Author Topic: Thousands of ebooks pulled off Amazon?  (Read 9017 times)  

Offline AmesburyArcher

• U.K.
    • View Profile
Re: Thousands of ebooks pulled off Amazon?
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2018, 08:23:00 am »
Almost all my Kindle editions are missing from the amazon.co.uk, my amazon.com Kindle editions are still there.
Vesela, I can put your mind at rest...I just checked your books on Amazon uk and they are all there.
 It seems to be a viewing problem between countries.
Author of books both historical and fantastical-Stonehenge, Arthurian, Richard III, English queens & mistresses, Robin Hood, dystopian Canada (!) and more...
Author of historical fiction & historical fantasy
J.P. Reedman | fb | fb | fb | fb

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Tobias Roote

• View Profile
    « Reply #26 on: November 10, 2018, 08:23:10 am »
    My sales are down yesterday and today. Good up to then. I've just gone in and changed the prices slightly to re-publish the books and see if it sorts the issue.
    Want to sell your books on a dedicated Sci-Fi website? Click the link and join up here.

SF Book Review

Offline anotherpage

• View Profile
    « Reply #27 on: November 10, 2018, 08:26:37 am »
    Hi

I woke up this morning and two of my ebooks have been pulled for sale from Amazon.com. I checked my competitors as well as ebooks in other categories and they have also been pulled down too. There are ebooks in the top 100 charts that have been pulled too. I checked my KDP account and the ebook status is 'live', but when I click the link to the ebook on Amazon.com, there is no buy box for the Kindle edition -- only for the paperback edition.

Has this happened to you too? What is going on?

I've seen this with some major names ( traditional world too ) I thought their publisher had pulled them but nope. All their books are there except kindle

I will go check mine now

Offline AnnaMara

• View Profile
    « Reply #28 on: November 10, 2018, 08:51:03 am »
    I'm in Canada. I just used your suggestion and went through a US VPN and sure enough, all of my kindles are showing up for sale on amazon.com. But when I browse amazon.com from Canada, they're not showing up. Thanks for the tip, btw.

Anna Mara

Offline anotherpage

• View Profile
    « Reply #29 on: November 10, 2018, 09:01:34 am »
    yeah it appears when you view through VPN the books are there on amazon.com But what is weird is that without the VPN ( you can see some but not view others) very odd.

Offline AmesburyArcher

• U.K.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #30 on: November 10, 2018, 09:01:58 am »
    Wow there is about 15 of my books gone. Great. Weird part is if this is IP related and they are still there. Why can i see the others in the series? Its like its showing some and not others?
    That's the weird, random bit...however, my friend in the US  screen-shot one of my books that I can't see...and everything is normal her end.
    Author of books both historical and fantastical-Stonehenge, Arthurian, Richard III, English queens & mistresses, Robin Hood, dystopian Canada (!) and more...

Offline jb1111

• PNW US
      • View Profile
    « Reply #31 on: November 10, 2018, 09:08:46 am »
    Mine are missing.

I see both of the books in your signature line for sale.

PS I'm in the US. Must be a US store vs. overseas store display issue.

Offline Tobias Roote

• View Profile
    « Reply #32 on: November 10, 2018, 09:45:38 am »
    I see both of the books in your signature line for sale.

PS I'm in the US. Must be a US store vs. overseas store display issue.

Why would it show book 1 & 4 in my series but not show books 2 & 3 illogical to the extreme.
    Want to sell your books on a dedicated Sci-Fi website? Click the link and join up here.

SF Book Review

Offline Patrick Skelton

• Columbus, OH
    • Patrick Skelton Author of The Solar Flare Crisis
      • View Profile
      • www.patrickskelton.com
    « Reply #33 on: November 10, 2018, 09:47:11 am »
    Wow, this news is very disturbing.  I'm just getting ready to publish a new novel. I hope there aren't any issues.  :(
    « Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 09:58:05 am by Patrick Skelton »

Offline ImaWriter

• Canada
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34 on: November 10, 2018, 10:21:36 am »
    I'm in Canada. I just used your suggestion and went through a US VPN and sure enough, all of my kindles are showing up for sale on amazon.com. But when I browse amazon.com from Canada, they're not showing up. Thanks for the tip, btw.

Interesting, because I'm in Canada and can see my books are on .com just like I always do. Which lends to the thought that this isn't just tied to your IP address (country). It may have something to do with your account as well.

Offline AmesburyArcher

• U.K.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #35 on: November 10, 2018, 10:28:28 am »
    Whatever it is, it is affecting thousands of books including the Big Five....

Offline I'm a Little Teapot

• I am very awesome.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #36 on: November 10, 2018, 11:16:07 am »
    I can see mine all just fine, but a reader sent me a screen shot telling her one of mine is unavailable. Two different people, same country, same store, and one sees it just fine and one not. Crazy.

Offline Lydniz

• UK
      • View Profile
      • Credentials
    « Reply #37 on: November 10, 2018, 11:52:40 am »
    My latest isn't showing up in a search, although as far as I can tell it's still actually there.

Offline PublisherP

• View Profile
    « Reply #38 on: November 10, 2018, 12:26:55 pm »
    I have published a new book today and I couldn't find it on Amazon.com.

However, I could find it by changing my location to the USA in the 'content and devices' section of my account.

As other users have pointed out, I could also find the book by using a VPN set to a US location.

So, I don't think this is a 'bug'.

I think it might be an intended change to prevent fraudulent reviews.

As for why this only affects 'some' kindle books and not others, this might be something to do with the 'review' history of the book i.e. have a certain amount of reviews been posted on a book by accounts that have been subsequently banned for review swapping? If yes, then this might prevent the book from being visible out the US as a kind of 'safety mechanism' because this is where the majority of fake reviews come from i.e. Asia.

I could be wrong here, but it is just a theory.

It might just be a 'bug', but I believe it's something more calculated and intended, and possibly a permanent change from here onward.
    « Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 12:31:02 pm by PublisherP »

Offline tknite

• USA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #39 on: November 10, 2018, 01:15:31 pm »
    This is not a new "glitch" (and frankly, I'm not entirely sure it IS a glitch, based on my exchanges with the KDP service reps). A few weeks back, there WAS a glitch where random books were showing up as "unavailable" in the US store to US customers. As far as I know, that issue has now been rectified--one of my titles was affected but went back on sale in a couple days--but watching the availability behavior of books over the past couple weeks, I'm becoming more and more convinced that that original glitch was an accident caused by intentional changes to regional book availability that Amazon is currently in the process of making.

When I released my latest book on 11/2, I got emails from multiple non-US readers who frequently purchase books in the US store, telling me that my new release was showing as unavailable to them. Sure enough, when using a proxy server from their countries, the book does indeed show up as "unavailable."

Looking further, I found that if I go to my KDP dashboard, hover over the LIVE indicator, and click through to "See title availability details," my new release (and, in fact, all my books now--because it's SPREADING) are showing up as "Limited Availability" on the US and UK sites. Clicking the dropdown shows that there are numerous countries whose residents cannot purchase my books in those stores, and that includes people from Australia and New Zealand.

Interestingly, the availability of my books in the US store to AU/NZ residents keeps alternating. They were available again the other day, then suddenly switched back to unavailable again today. I have no clue what that's all about, or why the regional unavailability doesn't ever apply to every book in the store, just a seemingly random assortment.

Anyway, after my readers started emailing me, I emailed KDP, and after a bit of back and forth, I got this interesting runaround answer:

Limited Availability :

As you can see under "Limited Availability "there are few countries where your eBook is not available for sale.

Kindles and Kindle content are currently unavailable in those countries because of country/region specific restrictions, your title is not available on those locations.

We value our international customers and hope to make Kindles and related content available in more locations in the future.

I found that last line particularly interesting, because I know for a fact my books WERE available to people in those regions as recently as a few weeks ago, and I also know for a fact that many books still ARE available to residents from those regions in the US store. It's all very...odd.

Now, I'm not going to claim I have any idea what Amazon is plotting behind the scenes, but I'm struggling to figure out how this unavailability issue, which has now persisted for weeks, can actually be some random problem introduced by a glitch in the system. The longer it goes on, and the more answers like the above I received from KDP, the more I'm convinced this is in fact the result of planned, large-scale regional availability changes on Amazon's part (changes that, like all major Amazon updates, have resulted in glitchy and inconsistent behavior in the stores).

That's my two cents, anyway. I may be totally off base, but that's the best I can come up with.
    « Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 01:27:14 pm by tknite »

Offline Andy_Blinston

• View Profile
      • AndyBlinston.com
    « Reply #40 on: November 10, 2018, 01:20:35 pm »
    My book is showing the same thing. It's not on Amazon.com when I view from the UK but appears when viewed from the US. Weird.

Andy Blinston | My website

Offline 9 Diamonds

• View Profile
      • 9 Diamonds Press
    « Reply #41 on: November 10, 2018, 02:14:23 pm »
    Two of our titles -- one a pre-order -- are also suffering this fate. I've written to Amazon and hope for a resolution soon.

Offline Tilly

• View Profile
    « Reply #42 on: November 10, 2018, 03:13:45 pm »
    Interesting, because I'm in Canada and can see my books are on .com just like I always do. Which lends to the thought that this isn't just tied to your IP address (country). It may have something to do with your account as well.

I don't think this is it. I have shopped the .com store for years (I'm outside the US, had an Amazon account since 1997) and have found over the last few weeks an increasing number of titles I can't purchase, or even find in the store. This morning I checked my author page and found half my titles have vanished and there is no longer a kindle version available. My old (2015) series starter and all my releases for this year have gone and a couple of other older titles. Using a VPN they are still there for US customers looking at the US store but they are gone for readers outside the US who shop the US store  >:(

Offline AmesburyArcher

• U.K.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #43 on: November 10, 2018, 03:38:33 pm »
    More of mine are just showing the paperback edition in the US. I have a countdown sale on one and it IS selling, so some people must be able to see it.

Offline Jackson Lear

• View Profile
      • Website
    « Reply #44 on: November 10, 2018, 03:48:18 pm »
    I had this issue last week with a book in the UK (I'm in Australia). Amazon support assured me it was available for purchase and sure enough I was soon selling UK ebooks. Last night I noticed the same thing with a new release in the US, yet I sold some US copies today. Ten minutes ago I sold another US copy despite it supposedly being 'unavailable'. I'm keeping an eye on things and I'll be quick to turn off ads but so far it seems like an issue only because I'm on the other side of the planet.

Fantasy, Horror, Dystopian, Mystery
    Jackson Lear | Website | Facebook | Twitter

Offline ImaWriter

• Canada
      • View Profile
    « Reply #45 on: November 10, 2018, 04:59:26 pm »
    I don't think this is it. I have shopped the .com store for years (I'm outside the US, had an Amazon account since 1997) and have found over the last few weeks an increasing number of titles I can't purchase, or even find in the store. This morning I checked my author page and found half my titles have vanished and there is no longer a kindle version available. My old (2015) series starter and all my releases for this year have gone and a couple of other older titles. Using a VPN they are still there for US customers looking at the US store but they are gone for readers outside the US who shop the US store  >:(

I've tried to find it, but can't. I'm sure there was talk a year or so ago of them wanting to force shoppers to use their local stores. I've had my .com account for nearly as long as you've had yours, and despite the constant hounding from them since they opened shop here, I've never moved. Maybe they've hit on a way to off-load people.

So far none of my books say they're unavailable in Canada, but a few are showing not available in Australia and GB. So I guess it's only time.

Offline RinG

• Brisbane, Australia
      • View Profile
    « Reply #46 on: November 10, 2018, 05:09:18 pm »
    I'm seeing the same thing on one of my ebooks. Every other book is fine, but just one won't show as available to me. It obviously is still available, because it's still selling, very irritating if it's a country thing. (I'm in Australia.)

Interestingly enough yesterday I had a prompt to switch to the .au store. Haven't had one of those in months.

Offline Escapee

• Australia
      • View Profile
    « Reply #47 on: November 10, 2018, 05:49:41 pm »
    I'm in Australia and I'm having the same problem with one of my books not showing up on the US store. It disappeared a few hours before an ad was supposed to run. I thought it was going to bomb completely and be a total waste of money, but I've had 2700 downloads in the US, so I'm assuming the book is visible there even though I still can't see it. It's a relief that the book isn't gone, but this hasn't been much good for my stress levels  :-\

Offline Ancient Lawyer

• UK
    • Winterbloom
      • View Profile
      • shamansland
    « Reply #48 on: November 10, 2018, 05:50:20 pm »
    My (one) book is missing from amazon.com - the amazon.co.uk kindle version is there. I don't have a VPN - unless using the anonymous browser in Chrome will achieve the same effect...?

Jessica Rydill | shamansland | Facebook

Offline Hope

• View Profile
    « Reply #49 on: November 10, 2018, 08:16:11 pm »
    I spoke to someone in the IT department at Amazon yesterday regarding the missing link for my series. He said there were a large number of author's books missing the link and it was an IT issue on their end. He had it restored for me within a few hours. We've seen a lot of different things going on lately and I really think it may all be due to a widespread IT issue. The initial Amazon customer service reps just don't understand what's going on. I had them telling me all kinds of things as the reason for the missing link, but when I talked to someone in that department, he assured me it was an Amazon issue and had nothing to do with anything I was or wasn't doing. When you email them, make sure you copy and paste all correspondence you've had between you and them so that they can see what the reps are telling you. I really felt like they were embarrassed it went on as long as it did and also by the things the reps had been telling me. Hopefully they will get these issues resolved quickly.

ETA: The guy in IT told me that my series page was there, it just wasn't searchable. That's why I wonder if the missing books have something similar going on.
    « Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 08:55:21 pm by Hope »

KBoards.com

• Advertisement