Author Topic: New Paperwhite release date November 7th  (Read 6510 times)  

Offline nikkidog

• Ohio
  • Happy Voyage, Oasis2 & Paperwhite owner
    • View Profile
Re: New Paperwhite release date November 7th
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2018, 05:30:54 am »
The 5 monthly payments were there yesterday because I used that option.  Dont know if it was a mistake and they removed it or only available yesterday.  Its gone now.  I read the description for the 6 month kindle unlimited and it sounds like it applies to everyone, unless I misunderstood something.  If you click on the blue box for learn more, it brings up all the details.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
    • Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
    • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey.
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #26 on: October 17, 2018, 05:37:36 am »
    I had the same thought -- if I'm in the actual shower more than 5 minutes it's unusual . . . . . ;D

I don't recall that even being an option in the US -- nope, not seeing it and if it was an option when I did the order yesterday I don't remember it. There's a button to do an 'upgrade and save with trade in' -- so I guess it kind of puts that process in one step. And it lists 6 months of KU as available for free, but you don't HAVE to get it if you don't want. No idea what happens if you're already a subscriber.

Pretty sure I saw the option for payments over time when the link was first posted here--was surprised to see it.  But it still didn't tempt me.  I've got an Oasis and a Voyage as a backup.

Betsy
    Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
    Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX    KB Member #72
    Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Offline KimberlyinMN

• NW Minnesota
    • Kindle Voyage Wi-Fi
      • View Profile
    New Paperwhite release date November 7th
    « Reply #27 on: October 17, 2018, 05:40:54 am »
    I'm in the U.S. and had that 5 payment option. I think it depends on what you are using to browse the page. For example, I'm not sure if I saw it on my iPhone but the payment option did show on my laptop. They say you can only use the payment option for 1 device, so maybe if you currently have used it for a purchase, it won't display.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 05:44:35 am by KimberlyinMN »

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
    • Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #28 on: October 17, 2018, 05:43:36 am »
    I'm in the U.S. and had that 5 payment option. I think it depends on what you are using to browse the page. For example, I'm not sure if I saw it on my iPhone but the payment option did show on my laptop. They say you can only use the payment option for 1 device, so maybe if you currently have used it for a purchase, it won't display.

I saw it on my iPad, as that's pretty much all I use. :D

Offline nikkidog

• Ohio
      • View Profile
    « Reply #29 on: October 17, 2018, 05:45:13 am »
    I was using my IPad.  Dont know if that is different than the phone.

Offline KimberlyinMN

• NW Minnesota
    • Kindle Voyage Wi-Fi
      • View Profile
    « Reply #30 on: October 17, 2018, 05:46:06 am »
    On my iPhone:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline KimberlyinMN

• NW Minnesota
    • Kindle Voyage Wi-Fi
      • View Profile
    « Reply #31 on: October 17, 2018, 05:47:37 am »
    I saw this too! That makes the purchase as even better deal!!!!

I read the description for the 6 month kindle unlimited and it sounds like it applies to everyone, unless I misunderstood something.  If you click on the blue box for learn more, it brings up all the details.

Offline KimberlyinMN

• NW Minnesota
    • Kindle Voyage Wi-Fi
      • View Profile
    « Reply #32 on: October 17, 2018, 05:50:50 am »
    The info box says that your payments are put on hold for the 6 month duration. Odd that they aren't just tacking onto the end of the subscription, but whatever. :) Free is free. Save $60 is nice. :)

I had the same thought -- if I'm in the actual shower more than 5 minutes it's unusual . . . . . ;D

I don't recall that even being an option in the US -- nope, not seeing it and if it was an option when I did the order yesterday I don't remember it. There's a button to do an 'upgrade and save with trade in' -- so I guess it kind of puts that process in one step. And it lists 6 months of KU as available for free, but you don't HAVE to get it if you don't want. No idea what happens if you're already a subscriber.

Offline seadogg31

• Virginia
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33 on: October 17, 2018, 06:17:30 am »
    Any idea how many books the 8 gb paper white can hold in memory?

Offline nikkidog

• Ohio
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34 on: October 17, 2018, 06:18:20 am »
    I believe that was for the monthly subscribers.  For the prepaid plans it starts as soon as the prepaid plan ends.  It did say they would suspend the automatic renewal during the six months.

• Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #35 on: October 17, 2018, 06:42:37 am »
    Any idea how many books the 8 gb paper white can hold in memory?

According to this Quora response, a 3GB Kindle could hold 6000 books....

https://www.quora.com/How-many-books-can-I-download-onto-my-Kindle

Betsy

Offline Wisteria Clematis

• Pacific Northwest
      • View Profile
    « Reply #36 on: October 17, 2018, 10:56:33 am »
    According to this Quora response, a 3GB Kindle could hold 6000 books....

https://www.quora.com/How-many-books-can-I-download-onto-my-Kindle

Betsy
    Yes, I'm not sure I believe that. My 32GB oasis only has about 100 books actually downloaded on it and it still takes forever sorting anything into a collection. I do have a large number of collections in the cloud, but only about 8 collections that are currently on the oasis. I haven't noticed any improvement in speed at all from my older kindles that have much less memory so am not sure it was worth it to get the 32GB.

Offline John Hopper

• View Profile
    « Reply #37 on: October 17, 2018, 11:05:07 am »
    I decided to go ahead and order - choosing the monthly payment option. It showed that I had chosen that on the checkout page, but my order confirmation doesn't mention it and when I view the order details online, it doesn't mention it. I've also noticed that the option is no longer available on the product page.  ???

Not really a problem if they decide to charge me the full price on dispatch, but I'm curious as to what's going on. Maybe the option was offered in error? Has anyone else in the UK ordered with that option? Can you see it being offered now?
    I just checked on amazon.co.uk and the monthly payment option is still there. I didn't use it though when I placed my order.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

• Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #38 on: October 17, 2018, 11:43:42 am »
    Yes, I'm not sure I believe that. My 32GB oasis only has about 100 books actually downloaded on it and it still takes forever sorting anything into a collection. I do have a large number of collections in the cloud, but only about 8 collections that are currently on the oasis. I haven't noticed any improvement in speed at all from my older kindles that have much less memory so am not sure it was worth it to get the 32GB.

Yeah, there's a difference between how many it CAN hold and how many should be on it.  :D. I believe 1000s will fit on the device.  Not sure how well it will work.  My K1 was the only one that I put a huge number of books on, and it definitely got slower the more books were on it.

The whole collections thingy was imposed on top of the Kindle--not sure it's part of a ground-up software update.  I wouldn't say it takes forever to put something in a collection, but there is a bit of a pause with the 117 books currently on my device with nine collections.

Betsy

Offline Eltanin Publishing

• Charlotte, VT
    • Cathy Ryan - Editor-in-Chief
      • View Profile
      • Eltanin Publishing
    « Reply #39 on: October 17, 2018, 01:52:23 pm »
    On my iPhone:

I clicked this button and it looks like they're still doing the trade in for value +25% off this NEW paperwhite! I might have to trade in one of my old K3's...

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
    • Not really a moderator. :)
      • View Profile
    « Reply #40 on: October 17, 2018, 02:02:01 pm »

The whole collections thingy was imposed on top of the Kindle--not sure it's part of a ground-up software update.  I wouldn't say it takes forever to put something in a collection, but there is a bit of a pause with the 117 books currently on my device with nine collections.

Betsy

This is my experience as well . . . . intuitively, a faster processor and/or more memory should make it work better, but I am not at all sure it will. And it doesn't even seem to matter if there are no collections on the device.
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline rallykid

• View Profile
    « Reply #41 on: October 17, 2018, 07:41:11 pm »
    I thought about upgrading for the waterproofing but I got a paper white less than a year ago. The extra space would be nice as it is almost full but until I have a real reason to upgrade then I am happy with what I have. My kindle keyboard lasted from launch day until I bought my paper white a few months back. It still works fine but I wanted something with a backlight. By the time the 9th gen paper white launches I should be ready for an upgrade if my previous experience is anything to go on haha

Offline rallykid

• View Profile
    « Reply #42 on: October 17, 2018, 07:54:23 pm »
    Yeah, there's a difference between how many it CAN hold and how many should be on it.  :D. I believe 1000s will fit on the device.  Not sure how well it will work.  My K1 was the only one that I put a huge number of books on, and it definitely got slower the more books were on it.

Betsy

I have 397 MB free with 7 collections and 1935 books on my Paperwhite 3. It still runs fine and is surprisingly quick for being so full.

Offline tsemple

• View Profile
    « Reply #43 on: October 18, 2018, 12:10:03 am »
    It is the size of the collection that affects performance, not the number of books on-device. Adding to a collection with 4 items is instantaneous on my Voyage, adding or removing to a collection with 400 items takes about 8 seconds, but adding or removing to a collection with 1000 items takes about 16 seconds. Sort of looks like approximately linear (time proportional to number of items), which I think is not theoretically optimal even if we assume Kindle has unusually stringent constraints on system resources, but it could be worse.

On my phone adding and removing is instantaneous whatever the collection size.

My guess is that it is feasible to significantly improve collection performance, but Amazon chooses to spend development resources elsewhere. I would also guess that most Kindle users never even use collections, and the share of those with large collections is minuscule (either because it takes too much effort to create them, or because they do not scale up well, or do not meet user requirements).

I would welcome some form of auto collections: assume any book still at start position is Unread, any book where I get to Before You Go is Finished, and anything in between is Started (but allow manual override of reading status, including to None). Treat book series like magazine subscriptions, i.e. if you have more than one of the books downloaded, they appear in a Series folder when sorting by Recent or Title, and if you have more than one book by a given author they appear in an Author folder when sorting by Author (possibly with sub folders for Series). Or something like that.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 12:15:06 am by tsemple »

Offline Snikt5

• View Profile
    « Reply #44 on: October 18, 2018, 08:02:01 am »
    Pre-ordered, I find myself listening to audiobooks just as much as reading these days (due to the nature of my commute and dog walking). One thing that bothers me (and forgive me if this has been asked and answered) but I can download a book to read and then add audio for a small price which will allow me to switch between the two, a lot of KU books already come with both, but is there an option on the audible monthly subscription which will allow you to read the book as well?

Even if you buy the book, audible does not recognise this? Is that correct?

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #45 on: October 18, 2018, 08:36:33 am »
    I agree about it taking longer with larger collections. I split my "read" as I reached 900 an it did take a while. Once this one gets to 500 I think I'll start another one. We'll see. Once they are done I name them by year and usually don't have to go in it anymore. I have a few other collections by genre that are really big. It doesn't take more than a couple of seconds though on the Oasis. Basic takes a wee bit longer.

This is not a kindle for me. But its great that they updated the paperwhite, especially making it flush. I won't buy a kindle without buttons anymore. And hopefull they'll always have one with, or I will be lost. Now that they got rid if the Voyage, only one is left and it makes me really nervous. What if they fade that one out too.  :o. I cannot deal with no buttons.

But at least I still get to experience the new update that all of the kindles got. So I still have some exitement around this release.  ;D

Offline Paperbackstash

• View Profile
    « Reply #46 on: October 18, 2018, 09:17:19 am »
    I've already pre-ordered. It didn't have everything I wanted (I was curious on the colorlight temps), and I do wish they had two screen options for those who wanted a bigger size, but overall I'm thrilled since Waterproofing was my #1 want for an upgraded Paperwhite. The Bluetooth is a nice bonus but not something I'll use much, if at all. I like the shape of the existing Paperwhite but wanted more flush bazels like the Voyage since little bits of stuff keeps getting into the sides of the Paperwhite and irking me.
    Kindles:
    Inis Odyssey - PW4
    Moonsliver - PW3
    Nostromo - Fire HD 2nd Gen

Offline Linjeakel

• United Kingdom
    • Erm .....
      • View Profile
    « Reply #47 on: October 18, 2018, 12:40:15 pm »
    Most of the stuff I wanted was in the software upgrade and apparently that's available today for the other Kindles, so I'm going to update my Voyage. (I might upgrade my backup one with the pinhole on the screen, just in case I don't like it!)

If the upgrade is as good as it sounds, I may be cancelling my PW4 order.  :o
    Linda

Offline gaidinsgirl

• View Profile
    « Reply #48 on: October 19, 2018, 03:44:14 am »
    Will this one have voice view/text to speech? I cant find it anywhere. I really want the oasis for the buttons but I think Im going to get this one instead. Its definitely in my budget better. (Coming from a voyage)

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
    • Not really a moderator. :)
      • View Profile
    « Reply #49 on: October 19, 2018, 04:56:19 am »
    Pre-ordered, I find myself listening to audiobooks just as much as reading these days (due to the nature of my commute and dog walking). One thing that bothers me (and forgive me if this has been asked and answered) but I can download a book to read and then add audio for a small price which will allow me to switch between the two, a lot of KU books already come with both, but is there an option on the audible monthly subscription which will allow you to read the book as well?

Even if you buy the book, audible does not recognise this? Is that correct?

Maybe someone can answer your question you more fully; I can't as I don't do audiobooks. But I do know that often, when I buy a book, I'm immediately given the option to buy the Audible version as well. And yes, they are supposed to sync up the same way kindle books on two different devices will. But I'm not sure what you're asking about KU?
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

KBoards.com

• Advertisement