Author Topic: INSTANT POT... Post all here... RECIPES too!!  (Read 4759 times)  

Online crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
  • Member #1600 since January 15, 2009
    • View Profile
Re: INSTANT POT... Post all here... RECIPES too!!
« Reply #50 on: June 18, 2019, 08:32:30 am »
Thanks, Michelle.  It does look interesting.  I'll wait for some reviews and Amazon availability, but it would be nice to get rid of my bulky air fryer if this smaller footprint accessory really works!

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline loonlover

• Arkansas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #51 on: June 18, 2019, 11:38:08 am »
    The crisper lid is sure intriguing, although I'm not sure I can justify it since I have a large air fryer I use a lot. If I'm doing chicken tenders, legs, or wings I usually do enough to have some to put in the freezer and not sure this would allow large enough portions for that. I'm with Crebel on waiting a while to see more reviews before making a decision.

Online crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #52 on: June 20, 2019, 10:30:05 am »
    Recently I have run across multiple recipes that talk about a specific amount of time for a "natural release".  For example, 5 minutes at high pressure and 5 minutes natural release.  What does that mean??

When the beep signals the end of cooking, leave it alone for 5 minutes, then do a quick release for any remaining pressure?  Do bursts of quick release over 5 minutes until you can open the lid?

This is probably more confusing to me than it needs to be.  :-\

Offline MichelleB675

• View Profile
    « Reply #53 on: June 20, 2019, 12:05:06 pm »
    Natural release just means leave it alone to release the pressure slowly for however long the recipe says, after that you can turn the knob to venting and "quick release" the rest of the pressure

Online crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #54 on: June 20, 2019, 03:36:53 pm »
    Thanks, Michelle.  That's what I thought it was most likely to be, but I don't know why they can't say that using the terms we all know now.  "Cook on high 5 minutes and allow 5 minutes of natural release before a final quick release." Picky, aren't I? :D

Offline MichelleB675

• View Profile
    « Reply #55 on: June 20, 2019, 03:52:57 pm »
    You're welcome.

I did some beef riblets and corn on the cob yesterday both turned out awesome.

Offline Jane917

• Ridgefield, WA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #56 on: June 21, 2019, 01:59:48 pm »
    Thanks, Michelle.  That's what I thought it was most likely to be, but I don't know why they can't say that using the terms we all know now.  "Cook on high 5 minutes and allow 5 minutes of natural release before a final quick release." Picky, aren't I? :D

Technically, a Quick Release (QR) means to release the pressure immediately after the cook time is over. If you need to have a 10 minute release, the directions will generally ask for a 10 minute Natural Release (10 min NR).
    Words with Friends: Jane917

(Make your own reading bar)

Offline MichelleB675

• View Profile
    « Reply #57 on: June 23, 2019, 02:56:37 pm »

Offline loonlover

• Arkansas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #58 on: June 24, 2019, 07:32:07 am »
    Perfectly cooked yummy southern green beans

https://www.theferventmama.com/instant-pot-green-beans-fresh-beans/

Sounds delicious. I will be trying this.

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
    • madhouse escapee #671
      • View Profile
    « Reply #59 on: July 01, 2019, 07:24:50 am »
    Saw this in Amazon's July Kindle book sale:

This Old Gal's Pressure Cooker Cookbook - $2.99 at posting

I bought it, but I haven't had a chance to look at it yet.

Offline MichelleB675

• View Profile
    « Reply #60 on: July 01, 2019, 07:32:52 am »
    I bought it too. I love her recipes.

I also bought Instant Pot Fast and Easy by Urvashi Pitre (Two Sleevers) at Target over the weekend. It's a really nice cookbook.

And another keeper from Amy + Jacky HK Onion Chicken https://www.pressurecookrecipes.com/instant-pot-hk-onion-chicken/

I used boneless skinless chicken breasts. The whole family loved it.
    « Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 07:34:26 am by MichelleB675 »

Offline talleylynn

• Illinois
    • member 3486
      • View Profile
    « Reply #61 on: July 01, 2019, 08:31:13 pm »
    Thanks for posting, Andra. I went through the July kindle sale books this morning and totally missed this one. I recently bought an Instant Pot and am still getting a feel for it. I've been poking around on This Old Gal's blog and I'm really happy to get the cookbook. I've made her yogurt recipe twice and it is really good.

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
    • madhouse escapee #671
      • View Profile
    « Reply #62 on: July 02, 2019, 05:57:10 am »
    I did hard-boiled eggs in my mini IP last night.  I don't know if it was the cooking method or the fact that they were one-week-old eggs, but they sure peeled easily.  And it was definitely faster than putting them in a pot on the stove, boiling them, and then leaving them for a few hours until I remember that they are still in the pot...
    I also bought this cookbook:

It's not for the IP, but her website has a section for meals made in the smaller IP.
    Main website:  https://www.dessertfortwo.com/
    Dinner recipes:  https://www.dessertfortwo.com/category/dinners-for-two/

Offline Jane917

• Ridgefield, WA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #63 on: July 05, 2019, 08:33:43 am »
    I did hard-boiled eggs in my mini IP last night.  I don't know if it was the cooking method or the fact that they were one-week-old eggs, but they sure peeled easily.  And it was definitely faster than putting them in a pot on the stove, boiling them, and then leaving them for a few hours until I remember that they are still in the pot...

I have been making hard boiled (and soft boiled) eggs in the IP  for many years since I got my first IP. This process never fails me. It doesn't matter how fresh or old your eggs are, they come out perfect with the occasional cracked egg showing up.

Offline mlewis78

• New York, NY
    • Member #3406
      • View Profile
    « Reply #64 on: July 11, 2019, 11:41:30 pm »
    I haven't been on this thread in a while. Here is a link to the Mealthy Crisplid. Someone had posted about it on a facebook IP page, so I searched. I am not planning on buying but may change my mind one day.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07RZDFVQV/ref=nav_timeline_asin?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
    New York, NY
    Flutist, retired legal word processing operator
    Readers:  Oasis 2, Kindle Fire 8 HD Plus, Paperwhite 2 (2013) (gave away), Fire HDX 8.9" (won't hold a charge now), Fire HD6 (2014 pink), 2012 K4(black), K4(silver), KFHD 7", K3 that won't charge, Kindle DX (US), Sony PRS-350, B&N Nook STR and Bookeen Cybook Opus

Offline MichelleB675

• View Profile
    « Reply #65 on: July 12, 2019, 07:10:16 am »
    I was still debating on the CrispLid but then Instant Vortex happened and now I am considering that... at some point. I don't currently have room for it but if and when I do the rotisserie option is very tempting.

Offline Jane917

• Ridgefield, WA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #66 on: July 12, 2019, 07:41:39 am »
    I haven't been on this thread in a while. Here is a link to the Mealthy Crisplid. Someone had posted about it on a facebook IP page, so I searched. I am not planning on buying but may change my mind one day.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07RZDFVQV/ref=nav_timeline_asin?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I have heard from a reliable source that the Mealthy CrispLid will be available on Amazon during Prime Days. I am waiting to see what kind of deal they offer.

Offline MichelleB675

• View Profile
    « Reply #67 on: July 15, 2019, 05:19:07 am »
    CrispLid is available on Amazon now. Same price as Mealthy website, but with free shipping so you're saving $10. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RZDFVQV/

I did see the Instant Vortex at my Walmart on Saturday but didn't buy one, as tempted as I am, I don't have the counter space right now and I've been hearing about a lot of issues.

So I may still consider the CrispLid for now. Takes up less space

As for recipes..

I tried The Bearded Hiker's Creamy Salsa Chicken and it was very good. Though next time I would wait til after it's done to add the crema. https://www.thebeardedhiker.com/creamy-salsa-chicken/

and My Heart Beets' Indian Onion Masala. I made it to freeze for recipes that use it. https://myheartbeets.com/indian-onion-masala/

and TwoSleevers' Keto Indian Keema. It was awesome. I did add one cup of the onion masala for a little added sauciness. https://twosleevers.com/instant-pot-keto-indian-kheema/

I plan to make a corned beef very soon (which was the main reason I bought the IP to begin with and still haven't made it) and some pineapple chicken (amy + jacky) and sloppy joes (amy + jacky).

Today I'm making Soy Sauce Chicken (also amy + jacky) with some stir fried noodles (not IP). And have yogurt going in my 3qt.

and bought this cookbook for $.99

Edit to add that the Soy Sauce Chicken was awesome. I used boneless skinless thighs instead of a whole chicken because I didn't have a whole chicken and figured there would be enough flavor to cover up the fact that I was using thighs instead of breasts lol. Otherwise I followed the recipe exactly.. even the star anise which I hate but wanted to experience the flavor of the recipe as intended. Thankfully it blends in nicely. I could smell it but the flavor wasn't overpowering.

https://www.pressurecookrecipes.com/instant-pot-soy-sauce-chicken/
    « Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 04:58:52 pm by MichelleB675 »

Offline Jane917

• Ridgefield, WA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #68 on: July 15, 2019, 09:06:46 pm »
    CrispLid is available on Amazon now. Same price as Mealthy website, but with free shipping so you're saving $10. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RZDFVQV/

I ordered the CrispLid this morning and expect to see it on Thursday. I just went back to the Amazon Prime link to send it to a friend. The CrispLid is already sold and Amazon does not know when or if it will be back in stock.

Offline Nina Huffney

• USA
      • View Profile
      • Nina Huffney on Blogger
    « Reply #69 on: July 16, 2019, 09:28:55 am »
    Last night, I used my partner's instant pot for the first time, with his help. Pineapple Chicken - it was soooo good!
    • 4 chicken thighs (boneless/skinless)
    • half red onion
    • half yellow pepper
    • half can pineapple chunks
    • brown sugar
    • low-sodium soy sauce
    • rice vinegar
    • corn starch, red pepper flakes, garlic powder, ground ginger, black pepper, chicken boullion
    Served over Basmati rice from our rice cooker.

I got the idea from this recipe for oven-baked Pineapple Chicken Thighs.

It wasn't until after we'd finished the whole thing, and Partner admitted to being tempted to lick his plate, that I kicked myself for not taking a picture.

Offline MichelleB675

• View Profile
    « Reply #70 on: July 17, 2019, 04:50:00 am »
    I ordered the CrispLid this morning and expect to see it on Thursday. I just went back to the Amazon Prime link to send it to a friend. The CrispLid is already sold and Amazon does not know when or if it will be back in stock.

It's already back in stock.

Online crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #71 on: August 04, 2019, 02:08:34 pm »
    Anyone purchased and used a crisp lid yet?  I'm more interested in KB user thoughts than Amazon reviews.

Offline MichelleB675

• View Profile
    « Reply #72 on: August 04, 2019, 02:20:55 pm »
    I did. I've used it twice. Once on Totino's rolls. they were nice and crisp and held their heat for a while (I burned my chin biting into one and the filling squirted out) and on Red Robin steak fries. Also turned out great, and crispy. It was nice not heating up the whole kitchen but still having crispy fries.

I finally got around to trying twosleevers butter chicken. It was good. But I prefer the flavor of my usual recipe (stove). It was a lot more work and a ton more ingredients but the layers of flavor was outstanding. If I ever try butter chicken in the IP again, I'll probably try to convert that recipe.
    « Last Edit: August 04, 2019, 04:12:42 pm by MichelleB675 »

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #73 on: August 04, 2019, 02:54:32 pm »
    yeah, same here. I don't want to buy yet another separate gadget for the closet.

Offline Jane917

• Ridgefield, WA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #74 on: August 05, 2019, 08:08:55 am »
    I have used my CrispLid for chicken thighs and chicken wings. I cooked them in the IP, then added the CL on top. They were every bit as good (and easier) than transferring them to the oven for browning/crisping. Yesterday I used the CL to make fresh french fries. They were good, but not outstanding.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement