Author Topic: pseudonyms  (Read 647 times)  

Offline Tatton Winter

• View Profile
pseudonyms
« on: October 08, 2018, 03:30:39 pm »
 I'm writing (at the editing stage) a novel outside of my usual genre. (I know, I know, just like your're not supposed to).
Previous novels have fallen into the women's fiction/thriller, if I must put a tag on them, but this little epic is historical. Unfortunately I think it might be my best so far and I'm wondering if it is a good idea to adopt a pseudonym for it.
             Anyone else out there writing under a pseudonym?

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Carol (was Dara)

• View Profile
    Re: pseudonyms
    « Reply #1 on: October 08, 2018, 08:34:54 pm »
    Welcome to the forum, Tatton. Lots of writers with pen names here. I have four. (It's kinda hard to stop, once you start.) There's a lot of arguments for and against splitting genres by pen name. Some like to keep the same name in hopes of cross-over sales, some like a new name to keep their also boughts pure. Me, I go with multiple names because I like clear dividing lines and I love the feeling of a fresh start. :)

Offline erikhanberg

• Tacoma, WA
    • Author, Parks Commissioner
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: October 08, 2018, 10:43:17 pm »
    I'm writing (at the editing stage) a novel outside of my usual genre. (I know, I know, just like your're not supposed to).
    Previous novels have fallen into the women's fiction/thriller, if I must put a tag on them, but this little epic is historical. Unfortunately I think it might be my best so far and I'm wondering if it is a good idea to adopt a pseudonym for it.
                 Anyone else out there writing under a pseudonym?

I used to think that "so long as my books weren't confusing to each other, that I didn't need a pseudonym." So I had mysteries, sci-fi, and nonfiction how-to books all under my name. It was a mistake.

Things like Bookbub, email lists, and more are awkward when they're all under the same pen. I don't target AMS ads on my name because people might be searching me for different reasons! It's just ... limiting.

I've offloaded my mysteries to a pen name (soon to be twocozy and suspense). And I have a literary novel under a pen name. For now, I'm keeping my sci-fi and my nonprofit books under my real name but it's vanity and it's likely hurting my overall marketing. I like being identified as a sci-fi author. I've (successfully) fought to get a park named Dune here in my hometown (and Frank Herbert's hometown. So next year we're opening a brand new park called Dune Peninsula and it's going to be awesome).

Anyway. If I could start all over, I would create a pen name for every genre.

The pen names don't have to be secret. My cozy mysteries say "E.E. Bailes is a pen name of Erik Hanberg." But your marketing life will be WAY easier if you plan ahead. New genre, new author name. Your life will be easier.

Online thegreenheron

• View Profile
      • Author Website
    « Reply #3 on: October 09, 2018, 05:11:17 am »
    I decided to go with a pen name because 1) my "real" last name is a mouthful and difficult to spell; and 2) I work in a profession, and I wanted to keep a little bit of separation between my author identity and my real identity under which I practice my profession, at least to the point if you google TheGreenHeron you're getting my author website versus if you google TheAquamarineHeron you're getting my LinkedIn and what-not related to my profession.
    The little green heron is a secretive and intelligent predator, and one of the only birds to use tools.

Offline Tatton Winter

• View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: October 09, 2018, 03:09:22 pm »
    I used to think that "so long as my books weren't confusing to each other, that I didn't need a pseudonym." So I had mysteries, sci-fi, and nonfiction how-to books all under my name. It was a mistake.

Things like Bookbub, email lists, and more are awkward when they're all under the same pen. I don't target AMS ads on my name because people might be searching me for different reasons! It's just ... limiting.

I've offloaded my mysteries to a pen name (soon to be twocozy and suspense). And I have a literary novel under a pen name. For now, I'm keeping my sci-fi and my nonprofit books under my real name but it's vanity and it's likely hurting my overall marketing. I like being identified as a sci-fi author. I've (successfully) fought to get a park named Dune here in my hometown (and Frank Herbert's hometown. So next year we're opening a brand new park called Dune Peninsula and it's going to be awesome).

Thanks Eric. Good to get such a definitive reply. Great name for a park, I would definitely go there

Anyway. If I could start all over, I would create a pen name for every genre.

The pen names don't have to be secret. My cozy mysteries say "E.E. Bailes is a pen name of Erik Hanberg." But your marketing life will be WAY easier if you plan ahead. New genre, new author name. Your life will be easier.

Offline Deacon Blues

• View Profile
      • Author Website
    « Reply #5 on: October 10, 2018, 06:40:01 pm »
    I'm launching a new series under a different name than the first 3 books. It's a bit of a process! In fact, I started a thread about it - partly to keep myself accountable, partly to document the process for anyone else doing the same thing.

Offline Tatton Winter

• View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: October 29, 2018, 03:11:43 pm »
    Thanks all. That what I needed to know. Kind of wishing I'd stuck to the same genre, not sure I can keep up with three but I'm now convinced they need to be under different names. Sorry about the delay in replying, I've been busy!

Online Kathy Dee

• View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: October 30, 2018, 12:45:30 am »
    Thanks all. That what I needed to know. Kind of wishing I'd stuck to the same genre, not sure I can keep up with three but I'm now convinced they need to be under different names. Sorry about the delay in replying, I've been busy!

Hop about, write different things, use different oennames until, when you find that one thing that you are good at, that people love and that you know you can stay with, long term, then, write your heart out.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement