Author Topic: Glare issues  (Read 1045 times)  

Offline Paperbackstash

• View Profile
Glare issues
« on: November 09, 2018, 09:14:50 am »
I'm bummed. I keep running into glare issues with the new Paperwhite 4. The main reason I switched to E-Ink over Tablet was the anti-glare and be able to read in any light comfortably. Strangely that is not the case with my PW4. I have it sitting the same spot I always leave my PW3 to read (flat on the desk), but the glare from the overhead lights is making that impossible. I have run into glare in another room, and also major glare when shifted it outside.

I have smudges now on this screen, too - just get some eyeglass cloth to clean?
Kindles:
Inis Odyssey - PW4
Moonsliver - PW3
Nostromo - Fire HD 2nd Gen

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Linjeakel

• United Kingdom
    • Erm .....
      • View Profile
    Re: Glare issues
    « Reply #1 on: November 09, 2018, 10:10:15 am »
    I haven't noticed any glare issues as of yet, but the screen and bezel do seem to show fingerprints etc more than my Voyage does - or at least it seems harder to clean them off. 

I thought it was just me, but apparently not.
    Linda

Offline barryem

• View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: November 09, 2018, 10:40:20 am »
    I just got mine today and I've been setting it up and downloading books to it.  I don't see any glare at all.  I've been reading on both a Paperwhite 3 and a Voyage and this screen has no more glare than they do.

Do you have a screen protector on it that's providing glare?

Barry

Offline Paperbackstash

• View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: November 09, 2018, 11:24:19 am »
    I don't have a screen protector, those things always bug me even on phones.

I didn't have this issue last night in my bedroom but I didn't have the light right over me.  At my desk today I did have an overhead light that it's glaring off of like my Tablet does, and the second room where there is a small light behind me. 

I'm happy to report I did not experience issues in my car during lunch break, or in a shaded table during lunchbreak. Then again I usually don't get glare since it's shaded, even from phones and tablet devices. If I hold it straight up or slightly tilted and facing me directly, the glare disappears, but sometimes I like to leave it flat on the desk and read it - which is where the issue with the glare is showing up.

Was curious on others thoughts, I'm surprised I'm the first to mention this, but we don't have many reviews out yet from users.
    Kindles:
    Inis Odyssey - PW4
    Moonsliver - PW3

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
    • Not really a moderator. :)
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: November 09, 2018, 11:24:57 am »
    The only time I've noticed glare is when I have it at the wrong angle. I simply change the angle and it's not a problem. Don't notice the PW4 being any different to any other kindle I've had in that regard.

Also don't notice smudges, unless I really go looking. But I do like to keep my screens clean. I've got some of these -- stash 'em around wherever I usually read so there's always one handy.

My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline Paperbackstash

• View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: November 09, 2018, 11:25:34 am »
    I haven't noticed any glare issues as of yet, but the screen and bezel do seem to show fingerprints etc more than my Voyage does - or at least it seems harder to clean them off. 

I thought it was just me, but apparently not.

Yeah, mine is already filled with smudges and fingerprints. I'll have to find a cloth and figure out something without scratching the screen or making it more hazy. My tablet does the same thing, but I'm not used to this because I was so used to the PW3.
    Kindles:
    Inis Odyssey - PW4
    Moonsliver - PW3

Offline Paperbackstash

• View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: November 09, 2018, 11:36:52 am »
    The only time I've noticed glare is when I have it at the wrong angle. I simply change the angle and it's not a problem. Don't notice the PW4 being any different to any other kindle I've had in that regard.

Also don't notice smudges, unless I really go looking. But I do like to keep my screens clean. I've got some of these -- stash 'em around wherever I usually read so there's always one handy.

Unfortunately at my desk the light that is causing glare cannot be moved, and there is not a way for me to switch the angle when it's laying flat. I've tried moving it around a little, but I can't read it sideways. Picking it up and holding it away from the light gets rid of the glare, but I don't read like that at the desk so it's kind of counterproductive.

As for smudges, my son and I seem to have those smudgy fingers, must be our gross natural oils or something. I got used to being smudge free for awhile with reading with my paperwhite, but now it's back again with the new device. That was one thing I didn't miss from my old Kindle Fire that I have to get used to again. I think I'll get one of those small eyeglass cleaning cloths to carry around and see if that helps.

Is there a special cleaner to use that helps and is safe for these screens?
    Kindles:
    Inis Odyssey - PW4
    Moonsliver - PW3

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: November 09, 2018, 11:47:47 am »
    Unfortunately at my desk the light that is causing glare cannot be moved, and there is not a way for me to switch the angle when it's laying flat. I've tried moving it around a little, but I can't read it sideways. Picking it up and holding it away from the light gets rid of the glare, but I don't read like that at the desk so it's kind of counterproductive.

Does it have to be flat? Maybe some sort of slight wedge thing might fix the angle just enough to eliminate the glare?

As for smudges, my son and I seem to have those smudgy fingers, must be our gross natural oils or something. I got used to being smudge free for awhile with reading with my paperwhite, but now it's back again with the new device. That was one thing I didn't miss from my old Kindle Fire that I have to get used to again. I think I'll get one of those small eyeglass cleaning cloths to carry around and see if that helps.

Is there a special cleaner to use that helps and is safe for these screens?

My phone screen makes me nuts . . . but kindle screens not so much. I guess I only notice the smudges when I go looking. Anyway, the fuzzy fingers thing works for me. I just breathe open mouthed and then wipe the 'fog'. O'course, since the PW4 is waterproof, you could just wash it now and again! :D

I expect any basic eyeglass lens cleaner would work without a problem.
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline Paperbackstash

• View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: November 09, 2018, 11:55:09 am »
    Does it have to be flat? Maybe some sort of slight wedge thing might fix the angle just enough to eliminate the glare?

It's just how I've always read on my desk, so it was kind of bugging me updating the Paperwhite meant I had to change reading habits. I don't have anything I use to prop it, but I'll figure it out. It's not a dealbreaker  in exchange the waterproofing. I may just not be able to read in this spot anymore with the PW4's screen, it apparently hates fluorescent lighting! Of course, don't we all?
    Kindles:
    Inis Odyssey - PW4
    Moonsliver - PW3

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • Member #1600 since January 15, 2009
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: November 09, 2018, 12:56:56 pm »
    I've not had a problem with glare on any of my e-ink Kindles, but I wonder if brightening or increasing the light setting would help.

Offline ShinyTop

• Pensacola
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: November 09, 2018, 02:15:51 pm »
    When reading at my desk I have not noticed glare but I sometimes get tired of holding my Oasis but I don't like to lay it flat.  I use this holder which also works with tablets up to 10 inches.  https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Portable-Multi-Angle-Smartphones-Compatible/dp/B00N1VDCGO/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1541801519&sr=8-10&keywords=tablet+stands

If you do a search for tablet stand on Amazon you will see some cheaper and a bunch more expensive. 
    Its unlucky to be superstitious.

Offline CS

• Parts Unknown
    • Five-Star Ranking Agent 337
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: November 09, 2018, 04:13:39 pm »
    The glare is no worse for me on the PW4 than it was on the PW2. As others have said, it depends on the angle. For the most part, I read at 10 brightness in my bedroom with the PW4 either flat on the bed or slightly tilted if I want to lay on my side.

I am definitely noticing more fingerprints and smudges though. I don't know if that's because the device is newer and I'm more particular about it, or if it is indeed more noticeable on the PW4.

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: November 09, 2018, 04:22:42 pm »
    I do think the screen material is different on the PW4 than on earlier PWs -- more like the screen on the Voyage, which is what I'm comparing to (never had a PW) so perhaps that's why I don't notice it.
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline gaidinsgirl

• View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: November 09, 2018, 05:08:10 pm »
    The only time I have had a glare was when I was sitting directly in front of an open window. I tilted it a bit and it was fine.

The smudges though. Ugh. I have a Voyage and I never noticed so many on it. I feel like Im continuously wiping smudges off this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline tsemple

• View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: November 09, 2018, 05:31:37 pm »
    Folks, you should be using Reading Gloves if fingerprints bother you.

Flush screens are much easier to clean off, in any case.

Offline Fogeydc

• View Profile
    « Reply #15 on: November 09, 2018, 05:42:23 pm »

Try sticking a pencil or small folder/book under the end away from you, that may change the angle "just enough" but still seem pretty flat.
    Cheap & easy to try, anyways.

Offline barryem

• View Profile
    « Reply #16 on: November 10, 2018, 09:24:46 am »
    I just did a little testing.  I normally keep the room light off when I'm at the computer or reading so I turned it on.  I still didn't see any glare until I moved it to just the right angle to the overhead light.  Then it became difficult to read.  It had to be kept carefully at just the right angle so it should certainly be easy to avoid, at least here where I only have a single overhead light.  I can see where it might be worse in an office with lights all over the ceiling.

I tried the same thing with my Voyage and my Paperwhite 3 as well as my Paperwhite 4 and they were all about the same.  You might bring your shotgun to work and shoot out the lights.  If they say anything explain that they interfered with your reading. :)

Barry

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #17 on: November 10, 2018, 11:06:34 am »
    I just did a little testing.  I normally keep the room light off when I'm at the computer or reading so I turned it on.  I still didn't see any glare until I moved it to just the right angle to the overhead light.  Then it became difficult to read.  It had to be kept carefully at just the right angle so it should certainly be easy to avoid, at least here where I only have a single overhead light.  I can see where it might be worse in an office with lights all over the ceiling.

I tried the same thing with my Voyage and my Paperwhite 3 as well as my Paperwhite 4 and they were all about the same.  You might bring your shotgun to work and shoot out the lights.  If they say anything explain that they interfered with your reading. :)

Barry

Kboards cannot endorse gunfire in the workplace -- even for such a reason! :o :)
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline barryem

• View Profile
    « Reply #18 on: November 10, 2018, 11:52:55 am »
    >> Kboards cannot endorse gunfire in the workplace

Not even to improve your reading experience?  What if you only have 2 pages to go on a book that's a real cliffhanger? :)

Barry

Offline ShinyTop

• Pensacola
      • View Profile
    « Reply #19 on: November 11, 2018, 07:50:19 am »
    Learn to rappel?
    Its unlucky to be superstitious.

Offline Paperbackstash

• View Profile
    « Reply #20 on: November 14, 2018, 09:20:51 am »

Barry

Yes, it's a large light I can't escape from.

The shotgun idea may be the best solution.  ;D
    Kindles:
    Inis Odyssey - PW4
    Moonsliver - PW3

Offline Paperbackstash

• View Profile
    « Reply #21 on: November 14, 2018, 09:24:33 am »
    Try sticking a pencil or small folder/book under the end away from you, that may change the angle "just enough" but still seem pretty flat.
    Cheap & easy to try, anyways.

I tried some propping, but I can only get rid of the glare in this room by tilting it almost standing up. I propped a cell phone holder under it and even that wasn't enough. Oh well, life goes on, I'll just ignore it in this space and find a new reading spot. *twitches*
    Kindles:
    Inis Odyssey - PW4
    Moonsliver - PW3

Offline Paperbackstash

• View Profile
    « Reply #22 on: November 14, 2018, 09:25:08 am »
    On the plus side, I've had some nice reading baths this week.
    Kindles:
    Inis Odyssey - PW4
    Moonsliver - PW3

Offline barryem

• View Profile
    « Reply #23 on: November 14, 2018, 05:04:22 pm »
    There are some covers that close from the top instead of the side.  I don't know if any are available for the PW4 yet but if there are you might think about using one of those and holding it in a position to block the light.  Or maybe wear a hat with a very large brim.  Or get an umbrella. :)

Barry

KBoards.com

• Advertisement