Author Topic: New Paperwhite release date November 7th  (Read 6508 times)  

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Not really a moderator. :)
    • View Profile
Re: New Paperwhite release date November 7th
« Reply #50 on: October 19, 2018, 04:57:09 am »
Will this one have voice view/text to speech? I cant find it anywhere. I really want the oasis for the buttons but I think Im going to get this one instead. Its definitely in my budget better. (Coming from a voyage)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure about Voice View, but prettty certain there's no text to speech. Instead, you're meant to purchase the Audible version, I think.
My Kindles
Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
My Tardis (PW 10)

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #51 on: October 19, 2018, 06:15:29 am »
    You can switch between the audiobook and the ebook. It will have a little icon in the right corner to switch. If you own both. You can not do both at the same time, so its either or. But it will pick up where you left off each time. Its the same on my Oasis2. It will get that software. You have to connect a speaker or headphones via blu tooth.

It also has the VoiceView and the inverted text only the Oasis2 had so far.

VoiceView screen reader, available over Bluetooth audio, provides spoken feedback allowing you to navigate your device and read books with text-to-speech (available in English only). Kindle Paperwhite also includes the ability to invert Black and White, adjust font size, font face, line spacing and margins.

Offline gaidinsgirl

• View Profile
    « Reply #52 on: October 19, 2018, 06:55:02 am »
    Not sure about Voice View, but prettty certain there's no text to speech. Instead, you're meant to purchase the Audible version, I think.

The basic Kindle can do text to speech via voice view. If its the same it will work. I asked customer service but their response was yes, this device has a voice. lol

Offline gaidinsgirl

• View Profile
    « Reply #53 on: October 19, 2018, 06:56:31 am »
    You can switch between the audiobook and the ebook. It will have a little icon in the right corner to switch. If you own both. You can not do both at the same time, so its either or. But it will pick up where you left off each time. Its the same on my Oasis2. It will get that software. You have to connect a speaker or headphones via blu tooth.

It also has the VoiceView and the inverted text only the Oasis2 had so far.

Thank you. I missed the quote about voice view in the description. Thats exactly what I needed to know!

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #54 on: October 19, 2018, 08:05:40 am »
    Yes, Voice view does have the text to speak without having to have the audio book. But to use it, you have to also use it on the menu stuff. Its meant for vision impaired so for those of us able, its a bit clunky to get around. I guess once you have it set up you just go.

Offline Brownskins

• Dallas, Texas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #55 on: October 19, 2018, 09:21:46 am »
    Yes, Voice view does have the text to speak without having to have the audio book.

While i do have BT earphones, I only use them for music, so I haven't tried the new voice view.  Is it better than the old TTS (as it relates to the computerized male/female narrator)?
    Train rides + Kindle reads = Win!

A few of my thoughts and reviews are posted here:  https://simplyctrocks.blogspot.com/

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #56 on: October 19, 2018, 09:52:37 am »
    I haven't compared them side by side with my kindle keyboard, but it seems to sound better. I guess they perfected it more in the years. I only tried it once on the Oasis2 to see. For some reason anytime I need one of my blu tooth devices, they are always dead and need to be charged. I have a speaker and over ear head phones.

Offline gaidinsgirl

• View Profile
    « Reply #57 on: October 19, 2018, 10:12:24 am »
    While i do have BT earphones, I only use them for music, so I haven't tried the new voice view.  Is it better than the old TTS (as it relates to the computerized male/female narrator)?

Its better than it used to be. I enjoy it well enough when I use it. I dont mind the clunkiness because the text to speech is valuable to me.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #58 on: October 19, 2018, 10:34:49 am »
    I just tried it again on my basic. Once I figured it all out it worked fine. I connected to my Echo. Everything you tap on, say home, it says what you just tapped, but it doesn't go there until you double tap. So it will say menu, selected menu, and if you say click on settings then, it will say, settings, double tap to select. Then it goes there.

The female voice does sound quite good. For TTS. I think its much better than the K3 comparing them. I prefer male voices, but i am used to Alexa so I guess they all use female voices. Not sure if that can be changed. She sounds fine though. I let her read a page of a historical mystery I am reading right now and it worked quite well. I am actually often turned off by audiobooks when there is too much "acting". I don't read like that in my head so I don't like it told to me like that either.

Offline tsemple

• View Profile
    « Reply #59 on: October 19, 2018, 01:27:59 pm »

It is definitely better than the TTS earlier Kindles had, but there is only one voice (female American English, more or less the same as Alexa). I would like it if other voices could be installed as you can on Fire tablet, especially on this
    since it has ample storage.

Offline Brownskins

• Dallas, Texas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #60 on: October 19, 2018, 09:40:11 pm »
    I was able to pair (only with jabra since it doesnt pair with powerbeats) but now it looks like the only option is to read a word at a time.  how does it read a page?

A few of my thoughts and reviews are posted here:  https://simplyctrocks.blogspot.com/

Offline gaidinsgirl

• View Profile
    « Reply #61 on: October 20, 2018, 04:22:31 am »
    I was able to pair (only with jabra since it doesnt pair with powerbeats) but now it looks like the only option is to read a word at a time.  how does it read a page?
    Once you have voice view on and the book open, you swipe diagonally down the whole page and it will begin reading it.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #62 on: October 20, 2018, 07:55:32 am »
    Mine just starts reading the moment I open the book with the double tap. I didn't have to swipe.

I guess its different when you turn it on when you are already in the book? I haven't tested that. I turned it on from home page and then opened it.

Offline clawdia

• VA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #63 on: October 20, 2018, 10:20:35 am »
    I guess I'll just hope my Voyage lasts another year - it's a refurb Amazon 'gave' me when my original Voyage went wonky after 11 months.  Since the battery life isn't great on the Voyage, I stayed away from the Oasis 2 as it is said to have even worse battery life.  I read a lot, so I'm already charging my Voyage every day or two.  I really wanted the size of the Oasis 2, and I wanted page turn buttons.  I had really been hoping for a Kindle I was just dying to have while waiting for the announcement of this year's offering -  I'll be wasting my hopes on something else now.

Irazoo referral link
    http://www.irazoo.com/ReferedNewUser.aspx?Refby=clawdia

Offline Linjeakel

• United Kingdom
    • Erm .....
      • View Profile
    « Reply #64 on: October 20, 2018, 11:00:52 am »
    I'm still undecided as to whether I even need a PW4 but in the meantime I'm changing my order.

I had originally automatically gone for the 4G model - I've always had these (well they were 3G) in the past as I spent a lot of time either at, or travelling to and from, work where I had no wi-fi access. But it occurs to me that now I'm retired I could manage with the wi-fi only - I can always use my phone as a hotspot in an 'emergency'.

Added to that is the fact that if you choose 4G, you HAVE to have the 32Gb model and you HAVE to have it without special offers. So you not only have to pay 60 quid extra for the 4G, you also have to pay 30 quid for the extra storage whether you want it or not and 10 quid to remove the SOs, whether you want to or not. That makes it a cool 100 quid more expensive - almost double the price for the "free" 4G.

They're no longer offering the 'pay over 5 months' option, but that's not a deal breaker considering the money I will save. I also think I'm more likely to keep this new Kindle if I'm paying a lot less for it.  :D

Also, as much as I love the official Amazon Kindle covers, and these are the bookstyle ones which I prefer, I'm going to hold out for a cheaper one, a Fintie maybe, which probably won't be long in coming out.
    « Last Edit: October 20, 2018, 11:04:07 am by Linjeakel »
    Linda

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #65 on: October 20, 2018, 11:39:16 am »
    Same is true in US -- at this time, if you want 4G, you have to get the larger amount of storage and no special offers. It is a significant extra amount and if you have ready access to Wifi, and/or a phone that can generate a a hotspot, it doesn't seem to make much sense to spend that extra money.

I'm also figuring on seeing what Fintie offers. Almost certainly will be less expensive than any of the Amazon models. They usually have more choices in color and design, too. :)
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline CS

• Parts Unknown
    • Five-Star Ranking Agent 337
      • View Profile
    « Reply #66 on: October 20, 2018, 12:02:54 pm »
    I have a Fintie for my current Paperwhite (PW2) and I love it.

This is what it looks like:

Much nicer and richer color than any of the official Amazon offerings IMO.

I had really been hoping for a Kindle I was just dying to have while waiting for the announcement of this year's offering -  I'll be wasting my hopes on something else now.

I know what you mean. I feel kind of lukewarm about this one too, and with my old PW2 still getting updates after five years, I'm tempted to wait another year too. With that said, the battery life on my PW2 isn't quite as strong as it used to be and there are other (very) minor issues, so I'm wondering if I should be ahead of the curve for once and get a new device before the old one completely breaks down?
    « Last Edit: October 20, 2018, 12:12:59 pm by CS »

Offline gaidinsgirl

• View Profile
    « Reply #67 on: October 20, 2018, 05:13:38 pm »
    Mine just starts reading the moment I open the book with the double tap. I didn't have to swipe.

I guess its different when you turn it on when you are already in the book? I haven't tested that. I turned it on from home page and then opened it.
    Interesting. Im using my husbands basic Kindle and it never starts until I swipe and then to stop it I just touch the page anywhere.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline hamerfan

• Turtleback
      • View Profile
    « Reply #68 on: October 21, 2018, 06:07:27 am »
    I'm in!  :D

I'm rescinding my previous comment and sticking with my PW7. No home or page turn buttons are the deal killer for me.
    Carpe Manana

Offline crisandria

• CT
      • View Profile
    « Reply #69 on: October 21, 2018, 04:42:16 pm »
    Was really hoping for the "comfort night lighting" for this model, (or what ever they decide to call it).  But I like the waterproof and smaller form factor than Oasis 2.  I'm going to be away when it ships so needed to debate if I just waited till I got home on the 16th, or have it shipped to my mothers where I'll be.  Decided I will just have to deal with mom knowing I got a new kindle and have it shipped there as it will be more portable than the Oasis 2 when I'm out and about for most of my trip there.   

Plus I don't think I'd be able to stand knowing it was sitting at my house and I can't even get to it for a week and a half.  lol

crisandria

Offline Brownskins

• Dallas, Texas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #70 on: October 22, 2018, 07:47:11 am »

Once you have voice view on and the book open, you swipe diagonally down the whole page and it will begin reading it.

Thank you both for the input.  It works now.  Actually, depending on its response, I end up either doing the diagonal swipe or nothing is needed at all since it just starts reading.  Can't explain the difference.  Also, found out that Powerbeats 3 is NOT compatible with the Kindle, but the generic bluetooth earphones work.  So strange. 

My conclusion - Voiceview is just marginally better than TTS, so it isn't a heavy factor for me as far as features are concerned.  In fact, because of the variables surrounding the BT connection working properly, I think I prefer using the corded earphones (with my old Keyboard or Touch) if ever I choose to use the computerized narration.  Anyway, I hardly use TTS/VV.  I just got curious about it since there was some discussion on this feature so I had to check it out for myself.  HAve a good day my friends.

Offline tsemple

• View Profile
    « Reply #71 on: October 22, 2018, 07:53:45 pm »

It will help to go through the VoiceView tutorial a couple of times, or if you have not used it for awhile. I think you need to swipe down with two fingers held together to resume continuous reading, else it will just read what you touch.

Offline Linjeakel

• United Kingdom
    • Erm .....
      • View Profile
    « Reply #72 on: October 23, 2018, 03:18:24 am »
    The days seems to be gone when, if you didn't pre-order a new Kindle model within an hour of it being available, you'd end up having to wait days or even weeks longer than everyone else to get it - so once ordered, you didn't make any changes in case you slipped down the list.

I've cancelled /changed my order twice and just put in a fresh order today - and I'm still going to get it on release day. I suppose it's a good thing, but I kinda miss the excitement of the old days. I remember the uproar on KB when some people got their K3 (Kindle Keyboard) before others who had ordered it earlier, simply because of their location.

Those were the days when a new Kindle was a real event and Amazon pretty much only sold one model at any one time (not counting the larger DXs). It's great that e-readers are now more mainstream devices and we have a lot more choice - but, as I said, it does somehow make it less special, less exciting.

LOL it's odd to be talking about e-readers as part of 'the good old days'.  :D
    Linda

Offline nikkidog

• Ohio
    • Happy Voyage, Oasis2 & Paperwhite owner
      • View Profile
    « Reply #73 on: October 23, 2018, 04:39:52 am »
    I think the excitement is not there because there is nothing to be excited by (IMO). If you have an older Paperwhite or the basic, this is a great update.  If you already have the Voyage or the Oasis (or both), there is nothing new.  Sorry the new Paperwhite is waterproof and the Voyage is not.  The fact it has 5 lights sort of bothers me.  The Voyage has 10 and the Oasis has 12, if I remember right.  I wish Amazon had updated the Voyage.  That being said, I did order the Paperwhite.  Its a new Kindle after all.

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #74 on: October 23, 2018, 04:47:43 am »
    The days seems to be gone when, if you didn't pre-order a new Kindle model within an hour of it being available, you'd end up having to wait days or even weeks longer than everyone else to get it - so once ordered, you didn't make any changes in case you slipped down the list.

I've cancelled /changed my order twice and just put in a fresh order today - and I'm still going to get it on release day. I suppose it's a good thing, but I kinda miss the excitement of the old days. I remember the uproar on KB when some people got their K3 (Kindle Keyboard) before others who had ordered it earlier, simply because of their location.

Those were the days when a new Kindle was a real event and Amazon pretty much only sold one model at any one time (not counting the larger DXs). It's great that e-readers are now more mainstream devices and we have a lot more choice - but, as I said, it does somehow make it less special, less exciting.

LOL it's odd to be talking about e-readers as part of 'the good old days'.  :D

There's something to this, I think. Also, the first kindle was BEFORE tablets took off in any way. So it was definitely "something completely different". Nowadays, a lot of people, I think, feel like -- well, I can only afford one, so I'll get a tablet as it can do more and reading books is one of the things. They're not 'super-readers' for whom the eInk is a huge factor.

And there does come a point where there's only so much improvement they can do. At this point, with both eReaders and tablets, it's about adding little things that probably don't really matter to some people, so there's overall less excitement.

I'm also not sure they're about getting NEW kindle users at this point; I'm sure they'd be happy with that, but I think they're more about getting current users -- especially those still using a 2nd or 3rd generation device -- to upgrade to a current model. It's not even like tablets where new apps/software won't run on older devices so you kinda HAVE to get a new one to keep at status quo. Kindles, though, seem to keep going forever, so unless you're one of us who likes to have multiple devices ... let's just say I know a LOT of people who first got a kindle before 2010, and are still using that one because it works.
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

KBoards.com

• Advertisement