Author Topic: Covers for the NEW PW -- besides Amazon  (Read 5811 times)  

Offline Paperbackstash

• View Profile
Re: Covers for the NEW PW -- besides Amazon
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2018, 09:15:29 am »
I've been checking several times a week on the cases before and after the PW4 release. Haven't seen anything that suits me fully yet, but a lot of the suppliers are still working on it and only supporting the older models. Right now I'm using a PW3 case as some protection until I can get one that's a better fit.
Kindle Family:

Leviathan - Oasis 3
Inis Odyssey - PW4
Moonsliver - PW3
Nostromo - Fire HD 8
January Embers - Fire HD 2nd Gen

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
    • Not a moderator and haven't ben one for a year.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #26 on: November 14, 2018, 09:58:40 am »
    Here are a couple pics of the Navy blue from ACdream.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline Brownskins

• Dallas, Texas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #27 on: November 14, 2018, 01:52:09 pm »
    Does anyone know where the magnet is in the new PW that needs to be in contact with the cover magnet so that it can auto shut off or turn on? (Upper right corner, lower right corner, etc.)
    Train rides + Kindle reads = Win!

A few of my thoughts and reviews are posted here:  https://simplyctrocks.blogspot.com/

Offline Jane917

• Ridgefield, WA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #28 on: November 17, 2018, 12:13:47 pm »
    I just ordered this cover. My "2 day shipping" will arrive Nov 26. What's with that?

I ordered Sky Blue, which looks turquoise in the picture.
    Words with Friends: Jane917

(Make your own reading bar)

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #29 on: November 17, 2018, 03:39:43 pm »
    I just ordered this cover. My "2 day shipping" will arrive Nov 26. What's with that?

There was an article about the delay in prime shipping in the WaPo today . . . . there was a wall collapse a month or so at an Amazon warehouse in Baltimore that threw a monkey wrench into things. Mostly affecting people on the east coast, I guess, but there's a knock on effect elsewhere.

It's annoying . . . but I think it's fair that they warn you at purchase . . . but it needs to get resolved before too much longer or they'll have a lot of unhappy customers.
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline CS

• Parts Unknown
    • Five-Star Ranking Agent 337
      • View Profile
    « Reply #30 on: November 21, 2018, 12:46:23 am »
    I've found maybe the weirdest case ever...

Young me martShell Case for 2018 All-New Kindle Paperwhite with Hand Strap - The Thinnest and Lightest Leather Cover Auto Sleep/Wake for Kindle Paperwhite 10th Generation (Monkey)

As always, click on the link for more designs - all equally as weird.

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #31 on: November 21, 2018, 03:50:02 am »
    Those are definitely some ... unusual designs!

I kinda like the handstrap feature, though ....

Looks like they run around $20 apiece? Not bad .... FWIW, I'm still very happy with my ACdream case. :D
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline DD

• Member #484
      • View Profile
    « Reply #32 on: November 21, 2018, 06:32:24 am »
    Im very happy with this one. Only $12.99.

Kindles I have owned or now own:
    K1, K2, KK, DX, Touch, FireHD, PW2, Voyage, Oasis8th gen, Oasis9th gen, PW10th gen, Oasis10th gen

Offline Jane917

• Ridgefield, WA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33 on: November 21, 2018, 05:00:07 pm »
    My ACDream PW4 cover arrived today, several days ahead of schedule. It fits well, seems like it will last awhile, and does the job it is suppose to do.

Words with Friends: Jane917

(Make your own reading bar)

Offline Libertine

• View Profile
    « Reply #34 on: December 01, 2018, 03:06:04 pm »
    Hi all, Im new here, but I saw on one of the Amazon reviews I read that one lady was successfully using the new PW in an old PW case just by putting some cardboard in the case behind the PW to make up for the thinner design.

Wondering if anyone else has tried this?

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #35 on: December 02, 2018, 05:55:39 am »
    Hi all, Im new here, but I saw on one of the Amazon reviews I read that one lady was successfully using the new PW in an old PW case just by putting some cardboard in the case behind the PW to make up for the thinner design.

Wondering if anyone else has tried this?

I haven't and, FWIW, I wouldn't.

I prefer the cases that are molded plastic to hold the device tightly. I can't see where it would work with those types -- they're designed for the thing to practically snap in. The Amazon branded cases are this style.

OTOH, there are also the cases where the device is held by a leather or leather-like frame -- I think they call them 'folio' style (vs the other called 'smart shell'). With THAT style case, it might work to pad the space behind the device with something. I'm enough of a perfectionist, though, that I'd not be happy, most likely. YMMV, of course. :)
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline Libertine

• View Profile
    « Reply #36 on: December 02, 2018, 06:45:53 am »
    I hear you Anne, Im picky about my covers too.

Im upgrading from a Kindle Keyboard to the new PW. Loved the Amazon brand KK cover with the light built in, the leather is thick and durable and it still looks new after 8+ years. Reviews of the Amazon leather cases for the new PW say it feels cheap/thin/poor quality, so Im here looking for something else.

Reviews of the Amazon leather case for the old PW were all pretty positive so I was hoping I might be able to get away with using that one with a little cardboard hack! Ahh well. Back to the drawing board.

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #37 on: December 02, 2018, 06:56:07 am »
    As noted earlier in the thread, there are a number of third party cases that folks have found to be just fine -- and half the cost of even the cheapest of the Amazon versions. I have this one:

And am very happy with it. It's only $11.99 and there's at least one color that's only $8.99.
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline CS

• Parts Unknown
      • View Profile
    « Reply #38 on: December 02, 2018, 10:26:12 am »
    Found this one. It's really cute. Not in stock until November 18th and not eligible for Prime (probably because it's not in stock). The price is $9.99 + $4.98 shipping, but there's a 10% off coupon attached to it.

Click link for other colors/designs/prices.

UPDATE

CAUTION: BAD reviews for these!

I finally broke down and ordered this one (I threw it in with some book orders - yes, *GASP*, physical books, lol), even though there is one bad review for one of the other colors/designs in this set. $12.99 isn't the cheapest price, but it's still more than reasonable enough for something I'm planning to get years of use out of. I'm hoping all is well and it works as advertised. I'll let everyone know and try to post pictures when I get it.
    « Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 10:33:05 am by CS »

Offline Libertine

• View Profile
    « Reply #39 on: December 03, 2018, 03:34:36 am »
    Im in Australia so we dont have many options yet on Amazon AU (or theyre listed but not ready to ship until after Christmas), but we do have the dragon scale print one that DD bought, so Ill get one of those :)

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #40 on: December 03, 2018, 03:53:26 am »
    Im in Australia so we dont have many options yet on Amazon AU (or theyre listed but not ready to ship until after Christmas), but we do have the dragon scale print one that DD bought, so Ill get one of those :)

Ah! Yes, where you are in the world will certainly make a difference as to what's offered. Glad you found at least one that will work for you, though. :)
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline CS

• Parts Unknown
      • View Profile
    « Reply #41 on: December 03, 2018, 09:39:39 am »

My case arrived overnight!

My only nitpick is the garish website address written on the cover that was not pictured on the Amazon listing. I probably would've thought twice about ordering if I had known that was there, and I'll be docking a star rating for it. However, the case came in clear plastic packaging, so I was able to easily see what I was getting before I opened it. I quickly decided to keep it, unwrap it, and try it out.

No complaints in the few minutes I've spent testing the case. It fits well, auto-wakes and auto-sleeps the screen, and the cover stays clasped onto the Kindle. In other words, it works exactly as advertised and intended.

Some pics:

Front

Open

Back

Very cute case overall, despite my earlier nitpick.
    « Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 09:42:47 am by CS »

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #42 on: December 03, 2018, 09:56:05 am »
    not bad ... the website is annoying, a bit more than the subtle stamp on my ACdream, but it could be worse! Still, glad to hear it is as advertised.
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline CS

• Parts Unknown
      • View Profile
    « Reply #43 on: December 03, 2018, 10:09:39 am »
    not bad ... the website is annoying, a bit more than the subtle stamp on my ACdream, but it could be worse! Still, glad to hear it is as advertised.

I just submitted my Amazon review, but there's no sign of it yet. I wonder if it takes longer to show up if no one else has reviewed it yet and it's the first review posted?

All of my other reviews are usually up within 5-15 minutes.

Offline CS

• Parts Unknown
      • View Profile
    « Reply #44 on: December 03, 2018, 12:50:00 pm »
    Odd turn of events. My review was actually REJECTED.

Thank you for submitting a customer review.

Thank you for submitting a customer review on Amazon. After carefully reviewing your submission, your review could not be posted to the website. While we appreciate your time and comments, reviews must adhere to the following guidelines:
    http://www.amazon.com/review-guidelines

TiMOVO Case for Kindle Paperwhite (10th Generation, 2018 Release) - Slim Lightweight PU Leather Smart Cover with Auto Wake/Sleep Function for Amazon Kindle Paperwhite E-Reader, Notebook Black   

★★★★   from CS on December 3, 2018

Not quite as pictured, but works as advertised and intended

First, I'll get my nitpick out of the way: There is a garish website address printed on the front of the case for www.mokodirect.com that is NOT pictured on the Amazon listing. I probably would have thought twice about ordering this if I had known that was there. As far as I'm concerned, Moko Direct and TiMOVO should be paying US to advertise their site.

With that said, the case came in clear plastic packaging, so I was able to easily see what I was getting before I opened it. I quickly decided to keep it, unwrap it, and try it out.

The hassle of returning it wasn't worth it in my mind, and the case is still really cute and cool despite my one objection.

No complaints in the few minutes I've spent testing the case. It fits well, auto-wakes and auto-sleeps the screen, and the cover stays clasped onto the Kindle. In other words, it works exactly as advertised and intended.

This is my second TiVOMO case - https://smile.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R5UXFIGRVDLPB - and I'm happy with the overall quality of both.

A few common issues to keep in mind:

Your review should focus on specific features of the product and your experience with it. Feedback on the seller or your shipment experience should be provided at www.amazon.com/feedback.
    We do not allow profane or obscene content. This applies to adult products too.
    Advertisements, promotional material or repeated posts that make the same point excessively are considered spam.
    Please do not include URLs external to Amazon or personally identifiable content in your review.
    Any attempt to manipulate Community content or features, including contributing false, misleading, or inauthentic content, is strictly prohibited.

I can only assume it's because I linked to www.mokodirect.com in the review (to explain what's on the cover), which is an external site, and that apparently isn't allowed in reviews. I've resubmitted it without the direct address. Hopefully that will be enough to pass muster.

UPDATE: It looks like Version 2 went up right away! https://www.amazon.com/review/R3ATOK51ZGS67Y/ Only the image I attached to my review shows up in the main listing so far though - the actual review isn't there yet - but I assume it will migrate over soon enough.

UPDATE 2: And it's there now! :D
    « Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 02:11:04 pm by CS »

Offline Libertine

• View Profile
    « Reply #45 on: December 09, 2018, 01:34:13 am »
    Well the one I picked out was not shipping until after Christmas, so I ended up ordering this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Fintie-All-new-Paperwhite-Generation-Release/dp/B07JZHDYQX?th=1

Its the Ye Olde Booke style one from Fintie, where the kindle is held in by a (PU) leather frame that closes with Velcro. I got the brown leather style, not the charcoal denim one that another user liked the look of.

I decided to go with this style because the fingerprints around the border of the Paperwhite were driving me a bit bonkers after only a week of use, lol. (After using the 100% fingerprint-free KK for 9 years it was something that I hadnt previously considered).

I am pleased to report that this case works a treat for reducing fingerprints :) The auto sleep/wake function seems to be working as advertised and the finish is very good (decent stitching, kindle sits straight, etc).

The inside of the cover is the same PU leather as the outside, NOT microfibre fabric as pictured on Amazon AU. I am not having any trouble gripping it though, so no biggie.

The main drawback is the PU leather is quite smooth, so the cover slides around a small amount when it is folded back. However the spine material is pretty thick which prevents it from moving around too much.

Overall Im pretty happy.

I hope this helps others.

Offline CS

• Parts Unknown
      • View Profile
    « Reply #46 on: December 09, 2018, 10:04:20 am »
    I decided to go with this style because the fingerprints around the border of the Paperwhite were driving me a bit bonkers after only a week of use, lol.

On that note, the case I bought (see above) reduces the "glare" issue people have mentioned. While it was never that bad for me, the slight elevation that comes from having it in a case somehow helps. I suspect that's true of most cases though, including yours.

Offline Libertine

• View Profile
    « Reply #47 on: December 10, 2018, 02:55:29 pm »
    Are people complaining of glare when they lay it flat on a table CS?

I havent found it to be terrible, no worse than the KK anyway.

Offline CS

• Parts Unknown
      • View Profile
    « Reply #48 on: December 10, 2018, 05:44:04 pm »
    Are people complaining of glare when they lay it flat on a table CS?

I havent found it to be terrible, no worse than the KK anyway.

I'm not sure what angle they're holding it from. Like you, it doesn't seem any worse to me than my previous Kindle (PW2).

Offline gaidinsgirl

• View Profile
    Covers for the NEW PW -- besides Amazon
    « Reply #49 on: December 19, 2018, 03:05:40 am »
    I ended up with this one and really like it. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JKSCT7K?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf
    « Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 03:08:52 am by gaidinsgirl »

KBoards.com

• Advertisement