Author Topic: One week in with the new PW4. Question to those multi e-reader users.  (Read 1136 times)  

Offline northofdivision

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
I'm impressed with the upgrade and like the flushed bezel and it's a pleasant and zippy reader. But.  I'm having trouble finding a place for it in my e-reading routine. For those of you with multiple e-readers, have you stopped using your Oasis models or your Voyage entirely? May be giving this PW4 to a co-worker. Someone please tell me you've been utilizing its water resistant features somehow... I poured about a half gallon of water on it just cause but immediately dried it like it was going to melt. Haha.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 06:44:22 am by northofdivision »
Stanley
=====
Google Pixel, Ipad Mini4/5
Kindle 2,3G,4,PW2, Voyage, Oasis, Oasis 7"
Kobo HD Glo, Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura One 8", Likebook 8", Sony 5" PRS-350 w/multi-font/Zork hack

(Make your own reading bar)

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline jkingrph

• View Profile
    Re: One week in with the new PW4. Question to those multi e-reader users.
    « Reply #1 on: November 14, 2018, 06:55:57 am »
    I purchased mine with the idea of leaving either it or my Voyage plugged in out in my truck in case I go off and forget one.  I think the touchscreen is a little more sensitive than my Voyage, I tended to shift between page turn buttons and touch screen on the Voyage.   If I want to go back a page the PW4 is not as convenient as the back button on the Voyage.   That's somewhat minor so I can be happy with either.  I prefer to keep the Oasis at home because the battery life is not what it should be IMHO, I tend to read off and on all day and it goes down rather quickly, so I need to be near a power source, plug in or carry a back battery to recharge.   Size and handling, if it were not for different cover materials on the two, and the lack of buttons I see no discernable difference between it and the Voyage.

Offline northofdivision

• Los Angeles
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: November 14, 2018, 07:02:30 am »
    I purchased mine with the idea of leaving either it or my Voyage plugged in out in my truck in case I go off and forget one.  I think the touchscreen is a little more sensitive than my Voyage, I tended to shift between page turn buttons and touch screen on the Voyage.   If I want to go back a page the PW4 is not as convenient as the back button on the Voyage.   That's somewhat minor so I can be happy with either.  I prefer to keep the Oasis at home because the battery life is not what it should be IMHO, I tend to read off and on all day and it goes down rather quickly, so I need to be near a power source, plug in or carry a back battery to recharge.   Size and handling, if it were not for different cover materials on the two, and the lack of buttons I see no discernable difference between it and the Voyage.

Good point about the battery life. I find myself charging my two Oasis models more often than i'd like. And agree, I am a big fan of the back buttons on Voyage and Oasis models. The haptic on the Voyage I wish was on the Oasis 7". No car (Brooklyn) but on the go and subways I usually throw my 5" Sony PRS350 or my baby Kindle in my pocket. If I lost either it wouldn't be much of a big deal as I could replace either for 20 bucks but this PW4 is too nice for me to be throwing around in my backpacks. Really like the idea of having a reader on standby in one's car. Good stuff.
    Stanley
    =====
    Kobo HD Glo, Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura One 8", Likebook 8", Sony 5" PRS-350 w/multi-font/Zork hack

Offline gaidinsgirl

• View Profile
    One week in with the new PW4. Question to those multi e-reader users.
    « Reply #3 on: November 14, 2018, 08:05:51 am »
    I wanted this PW4 for the text to speech (voice view) and the waterproof part for summer. I still like my voyage best, but I've been keeping the Voyage by my bed and I use the PW4 during the day.

I considered selling the Voyage, but I don't feel I'd get the $$ I'd want for it, so I'll just use it as a bedside reader.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
    • Not really a moderator. :)
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: November 14, 2018, 08:53:57 am »
    I'm impressed with the upgrade and like the flushed bezel and it's a pleasant and zippy reader. But.  I'm having trouble finding a place for it in my e-reading routine. For those of you with multiple e-readers, have you stopped using your Oasis models or your Voyage entirely? May be giving this PW4 to a co-worker. Someone please tell me you've been utilizing its water resistant features somehow... I poured about a half gallon of water on it just cause but immediately dried it like it was going to melt. Haha.

I have 4 kindles.

My primary one is a Voyage and lives in my purse. Before the PW4, I'd also carry it around the house to read wherever.

With the PW4, that will be my 'in house' reader. So mostly it's downstairs where I mostly read, but I bring it up by the computer at night so I can plug it in before bed if needed.

My Oasis (7") lives on my nightstand and I use it exclusively for reading at night. It works because I can snuggle in and still turn pages with my hands under the covers since it has buttons. :)

The 2nd Voyage is my husbands ... and also my back up. So it lives next to his spot or is tucked in his cubby and he takes it if he's going somewhere and will need something to do.
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline Linjeakel

• United Kingdom
    • Erm .....
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: November 14, 2018, 08:58:40 am »
    I haven't used my PW4 that much yet because I don't have a cover for it and I'm too nervous. Non Amazon covers aren't available yet in the UK and as much as I like the book-style Amazon covers, I'd like to get something cheaper like a Fintie.

I also have a Voyage (amongst others) and my intention is to use one at home and one out and about. Since the Voyage has 3g I'll probably use that one when I'm not at home. The other older ones have mostly been for "emergency" use like when I've forgotten to recharge my primary reader or simply can't be bothered to go upstairs to fetch it!  :o
    Linda

Offline northofdivision

• Los Angeles
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: November 14, 2018, 03:38:05 pm »
    I wanted this PW4 for the text to speech (voice view) and the waterproof part for summer. I still like my voyage best, but I've been keeping the Voyage by my bed and I use the PW4 during the day.

I considered selling the Voyage, but I don't feel I'd get the $$ I'd want for it, so I'll just use it as a bedside reader.

Do love having a bedside reader.
    Stanley
    =====

Offline northofdivision

• Los Angeles
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: November 14, 2018, 03:39:23 pm »
    I have 4 kindles.

My primary one is a Voyage and lives in my purse. Before the PW4, I'd also carry it around the house to read wherever.

With the PW4, that will be my 'in house' reader.

Do you use the Voyage buttons at all? Do you miss them on the PW4, Ann
    Stanley
    =====

Offline barryem

• View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: November 14, 2018, 04:55:46 pm »
    I got the PW4 mostly because I just wanted it.  I already have several Kindles and other ereaders.  I'd been saving for a new laptop and I decided to use some of that money for a Paperwhite and wait a little longer for the laptop.  Also, my Voyage is a few years old now and who knows how long it'll last.

I live in a HUD subsidized retirement home and a couple of our long time tenants have recently gone into nursing homes.  One has Wifi.  The other Doesn't.  My health is still okay but at 78 who knows how long that'll last.  If I do end up in a place with no Wifi I want 3G and I don't want my reader to be too old.

I've been going back and forth between the PW4 and the Voyage and I'm finding I don't really care which I use.  It's about the book, not the device.  I rarely remember to use the Page Press on the Voyage so I never miss it on the PW4.

I also have a Nook Glowlight 3 with page turn buttons and I do sometimes use the buttons on that thing.  I've been stuffing it with books from a variety of sources so I'll always have something to read handy.

The Nook has the advantage of having a noticeably better screen than any of my Kindles.  It uses infra-red touch sensors and that means the screen doesn't have the touch sensitive coating most ereaders have, which makes it shaper and have better contrast.  There are also some serious problems with it's design but for simply reading what's on the page it's the best I've ever seen.  I don't think even a paper book can compete.  It won't replace my Kindles unless I'm someday nearly blind but then it just might.

I bought the Voyage originally to have something smaller to carry with me but about a year or so ago I began using my phone for that so now the Voyage is just another ereader to me.

Barry

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
    • Not really a moderator. :)
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: November 14, 2018, 05:49:38 pm »
    Do you use the Voyage buttons at all? Do you miss them on the PW4, Ann

I do sometimes . . . depends how I hold it. I do occasionally push the edge of the PW4 to make the page turn. ::) And, of course, it doesn't. :D

Where I really miss 'em is when I'm going to my library as on the PW4 I have to go by touching the 'your library' link on the home page. On the voyage and Oasis the buttons work to go there.

But, really, there's not a lot of difference and I adjust to which one I have pretty easily.
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline tsemple

• View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: November 14, 2018, 06:12:03 pm »
    I have switched from Voyage to PW4 as my primary eReader device. The Voyage is now my Foreign Language Studies device, where I try to improve my Russian and Spanish literacy. English on the PW4 for quick reference.

I think the Voyage display looks slightly better, but it is not enough to deter me from using PW4, which is very good, and I think I will use VoiceView more with PW4 since I dont have to carry another wired headset around (I have Lightning headset, but adapters seemingly do not exist to plug that into female 3.5mm stereo jack).

I miss the automatic light adjustment some, but not the haptic page turn buttons. The thing I find disappointing about page turn buttons on Voyage (and I assume Oasis) is that they dont do anything in contexts where they should do something (page through Kindle Store search results, scroll scrolling views, etc.). Things that Kindle Keyboard page turn buttons used to do.

I keep sending kindle-feedback suggestion to add Bluetooth keyboard profile so you can connect a keyboard and use that for navigation (at least page turns) and typing. But it must be a low priority.

Offline johnw

• View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: November 15, 2018, 11:09:46 am »
    Hi. I like the new Kindle very much actually. Where I use it or when isn't really a problem as I only have another Paperwhite anyway. I bought the new one because I needed Audible as I have a problem with one of my eyes and I am limited to the amount of reading I can do. I must say though that when my new Kindle was delivered last week, I had to send it back after two days as the battery was just draining even if I never turned the Kindle on. My new one is better but the battery does not last long although it doesn't drain when not in use. I use Audible a lot and I suppose that will drain the battery quicker than just reading.

Offline northofdivision

• Los Angeles
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: November 16, 2018, 10:02:20 am »
    I got the PW4 mostly because I just wanted it.  I already have several Kindles and other ereaders. 
    Barry

That's awesome, Barry. You never have to worry about being away from good books. Of all the hardware I own (Surfaces, Macbooks, Desktops, etc, the E-readers are the most indispensible). Good choice.
    Stanley
    =====

Offline northofdivision

• Los Angeles
      • View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: November 16, 2018, 10:06:42 am »

I keep sending kindle-feedback suggestion to add Bluetooth keyboard profile so you can connect a keyboard and use that for navigation (at least page turns) and typing. But it must be a low priority.

Sounds like you got it all in pretty good order. Never thought about the haptic buttons in that regard so good point. Keyboard on a Kindle. Sadly don't think that'll ever happen but if you want a bluetooth keyboard connected to an e-reader, pick up a Lifebook Mars. One of the only readers where it works perfectly.

I wonder if they'll ever come out with a non wedge Kindle with buttons again. I hope so.
    Stanley
    =====

Offline northofdivision

• Los Angeles
      • View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: November 16, 2018, 10:08:24 am »
    Hi. I like the new Kindle very much actually. Where I use it or when isn't really a problem as I only have another Paperwhite anyway. I bought the new one because I needed Audible as I have a problem with one of my eyes and I am limited to the amount of reading I can do. I must say though that when my new Kindle was delivered last week, I had to send it back after two days as the battery was just draining even if I never turned the Kindle on. My new one is better but the battery does not last long although it doesn't drain when not in use. I use Audible a lot and I suppose that will drain the battery quicker than just reading.

It's nice to hear someone utilizing the Audible feature. I really like having it on my Kindle but I default to my phone for audio.
    Stanley
    =====

Offline CS

• Parts Unknown
    • Five-Star Ranking Agent 337
      • View Profile
    « Reply #15 on: November 16, 2018, 01:28:11 pm »
    I had to send it back after two days as the battery was just draining even if I never turned the Kindle on. My new one is better but the battery does not last long although it doesn't drain when not in use.

When you say the battery would drain when not in use, how badly are you talking about?

With my PW4, I find it will drain 2-3% each night. I'm not sure if that's because I download 1-2 new books each day and read a few chapters a night. I don't keep wi-fi on, I don't use bluetooth, and I didn't import my collection from the cloud when I first got it - I started with a blank slate and just downloaded a few collection folders onto the device (just the folders, not even the books in them) along with 1-2 books to read.

The new battery percentage is probably making me notice drain I otherwise wouldn't have before, but still, I hope what I'm describing is fairly normal behavior. Oddly enough, after the first charge (with wi-fi on) the first day I got it, the battery was 96% but increased to 98% when I started reading that night (I turned wi-fi off right after charging). I wonder if my Kindle's battery is still "learning"?
    « Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 01:30:15 pm by CS »

Offline Linjeakel

• United Kingdom
    • Erm .....
      • View Profile
    « Reply #16 on: November 16, 2018, 03:34:42 pm »
    I knew I wouldn't have a chance of getting any reading done today so I did a test.

I left both my Voyage and my PW4 untouched in sleep mode with wireless on for 12 hours.

The Voyage battery has dropped by 3% and the PW4 by 8%. Make of that what you will.   ::)
    Linda

KBoards.com

• Advertisement