationship--Hallagond left home before Orogond was born. Phooey! They had never laid eyes on each other until that day in the slave auction.

Now...as to numbers 1-3...you're right! There are some potential solutions to the problem of 'Gaelen and Orogond/Elf and Human isn't a good idea'. I don't think Gaelen could turn her back on Rain, though. I really don't. She has a very deep-seated attachment to him. He was the one with whom she would have borne children. Now, if Gaelen is 'mortal', her biology might respond by allowing her more reproductive freedom.
    If Orogond is immortal, well...that might not 'unlock' Gaelen's childbearing potential. See, this is what happens when a Biologist writes fantasy.

The Asari don't have the power to alter the nature of Elves and Men. If they could influence such things, Shandor would probably have followed Liathwyn to Elysia (thus ruining the entire Elfhunter trilogy. Whew!). Darn it, Aontar...can't we just all get along?

The Elves hope to be reunited with all races at the 'End of Days'. If that happens, Gaelen and Orogond will eventually be reunited.
    (Seems a hollow victory, somehow).

Offline Carmyn

• the mapmaker
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: July 01, 2010, 11:41:46 am »

The Elves hope to be reunited with all races at the 'End of Days'. If that happens, Gaelen and Orogond will eventually be reunited.
    (Seems a hollow victory, somehow).

And Gaelen had already been reunited with Rain, so now both of her "men" are with her...what do they think of each other, and how will she behave with both of them together.  Hmmm. 
    Carmyn, the mapmaker.

Offline ibrewalot

• Brookline, NH
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: July 01, 2010, 06:27:55 pm »
    I knew there was no such thing as a "simple romance".  :-\  I like to have things sewn up nice and tidy, which is fine when all books that ever will be written about Alterra are available, however as we know, they are not yet on paper.  Alas, my waiting-gene was never hooked to the rest of my DNA.  <== feeble attempt at biology  :)

Next in the attempt at short story idea submissions:
    • How about something more about Azori to memorialize him further?  We know he was a hero, but what about his crazy days?
    • ...or if not Azori, how about the same with Hallagond?  Surely there is fodder for something juicy there?

Offline Archer

• Alterra
      • View Profile
      • www.elfhunter.net
    « Reply #7 on: July 01, 2010, 07:34:36 pm »
    And Gaelen had already been reunited with Rain, so now both of her "men" are with her...what do they think of each other, and how will she behave with both of them together.  Hmmm. 

Well, y'know, i often wondered about that with respect to human concepts of afterlife. If, for example, we are reunited after death (I hope that's the case) what happens to folks who are madly in love with their spouses, the spouses die, and they find love again and re-marry? Seems to me that in the great, spiritual 'beyond' all things are possible, and in the Light harmony reigns. So, perhaps the Elves walk around and behave as Elves in Elysia until the end of days, whereupon they are allowed to join in the great spiritual 'Light' of Aontar's love, even as Men may choose to do. I would imagine that all spirits 'get along' in the arms of the ultimate love.
    ???Am I all wet?

Hallagond and Azori (not to mention Azok) would provide nearly endless tales of swashbuckling, ne'er-do-wellishness. As you know, Azori and his friends are not welcome in the Skulking Raven (not anywhere else in Castalan) any more. Wouldn't you love to know how THAT came to be?

Offline ibrewalot

• Brookline, NH
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: July 01, 2010, 07:50:06 pm »
    Looks to me like, while I am an ok enough reader, I'm not cut out for the creation side of things.  Lucky for me (and for anyone else following Alterra), there's an awesome, elvish storyteller available to do just that.  The stage remains yours, m'lady. ;D

Offline Archer

• Alterra
      • View Profile
      • www.elfhunter.net
    « Reply #9 on: July 01, 2010, 07:58:21 pm »
    Looks to me like, while I am an ok enough reader, I'm not cut out for the creation side of things.  Lucky for me (and for anyone else following Alterra), there's an awesome, elvish storyteller available to do just that.  The stage remains yours, m'lady. ;D

Ah, but that's where you're wrong! Your ideas concerning the opportunity for Orogond to become immortal or Gaelen to become mortal have intrigued me (as well as Jeff). I had never thought of that. I shall have to chew on it awhile.
    (Ohhh, Brewski...you are SO going to love book 5!)

Offline Tip10

• Southern Illinois
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: July 02, 2010, 07:09:18 am »
    Okay Archer -- you asked for it.  Been thinking about this for a while now so here goes....

Id love to see you perhaps produce a series of shorts sort of the Companions of Alterra.

Perhaps the following (in no particular order):

-   The story of the fall of Tuathas and the cataclysm that destroyed it and the Quarinar and their journey south that led to the founding of Dun Arian and also the founding of Dun Bennas.
    -   The story of Tal-elathas.
    -   The back story of Azori and Azok and how they came to be thieves.
    -   The story of Cuimir and the War of Betrayal
    -   The story of Eadros (yeah you could probably spend an entire book on the War of Betrayal and cover it all but I think a series of shorts might be easier on you!  :D )
    -   Shorts for each of the uprisings.
    -   The story of Dardis and his relationship with Leiras and how he came to be gifted with the talents necessary to make the Stone of Lier, Gorgons Ring and Kotos Amulet.
    -   The story of Eryn and what became of her.
    -   The back story of how Galador and Orogond came to be together as traveling companions and friends.
    -   The back story of Tansy how she got gained and then lost her place as the ruler of Fomor.
    -   The complete back story of what drove Hallagond to abandon his Ranger ways.
    -   The whole story of the Asarla how they came to be and how they parlayed and decided to divide themselves among the Enlightened.
    -   A story of Syrus
    -   The fall of Trachair/Kotos

Perhaps publishing them independently of compiling them into a volume of shorts to go with the triology (and others to come!).

I'm sure you could also persuade your most talented mapmaker to develop a timeline of Alterra to go along with all of the shorts -- helping us to keep our chronological bearings.

Hmmm, looking back over this list me thinks perhaps I better run very fast and very far away from Archer!!!  This list would seem to sentence her to a life of servitude behind the writing instrument of her choice!   :o
    I can assure you my dear Archer -- my thirst for Alterra is going to be difficult to quench!!   :D :D :D :D

Never Engage in a Battle of Wits With an Unarmed Person.

I don't suffer from Insanity -- I rather enjoy it!

Offline ibrewalot

• Brookline, NH
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: July 02, 2010, 07:24:52 am »
    Geez, Tip!  Nicely done!!!  There are many on your list I find interesting, the Dardis story being the #1.  I love the special items that are inevitable in any fantasy tale.

Offline Tip10

• Southern Illinois
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: July 02, 2010, 07:40:58 am »
    Thanks Brew.

And yeah Dardis and the Quarinar and their journey south are probably the top two for me although the War of Betrayal ranks right in there too.

Offline Archer

• Alterra
      • View Profile
      • www.elfhunter.net
    « Reply #13 on: July 06, 2010, 10:07:14 am »
    (Gasp!)
    (Wheeze!)

Ye gods, Tip!
    WHAT A GRAND COLLECTION! I would love to write each and every one of those stories.

I know someone(s) for whom a certain soon-to-be-released anthology will have a SPECIAL treat inside!
    (The back-story of the events leading to the downfall of Tal-elathas in 10,000 words or less)
     :D

I have another question: Who is your favorite (most intriguing) character who does not actually APPEAR in the trilogy?

Offline Tip10

• Southern Illinois
      • View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: July 06, 2010, 12:26:29 pm »
    (Gasp!)
    (Wheeze!)

Ye gods, Tip!
    WHAT A GRAND COLLECTION! I would love to write each and every one of those stories.

No more so than we (as I am certain there are many others who'd agree) would love to read them!

I have another question: Who is your favorite (most intriguing) character who does not actually APPEAR in the trilogy?

I think I understand what you're asking... Let me know if I'm missing the boat...

For me that would most likely be either Dardis or Eryn -- pretty much a toss-up although I'd have to give a slight nod to Dardis.

Dardis because to gain the skills he obviously possessed in creating the items he did he'd have to be someone very special.

Eryn because as half-sister to Gorgon her story might lend a great deal of insight into Gorgon and how one becomes, shall we say, corrupted by the darkness.

Offline Archer

• Alterra
      • View Profile
      • www.elfhunter.net
    « Reply #15 on: July 06, 2010, 07:03:37 pm »
    It would have to be Dardis, Tip, because Eryn does appear in the trilogy.  ;)

Offline Tip10

• Southern Illinois
      • View Profile
    « Reply #16 on: July 07, 2010, 06:30:53 am »
    Okay dear Author -- I'll give you that one -- but a mere passing appearance to deliver a fox coat certainly doesn't give us any real sense of who she is.    ::)

Offline Archer

• Alterra
      • View Profile
      • www.elfhunter.net
    « Reply #17 on: July 07, 2010, 04:29:14 pm »
     :P :P :P :P Big razzberry, Tip!  :P :P :P

Hey! If I weren't so annoying, I'd be perfect!
    (But then I'd be even MORE annoying...)

Wait a second. I've gotta figure this out.

Personally, Dardis would be one of MY choices, too. I am very interested in the adventures of Silas, the Mariner. Orogond's line traces back to him. He was revered among the Tuathar who, living on a peninsula surrounded by water, were quite the seafaring folk.  :D The Corsairs revere him now--if one can trace one's line to Silas, WELL!
    « Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 04:30:56 pm by archer »

Offline Tip10

• Southern Illinois
      • View Profile
    « Reply #18 on: July 08, 2010, 04:54:42 am »
    Ohhh Ohhh -- can we go back to Stump the Author??   

Ummm, would that be the one and same as Syrus the mariner (or did his name change between versions)?
    He's on my list too!  :D

And now I'm going to run away lest our dear Author start throwing things at me instead of just giving me razzberries!!

Oh, by the way, was at the dentist yesterday and the Hygienist has a Kindle and said the Dentist bought his wife one. I asked what they liked to read and then recommended a certain author to them who I believe has a trilogy out there that would interest them.  Also pointed them to KB as well so we'll see.

Offline Archer

• Alterra
      • View Profile
      • www.elfhunter.net
    « Reply #19 on: July 08, 2010, 06:48:33 am »
    Ha! Too late!
    You'll never stump me now.

Of course, you're right...it is 'Syrus'

I think I should give Tip a special early gift for stumping me.
    Hey, Tip...watch for a magic e-mail soon.

Offline Tip10

• Southern Illinois
      • View Profile
    « Reply #20 on: July 08, 2010, 08:12:39 am »
    OOOHHHHH I'll certainly be looking forward to THAT!!!

Offline ibrewalot

• Brookline, NH
      • View Profile
    « Reply #21 on: July 12, 2010, 08:20:23 am »
    Bah!  This board sometimes drops me off of notices of active threads.  No idea why, but new posts happen and I have to manually go look to find out...I've been missing the fun!  :(

Wasn't Silas Marner (sic) one of those looooonnnnggg boring poems you have to read in High School?  Maybe that was where the confusion stems?  Either way, I have to side with Tip as to Dardis being an interesting guy to expand upon "in your free time".   ;)

Otherwise, looks like all's quiet at the Raven...

Offline Archer

• Alterra
      • View Profile
      • www.elfhunter.net
    « Reply #22 on: July 12, 2010, 09:01:56 am »
    Brew: I just have to check the Klub every day.  :-\

Soon you shall have more Dardis lore for your very own!  :D

Offline Tip10

• Southern Illinois
      • View Profile
    « Reply #23 on: July 12, 2010, 09:06:21 am »
    And very VERY good lore at that!!  ;)

I usually just come in and check also -- tried subscribing but then would seem to get notices when there weren't posts and not get some when there were.... (although it might also have been a timing issue between when my mobile picked up my mail and when the last time I checked the boards was).

Offline Archer

• Alterra
      • View Profile
      • www.elfhunter.net
    « Reply #24 on: July 12, 2010, 07:19:53 pm »
    Did you get your pix, Tipperoo?  :D

(My friends think the Eagle and the Raven would make an awesome tattoo!)

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline ibrewalot

• Brookline, NH
        • View Profile
      « Reply #25 on: July 12, 2010, 08:03:59 pm »
      The notifications in email are working...I'mmmmmm baaaaaacccccckkkkk! ;D

Offline Tip10

• Southern Illinois
        • View Profile
      « Reply #26 on: July 13, 2010, 04:57:04 am »
      Yep got the pix -- they are wonderful as per usual. 

Yep, were one disposed to getting a tattoo then the Eagle and the Raven would indeed make a very nice one.

A question -- would that be the cover for the next installment?

Offline ibrewalot

• Brookline, NH
        • View Profile
      « Reply #27 on: July 13, 2010, 05:03:09 am »
      Archer, did you ever use the link to that pic I set up for you?  If you need it again, just let me know, ok?

Offline Archer

• Alterra
        • View Profile
        • www.elfhunter.net
      « Reply #28 on: July 13, 2010, 05:17:22 am »
      Archer peeks out from beneath the bushes of non-techhie ignorance.
      (what link?)

She blushes in shame and awaits Brew's patient re-submission.

Tip: No, both of those pix go with the anthology (Unbroken Mirror is the story featured there).
      Cover for next installment remains to be seen.

Offline ibrewalot

• Brookline, NH
        • View Profile
      « Reply #29 on: July 13, 2010, 05:23:44 am »
      PM sent with the links... ;D

Offline Tip10

• Southern Illinois
        • View Profile
      « Reply #30 on: July 13, 2010, 06:10:30 am »

Tip: No, both of those pix go with the anthology (Unbroken Mirror is the story featured there).
      Cover for next installment remains to be seen.

Well Duh?  A bit on the obvious side once one looks and thinks isn't it?
      Did you know that sometimes things get crazy enough that 1 + 1 doesn't equal 2? 

Its been a bit of a zoo around here for the last week or so -- not looking to get any better for another week or so and then we're HOPING it'll settle back down again.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement