Author Topic: The Secret to Your Egg Salad  (Read 434 times)  

Offline Nina Huffney

• USA
    • View Profile
    • Nina Huffney on Blogger
The Secret to Your Egg Salad
« on: September 30, 2019, 09:40:21 am »
I'm planning to whip up a batch of egg salad, later, and I'm wondering if I should shake things up. In addition to the usual mayo, salt, and pepper, I've also been using a little yellow mustard and curry powder.

For sandwiches, despite all those pretty pictures online, I usually forego the lettuce/greens. This is where I'd add bacon - laying a strip or two, or three, during the sandwich assembly rather than mixing it in. Ripe tomato slices are a plus if they're on hand.

Thoughts, suggestions, or denunciations?

« Last Edit: September 30, 2019, 09:42:37 am by Nina Huffney »

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • Member #1600 since January 15, 2009
      • View Profile
    Re: The Secret to Your Egg Salad
    « Reply #1 on: September 30, 2019, 10:09:48 am »
    I always add mustard to egg or potato salad and my preference is this:

(link for brand picture purposes only, I would never pay the Amazon prices for a mustard available everywhere at regular store prices)

I've been known to add a little sweet/hot pickle juice, and chopped capers are a yummy change of pace.  I love curried egg salad and capers are an automatic add if I'm using curry.  Personally, I like the crunch of lettuce for a sandwich and that it provides a barrier against the bread becoming soggy. 

I agree that everything is better with bacon and you can never go wrong with tomato slices on any sandwich, IMHO. 

What time is lunch going to be ready?  ;)

Offline Nina Huffney

• USA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: September 30, 2019, 10:42:30 am »
    You know, crebel, I don't think I've ever knowingly eaten capers. Have I been missing out all this time? And the anti-sog quality of lettuce is a good point.

I readily admit to having an unevolved mustard-palate. You could say it's a grain of contention in my household. It's also why there are four different mustard containers in our fridge. :D

Offline NogDog

• View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: September 30, 2019, 12:38:00 pm »
    I always use mustard. Don't ask me how much, though it's not a whole lot: I just add mayo*, salt, pepper, and mustard until it tastes right.

I do NOT add celery or other crunchy things to it like some people do. Yuck!

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: September 30, 2019, 01:22:08 pm »
    I always use mustard. Don't ask me how much, though it's not a whole lot: I just add mayo*, salt, pepper, and mustard until it tastes right.

I do NOT add celery or other crunchy things to it like some people do. Yuck!

Truth!

Offline Nina Huffney

• USA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: September 30, 2019, 11:53:57 pm »
    I used to be fine with any old (figurately speaking) mayo until my partner convinced me that Hellman's ('Best Foods' here) is best.

Pickle juice was mentioned upthread and while I haven't tried that, I have tried minced dill pickle, relish, and Thousand Island dressing in the past. All worked well, IMO.

I often have to remind myself of what goes in where since I get confused when putting together a batch of egg salad, tuna salad, or potato salad. While I like ham with egg and potato, I don't necessarily want it with tuna!*

* Gee, that sounds narrowminded. I suppose I should try the combination sometime. Who knows? I might actually like it.

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: October 01, 2019, 05:42:12 am »
    I've never considered Thousand Island in egg or potato salad, that might be interesting to try.  Now that you mention it, my "dressings" are pretty darn similar for either egg or potato salad - I guess my egg salad is potato-less potato salad!   ::) ;D

Hellman's/Best Food mayonnaise is one of three things I buy that I insist on a specific name brand.  Bootjes for brown mustard and Daisy for sour cream are the others.

Offline loonlover

• Arkansas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: October 01, 2019, 07:26:05 am »
    Okay, I have to be different as I use Miracle Whip for egg and potato salad, along with mustard. Both also usually have sweet pickle relish added as well as onion in the potato salad. I also add celery seed to both. My dad did not like mustard but somehow never noticed that it was in my potato salad and I certainly never mentioned it.

Offline Nina Huffney

• USA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: October 03, 2019, 09:04:57 am »
    loonlover, that's an interesting observation. When it comes to potato salad, especially, I think one can successfully slip in all sorts of things that might normally put people off.

I'm not too picky when eating potato salad but when making it, I used to do it 'loaded' - with cheddar cheese, green onion, and bacon. These days, I prefer the Japanese style in which the potatoes are slightly mashed and combined with cooked carrot, salt-pickled cucumber, sliced onion, chopped ham, a couple of chopped boiled eggs, rice vinegar, and mayo. This is a representative recipe but it omits the eggs. Of course, Partner isn't on board with that due to his German heritage. ::) Actually, I really enjoy German potato salads, as well.

crebel, I hear you on brand names. I mostly don't bother with brand-loyalty, but some things are just better, right?

Offline Betty Blast

• View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: October 04, 2019, 07:20:53 am »
    Sometimes I add peas, but my secret ingredients are dill weed and a pinch of sugar.

Offline NanD

• View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: October 22, 2019, 08:28:12 am »
    Mayo, mustard and pickle relish

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Offline Fleurina

• West Coast of Scotland
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: October 22, 2019, 08:34:25 am »
    Add a touch of brinjal pickle, sometimes called aubergine pickle...

I'm hungry now!

Janet Butler Male | Website | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Offline Nina Huffney

• USA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: October 27, 2019, 04:19:22 pm »
    Sometimes I add peas

I'll use any excuse to add peas to a dish, so... Egg Salad, meet your new best friend!

NanD, I like your take. Perhaps the mayo-mustard-relish combo is the mirepoix of egg salad??

Fleurina, I'm a fan of shibazuke (Japanese pickled eggplant) so brinjal (which I hadn't heard of before) sounds so very tempting.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement