Author Topic: INSTANT POT... Post all here... RECIPES too!!  (Read 4760 times)  

Offline MichelleB675

• View Profile
Re: INSTANT POT... Post all here... RECIPES too!!
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2019, 12:30:01 pm »
So I made the yogurt. Loved the texture and taste. But it turns out my stomach doesn't like yogurt. I can handle it cooked or baked into foods, but not straight. So won't be making that again. Bummer.

I made cottage cheese for my mom, it turned out good.

And made some egg bites for hubby, using some of the homemade cottage cheese. Hubby loved them.

Today I made a burrito bowl recipe. http://mycrazygoodlife.com/instant-pot-21-day-fix-burrito-bowl

So I'm very much enjoying my instant pot.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Online crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • Member #1600 since January 15, 2009
      • View Profile
    « Reply #26 on: April 23, 2019, 02:01:33 pm »
    I learned something new about IP cooking yesterday when wandering around reading various blogs and recipe sites.  Did you know/have any of you cooked with ZERO time?  It's real, you manually set the time to "0" and as soon as it reaches pressure, it turns off and starts into the keep warm cycle.  Apparently great for things like fresh broccoli that tend to get mushy really quickly.  The increasing warmth as it gets up to pressure provides all the cooking you need.

Here's the first recipe I tried from a blog called Cooking with Karli:

"Instant Pot Cashew Chicken and Noodles

Instant Pot Cashew Chicken and Noodles is finished in no time, literally zero minutes on high pressure! The ramen noodles soak up the sweet sauce that perfectly pairs the veggies, cashews and chicken.

Ingredients
    1 cup chicken broth
    1/4 cup brown sugar
    2 tbsp soy sauce
    1/2 tsp minced garlic dried
    1/4 tsp sesame oil
    1/8 tsp salt
    1 pkg Top Ramen
    1 cup cooked, frozen chicken chunks
    2 cups frozen stir fry veggies
    3/4 cup cashews

Instructions
    Put the broth, brown sugar, soy sauce, garlic, sesame oil and salt into the Instant Pot liner. Stir until combined. Place the Ramen noodles (you can break it in half if you want, I dont though) into the liquid and then flip it over (so both sides are wet).
    Pour the veggies, frozen chicken and cashews on top. Lock lid and pressure cook for 0 minutes. (Z-E-R-O. Not a typo.) Quick release, give it a stir and then it is already time to eat!"

Comments after the recipe indicated any already cooked meat works, frozen or thawed.  I tried it with all the leftovers from a rotisserie chicken.  It was delicious and turned out great.  Obviously it still took about 20 minutes to come up to pressure, but with a quick release certainly ended up being an under 30-minute meal that was literally dump it all in and forget about it.

eta:  I used fresh garlic
    « Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 02:03:55 pm by crebel »

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #27 on: April 23, 2019, 04:11:00 pm »
    Never thought to do 0, but makes sense I guess since it does take a while to come to temperature. I have done 3 and 5 before. 3 I think when I did some quick cook oatmeal, back when I still ate it. And I did chicken diced at 5 making some sort of "Eintopf" a typical popular german dish which just means one pot. Or all in one pot.

I could adjust that recipe by not using ramen noodles of course, but adding some miracle noodles at the end. And no sugar either, a wee bit erythritol then. And a few less cashews.  :-\. But otherwise it would be the same  ;D

Offline MichelleB675

• View Profile
    « Reply #28 on: April 23, 2019, 04:12:21 pm »
    I tried a recipe that was 0 minutes, or maybe it was 1. I can't remember. The chicken part had already cooked most of the way during the saute stage.

Some recipes I have tried and my family enjoyed...

Egg Roll Bowls - This Old Gal https://thisoldgal.com/instant-pot-egg-roll-bowls/
    Lasagna - Amy + Jacky https://www.pressurecookrecipes.com/instant-pot-lasagna/
    Ricotta Cheese - Tidbits by Cami https://www.tidbits-cami.com/homemade-ricotta-cheese/
    I also used the meat sauce recipe linked in the lasagna recipe.
    Food Court Bourbon Chicken - Pressure Luck - https://pressureluckcooking.com/recipe/instant-pot-bourbon-chicken/
    Philly Cheesesteak Pasta - This Old Gal - https://thisoldgal.com/instant-pot-philly-cheesesteak-pasta/
    Cheesecake #17 - Amy + Jacky - https://www.pressurecookrecipes.com/instant-pot-cheesecake-new-york/

Offline MichelleB675

• View Profile
    « Reply #29 on: May 02, 2019, 04:10:46 pm »
    Another winner. Even my hubby loved these and he doesn't like greens.

Southern Style Collard Greens with Smoked Turkey - My Forking Life
    https://www.myforkinglife.com/southern-style-pressure-cooker-collard-greens-with-smoked-turkey/

Online crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #30 on: May 02, 2019, 04:21:19 pm »
    Another winner. Even my hubby loved these and he doesn't like greens.

Southern Style Collard Greens with Smoked Turkey - My Forking Life
    https://www.myforkinglife.com/southern-style-pressure-cooker-collard-greens-with-smoked-turkey/

I love collards but have never prepared them myself.  I will make this recipe in the next week.  Thanks, Michelle!

Online crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #31 on: May 05, 2019, 03:37:42 pm »
    No fresh collards or smoked turkey legs in any of my local grocery stores :( so I'll have to wait on trying that yummy sounding recipe.

I did cook chicken and my homemade enchilada sauce in the IP to have enchiladas for Cinco de Mayo today.  I don't have any ingredient amounts to give you because I just throw things in  :o, but after sauteing onions and garlic in the IP, I added:

canned tomatoes
    chili powder (hot)
    cumin
    cinnamon
    black garlic powder
    chicken stock

eta:  normally I would add a small can of green chilies, but didn't have any in the pantry. 

I added (seasoned with salt & pepper) skinless, boneless chicken breasts and cooked on high for 8 minutes and waited for natural pressure release.  The chicken was moist, already seasoned with the sauce by cooking in it, and shredded easily when cooled. The sauce thickened without a roux and i ran my immersion blender through it. 

It took less than 10 minutes to shred the chicken, mix some sauce back in, dip tortillas in the sauce, and roll up the enchiladas with the chicken and cheese (I used Colby Jack).  A ladle full of sauce on the bottom of a casserole, filled tortillas on top, remaining sauce over all and covered with more shredded cheese.  Into the oven for 15 minutes covered, 15 minutes uncovered until cheese was browned and bubbly.

Delicious, easy, only 1 pot and one casserole dish to wash.  Since everything is cooked already, it really could be done in less time - 15 minutes in the oven to make sure the chicken is reheated and then a few minutes under the broiler to bubble/brown the cheese.  8)
    « Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 03:40:36 pm by crebel »

Offline MichelleB675

• View Profile
    « Reply #32 on: May 06, 2019, 05:13:34 am »
    I bought my collards in a bag, they were already cleaned and cut. It was more than the recipe called for but it fit my pot and if I had used less there would have been more turkey leg than greens lol. The smoked turkey leg was oddly kept with the hamhocks at Walmart. Our other grocery stores didn't have them but Sam's Club and Walmart both did. It was around $5 for 1 at Walmart or $15 for 3 at Sam's.

I made Salmon with Garlic Potatoes and Spinach in my instant pot yesterday.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchen/instant-pot-salmon-with-garlic-potatoes-and-greens-3894814?

Which now that I think of it, I forgot to add the garlic. It was still yummy.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33 on: May 06, 2019, 06:55:10 am »
    Its only morning and my mouth is watering.

I made chicken sausage gumbo the other day. Crebel send me a website for low carb that also has IP recipes.
    I love easy recipes where I have most of the items already in the house other than maybe the meats. I bought chicken breasts on sale last week and then cut them in chunks and food saver-d them into 1 lbs packages to freeze.

I made this dish on thursday. I think it was thursday, could have been friday  :-\. Anywho, it was so so good. I used fire roasted diced tomatos in the can as that is what I had and the sausage was some HEB ring of regular sausage.
    It was really really good and so quick. Since I have the spices and more frozen chicken in the house, I can always whip that in. My chicken was frozen so I added a few minutes to the recipe. Once it was done, I took the chicken out and cut it in pieces. For some reason I am never able to "shred" well. Stuff flies all over the place. So I cut it with a knife, put it back in another 2 minutes on pressure and it worked perfect that way. Since it was already hot it didn't take long the second time to count down the 2 minutes.

https://www.savorytooth.com/instant-pot-gumbo/

I have found that unless I have chicken in some sauce to cook, it turns out a bit tough in the IP. I am not sure why that is. Like there are recipes to cook frozen chicken breasts with some sauce like salsa, then you shred it and use it. Tried it a couple of times and each time the chicken was hard to even cut, just tough and not tender at all. So after I cut it now i put it back in for 2 more minutes so it gets cooked into the sauce. Not sure what I am doing wrong with chicken, but I haven't had much success with it on its own. Or without cooking it again. Or shredding, can't shred it either, too tough. Maybe rubbery is the better word.

Offline MichelleB675

• View Profile
    « Reply #34 on: May 06, 2019, 07:00:48 am »
    I always cut chicken instead of shredding, I just prefer it that way.

When you're making chicken are you doing natural release or quick release?

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #35 on: May 06, 2019, 07:28:05 am »
    I have tried both ways. Some recipes say release after 10 minutes, others say natural. I have the same results with either method. How do you do it, natural?

Offline MichelleB675

• View Profile
    « Reply #36 on: May 06, 2019, 07:46:59 am »
    I usually do natural release for 10-15, then manual release, by then most of the steam is already out anyway. Maybe shave a couple of minutes off your cook time to see if that helps. It could also be the brand of chicken. Some folks in the FB group have mentioned that they have bought some brands that always turn out tough in the IP. I think it's just one of those things that if you talk to 100 different people you'll get 100 different answers.

Online crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #37 on: May 06, 2019, 08:25:13 am »
    Also, do you let the chicken cool a bit before shredding or cutting?  That lets the juices redistribute and creates more tender meat, IMO.  I agree that having chicken covered or almost covered with whatever your cooking liquid is always results in more fall apart meat.  I also think bone-in meat of any kind cooks out more tender than boneless, whatever process you use.

I do natural release for pretty much all meats, but I still find a beef roast gets more tender from a second short pressure cooking even if I let it rest, so it may be the same with your chicken.  I'm talking about when I want it to fall apart for beef and noodles or bbq sandwiches rather than slices.

Even easier and faster for the enchiladas I made yesterday would be a rotisserie chicken from the store! :)

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #38 on: May 06, 2019, 08:42:39 am »
    I have made a whole chicken in the IP and it turned out super tender. Followed the recipe, skin on and all. That would be a perfect way to make shredded chicken for enchiladas and such I think. I do prefer breast overall, but I have a hubby that likes dark meats like the legs.  ;D

This is the one I made
    https://amindfullmom.com/how-to-make-a-whole-chicken-in-the-instant-pot/

We ate it as rotisserie and I shredded what was left. I didn't mind that the skin wasn't crips. Site gives tips on how to crips up the skin in the oven afterwards, but I didn't try that.

I am going to have to make that again, if I could find my darn trivet.
    « Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 08:49:32 am by Atunah »

Online crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #39 on: May 06, 2019, 08:51:17 am »
    I have made a whole chicken in the IP and it turned out super tender. Followed the recipe, skin on and all. That would be a perfect way to make shredded chicken for enchiladas and such I think. I do prefer breast overall, but I have a hubby that likes dark meats like the legs.  ;D

Exactly, you had bone and skin.  I think it really does make a difference.  I'm with your DH about the dark meat - the thigh is the BEST part of a chicken!

Offline MichelleB675

• View Profile
    « Reply #40 on: May 08, 2019, 04:12:21 pm »
    I made this today..

Balsamic Ginger Chicken from This Old Gal
    https://thisoldgal.com/pressure-cooker-balsamic-ginger-chicken/

Changes I made -

1. I used 2 boneless skinless breasts
    2. I forgot to marinate it because I was tired from mowing the lawn.
    3. Sauteed the breasts in ghee to lightly brown. Deglazed with some water. Poured marinade/sauce over the top.
    4. Marinade/sauce - I'm allergic to honey so I used some brown rice syrup.
    5. High pressure 7 minutes, natural release 10 minutes, then quick/manual release.
    6. Thicken with cornstarch slurry.

I cut up the chicken and added it back to the sauce, served over long grain white rice that was cooked PIP on top of the chicken.

In my 3 qt duo mini I steamed a bag of baby broccoli. I delayed start for 10 minutes and then did HP 0 minutes, quick release.

Both pots finished at exactly the same time.

The chicken was perfectly cooked. Super moist and tender. Yay!

Offline loonlover

• Arkansas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #41 on: May 08, 2019, 08:49:44 pm »
    I had my first sort of failure with the pot tonight. I was fixing spaghetti using my own sauce recipe and homemade frozen meatballs. Apparently I did not have quite enough liquid in the pot for it to pressurize. By the time I turned it off, some of the spaghetti had stuck to the bottom. I have a second liner so we transferred what wasn't stuck to the bottom to the second pot, added more liquid, and tried again. Just as the pot got up to pressure, the power went out. The spaghetti wasn't far from done and the meatballs were almost at the approved temperature when we restarted the pot, so we opened it, and determined that the spaghetti had finished cooking to the point we could eat it. It tasted fine, and I will fix it again, just will add more water to the sauce in the future.

I do wish I could have saved the leftovers, but it was raining too hard to hook up the generator at that time, and I sure didn't want to open the fridge, let alone put something still warm in there. By the time we could hook the generator up, I didn't feel safe saving the spaghetti.

Offline MichelleB675

• View Profile
    « Reply #42 on: May 18, 2019, 06:01:28 pm »
    Hubby really loved this recipe when I made it a few days ago.

https://www.pressurecookingtoday.com/pressure-cooker-chinese-lemon-chicken/

Offline anguabell

• View Profile
      • Goodreads
    « Reply #43 on: May 21, 2019, 03:20:59 pm »
    I made roasted pork (same idea as the roasted chicken, finishing under the broiler for a few minutes), and it was a great success! So rice is my only consistent failure so far  :)

Offline MichelleB675

• View Profile
    « Reply #44 on: June 17, 2019, 04:46:29 pm »
    I'm debating on getting a Mealthy Crisp Lid to turn my IP into an air fryer. Not that I really want an air fryer but if I want to brown the cheese on my lasagna or do a small batch of fries or something without heating up the whole kitchen, it would be handy to have.

In other news... the 3 lb Butterball boneless turkey breast roast (Savory Herb) is awesome in the IP, quick saute in some ghee to brown all sides, HP for 20 minutes and NPR. Soooo moist and yummy.

I made a nutella cheesecake today using this recipe - https://www.pressurecookingtoday.com/pressure-cooker-nutella-rolo-cheesecake/

Instead of topping with rolo candies I sliced strawberries to put on top of nutella ganache, and mixed some chopped hazelnuts with the crushed oreos for the crust. OMG it was heavenly.

I also made this Persian herbed rice, the only change I made to this one was adding a half bag of frozen baby peas. https://twosleevers.com/instant-pot-sabzi-polo/

Instant Pot Creamy French Onion Ground Beef and Noodles was also good. I only did high pressure for 3 minutes, didn't want my noodles mushy. https://www.soulfullymade.com/instant-pot-creamy-french-onion-ground-beef-and-noodles/

edit to add... I think I have finally found my perfect yogurt combination (cold start). 1/2 gallon of half and half (ultra pasteurized), 1/2 can sweetened condensed milk, and Siggis vanilla yogurt for the starter, I didn't really measure it I just used 3 heaping spoonfuls. I set it for 9 hours but shut it off 15 minutes early. A quick spoon test and taste and it was perfect. Thick and creamy and just enough tartness and sweetness.
    « Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 04:53:19 pm by MichelleB675 »

Offline Jane917

• Ridgefield, WA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #45 on: June 18, 2019, 07:34:13 am »
    I'm debating on getting a Mealthy Crisp Lid to turn my IP into an air fryer. Not that I really want an air fryer but if I want to brown the cheese on my lasagna or do a small batch of fries or something without heating up the whole kitchen, it would be handy to have.

I am considering the Mealthy Crisper also. I have an air fryer, but my IP holds a lot more. It would be so great for chicken wings, lasagna, etc. Let me know how you like it. It has not been released yet, has it?
    Words with Friends: Jane917

(Make your own reading bar)

Offline MichelleB675

• View Profile
    « Reply #46 on: June 18, 2019, 07:39:01 am »
    I think it is out next week. I haven't pre-ordered yet.

I tend to do the "shopping cart hokey pokey" a lot lol. I went back and forth over the instant pot for 2 years before finally getting one. then a few weeks later had a second one.

From the videos I've watched the crisping basket is shallow, but I think someone fit 15 or so wings in it.

Online crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #47 on: June 18, 2019, 07:57:34 am »
    Any link?  I'm finding an entire Mealthy pressure cooker, but not any sort of an accessory that can be used with an IP.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #48 on: June 18, 2019, 08:11:22 am »
    Again, crebel is in my head. I was just looking on amazon for a crisp lid for the instant pot. Can't find it either. Always a dollar short and a day late  ;D

Offline MichelleB675

• View Profile
    « Reply #49 on: June 18, 2019, 08:14:04 am »
    The only way to get to it right now is through a link provided by a reviewer.. this link is from This Old Gal

https://mealthy.com/products/mealthy-crisplid?rfsn=1746670.48880fd&fbclid=IwAR0kr6VdfesH7zdCdXUlpJOWx9A0RUHghrHVcyn5G3j4G6WS3P71k6Dlln8

I think it's supposed to be on Amazon next month but not sure if the price will be higher or not. For now a preorder is $49.99 + $10 for shipping through the link above.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement