Author Topic: PW4 Features  (Read 2831 times)  

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Not really a moderator. :)
    • View Profile
PW4 Features
« on: November 07, 2018, 12:48:54 pm »
These are in no particular order, just things I'm noticing as I set up.

1.  When it came to set the time, there was a notation that the device would get the time from the local wifi network. So that's new -- and something folks have asked for, though it's fairly minor. That said, mine was on pacific time when it arrived . . . . I'll leave it alone and see if it fixes itself.

2.  While I was running through the various settings menus, I noticed the 'update your kindle' option was not grayed out. So I tapped it and it's updating. It came with 5.10.0.1. -- update finished. It's 5.10.1.2. For reference, my Voyage is 5.10.1.1.

3.  It arrived about half charged . . . and came with a wire. I have so many of them now! The box is slimmer than the last few kindles I've bought; Nothing in the way of documentation except a little card that said 'turn it on and do what it says'. :D

4. Device Options menu: no real difference -- still waiting for the time to update. Going to advanced options, there's a setting on the new PW called Power Saver. I suspect it acts similarly to the Oasis where it goes to deep sleep when not used for a while, which means it takes a bit longer when first waking up.

5. There's a 'storage management' that will let you quickly remove content. You can also automatically archive (i.e. remove from device) things that you haven't looked at in a set period of time. Actually, this feature has been on other devices, but it's not been talked about much.

6. Reading Options/Highlights & About This Book: There is no option to toggle public notes on or off. The popular highlights "feature" is still there . . I've turned it off. (I think this menu changed after the update, but I can't be sure; I didn't look at it long.)

7. There's an accessibility setting that lets you turn on the VoiceView Screen Reader and allows you to set the page to white text on black.

That's what I've discovered so far . . . off to play a bit more . . . At first blush, it's not too different from the Voyage in terms of usability. I do find my self trying to press the 'buttons' that, of course, aren't there. The lighting seems about the same. It's quite light. I will be looking for a suitable cover -- I don't want anything bulky at all.

My Kindles
Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
My Tardis (PW 10)

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline CS

• Parts Unknown
    • Five-Star Ranking Agent 337
      • View Profile
    Re: PW4 Features
    « Reply #1 on: November 07, 2018, 01:41:51 pm »
    Very interesting stuff, Ann. Thank you for posting this.

I didn't notice the clock auto-update feature, so I manually updated it. (Mine was set to Pacific by default too.)

After playing around a few minutes, I also noticed the option to update the device. I'll assume mine updated to the same firmware you listed. New features I noticed were a battery percentage and a front page that lets you scroll down. Getting to your library seems to require pressing the text option instead of scrolling to the next page like before. I believe it's the same in other newer Kindles, but not my old PW2 (at least not yet).

My Kindle arrived probably less than half full. By the time I did the update, it said 38%. I charged it with wi-fi on and one KU book coming in during the charging process.

When I noticed the green light and unplugged the Kindle from the charger (after about an hour and a half, or thereabouts), it said 96% instead of 100%. Since wi-fi was still on, I'm hoping this isn't anything to be too concerned about it. (Other than the KU book, I did not download any books before or during the charging process - I just re-added a few Collection folders - so I don't think anything would be indexing.) I'm not sure my PW2 was ever fully at 100% either after a charge (but I have no way of knowing for sure). I am a bit paranoid about battery life after all of the Oasis horror stories, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

I'm looking forward to testing the white text on a black background feature, even though I'm guessing it will be a half-baked gimmick that slows everything down.

Let me know what you find in the way of covers. For now, I'm using this old Kindle case I bought years ago. It's meant for a 7" Fire, so it's kind of big, but it works well enough for the time being.

As gross as the color looks there, it's actually a lot nicer in person. :D Of course, it was never my top choice, but it was half the price of the other color options at the time, so... ;)
    « Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 01:50:52 pm by CS »

Offline Brownskins

• Dallas, Texas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: November 07, 2018, 01:51:41 pm »
    At first blush, it's not too different from the Voyage in terms of usability. I do find my self trying to press the 'buttons' that, of course, aren't there. The lighting seems about the same.

These were my thoughts too, as mentioned in the watch thread.  I've read on it for about an hour now, and it feels like I am reading on one of my other Kindles.  For some reason, I feel like the top layer here is more matted (matte) than the OA2, making the fonts less crisp.  But I can't tell for certain if the material is different.  Mine came in an older software version 5.10.0.2 but I have no plans of updating soon.  I don't really like the scrollable home screen.
    Train rides + Kindle reads = Win!

A few of my thoughts and reviews are posted here:  https://simplyctrocks.blogspot.com/

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: November 07, 2018, 02:33:35 pm »
    Very interesting stuff, Ann. Thank you for posting this.

I didn't notice the clock auto-update feature, so I manually updated it. (Mine was set to Pacific by default too.)

After playing around a few minutes, I also noticed the option to update the device. I'll assume mine updated to the same firmware you listed. New features I noticed were a battery percentage and a front page that lets you scroll down. Getting to your library seems to require pressing the text option instead of scrolling to the next page like before. I believe it's the same in other newer Kindles, but not my old PW2 (at least not yet).

Yeah, this is a feature that is also in the newest update to Voyage, Oasis, and later PWs. Any sort of swiping on the home screen basically just scrolls -- to get to your library you have to tap the link.

My Kindle arrived probably less than half full. By the time I did the update, it said 38%. I charged it with wi-fi on and one KU book coming in during the charging process.

When I noticed the green light and unplugged the Kindle from the charger (after about an hour and a half, or thereabouts), it said 96% instead of 100%. Since wi-fi was still on, I'm hoping this isn't anything to be too concerned about it. (Other than the KU book, I did not download any books before or during the charging process - I just re-added a few Collection folders - so I don't think anything would be indexing.) I'm not sure my PW2 was ever fully at 100% either after a charge (but I have no way of knowing for sure). I am a bit paranoid about battery life after all of the Oasis horror stories, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

I'm looking forward to testing the white text on a black background feature, even though I'm guessing it will be a half-baked gimmick that slows everything down.

It's a feature on the Oasis and actually works fairly well in very low light situations -- like when I want to keep reading and the husband wants the light off. ::) It's a bit weird at first, but I found I got used to it fairly quickly. And I didn't notice that it slowed anything down.

Let me know what you find in the way of covers. For now, I'm using this old Kindle case I bought years ago. It's meant for a 7" Fire, so it's kind of big, but it works well enough for the time being.

As gross as the color looks there, it's actually a lot nicer in person. :D Of course, it was never my top choice, but it was half the price of the other color options at the time, so... ;)

Yeah, I have an old slip case as well that I'll use . . . . fintie already has a couple of options/colors and I'm sure they'll have more within a couple of weeks. I'm not willing to pay the Amazon prices for their branded cases, I'm afraid.
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline Linjeakel

• United Kingdom
    • Erm .....
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: November 07, 2018, 02:46:17 pm »
    These were my thoughts too, as mentioned in the watch thread.  I've read on it for about an hour now, and it feels like I am reading on one of my other Kindles.  For some reason, I feel like the top layer here is more matted (matte) than the OA2, making the fonts less crisp.  But I can't tell for certain if the material is different.  Mine came in an older software version 5.10.0.2 but I have no plans of updating soon.  I don't really like the scrollable home screen.

This was my thought too, in comparison to my Voyage the "glass" surface doesn't seem as clear - I'm having to put the light up higher and the fonts seem less crisp - which is little disappointing as they've only just addressed that problem with the ability to change the font weight.

Other than that it's much like using the Voyage. I need to consider whether the extras - waterproofing, Audible access, larger capacity etc. outweigh these little niggles. I'm thinking probably not.

I'm still on 5.10.0.1 - it hasn't updated automatically yet and the link on the website is still not working. So I still don't know what else might be different.
    Linda

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: November 07, 2018, 04:35:57 pm »
    As to the lighting, I think I'd agree that, compared to the Voyage, the light levels are not as bright. It's not as noticeable a difference at lower levels, but when you get to around 12 or higher, the Voyage seems brighter. It might be because of the kind of bulbs. If I set the Voyage at 16, for example,, equivalent brightness/color means the PW is at 20. So, taking it to the extreme, the voyage at 24 is brighter than the PW at 24.
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline tsemple

• View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: November 07, 2018, 08:36:22 pm »
    These are in no particular order, just things I'm noticing as I set up.

1.  When it came to set the time, there was a notation that the device would get the time from the local wifi network. So that's new -- and something folks have asked for, though it's fairly minor. That said, mine was on pacific time when it arrived . . . . I'll leave it alone and see if it fixes itself.
    Kindle does not have a Time Zone setting, so when you say Pacific time, I assume you mean the time it would show if I lived in Pacific time zone.  Seems to me if Kindle asks the WiFi network what the local time is, and your network was never told what time zone it was in, then that might be why Kindle is not showing correct time. I cannot remember the last time I got into my router settings to check any of this, myself.

That said, I reset my Voyage recently, and the time was correct then (do not remember it notifying me about any time thing), but it has not subsequently self-adjusted to Standard time. I do not remember needing to adjust it before, or maybe just never noticed it was wrong. Seems like a bug, maybe that is what they are trying to fix with the notification, etc.

4. Device Options menu: no real difference -- still waiting for the time to update. Going to advanced options, there's a setting on the new PW called Power Saver. I suspect it acts similarly to the Oasis where it goes to deep sleep when not used for a while, which means it takes a bit longer when first waking up.
    That does seem new.
    6. Reading Options/Highlights & About This Book: There is no option to toggle public notes on or off. The popular highlights "feature" is still there . . I've turned it off. (I think this menu changed after the update, but I can't be sure; I didn't look at it long.)
    Public Notes really does not exist any longer - there is no way to Follow or un-Follow anyone on Kindle since the redesign of kindle.amazon.com. It was a cool idea but not very usable, no need to keep a setting for it. But I would like to see them wire up a similar feature to Goodreads so that notes and highlights from people you follow there show up as you read the book. I think that would actually get used, and be a lot of fun.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 08:55:39 pm by tsemple »

Offline tsemple

• View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: November 07, 2018, 08:42:32 pm »

It will not slow anything down. It is refreshing the same number of pixels either way, and appears to be something the CPU/GPU is designed to do in microcode (as opposed to application code).

Can someone do a side by side performance test with previous Paperwhite or Voyage? Is anything faster? According to Wikipedia Oasis 9th gen has a slightly faster CPU and maybe it is dual core instead of single core. I am guessing the new Paperwhite has the same one, since it is the only other Kindle that does the Invert White and Black thing.

Mine has been delivered but it will be a couple of days before I am where it is.
    « Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 08:57:03 pm by tsemple »

Offline CS

• Parts Unknown
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: November 07, 2018, 10:29:46 pm »
    Can anyone else answer if the default PW4 font is Bookerly for them too?

I think it was Caecilia on the PW2, or at least that's what I've been using for years. But it looks different on the PW4 somehow.

BTW, update on my battery: It was 96% after I finished charging, but it jumped up to 98% tonight when I picked it back up. It's back to 96% now after reading one chapter of a very dull KU book and seven chapters of another book from my collection that I DLed from the cloud + playing around with settings, fonts, etc. Wi-fi was off for the most part. My guess is the PW4 is still learning and adjusting.

It will not slow anything down. It is refreshing the same number of pixels either way, and appears to be something the CPU/GPU is designed to do in microcode (as opposed to application code).

Can someone do a side by side performance test with previous Paperwhite or Voyage? Is anything faster? According to Wikipedia Oasis 9th gen has a slightly faster CPU and maybe it is dual core instead of single core. I am guessing the new Paperwhite has the same one, since it is the only other Kindle that does the Invert White and Black thing.

Mine has been delivered but it will be a couple of days before I am where it is.

You're right - it seems just as zippy with the inverted background. I was surprised that it inverted the background for everything on the Kindle, not just the book itself. I only tried it for a minute or two before switching back.

My PW4 does seem slightly zippier than my PW2, but I have only a couple of books downloaded onto the PW4 and only a few collections downloaded onto the device (with all of the books still in the cloud), so it's not exactly an even comparison.
    « Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 10:32:30 pm by CS »

Offline Linjeakel

• United Kingdom
    • Erm .....
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: November 08, 2018, 02:17:29 am »
    My PW4 is still on firmware version 5.10.0.1 and hasn't updated to 5.10.1.2 - so it's not even got the new font setting options that I have on my Voyager which has 5.10.1.1.

It's not exactly helping me to feel as though I have some super duper new Kindle.  :(

No idea how long I'll have to wait for the update since I always do mine manually - but the page with the update link on it has now been removed - they must've gone live before the download was actually available.  ???
    Linda

Offline gaidinsgirl

• View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: November 08, 2018, 03:39:52 am »
    My PW4 is still on firmware version 5.10.0.1 and hasn't updated to 5.10.1.2 - so it's not even got the new font setting options that I have on my Voyager which has 5.10.1.1.

It's not exactly helping me to feel as though I have some super duper new Kindle.  :(

No idea how long I'll have to wait for the update since I always do mine manually - but the page with the update link on it has now been removed - they must've gone live before the download was actually available.  ???

This is my situation too. I keep hoping it will auto download, but it hasnt. I really liked the battery percent on my voyage with the update, and Im missing it on the new PW.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: November 08, 2018, 04:23:12 am »
    Kindle does not have a Time Zone setting, so when you say Pacific time, I assume you mean the time it would show if I lived in Pacific time zone.  Seems to me if Kindle asks the WiFi network what the local time is, and your network was never told what time zone it was in, then that might be why Kindle is not showing correct time. I cannot remember the last time I got into my router settings to check any of this, myself.

Hmmm. Good point. Never thought of that. For me, it's not a big deal anyway. It's pretty easy to set it and it was 'correct' -- just 3 hours off. So all that needed fixing was the hour.

That said, I reset my Voyage recently, and the time was correct then (do not remember it notifying me about any time thing), but it has not subsequently self-adjusted to Standard time. I do not remember needing to adjust it before, or maybe just never noticed it was wrong. Seems like a bug, maybe that is what they are trying to fix with the notification, etc.

As far as I can remember, I've never had a kindle that self-adjusted when moving to and from standard vs daylight saving time. They're about the only things left in my house that I have to manually reset.

That does seem new.

I have not yet had the chance to look at my Oasis and see if it's a setting that can be toggled. I know it does do the deep sleep thing.

Public Notes really does not exist any longer - there is no way to Follow or un-Follow anyone on Kindle since the redesign of kindle.amazon.com. It was a cool idea but not very usable, no need to keep a setting for it. But I would like to see them wire up a similar feature to Goodreads so that notes and highlights from people you follow there show up as you read the book. I think that would actually get used, and be a lot of fun.

Well, I am not interested in other people's notes, but I agree that some further integration with GR would be welcome. Right now you can shelve it as 'to read', 'reading', or 'read', but can't put it onto any personal shelves you've created. I'd like to be able to do that when I finish. Though I'd still want to go to GR on a computer to write up a review. IDEALLY, GR shelves should be able to be linked to Kindle collections ....
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: November 08, 2018, 04:25:03 am »
    Can someone do a side by side performance test with previous Paperwhite or Voyage? Is anything faster? According to Wikipedia Oasis 9th gen has a slightly faster CPU and maybe it is dual core instead of single core. I am guessing the new Paperwhite has the same one, since it is the only other Kindle that does the Invert White and Black thing

I did some reading last night -- page turns seem just as fast.

There's still some lag when putting things into/out of collections, but maybe not quite so much. Hard to tell, though, if it's because of a faster processor, or because there's almost nothing on my PW4.
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: November 08, 2018, 04:27:44 am »
    Can anyone else answer if the default PW4 font is Bookerly for them too?

I think it was Caecilia on the PW2, or at least that's what I've been using for years. But it looks different on the PW4 somehow.

Yes! I believe the default was Bookerly. At least, I remember resetting the size and boldness, but that I didn't have to set the typeface when I made my first theme.
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline Linjeakel

• United Kingdom
    • Erm .....
      • View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: November 08, 2018, 04:42:00 pm »
    The link is back (and is working) to update the PW4 to firmware version 5.10.1.2.

This brings it in line with the latest update to the Voyage and the Oasis which are on 5.10.1.1 - not sure what the difference is - maybe just background stuff or stuff to do with Audible. The blurb seems to be the same.
    Linda

Offline Paperbackstash

• View Profile
    « Reply #15 on: November 08, 2018, 06:14:40 pm »
    I had to manually update mine. The option was greyed out to do it automatically.

Unfortunately I am still missing the "fun features" that were advertised as part of the Paperwhite 4 press release:

An updated homeThe new home experience makes it easier to find your next read based on your reading history, including books that are free for you to read from Kindle Unlimited or Prime Reading. You can also view reading accomplishments, like how many days in the past month youve read, as well as fun facts and tips so you can get the most out of your device.
    Kindles:
    Inis Odyssey - PW4
    Moonsliver - PW3
    Nostromo - Fire HD 2nd Gen

Offline Paperbackstash

• View Profile
    « Reply #16 on: November 08, 2018, 06:16:36 pm »
    I agree the screen is a little inferior compared to the PW3 in some ways. I have even lighting on both my PW3 and 4, but the PW4 is less bright and more "warm". The font is a little less dark and crisp, almost slightly hazy.

A picture I took with my phone - same lighting settings, page number and book, font settings (light 17). The PW4 is definitely darker.

And for the life of me, I cannot find this advertised inverted text feature anywhere. I keep looking but?  Has anyone figured this out?
    Kindles:
    Inis Odyssey - PW4
    Moonsliver - PW3
    Nostromo - Fire HD 2nd Gen

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #17 on: November 08, 2018, 07:06:23 pm »

And for the life of me, I cannot find this advertised inverted text feature anywhere. I keep looking but?  Has anyone figured this out?

It's in settings, under accessibility. It's also someplace else, but I don't remember off hand and my PW4 is downstairs. I'll update this post in the morning. :)
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline CS

• Parts Unknown
      • View Profile
    « Reply #18 on: November 08, 2018, 09:14:20 pm »
    Yes! I believe the default was Bookerly. At least, I remember resetting the size and boldness, but that I didn't have to set the typeface when I made my first theme.

Thanks for the confirmation! I switched back to Caecilia (my old reliable PW2 font) and had a a much more comfortable reading experience tonight. For whatever reason, I've never really warmed up to Bookerly - or any of the other fonts, for that matter.

Just out of curiosity, what are your settings? Other than changing the font back to Caecilia, I kept the size at 4 and kept all of the other settings the same.

Like my old PW2, I have the PW4 light set to 10 in the bedroom and it will probably be 14 in the living room. Of course, light settings really depend on your environment. Just wondering if you had different light settings on your older PWs or kept them the same for all the models.

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #19 on: November 09, 2018, 04:03:29 am »
    I used to use Caecilia, but decided I like Bookerly. ESPECIALLY if I increase the weight of the lines -- I think I have my bolding setting at 2. Size is 4 or 5 depending on which device.

Lighting I'm comparing to a Voyage and I find that I want it a bit higher on the PW. But really, anything from about 12 to 20 works. The Voyage does adjust itself downward when it's darker and upward when it's lighter and I let it do that. I've only rarely had a case where I thought it was either too bright or not bright enough, in which case I just fix it.
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline CS

• Parts Unknown
      • View Profile
    « Reply #20 on: November 10, 2018, 11:30:34 am »
    I used to use Caecilia, but decided I like Bookerly. ESPECIALLY if I increase the weight of the lines -- I think I have my bolding setting at 2. Size is 4 or 5 depending on which device.

To my eyes, Bookerly is slightly less bold than Caecilia. The fonts are very similar otherwise. But Caecilia, to me, adds just enough extra boldness that it's perfect for me without playing around with any other boldness settings.

Offline barryem

• View Profile
    « Reply #21 on: November 10, 2018, 11:58:09 am »
    I used to use Caecilia till Bookerly came along and then I switched.  When the bold option became available I set it to level 1 and it made a nice difference.  But I never thought of going back to Caecilia.

Anyway I just tried it using no bolding, bolding 1 and bolding 2.  I went back and forth between it and Bookerly using the same bolding levels.  I finally decided I didn't really care which I used so I left it on Bookerly with level 1 bolding, like I had it before.

Barry

Offline CS

• Parts Unknown
      • View Profile
    « Reply #22 on: November 10, 2018, 12:00:19 pm »
    You guys have me curious about Bookerly with level 1 bolding. I'll try it next time.

Offline Jane917

• Ridgefield, WA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #23 on: November 11, 2018, 12:08:32 pm »
    I am configuring my PW4 order and would appreciate some advice. Ordering was always a no-brainer in the past, but now I can have a full 32gb for only $6 more. Not sure why I would need that much. Can anyone give me a good excuse? How about free cellular for downloads when I am out and about. Actually, in my case, when I am out of wifi range I am also often out of cellular range. Will these options slow anything down? Is there any disadvantage (except for the extra $6)?  Jane
    Words with Friends: Jane917

(Make your own reading bar)

Offline CS

• Parts Unknown
      • View Profile
    « Reply #24 on: November 11, 2018, 02:33:37 pm »
    I am configuring my PW4 order and would appreciate some advice. Ordering was always a no-brainer in the past, but now I can have a full 32gb for only $6 more. Not sure why I would need that much. Can anyone give me a good excuse? How about free cellular for downloads when I am out and about. Actually, in my case, when I am out of wifi range I am also often out of cellular range. Will these options slow anything down? Is there any disadvantage (except for the extra $6)?  Jane

How are you able to get it for only $6 more???

For that price, how is it even a question?

I can't answer about any drawbacks though - I got the 8 GB model - but I really doubt it.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement