Author Topic: Anybody selling paperbacks after the big move to KDP?  (Read 1214 times)  

Offline Marti talbott

• Marti Talbott
    • View Profile
    • Marti Talbott's Books
Anybody selling paperbacks after the big move to KDP?
« on: October 29, 2018, 02:13:51 pm »
Normally I sell around twenty a month and was heading that way when they moved my books from Createspace. Only one since. I hope this is not a trend I can expect in the future. It's odd because customers can still order from the same page, right as before the move? The books were just printed by Createspace and shipped from them. Maybe a backlog, the reports are off, or they just don't like me anymore. :o)
Based on an actual event: The 1909 Dotsero Train Wreck https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B084H4Z23C/ref=dbs_a_def_rwt_hsch_vapi_tkin_p6_i5

Author of over 50 novels   www.martitalbott.com

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline 98475

• View Profile
    Re: Anybody selling paperbacks after the big move to KDP?
    « Reply #1 on: October 29, 2018, 02:30:57 pm »
    I've seen some steady sales. I know that KDP Print or Createspace had mentioned before moving your books to raise the prices if they fell under 100 pages due to the higher printing costs. Perhaps this is the case for your slow sales.

Offline starkllr

• View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: October 29, 2018, 03:48:06 pm »
    Forget selling paperbacks - I want to know how anyone even gets one up for sale with this crappy new KDP paperback system.

I've been fighting with it for a week to try and get one stupid 120 page novella up as a paperback, and despite multiple efforts from my cover designer, several calls to KDP support, several emails to KDP support, and several hours wasted, I still don't have a paperback.

Createspace was about a million times easier to work with than this horrible new piece of garbage.

What if you could see everyone else's dreams?
    J.J. DiBenedetto | Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Smashwords | Goodreads

Offline Marti talbott

• Marti Talbott
      • View Profile
      • Marti Talbott's Books
    « Reply #3 on: October 29, 2018, 07:08:34 pm »
    The more they fix, the worse it gets.
    Based on an actual event: The 1909 Dotsero Train Wreck https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B084H4Z23C/ref=dbs_a_def_rwt_hsch_vapi_tkin_p6_i5

Offline Kathy Dee

• View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: October 29, 2018, 11:46:11 pm »
    I've been fighting with it for a week to try and get one stupid 120 page novella up as a paperback, and despite multiple efforts from my cover designer, several calls to KDP support, several emails to KDP support, and several hours wasted, I still don't have a paperback.

I can feel your pain. Personally, I never used CS but have 3 paperbacks published via KDP. The issue I had the first time was understanding the dimensions requirements. They are different for each book because of the page count. I am sure you must understand that because you had previously published on CS, but anyway, you might find this page helpful:

https://kdp.amazon.com/en_US/cover-templates

Offline xcaliber

• View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: October 30, 2018, 01:28:40 am »
    The process seems smooth enough. I just published several over the weekend with little or no issues.

Offline BookWurm

• Unknowingly offending everyone all the time.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: October 30, 2018, 02:41:23 am »
    I had zero problems with converting from CS to KDP. However, when I came to make changes to any of the books they had to go through the approval process fully and then it all fell apart. In the end I created my covers in the KDP cover Creator (just import it as a background, then remove any text boxes they put into the template.). It comes out correctly sized for the book on their system.

That said, I don't actually like KDP that much so decided to switch all printed books to B&N where they have their own stores to place your books. KDP quickly picked the books back up and linked them to the eBooks so nothing lost.

Mind you, I don't sell any paperbacks ANYWHERE!

Offline Laran Mithras

• Butte MT
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: October 30, 2018, 03:30:49 am »
    My CS sales have remained about the same: ~15 paperbacks per month. I have 3 paperbacks using KDP since Aug 29 with 2 sales last month and 3 sales this month. 150+ books to move - I'm letting them do it, so right now I have the benefit of seeing both CS and KDP sales side-by-side.

It seems normal to me.

Offline Sleeping Cat Books

• View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: October 30, 2018, 03:49:26 am »
    ...decided to switch all printed books to B&N where they have their own stores to place your books. KDP quickly picked the books back up and linked them to the eBooks so nothing lost.
    Are you sure about this? It was my understanding that Nook Press offered no distribution beyond their own website, and the very small chance of getting on a store's shelf. Can we get a link to this book on Amazon?

Offline BookWurm

• View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: October 30, 2018, 05:01:02 am »
    Are you sure about this? It was my understanding that Nook Press offered no distribution beyond their own website, and the very small chance of getting on a store's shelf. Can we get a link to this book on Amazon?

No, because I don't advertise my books here any more. Check your PM's
    « Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 05:04:22 am by BookWurm »

Offline MissingAlaska

• View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: October 30, 2018, 05:36:15 am »
    My paperback sales stopped for a while (about 6 weeks) and then returned to normal.

• Ontario, Canada
    • I should probably be writing...
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: October 30, 2018, 05:41:51 am »
    All normal here. 100+ paperbacks sold this month.

• Ontario, Canada
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: October 30, 2018, 05:43:44 am »

That's correct. Through BN Press your paperbacks are ONLY sold on BN.com They have no expanded distribution. I asked them a little while ago to clarify.

Offline BookWurm

• View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: October 30, 2018, 06:08:01 am »
    That's correct. Through BN Press your paperbacks are ONLY sold on BN.com They have no expanded distribution. I asked them a little while ago to clarify.

That's incorrect.

I currently show four of my books via Nook Press, One via Createspace. Go figure hey? You say it can't be done, but my books are on there.

It must be magic, or maybe it's a technical issue. Or maybe I'm lying  :o
    « Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 06:24:35 am by BookWurm »

Offline Marti talbott

• Marti Talbott
      • View Profile
      • Marti Talbott's Books
    « Reply #14 on: October 30, 2018, 07:38:16 am »
    Thanks everyone for your input. My books are all available, but not selling, apparently. My problem is with the cover art not changing when I uploaded a newer version. It's right in the paperback look inside, but not on the ebook buy page. Example: http://a.co/d/dGLlA5k click on the paperback link.
    Wish I knew how to fix it and Amazon has not yet answered. Maybe they don't know how to fix it either.

Offline BookWurm

• View Profile
    « Reply #15 on: October 30, 2018, 07:46:43 am »
    Thanks everyone for your input. My books are all available, but not selling, apparently. My problem is with the cover art not changing when I uploaded a newer version. It's right in the paperback look inside, but not on the ebook buy page. Example: http://a.co/d/dGLlA5k click on the paperback link.
    Wish I knew how to fix it and Amazon has not yet answered. Maybe they don't know how to fix it either.

How long ago did you switch?

Also, upload the image again on the printed version and over-write the one that's there. That should force it to replace the image on the file. That might replicate across to the buy page.

• Ontario, Canada
      • View Profile
    « Reply #16 on: October 30, 2018, 07:55:16 am »
    That's incorrect.

I currently show four of my books via Nook Press, One via Createspace. Go figure hey? You say it can't be done, but my books are on there.

It must be magic, or maybe it's a technical issue. Or maybe I'm lying  :o

Oh it would appear we're talking about two different things. I thought you meant publishing paper on BN press and being available on Amazon and the like.

Yes, Createspace and KDP Print books show up on BN.com. Eventually.

Offline BookWurm

• View Profile
    « Reply #17 on: October 30, 2018, 08:02:06 am »
    Oh it would appear we're talking about two different things. I thought you meant publishing paper on BN press and being available on Amazon and the like.

This is one of those cases of two people talking English, but both speaking a different language.

My books are published in printed form on B&N (Nook Press) and simultaneously show up on Amazon as published by Nook Press. They are linked to my eBooks and audio books.

Offline Bob Stewart

• View Profile
      • Street Car Mysteries
    « Reply #18 on: October 30, 2018, 08:10:02 am »
    I just searched "Nook Press" at Amazon and a number of paperbacks with Nook Press listed as publisher showed up.

Offline BookWurm

• View Profile
    « Reply #19 on: October 30, 2018, 08:18:54 am »
    I just searched "Nook Press" at Amazon and a number of paperbacks with Nook Press listed as publisher showed up.

Interestingly the search only produces a small fraction of the books actually available through Nook. Mine fore example aren't in my search list.

Offline hopecartercan

• View Profile
    « Reply #20 on: October 30, 2018, 09:09:00 am »
    My paperback sales have doubled. But take that with a grain of salt. I only sold five or six paperbacks per month at CS. I moved to KDP in September & this month, October, I've sold 11 paperbacks so far.
    « Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 09:21:29 am by hopecartercan »

Offline Marti talbott

• Marti Talbott
      • View Profile
      • Marti Talbott's Books
    « Reply #21 on: October 30, 2018, 11:07:38 am »
    How long ago did you switch?

Also, upload the image again on the printed version and over-write the one that's there. That should force it to replace the image on the file. That might replicate across to the buy page.

We've been working on them for a couple of weeks, uploading and re-uploading. Hasn't worked so far, but thanks for the suggestion.

Offline notjohn

• View Profile
      • Notjohn's Self-Publishing Guide
    « Reply #22 on: October 31, 2018, 05:33:19 am »
    Definitely my sales stalled -- almost stopped, as I recall -- following the migration, but they have now recovered. Not to normal CS standards, but high enough to ensure me that though I may have lost a week's sales the trend now is about the same as before.
    Notjohn's Guide to E-Book & Print Formatting: http://viewbook.at/notjohn

The blog: http://notjohnkdp.blogspot.com

KBoards.com

• Advertisement