Author Topic: Covers for the NEW PW -- besides Amazon  (Read 5821 times)  

Offline MagicalWingLT

• Brick, NJ
  • Reading Amanda Ashley, and Christine Feehan Books.
    • View Profile
Re: Covers for the NEW PW -- besides Amazon
« Reply #50 on: December 31, 2018, 12:16:54 am »
My case arrived overnight!

My only nitpick is the garish website address written on the cover that was not pictured on the Amazon listing. I probably would've thought twice about ordering if I had known that was there, and I'll be docking a star rating for it. However, the case came in clear plastic packaging, so I was able to easily see what I was getting before I opened it. I quickly decided to keep it, unwrap it, and try it out.

No complaints in the few minutes I've spent testing the case. It fits well, auto-wakes and auto-sleeps the screen, and the cover stays clasped onto the Kindle. In other words, it works exactly as advertised and intended.

Some pics:

Front

Open

Back

Very cute case overall, despite my earlier nitpick.

Fintie put out a better looking version folio case. Just ordered it. Only a few bucks more then this case. I'll let ya know how it is.  :)

(Make your own reading bar)A Kindle 1, 3 (Keyboard), and Paperwhite owner. I just love reading romance novels :P

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline CS

• Parts Unknown
    • Five-Star Ranking Agent 337
      • View Profile
    « Reply #51 on: January 01, 2019, 12:41:08 pm »
    Fintie put out a better looking version folio case. Just ordered it. Only a few bucks more then this case. I'll let ya know how it is.  :)

Hopefully the Fintie listing is accurate. TiMOVO still hasn't updated its listing for the one I bought!

With that said, I don't even notice the tacky website address now. Overall, it's a cute case that looks good.

I hope you enjoy yours too.

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
    • Not a moderator and haven't ben one for a year.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #52 on: January 01, 2019, 02:57:00 pm »
    FWIW, my ACdream case worked. I dropped the PW and it survived. Bad news is that a tiny piece of the plastic at one corner broke. Oh, well. It did it's job. Like my musician friends say about beat up guitar cases: just be glad the guitar was IN the case!

At some point I will likely look for anew one. :)
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline talleylynn

• Illinois
    • member 3486
      • View Profile
    « Reply #53 on: March 01, 2019, 01:26:50 pm »
    In the Christmastime kindle sales I ended up buying a paperwhite 4 and a paperwhite 10. Since I no longer carry the purse that had a slot just for my kindle, I realized I need to buy a case for both kindles. I've always left my kindles naked and am in the habit of reading one-handed - kindle balanced on my little finger and the side held between thumb and index finger.

I ordered covers for both of them and will be returning them both. For the paperwhite 4, I ordered a Huasiru Painting case with cats printed on it. The cover is so slick I would never be able to hold on to the kindle with the slightest bit of moisture on my hands in spite of it having some texture. For the paperwhite 10, I ordered a Finite origami cover. When that one is folded back, the front flap is about 1/8" longer than the back of the cover and is at an angle, which makes it very uncomfortable to hold one-handed. The Finite looks flush when in the closed position, but folded behind, it is not.

Can anyone make any recommendations for covers that are not slick and would work for a one-handed reader?

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #54 on: March 01, 2019, 01:59:40 pm »
    I tried several of the cheaper covers for the latest Paperwhite. All 3 had a plastic shell that held the kindle. The covers felt nice -- like leather with texture. But all 3 cracked at one or more of the corners, even without having been dropped or otherwise mishandled. :( I realized, after spending something a bit over $30 on 3 cheaper cases, I may as well just buy the Amazon one. So far it's been fine. Might be a tad heavier, but the plastic that holds it is better so I can live with that.
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline talleylynn

• Illinois
    • member 3486
      • View Profile
    « Reply #55 on: March 01, 2019, 02:35:49 pm »
    After posting, I noticed the origami cover had magnets in the front flap which held it in place when folded back for reading. The other case had the magnet bump on the side but it did not hold the cover in the bent back position. Does the Amazon cover magnetize to itself to hold it open?

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #56 on: March 02, 2019, 03:35:06 am »
    After posting, I noticed the origami cover had magnets in the front flap which held it in place when folded back for reading. The other case had the magnet bump on the side but it did not hold the cover in the bent back position. Does the Amazon cover magnetize to itself to hold it open?

I guess, sorta?

I don't see it as a feature, just a by product of the strength of the magents at the corners of the cover. But, yes, when it's all the way open and flat against the back, it is held there somewhat by the magnets.
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline talleylynn

• Illinois
    • member 3486
      • View Profile
    « Reply #57 on: March 06, 2019, 02:04:40 pm »
    After reading the reviews of the Amazon cases and considering the price, I decided to try a sleeve. I bought the one by Bear Motion and it has turned out to be perfect for my needs. It's flexible, lightweight and still gives serious protection when the kindle is out in the world - plus it fits both of my kindles. It also allows me to read my kindle naked like I'm used to doing. Thanks, Ann for your input while I made this decision.

Online Jane917

• Ridgefield, WA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #58 on: March 13, 2019, 07:18:06 pm »
    I tried several of the cheaper covers for the latest Paperwhite. All 3 had a plastic shell that held the kindle. The covers felt nice -- like leather with texture. But all 3 cracked at one or more of the corners, even without having been dropped or otherwise mishandled. :( I realized, after spending something a bit over $30 on 3 cheaper cases, I may as well just buy the Amazon one. So far it's been fine. Might be a tad heavier, but the plastic that holds it is better so I can live with that.

I have had my AC Dream case for about 5 months. I have noticed that all 4 plastic corners have cracked off, leaving rough edges. Which Amazon case did you buy?
    Words with Friends: Jane917

(Make your own reading bar)

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #59 on: March 14, 2019, 04:47:36 am »
    I have had my AC Dream case for about 5 months. I have noticed that all 4 plastic corners have cracked off, leaving rough edges. Which Amazon case did you buy?

I got this one, in blue.

It also comes in a red (which is kind of orangy), black, and merlot. It feels substantial and comfortable, without being too heavy, though I think it is a bit heavier than the 3rd party cases.

There's also a fabric option: which also comes in a yellow color and black, that is $10 less. I wanted a more leather-like feel. BUT, wasn't willing to spend even more for the 'premium leather' which only comes in brown.
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Online Jane917

• Ridgefield, WA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #60 on: March 14, 2019, 08:35:20 am »
    I got this one, in blue.

It also comes in a red (which is kind of orangy), black, and merlot. It feels substantial and comfortable, without being too heavy, though I think it is a bit heavier than the 3rd party cases.

There's also a fabric option: which also comes in a yellow color and black, that is $10 less. I wanted a more leather-like feel. BUT, wasn't willing to spend even more for the 'premium leather' which only comes in brown.

Thanks, Ann! I decided to go with the cloth color. Got sucked in by the yellow, reminding me that Spring might be around the corner.

Words with Friends: Jane917

(Make your own reading bar)

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #61 on: March 14, 2019, 09:57:59 am »
    Thanks, Ann! I decided to go with the cloth color. Got sucked in by the yellow, reminding me that Spring might be around the corner.

That is a very cool yellow! I almost went that way, too. ;)
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline KimberlyinMN

• NW Minnesota
    • Kindle Voyage Wi-Fi
      • View Profile
    « Reply #62 on: March 04, 2020, 08:00:20 am »
    When I had my Oasis 2, I liked the vertical stand case. The biggest benefit was laying in bed reading. If (when) I fell asleep, I wasnt dropping my Kindle against my head. With my new Paperwhite, I tried a book-style case but realized that I needed a vertical stand case, which I did get.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement