Author Topic: INSTANT POT... Post all here... RECIPES too!!  (Read 4771 times)  

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
Re: INSTANT POT... Post all here... RECIPES too!!
« Reply #75 on: August 05, 2019, 08:52:33 am »
The browing and crisping is something I'd be interested in a lot. Without having to turn the oven on, wait for heating, etc. So after cooking say some chicken with skin on in the IP, I'd like to crips the skin up a bit later. Things like that.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Jane917

• Ridgefield, WA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #76 on: August 06, 2019, 08:50:43 am »
    The browing and crisping is something I'd be interested in a lot. Without having to turn the oven on, wait for heating, etc. So after cooking say some chicken with skin on in the IP, I'd like to crips the skin up a bit later. Things like that.

Atunah, the CrispyLid is perfect for this. When the weather is cooler I plan to cook a whole chicken in the IP, then brown it.
    Words with Friends: Jane917

(Make your own reading bar)

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #77 on: August 06, 2019, 09:24:29 am »
    I did the whole chicken and it came out very moist tender and flavorful. But of course the skin was also moist and tender and I'd like to at least have some of the breast skin a wee bit more crunchy. Or edible as I won't eat soggy skin.

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • Member #1600 since January 15, 2009
      • View Profile
    « Reply #78 on: August 06, 2019, 11:57:11 am »
    I've been playing with and reading about the timer/delayed cook function on my IP.  The question I can't find an answer for (and so maybe not any way to do it), is whether there is a way to set an end time and have it turn it off rather than automatically going into "Keep Warm" mode if you aren't there to hit the cancel button.

Offline MichelleB675

• View Profile
    « Reply #79 on: August 06, 2019, 12:54:27 pm »
    You can turn that off by pressing Keep Warm when you start.

Offline anguabell

• View Profile
      • Goodreads
    « Reply #80 on: August 06, 2019, 01:14:51 pm »
    I did the whole chicken and it came out very moist tender and flavorful. But of course the skin was also moist and tender and I'd like to at least have some of the breast skin a wee bit more crunchy. Or edible as I won't eat soggy skin.

I just put it under the broiler for a few minutes. It works quite well, although it's not perfect crispiness.

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #81 on: August 06, 2019, 01:34:58 pm »
    You can turn that off by pressing Keep Warm when you start.

Really, THAT simple??   Thanks, Michelle.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #82 on: August 06, 2019, 03:08:21 pm »
    I just put it under the broiler for a few minutes. It works quite well, although it's not perfect crispiness.
    Yeah, that would work. But if I can help it, I'd like not to have to turn on the oven. We had a bit of a, um, disaster last time I used the broiler. I told him you couldn't broil frozen breads, they are too dry and will flame up. And sure enough, there were actual flames in my oven.  :o 8). I just don't want to heat up the kitchen if I can help it. We are entering the bowels of hell now in South Texas with temps going to 104. So anything to prevent heating up much of anything is good.

To be fair though, this oven is mighty better than what I used to cook on. In the apartment it was a coil wobbly mess made in 1985. The one I am using now is a young 12 year old. That is modern for my world.  ;D. Its door actually closes all the way. And it has some digital display *gasp.  But still. I just figured to use a air fryer lid on my IP would work quite well I think. And for other things to "fake" fry. I am in no hurry.

Really, THAT simple??   Thanks, Michelle.

That smiley, so perfect

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #83 on: August 06, 2019, 03:57:34 pm »
    I was looking at the Mealthy CrispLid on Amazon today and look what was in the "Similar Items" section - we can skin our IPs!  ;D

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #84 on: August 06, 2019, 05:00:51 pm »
    Oh for crying out loud

Offline Jane917

• Ridgefield, WA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #85 on: August 07, 2019, 08:16:21 am »

The CrispyLid should take care of crisping the skin as if you browned it in the oven. Technically, you can put on the CL and actually bake it like you are using the air fryer. However, I like the chicken cooked in the IP because it comes out so tender and moist. Therefore, I plan to cook it in the IP, the use the CL. Don't want to turn on the oven in this heat.

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #86 on: January 12, 2020, 12:36:10 pm »
    Pretty awesome IP cookbook on sale today in the Kindle edition.  Down to $4.99 from the normal Kindle price of $11.99 (still $19.99 for the print version). 

I've had this one on a watch list for a long time and almost bought it at full price more than once.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #87 on: January 20, 2020, 05:05:38 pm »
    I forgot to post that I made crebel's ribs recipe a couple of weeks ago and it was so so good. That was posted in this thread, right? I have it on my kindle of course.  ;D. I will be making that again when they have the ribs on sale again, which they do on a regular basis. It was tender, but still had structure, if that makes sense. There were barely any leftover, we almost ate the whole rack. 2 of us.  :o

Offline loonlover

• Arkansas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #88 on: January 21, 2020, 06:21:37 am »
    We made a cheesecake Sunday in the Instant Pot. It came out perfectly done using a recipe from this cookbook. I also used gingersnaps for the crust instead of graham crackers.

We ended up using the stand mixer for the filling as our blender wasn't strong enough. We didn't wait the 24 hours before we sampled it. It was good Sunday evening, but even better the day after. I've never been into making cheesecake, but this was pretty easy, and by being smaller than other recipes, maybe I won't feel quite as guilty about eating cheesecake.

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #89 on: January 21, 2020, 06:29:19 am »
    I have yet to prepare anything sweet in my IP, but have been eyeing several cheesecake recipes.  I think I need to order another inner seal first, curry cheesecake is probably not appealing.

Offline loonlover

• Arkansas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #90 on: January 21, 2020, 05:48:03 pm »
    You made me realize that I did not change the seal even though I had intended to. Didn't notice any off taste, but think I will try to remember to do that the next time. You do lay a paper towel across the spring form pan, then cover it with foil. II had bought me a spring form pan to fit the Instant Pot for Christmas. He was determined we were making a cheesecake.

Offline Nicholas Andrews

• Dayton, OH
    • authornicholasandrews.com
      • View Profile
      • My Website
    « Reply #91 on: January 22, 2020, 06:06:32 am »
    Every time I see Instant Pot in the store, I always think of Otto from the Simpsons walking out of Stoner's Pot Palace saying, "Man, that is BLATANT false advertising!"

The Whims of War (The Law of Eight - Book 4): 6%

Nicholas Andrews | Website | Facebook | Twitter

Offline Jane917

• Ridgefield, WA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #92 on: January 29, 2020, 08:49:11 am »
    I have yet to prepare anything sweet in my IP, but have been eyeing several cheesecake recipes.  I think I need to order another inner seal first, curry cheesecake is probably not appealing.
    We made a cheesecake Sunday in the Instant Pot. It came out perfectly done using a recipe from this cookbook. I also used gingersnaps for the crust instead of graham crackers.

We ended up using the stand mixer for the filling as our blender wasn't strong enough. We didn't wait the 24 hours before we sampled it. It was good Sunday evening, but even better the day after. I've never been into making cheesecake, but this was pretty easy, and by being smaller than other recipes, maybe I won't feel quite as guilty about eating cheesecake.

We often make cheese cake in the IP. Just made one a few days ago. I tell people that cheesecake is the best reason to buy an IP. I also was out of graham crackers and used some gingersnaps. Came out fine. I use my food processor to mix the ingredients. I don't use my food processor often, but this time I noticed the pulse feature was not working. Uh oh! Do I need a new food processor? This one is about 30 years old. I have a Kitchenaid mixer, and Vitamix blender, but sometimes you just need a food processor. Uh oh.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #93 on: January 29, 2020, 11:14:59 am »
    As someone that doesn't really bake, how do you get a cake out of the instantpot? You make it in a springform on top of the rack? What is cheesecake made out of. The filling part that is. I'd have to figure out a substitute for the flour base on bottom to make it low carb. I mean cheese in itself is mighty fine on keto, but I dont' know what else is in there. I guess I could look for a low carb instant pot cheese cake recipe.  ;D

Offline loonlover

• Arkansas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #94 on: January 29, 2020, 04:32:08 pm »
    The filling we used is mainly cream cheese, sugar, heavy cream, eggs, and small amounts of a few other items such as flour (2tsp), and flavorings. And I'm pretty sure I have eaten cheesecake somewhere that didn't have a crust so surely there is a low carb recipe out there.

I used one of the silicone slings under the spring form pan which made it easy to get out of the Instant Pot.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #95 on: September 24, 2020, 02:58:55 pm »
    I wasn't sure which of the instant pot threads to use. Search brings up a few, this is the newest.

I currently have a butt in my IP. A porkish kind.  ;D. Anywho, making Hawaiian pulled pork and I was going to ask you IP experts here about some of the noises my IP makes. Clicking sounds. So the pin goes up, and stays up, so that's not the problem. It starts counting down and for a couple of minutes after pin goes up there are click click, mechanical clicks coming out of it. Like from the lid I assume. I get a couple again after some 10 minutes of cooking. Again, pin always up sturdy. I just cleaned that thing down the the nuts and bolts too. It cooks fine and its been doing that for as long as I can remember every time I use it. I just want to make sure this is normal and I am not living on borrowed time with an exploding lid all over my kitchen.  :-X

I think its quite quiet now, I hope.  :o. I can smell the pork already though.  :P

I was starting another thread about getting a air fryer and I know there are some lids that go on the instant pot and I am still waffling. I can't find a good listing of that mealthy lid, other brands including the instant pot. But they are all as much as a full air fryer unit. And I don't see them coming with anything so how the heck do you use them when the food sits that far down and not in a basket, which is kind of the thing about air frying.

I do need to get a new seal. I am still working with the one that came with my instant pot. I had to look up when I bought it. July 2016. Probably prime day and I remember distinctly crebel egging me on to get it  ;D. I think 4 years is probably getting up in age. Although I check it all the time and don't notice any cracks. Just discoloration from the yummy foods.  ;D

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #96 on: September 24, 2020, 04:10:22 pm »
    Who me?  Enable you?? Surely not.  :P :-*

I have not noticed my IP making any clicking sounds, but I doubt that what you are hearing means your IP is getting ready to blow up or anything.  Even though your pin is staying fully up, it could be the bottom of it moving as pressure continues to build or release.  As long as it's still cooking the way you expect it to, I would not worry.  Or use it as a perfectly good excuse to buy a new one ...

I still haven't purchased new inner seals either, but I really should.  I clean it well every now and then, but I'm pretty sure it is permanently colored curry yellow and likely infused with that flavor as well.  It has kept me from trying LL's IP cheesecake recipe since, as I said a few posts back, I don't think any curry imparted to sweet cheesecake sounds like a good thing.  ::)

Offline loonlover

• Arkansas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #97 on: September 24, 2020, 06:36:44 pm »
    Mine clicks like that. I just assumed it was part of the device with pressure maybe fluctuating slightly. That's how I know it is still doing it's thing since I frequently have it sitting around the corner from the kitchen in the pantry.

I've changed the ring a couple of times - once due to misreading the amount of garlic powder to add to a recipe. I didn't see any way to get that odor out of the ring. The second time was too strong a barbecue smell after cooking ribs. Don't know why it was so much stronger that time, but I decided I didn't like the smell it left lingering in the cabinet so ordered another ring.

Offline Jane917

• Ridgefield, WA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #98 on: September 25, 2020, 08:00:03 am »
    I wasn't sure which of the instant pot threads to use. Search brings up a few, this is the newest.

I currently have a butt in my IP. A porkish kind.  ;D. Anywho, making Hawaiian pulled pork and I was going to ask you IP experts here about some of the noises my IP makes. Clicking sounds. So the pin goes up, and stays up, so that's not the problem. It starts counting down and for a couple of minutes after pin goes up there are click click, mechanical clicks coming out of it. Like from the lid I assume. I get a couple again after some 10 minutes of cooking. Again, pin always up sturdy. I just cleaned that thing down the the nuts and bolts too. It cooks fine and its been doing that for as long as I can remember every time I use it. I just want to make sure this is normal and I am not living on borrowed time with an exploding lid all over my kitchen.  :-X

I think its quite quiet now, I hope.  :o. I can smell the pork already though.  :P

I was starting another thread about getting a air fryer and I know there are some lids that go on the instant pot and I am still waffling. I can't find a good listing of that mealthy lid, other brands including the instant pot. But they are all as much as a full air fryer unit. And I don't see them coming with anything so how the heck do you use them when the food sits that far down and not in a basket, which is kind of the thing about air frying.

I do need to get a new seal. I am still working with the one that came with my instant pot. I had to look up when I bought it. July 2016. Probably prime day and I remember distinctly crebel egging me on to get it  ;D. I think 4 years is probably getting up in age. Although I check it all the time and don't notice any cracks. Just discoloration from the yummy foods.  ;D

I have not heard any of the clicking you are hearing, but I don't think you need to fear an explosion. In my experience, when an IP dies, it goes all of a sudden, and quietly. As far as the Mealthy lid, it comes with a rack that the basket fits on and gets it quite close to the heating element. My brother has the IP equivalent and it works the same way. Still, I use my air fryer most often.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #99 on: September 25, 2020, 12:52:55 pm »
    I have not heard any of the clicking you are hearing, but I don't think you need to fear an explosion. In my experience, when an IP dies, it goes all of a sudden, and quietly. As far as the Mealthy lid, it comes with a rack that the basket fits on and gets it quite close to the heating element. My brother has the IP equivalent and it works the same way. Still, I use my air fryer most often.
    It goes quietly into the night when it goes?  ;D

I'll have to check again on the listing I found for the mealthy lid. Unfortunately its not a prime listing and seems kind of high. One I can find. And I see no mention of any rack or basket to come with it. I think I read some reviews on the IP version of the lid that it does not come with anything. By the time I'd have to buy the lid and the accessories, its over $100.

So the pork came out great, of course it always does in the IP. I made soup the other day, some carrot ginger soup I found a recipe online for. I need to make soup more often with it. I have a stick blender which makes it easy to blend it all up right in the pot.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement