Author Topic: Yet Another Writing Software?  (Read 1432 times)  

Offline minky

• PA, US
  • minky.app - New Writing Platform
    • View Profile
    • minky.app writing platform
Yet Another Writing Software?
« on: October 12, 2018, 08:25:59 am »
Hi.

TL;DR I'm here to judge interest and get honest feedback on a new writing platform including writing/marketing.

Update - Based on feedback, I'll just be writing this for myself. Thanks for the opinions though.

I know people use everything from Scrivener to Google Docs. I just didn't find anything that covered everything I wanted, so I started writing a new writing platform.

I'm coming to you folks, the experienced writers, to see if this is something you would be interested in, and bottom line would pay for to sustain development.

This is all in one environment...

On the UI side...
  • I'm tired of mac vs pc vs linux. So this will be multi-platform (including mobile) browser based that works online or offline just like google docs.
  • Clean, attractive, and simple UI. I don't want to have to read a bunch of manuals to understand my writing environment.
  • Draggable outline re-ordering
  • Split screen - have your outlines and editor open together
  • Dark/Light mode
  • Ambient sounds (wind, rain, music, etc)

On the writing side...
  • Full screen get out of your way editor
  • Multiple revisions automatically saved - go back in time
  • Backups to your dropbox/google drive/onedrive
  • Exports to html/epub/pdf
  • Import from html
  • Image support and store your research items
  • Quick access to dictionary, thesaurus, and word suggestions
  • Stats on your progress
  • Book metadata

On the marketing side...
  • Every book and author gets its own public webpage with option to share chapters
  • Email list management
  • Invite people to read your book/chapters and provide comments/feedback on them
  • Tweet out your progress

...Those are some of the features planned on. Planned for sometime early next year.

So now as your my potential customers, what are your thoughts?

What do you like/not like?
It sounds good and you would subscribe?
It sounds good but I wouldn't pay?

To follow along the progress, you can sign up for the email at https://www.minky.app/
« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 06:44:14 pm by minky »

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline setherd

• Sunny Florida
      • View Profile
      • hollen.org
    Re: Yet Another Writing Software?
    « Reply #1 on: October 12, 2018, 11:39:58 am »
    Export/import doc and docx.
    has to work offline for me. I do a lot of my writing where I don't have internet access.
    Take care,
    Seth

Offline streetwrites

• Tennessee, USA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: October 12, 2018, 12:09:31 pm »
    I actually think all of the features on this sound great. I'd be all for a browser-based platform. I use Scrivener currently, and it sounds like a lot of the features you mentioned cross over with that. I will say...I'd be willing to pay, but I really like that, with Scrivener, I can pay one time and I'm covered. There are so many subscription-based services out there competing for airtime that I think you might be more successful if you offer an option for a one-time payment. Best of luck! I'll be following progress on this!

Offline minky

• PA, US
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: October 13, 2018, 07:52:16 am »
    Thanks for your thoughts. Lack of replies may simply show there may not be a need for yet another writing software. :)

Offline ShayneRutherford

• Toronto, Ontario
      • View Profile
      • My Website
    « Reply #4 on: October 13, 2018, 02:10:54 pm »
    I might be interested, but only if I could purchase it outright. I have subscriptions coming out my ears, and I don't want any more.

Online unkownwriter

• View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: October 22, 2018, 01:52:23 am »
    To be honest, I have everything I need in Scrivener. Hate music/sound, won't pay a subscription, won't work online. I likely won't even pay to upgrade my PC version unless it's really awesome (like, I get a lot of control over PDFs), because I'm more basic than bells and whistles, and I've gotten used to doing things this way. But, man, I really want a good book builder for print. And no, not getting Vellum! New computers and expensive software are not going to happen. :(

Offline vagabond.voyager

• Australia
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: October 22, 2018, 04:12:04 am »
    Hi.

TL;DR I'm here to judge interest and get honest feedback on a new writing platform including writing/marketing.

I know people use everything from Scrivener to Google Docs. I just didn't find anything that covered everything I wanted, so I started writing a new writing platform.

I'm coming to you folks, the experienced writers, to see if this is something you would be interested in, and bottom line would pay for to sustain development.

This is all in one environment...

On the UI side...
    • I'm tired of mac vs pc vs linux. So this will be multi-platform (including mobile) browser based that works online or offline just like google docs.
    • Clean, attractive, and simple UI. I don't want to have to read a bunch of manuals to understand my writing environment.
    • Draggable outline re-ordering
    • Split screen - have your outlines and editor open together
    • Dark/Light mode
    • Ambient sounds (wind, rain, music, etc)

On the writing side...
    • Full screen get out of your way editor
    • Multiple revisions automatically saved - go back in time
    • Backups to your dropbox/google drive/onedrive
    • Exports to html/epub/pdf
    • Import from html
    • Image support and store your research items
    • Quick access to dictionary, thesaurus, and word suggestions
    • Stats on your progress
    • Book metadata

On the marketing side...
    • Every book and author gets its own public webpage with option to share chapters
    • Email list management
    • Invite people to read your book/chapters and provide comments/feedback on them
    • Tweet out your progress

...Those are some of the features planned on. Planned for sometime early next year.

So now as your my potential customers, what are your thoughts?

What do you like/not like?
    It sounds good and you would subscribe?
    It sounds good but I wouldn't pay?

To follow along the progress, you can sign up for the email at https://www.minky.app/

I see nothing in this that I cannot already do with Scrivener. A single person trying to match the experience and proficiency of an experienced team (Literature & Latte) with what can be a complex project is definitely going to have problems. I would not be interested even if it was free. I have something that works and that also has an exceptional support team. Thanks but no thanks.

Offline Mike Coville

• View Profile
      • Author Mike Coville
    « Reply #7 on: October 22, 2018, 07:45:51 am »
    Sounds ambitious. I'm a scrivener user but have been looking for a browser base platform that I can use on Chromebook. Unfortunately everything I find like this is subscription based. I think it will be hard for you to compete with scrivener's price point if you are hosting a cloud version.

I'll keep an eye out on your project though. Best of luck.

Mike Coville | Author Site

Offline minky

• PA, US
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: October 22, 2018, 06:43:06 pm »
    Appreciate the feedback. It's a tough market for sure. It sounds more like I'll just write something for myself. I prefer multi-device, online/offline so I can work anywhere and on any device, that's why I'm not a fan of scrivener (outside of general looks/etc).

Offline vagabond.voyager

• Australia
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: October 22, 2018, 07:52:20 pm »
    Appreciate the feedback. It's a tough market for sure. It sounds more like I'll just write something for myself. I prefer multi-device, online/offline so I can work anywhere and on any device, that's why I'm not a fan of scrivener (outside of general looks/etc).

Apparently you aren't familiar with Scrivener. It is multi-device, and you can work anywhere with it, on or off-line and cross platform. I use it on all Windows based PCs, all Apple Based systems, plus iOS based iPads, iPhones. (I don't use any device with Android as I refuse to use a device that has such a high security risk.) I use it mostly off-line other than when allowing it to sync. It is an ideal program for any writer.

Online Doglover

• Huntingdon, United Kingdom
    • If you want real love, buy a dog.
      • View Profile
      • Margaret Brazear Author
    « Reply #10 on: October 22, 2018, 10:27:15 pm »
    Apparently you aren't familiar with Scrivener. It is multi-device, and you can work anywhere with it, on or off-line and cross platform. I use it on all Windows based PCs, all Apple Based systems, plus iOS based iPads, iPhones. (I don't use any device with Android as I refuse to use a device that has such a high security risk.) I use it mostly off-line other than when allowing it to sync. It is an ideal program for any writer.
    I don't like Scrivener at all. There are too many bits and pieces when all I want to do is write. I'm quite happy with Word.

The past is another country; they do things differently there
    Margaret Brazear | Website | Blog | Facebook | Newsletter

Offline vagabond.voyager

• Australia
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: October 22, 2018, 10:46:32 pm »
    I don't like Scrivener at all. There are too many bits and pieces when all I want to do is write. I'm quite happy with Word.
    You can just write with Scrivener as well. There is no need to concern yourself with those "bits and pieces" until you need one of them for a definite purpose. Too many people feel that using Scrivener requires experience of every aspect of it. It doesn't. It would perhaps have been better if Literature & Latte had two menus. One a simple one for just writing in sections or chapters, and the second one for the many extras, to be used as they were required. It is a shame that the "apparent" complexity scares so many people off.

Online Doglover

• View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: October 22, 2018, 11:00:58 pm »
    You can just write with Scrivener as well. There is no need to concern yourself with those "bits and pieces" until you need one of them for a definite purpose. Too many people feel that using Scrivener requires experience of every aspect of it. It doesn't. It would perhaps have been better if Literature & Latte had two menus. One a simple one for just writing in sections or chapters, and the second one for the many extras, to be used as they were required. It is a shame that the "apparent" complexity scares so many people off.
    It doesn't scare me off; I just don't see why I'd need it.

Offline vagabond.voyager

• Australia
      • View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: October 22, 2018, 11:13:38 pm »
    I misunderstood you. As you were commenting on the features, I thought that you had the program but no longer used it. I have met a number of people who do own it, but don't use it. I love the program, but the sort of work I have been doing is ideal for it. Text book, magazines, all can be complex, but Scrivener makes it easy to organise complex material.

Online Doglover

• View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: October 22, 2018, 11:18:44 pm »
    I misunderstood you. As you were commenting on the features, I thought that you had the program but no longer used it. I have met a number of people who do own it, but don't use it. I love the program, but the sort of work I have been doing is ideal for it. Text book, magazines, all can be complex, but Scrivener makes it easy to organise complex material.
    I've tried the trial three times and couldn't see any benefit to me, but that's me. It must be good as many people swear by it.

Online thegreenheron

• View Profile
      • Author Website
    « Reply #15 on: October 23, 2018, 04:28:23 am »

I thought I was the only writer on the planet who didn't like Scrivener. I don't have much trouble keeping my research, plot, and characters straight in my head, so all the extra stuff is just extra clutter when Word (or Apple Pages) works just as well. And when I try to compile documents, I always seem to end up with something totally screwed up no matter how many times I read the directions. Whereas I can drop my Word doc into Apple Pages, add my cover, and Apple generates a decent ePub for me with a click.

Then again, I don't write fiction at anywhere close to the rate people around here seem to do, so maybe that's why I have an easy time keeping stuff straight just using my brain.
    The little green heron is a secretive and intelligent predator, and one of the only birds to use tools.

Online Doglover

• View Profile
    « Reply #16 on: October 23, 2018, 04:36:08 am »
    I thought I was the only writer on the planet who didn't like Scrivener. I don't have much trouble keeping my research, plot, and characters straight in my head, so all the extra stuff is just extra clutter when Word (or Apple Pages) works just as well. And when I try to compile documents, I always seem to end up with something totally screwed up no matter how many times I read the directions. Whereas I can drop my Word doc into Apple Pages, add my cover, and Apple generates a decent ePub for me with a click.

Then again, I don't write fiction at anywhere close to the rate people around here seem to do, so maybe that's why I have an easy time keeping stuff straight just using my brain.

You're not alone. I use my memory for everything and if there's something I want to keep separate, like a timeline, I just use another Word file. I upload the Word document as well. And I can turn out a novel in three to four weeks.

I just don't see the need to keep all these bits in separate sections.

Offline minky

• PA, US
      • View Profile
    « Reply #17 on: October 23, 2018, 05:24:42 pm »
    It just had buggy syncing, which I obviously didnt like. I wanted something built around that not just added to it after the fact. Maybe they'll fix that on the upcoming Windows release (which also bugs me - separate versions for different OSes).

Offline vagabond.voyager

• Australia
      • View Profile
    « Reply #18 on: October 23, 2018, 09:35:12 pm »
    It just had buggy syncing, which I obviously didnt like. I wanted something built around that not just added to it after the fact. Maybe they'll fix that on the upcoming Windows release (which also bugs me - separate versions for different OSes).
    How was it buggy? You sync through a cloud service, in my case Dropbox. As long as you always close the file on any device you are using, it will open in any other device without problems.

Offline Evenstar

• Here. Hare. Here.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #19 on: October 24, 2018, 12:22:09 am »
    I'm definitely someone who is scared by Scrivener. I keep trying to use it for my books and then end up going back to word.

Right now I'm in the annoying position of having all my plotting on scriv and all my book in a word doc. I have to keep them both open and go back and forth!

But Joanna Penn is hosting a tutorial online today (the details are on her website), so I'll be attending that to see if I can get a bit more competent with it and make some headway with the steep learning curve.

I can totally see the benefits of conquering the scrivener fear!

Offline Evenstar

• Here. Hare. Here.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #20 on: October 24, 2018, 12:24:02 am »
    To the OP, sorry for going off topic on your thread, I lost track of where we started!

I agree with the others that is sounds good, but I don't want another subscription.  I think I paid about $50 for Scrivener as a once only cost. It would have to be less than that to interest me.

Offline John Etzil

• View Profile
    « Reply #21 on: October 30, 2018, 05:37:51 pm »

Automatic backups zipped to DropBox with date time in file name? Pretty much guarantees that you'll never loose anything...

John Etzil

Online Doglover

• View Profile
    « Reply #22 on: October 30, 2018, 09:49:59 pm »
    Automatic backups zipped to DropBox with date time in file name? Pretty much guarantees that you'll never loose anything...
    I can get the same thing in Word with automatic back ups to Cloud.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement