Author Topic: Best KJV Bible  (Read 11131 times)  

Offline Kindle_Matt

• View Profile
Best KJV Bible
« on: July 12, 2010, 05:31:12 pm »
I'm looking for the best KJV option for the Kindle. The One Year Bible board seemed to be the best place to ask this. What recommendations do you have? The most featured and easy to reference is ideal.

Free or reasonably priced will be fine.

Thanks much,
Matt

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Kindle_Matt

• View Profile
    Re: Best KJV Bible
    « Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 04:36:51 pm »
    Was this the wrong board to post ?

Offline Suzanne

• N. Huntingdon, PA
    • No. 336
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 04:55:12 pm »
    Hi Matt, I am so sorry I haven't replied quicker. Dealing with some health issues here. I don't know which KJV of the Bible would be good on the Kindle. Have you tried on Amazon with the free King James Versions of the Bible? Sometimes people will rate a version as to how easy it is to navigate around the Bible on each particular one that is offered on Amazon. I am looking for a good NKJV for my Kindle. I think there is only one available but from what the people say who rated it, it is a nightmare to navigate around. I will keep my eyes open for you when I am on Amazon looking at Bibles. Welcome to the One Year Bible Forum, Suzi

Offline Vet

• View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 07:41:53 am »
    Hi Matt, I am so sorry I haven't replied quicker. Dealing with some health issues here. I don't know which KJV of the Bible would be good on the Kindle. Have you tried on Amazon with the free King James Versions of the Bible? Sometimes people will rate a version as to how easy it is to navigate around the Bible on each particular one that is offered on Amazon. I am looking for a good NKJV for my Kindle. I think there is only one available but from what the people say who rated it, it is a nightmare to navigate around. I will keep my eyes open for you when I am on Amazon looking at Bibles. Welcome to the One Year Bible Forum, Suzi

I've also been checking Amazon for a good NKJV and read some of the reviews for the KJV.

Offline lovesangelrn

• View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: August 06, 2010, 02:23:53 pm »
    I use this one, really like the direct verse jump.....just be aware, that the abbreviations aren't the standard ones, but they are easy to learn.

fyi, there are 3 versions of this one, the one i linked is the non-paragraphed; there is also a paragraphed version, and a version without verse numbers that is tts friendly.

Offline Kindle_Matt

• View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: August 06, 2010, 04:54:47 pm »
    I had sent free samples of several different bibles to my Kindle and sure enough, it was completely obvious what to get.  I ended up getting the OSNOVA with paragraphs and verse numbers. The paragraphing really gives a new dimension to the reading as I anticipate a change in point. I'm sure my old leather bibles also contain paragraph marks but this is visually more helpful.  Having instant access to the dictionary is also a huge plus.  Next, I'll have to try one of those bible dictionaries that can be linked to the biblical text like the dictionary, as I understand it. 

Offline Suzanne

• N. Huntingdon, PA
    • No. 336
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: August 07, 2010, 08:28:56 am »
    I'm glad you found one you like, Matt. I have a K1 and cannot do that direct verse jump. It sounds really nice!!!

Another thing you might be interested in is e-Sword. It's not something for the Kindle, but a great resource for Bible study. You can download it with most of the free components and it looks to be a very useful tool for Bible study. You download the main thing and install it. Then when you have it running, up on top it has a tab for Downloads and you download Bibles, Commentaries, Devotions, Graphics, etc. A lot of the stuff is free. There are some things you have to pay for the key to them. I just downloaded free stuff and it looks like a valuable tool.

http://www.e-sword.net/

Offline osnova

• NoVa
      • View Profile
      • OSNOVA
    « Reply #7 on: August 31, 2010, 09:38:06 pm »
    I should have been the first to jump in and recommend one of my editions :)  Nice that someone else did it.  Thank you.

I use this one, really like the direct verse jump.....just be aware, that the abbreviations aren't the standard ones, but they are easy to learn.

One of my earlier prototypes had standard abbreviations - they added too much white space between verses, which was very distracting.  That's why I had to come up with 2-3 letter abbreviations.

Some friendly reader made a quick cheatsheet for the abbreviations, you can download it from her site: http://novoelle.com/2010/07/osnova-king-james-version-bible/

By the way, I always welcome suggestions for improvement.

Offline osnova

• NoVa
      • View Profile
      • OSNOVA
    « Reply #8 on: August 31, 2010, 09:41:49 pm »
    I have a K1 and cannot do that direct verse jump. It sounds really nice!!!

I am sorry.  I really don't know how to make it work on K1.  A number of people asked me about DVJ for K1 but it appears that it is just not going to work.  The good news that the new Kindles are way cheaper and *maybe* you'll be inclined to get the new model.  I just received K3 WiFi only and can't let it out of my hands.  It's so sleek.  I really like it.

Offline love2read

• Ohio
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: September 04, 2010, 05:21:19 am »
    Osnova,

I've read on your site that the Direct Jump doesn't work as well on the new K3 because of changes Amazon made.

http://osnovapress.wordpress.com/2010/09/

I am a K1 owner and was looking forward to getting my new K3 to buy one of your bibles. Should I go ahead and buy it now that I have my K3 or wait to see if Amazon makes the changes and buy the updated version that works best with the K3?

I'm wondering if each of your bibles will have 2 different listings on Amazon because the current listing will be needed for the K2 and DX and the updated version will only work with the K3. Is this correct?
    « Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 05:26:20 am by love2read »

Offline osnova

• NoVa
      • View Profile
      • OSNOVA
    « Reply #10 on: October 15, 2010, 03:48:22 pm »
    I am sorry for missing your question.  I have been able to find a work-around with DVJ on Kindle 3.  The files that are sold right now on Amazon work as they should on Kindle 2, DX, and 3.  So, no worries.

Offline love2read

• Ohio
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: October 31, 2010, 06:21:41 pm »
    Thanks, I bought both the NET and King James versions just after I posted my original question and love them both.

Offline osnova

• NoVa
      • View Profile
      • OSNOVA
    « Reply #12 on: November 03, 2010, 09:32:52 pm »
    Thank you.  I appreciate it.

Offline markbeyer

• Prague
    • Keep Writing!
      • View Profile
      • BIBLIOGRIND
    « Reply #13 on: January 29, 2011, 08:42:23 am »
    I think it's always best to find the version that lets you jump to chapters/passages through simple word searches. For those who don't (can't) quote chapter/verse, this is a great way to browse the KJV.
    Mark Beyer
    Author of THE VILLAGE WIT
    Sample or purchase the ebook:
    http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/25306
    Purchase the print edition:
    https://www.createspace.com/3476161

Offline osnova

• NoVa
      • View Profile
      • OSNOVA
    « Reply #14 on: January 31, 2011, 11:15:19 pm »
    Maybe I misunderstand your comment, Mark, but all versions allow simple word searches.  That's what Kindle does for all books.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement