Author Topic: Do book trailers work?  (Read 1182 times)  

Offline solo

• View Profile
Do book trailers work?
« on: October 09, 2018, 10:22:38 pm »
Hi. Ran across some articles saying book trailers work, help, produce exposure, lead to world peace, things like that. And they are expensive.

What's your mileage?

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline jlstovall4

• MG and YA (Sci Fi)
      • View Profile
      • Y. A. Marks Official Website
    Re: Do book trailers work?
    « Reply #1 on: October 10, 2018, 03:07:06 am »
    I think for most people they don't work at all or work very little. However, most authors produce photomontages (pictures slightly moving or fading into one another) with music and maybe a little voice over. These type of "trailers" don't excite. IMO I think you need to spend money, time, and make them comparable at least to a Hallmark/Sci Fi Channel movie trailer in order to get attention from your audience. There have been several threads on this, so I'd encourage you to check those threads out.

https://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,257674.msg3588743.html

https://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,259800.msg3616635.html

https://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,260362.msg3624978.html

https://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,288859.msg3734927.html

Offline thegreenheron

• View Profile
      • Author Website
    « Reply #2 on: October 10, 2018, 04:33:42 am »
    I read quite a bit, but I've never watched, or had any desire to watch, a book trailer. And I'm a pretty visual person. I could be an outlier, though.

If you like making trailers/videos, or you have money burning a hole in your pocket, I'd say go for it, but otherwise I would probably spend my marketing budget on other things.
    The little green heron is a secretive and intelligent predator, and one of the only birds to use tools.

Offline Rod Little

• View Profile
      • Rod Little Author
    « Reply #3 on: October 10, 2018, 06:12:19 am »
    If by "do they work" you mean: generate sales, then No, they don't usually generate sales.

However, they can be a fun addition to your website, and I think some readers (can) get intrigued by them. Think of it as setting the ground work. Don't spend too much, if ROI is important, because there's rarely a return on investment.

I often get emails saying "I liked your book(s)" but no one has ever said, "I liked your trailer," and no one ever confessed to making a purchase from a trailer. It's hard to say if they are worth the effort.  I made trailers for 3 books, but I won't make any more.  It was fun! but I think not worth the time.  Better to focus on writing a good blurb.

Sci-Fi, Horror, Post-apocalyptic, Alien Invasion
    Rod Little | website | Book Trailer | Twitter | FB

Offline anotherpage

• View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: October 10, 2018, 06:14:12 am »
    Hi. Ran across some articles saying book trailers work, help, produce exposure, lead to world peace, things like that. And they are expensive.

What's your mileage?

No. They are crap. Honestly, the idea is just a marketing ploy. They work for MOVIES but for books, nope. Save your money and spend it on other forms of advertising.

Offline solo

• View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: October 10, 2018, 08:38:23 am »
    Thanks for the feedback guys. It would be fun though to include it in a blog or social media page. Provided cost is as minimal as could be.

Offline 9 Diamonds

• View Profile
      • 9 Diamonds Press
    « Reply #6 on: October 11, 2018, 02:57:04 am »
    No. They are crap. Honestly, the idea is just a marketing ploy. They work for MOVIES but for books, nope. Save your money and spend it on other forms of advertising.

Oh really?

Offline rjspears

• Columbus, OH
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: October 11, 2018, 11:25:14 am »
    Sadly, I don't think so. I created one for my first book and it didn't move the needle at all in terms of sales.
    R.J. Spears

Offline jmb3

• So.Cal
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: October 11, 2018, 10:26:23 pm »
    I don't know if they sell books but I use mine when I do blog takeovers, sometimes facebook ads, or when people are waiting on a new book release. My book trailers are just crappy homemade ones I do myself with iMovie, stock pictures, and copyright free music (I donate money to the musician for his work). I get thousands of views on them despite the fact they are super cheesy.  ;D I think maybe each of my trailers cost me around $75 and I'm positive a few of those views have led to sales. Here's my last one (7.2K views) so you can see I'm not kidding when I say it's a very low-quality production.
    https://www.facebook.com/jbengtssonauthor/videos/876838665820330/

Offline solo

• View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: October 12, 2018, 12:08:27 am »
    Created a DIY book trailer a few days ago. More for fun actually. 800 plus views in Facebook, I think. Spent only for the image licenses (a few. Most are CC0 but credited the website. Music was also royalty/license free but credited the source too. They deserve that at the very least). I really don't know if it will lead to sales but the exposure is welcome. Did I mention it was fun?

Genre is epic fantasy. Here's a screenshot -
    « Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 12:56:35 am by solo »

Offline locutor99

• View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: May 14, 2020, 10:13:02 am »
    I think for most people they don't work at all or work very little. However, most authors produce photomontages (pictures slightly moving or fading into one another) with music and maybe a little voice over. These type of "trailers" don't excite. IMO I think you need to spend money, time, and make them comparable at least to a Hallmark/Sci Fi Channel movie trailer in order to get attention from your audience. There have been several threads on this, so I'd encourage you to check those threads out.

https://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,257674.msg3588743.html

https://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,259800.msg3616635.html

https://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,260362.msg3624978.html

https://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,288859.msg3734927.html

Offline locutor99

• View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: May 14, 2020, 10:15:13 am »

You can use my music . It is free music and royalty free music.  You can download free the music
    https://www.locutortv.com/background-music-instrumental-background-instrumental-music-free-download-music-video/

Offline markpauloleksiw

• Canada
      • View Profile
      • Mark Paul Oleksiw's Website
    « Reply #12 on: May 14, 2020, 11:29:54 am »
    Book trailers are another way to take money from authors. Plain and simple.

Mark

Offline Wayne Stinnett

• "I'm just a peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns."
      • View Profile
      • My Website
    « Reply #13 on: May 16, 2020, 09:18:55 am »
    I use them quite effectively in Facebook advertising, with a CPC of $.01 to $.02.
    And since I have a Youtube channel where I do a live podcast once a month and am working on monetizing that channel, every click gets me closer. So, click away.

Do they work? Define work. If you mean do they compel readers to search for the book, probably very little. If you mean can they be used to make money, yes.
    <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yr29JXihLrc" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yr29JXihLrc</a>
    My Bestselling, 18-volume Jesse McDermitt Series and the spinoff,  5-volume Charity Styles Series, also bestsellers, are available in ebook, audiobook, and paperback, wherever books are sold. In my motivational non-fiction, Blue Collar to No Collar, I provide tips, advice, and strategies for new authors, also available in the same formats. Don't forget to visit the Ship's Store for Jesse McDermitt swag.
    Wayne Stinnett | Website | Facebook | Amazon Author Page | Twitter | Talk Write Podcast | Ship's Store

Offline Amanda M. Lee

• Listen to me, you will.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: May 16, 2020, 09:24:25 am »
    In general, I think book trailers are a waste of money. It's best to do video ads that are no more than thirty seconds and convey a message that you don't have to wade through. So, more like mini book trailers. Anything over thirty seconds and you've essentially lost your audience. Fifteen seconds is even better but very difficult.

Amanda M. Lee

Offline Brevoort

• Calgary
      • View Profile
      • The Disaster Tourist
    « Reply #15 on: May 16, 2020, 09:50:50 am »
    Wayne. Can I just say that your video for Rising Thunder is a terrific piece of work. The cinematography, the editing, and the flow were all of the highest order. On its own it tells an intriguing story.

Full marks and more to the production crew.

Rick Grant
    Calgary

Offline Claire_Gem

• View Profile
    « Reply #16 on: May 16, 2020, 11:27:09 am »
    I don't know if they sell books but I use mine when I do blog takeovers, sometimes facebook ads, or when people are waiting on a new book release. My book trailers are just crappy homemade ones I do myself with iMovie, stock pictures, and copyright free music (I donate money to the musician for his work). I get thousands of views on them despite the fact they are super cheesy.  ;D I think maybe each of my trailers cost me around $75 and I'm positive a few of those views have led to sales. Here's my last one (7.2K views) so you can see I'm not kidding when I say it's a very low-quality production.
    https://www.facebook.com/jbengtssonauthor/videos/876838665820330/

With my first book, the trailer brought me a lot of sales, and I used iMovie and royalty free music, so it didn't cost me anything but time. The difference between yours and mine, though, is that I added words to each frame to give the viewer an idea of what the book was about. I've made trailers for all of my books since and I do think, when I promote the trailers, they do cause a spike in sales. I also have links for them on my Amazon author page and my website. Check them out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIZhnXBchSg&t=1s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZOY6VHx-nU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUa2RALSEm8

Contemporary Romance, Supernatural Romantic Suspense
    Claire Gem | Emotional Journeys | Claire Gem | Haunted Pathways | Amazon Author Page | Facebook

Offline Lorri Moulton [Lavender Lass Books]

• Author of sweet romance, fantasy, mystery/suspense
      • View Profile
    « Reply #17 on: May 16, 2020, 12:53:01 pm »
    I've had positive results.  I make them myself...and they do well in readers' groups on Facebook.  Also useful on Twitter and Instagram.

Author of Romance, Fantasy, Mystery, Suspense and Historical Non-Fiction.
    Lavender Lass Books | Website | Amazon | Facebook | Twitter |YouTube | Pinterest | Instagram

Offline 9 Diamonds

• View Profile
      • 9 Diamonds Press
    « Reply #18 on: May 17, 2020, 12:21:09 am »
    Ours are still proving effective. Often used in schools as entrees to the novels which are written for young readers.

Offline jvin248

• View Profile
      • J Gordon Smith - Official Author Weblog
    « Reply #19 on: May 17, 2020, 05:58:51 am »

Most book trailers plod along and while they may have been clicked on there is a high click away to something else.

Videos will appeal to different people than readers, viewers will ask "When is the movie coming out?" rather than searching for the book.

You can write another section of a book instead of building a video -- a video takes a lot of creative effort to get right.

Like anything, some may have success with it, but for most it's an excuse to spend time away from putting words on paper that actually pay.

Offline Wayne Stinnett

• "I'm just a peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns."
      • View Profile
      • My Website
    « Reply #20 on: May 17, 2020, 06:09:35 am »
    Wayne. Can I just say that your video for Rising Thunder is a terrific piece of work. The cinematography, the editing, and the flow were all of the highest order. On its own it tells an intriguing story.

Full marks and more to the production crew.

Dave has a thread right here in the forum. He's real easy to work with and only needs a little guidance as to what the book's about.
    My Bestselling, 18-volume Jesse McDermitt Series and the spinoff,  5-volume Charity Styles Series, also bestsellers, are available in ebook, audiobook, and paperback, wherever books are sold. In my motivational non-fiction, Blue Collar to No Collar, I provide tips, advice, and strategies for new authors, also available in the same formats. Don't forget to visit the Ship's Store for Jesse McDermitt swag.
    Wayne Stinnett | Website | Facebook | Amazon Author Page | Twitter | Talk Write Podcast | Ship's Store

Offline Lorri Moulton [Lavender Lass Books]

• Author of sweet romance, fantasy, mystery/suspense
      • View Profile
    « Reply #21 on: May 17, 2020, 10:34:33 am »
    I have a trailer right now at the top of my Twitter feed.  I interact with a lot of Hallmark fans, so this series is a good fit for people who like The Good Witch.  They can watch the trailer and click over to the series. 

ETA: Mainly, I use trailers for branding.  If people like the feel of the trailers, they'll probably like my books. And it drives traffic to my website.
    « Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 10:37:17 am by Lorri Moulton [Lavender Lass Books] »

Author of Romance, Fantasy, Mystery, Suspense and Historical Non-Fiction.
    Lavender Lass Books | Website | Amazon | Facebook | Twitter |YouTube | Pinterest | Instagram

Online DmGuay

• OH
      • View Profile
    « Reply #22 on: May 17, 2020, 10:59:19 am »
    Like others have said, book trailers don't really sell books. But they are a fun extra for you to share on your social, your goodreads and amazon author pages, to your youtube channel, if you have one. And they don't need to be expensive. I use Lumen5 to make videos. The service is free, although I do spend a few $ on stock art.

Writing the next book, a great blurb, a cover, etc. Are the keys to sales.
    The book trailer is like a bow on the package. Nice to have but not essential.

D.M. Guay | Web site

KBoards.com

• Advertisement