Author Topic: I cut the cord OMG I cut the cord  (Read 2291 times)  

Offline Laran Mithras

• Butte MT
    • View Profile
Re: I cut the cord OMG I cut the cord
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2019, 07:37:19 am »
In my case, I cut the cord completely. Canceled cable TV back in 2007 and haven't looked back since. I just really didn't like the garbage on TV anyway. That's over $1000/yr in savings for 12 years.

A couple of months ago, I got fed up with my landline charges getting ridiculous. We made one call for less than a minute and were charged almost $10 in fees, surcharges, assessments, usage fees, service charges, and taxes (good gawd) - not to mention the 35 cents to make the call. $65 to have the phone sit there? We rarely make any calls and I have a cell phone. SNIP. It's sort of fun now to pick up the phone and hear deadness. Another $65/month saved. Didn't need it anyway. There's $900 per year.

I guess we're just not TV... junkies? Addicts? Fans? Adherents? Worshipers? We hate it. Personal preference, of course, and YMMV and no offense intended and all that. I used to watch TV every hour I was home and not asleep. Stopping and cutting cable changed my life for the better. I will never go back to TV.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline CegAbq

• Albuquerque, NM
      • View Profile
    « Reply #26 on: April 19, 2019, 04:55:46 pm »
    I guess we're just not TV... I used to watch TV every hour I was home and not asleep. Stopping and cutting cable changed my life for the better. I will never go back to TV.

As a child, I was a huge TV addict; along the way, I moved to many different locations that didn't get good network reception & at that point I wasn't going to pay. Then I had children and was firmly committed to the belief that the junk on TV was not what I wanted them to be watching nor wanted them to develop reliance. Then they grew up & moved out & on to college.

I also discovered some shows that I really liked to watch. THEN! Outlander was coming to STARZ! (That of course was 2014).
    I got a premiere cable package & a TIVO & have discovered more shows along the way that I really enjoy.

But my cable bill has gotten so out of hand, I am willing to cut way back on instant & replay gratification.
    Just still working out the plan.
    Carol in 'burque

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to Skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and shouting: Damn-What a ride!

Online Paranormal Kitty

• View Profile
    « Reply #27 on: April 19, 2019, 07:12:09 pm »
    I've never had cable other than the one year I lived in a college dorm where it was provided for free. We were really poor when I was a kid so it was out of the question, and having gone without it my whole life I just never felt it was worth the expense. The first tv I remember us having was black and white with rabbit ears, and keep in mind this was the 1990s. Then we got a house that had one of those antennas on a pole. To get certain channels to come in, one person would go out and turn it while another yelled through the window if the reception was getting better or not.

My boyfriend set up a pretty nice antenna in the attic of the house we live in now. It's connected to the cable outlets so one antenna for all the tvs and no wires strung all though the house. OTA is so much better with digital now. HD quality, no snow, and all the channels have multiple channels on them so if you get a handful of stations it adds up to 20 or more channels.

I didn't think anyone had a landline anymore besides certain businesses that get a lot of calls. My grandparents have even gone mobile only. The landline we had when I was a kid only got local service, so we had to buy calling cards for long distance. I remember for awhile we split a line with the neighbor so when someone called you had to ask who it was for and if it was for the neighbor hang up and let them call again...or if you were feeling generous go over and tell them.

Offline CegAbq

• Albuquerque, NM
      • View Profile
    « Reply #28 on: April 19, 2019, 10:30:18 pm »
    I didn't think anyone had a landline anymore besides ...

Well ... being an attorney ... I happen to know that if anyone is on "house arrest" or probation/parole, they have to have a "true" landline ... no cell phone will cut it ...  :P :P :P :P
    Carol in 'burque

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to Skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and shouting: Damn-What a ride!

Offline Sandpiper

• Chicago 'burbs
    • How could you not smile back at Bonnie?
      • View Profile
    « Reply #29 on: April 20, 2019, 04:54:51 am »
    I've never had cable other than the one year I lived in a college dorm where it was provided for free. We were really poor when I was a kid so it was out of the question, and having gone without it my whole life I just never felt it was worth the expense. The first tv I remember us having was black and white with rabbit ears, and keep in mind this was the 1990s. Then we got a house that had one of those antennas on a pole. To get certain channels to come in, one person would go out and turn it while another yelled through the window if the reception was getting better or not.

My boyfriend set up a pretty nice antenna in the attic of the house we live in now. It's connected to the cable outlets so one antenna for all the tvs and no wires strung all though the house. OTA is so much better with digital now. HD quality, no snow, and all the channels have multiple channels on them so if you get a handful of stations it adds up to 20 or more channels.

I didn't think anyone had a landline anymore besides certain businesses that get a lot of calls. My grandparents have even gone mobile only. The landline we had when I was a kid only got local service, so we had to buy calling cards for long distance. I remember for awhile we split a line with the neighbor so when someone called you had to ask who it was for and if it was for the neighbor hang up and let them call again...or if you were feeling generous go over and tell them.

That is totally me re TV.  I'm guessing I'm way older than you though.  I remember the beginning of TV.  I have NEVER had cable or satellite.  Rooftop antenna on the house I grew up in, few apartments I lived in, and on the condo building I currently live in.  Been in here for 34 years this summer.  Always had good OTA TV.  More channel choices now with digital.

Phone.  I have true land line.  It's my phone of choice.  Went cordless not too many years ago.  I am NOT attached to my cell phone the way the rest of the world is.  I have an iPhone 6 Plus.  I use the camera.  :)

My bro beagle (1954-1966).  I still miss him big time.
    His last collar hangs on my bedpost.

Offline Laran Mithras

• Butte MT
      • View Profile
    « Reply #30 on: April 20, 2019, 05:59:02 am »
    That is totally me re TV.  I'm guessing I'm way older than you though.  I remember the beginning of TV.  I have NEVER had cable or satellite.  Rooftop antenna on the house I grew up in, few apartments I lived in, and on the condo building I currently live in.  Been in here for 34 years this summer.  Always had good OTA TV.  More channel choices now with digital.

Phone.  I have true land line.  It's my phone of choice.  Went cordless not too many years ago.  I am NOT attached to my cell phone the way the rest of the world is.  I have an iPhone 6 Plus.  I use the camera.  :)

I remember using tinfoil on the rabbit ears to get a better picture. I also remember watching the moon landings.

Up until a couple years ago, I still used a rotary phone. You know how aggravating it is to get a recording, "Please press 1 to continue." Switched to push button but finally just ditched it. Too expensive and I have a free iphone from the family business upchain that I am heir to, so it costs me nothing. I use the camera, too, and almost nothing else on it.  :P

Offline *DrDLN* (dr.s.dhillon)

• Mtn House, CA
    • Self-help and Spiritual Living
      • View Profile
      • "HEALTH and LOVE is your birth-right" Series
    « Reply #31 on: April 25, 2019, 03:38:41 pm »
    I am one of you who never had cable. The only time I had was free cable at Yale faculty housing during postdoc years. I use indoor antenna where I can get over 30 channels and use streaming for some of the networks on both smart TVs.
    I do have cell phone but rarely use it. So my main monthly expense is internet connection. I hope there is some way to do without internet but can't think any. Would love to know if there is any....

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #32 on: April 25, 2019, 04:48:11 pm »
    For fun we tried out one of those indoor antennas again, now that I am living on the other side of town so to speak. Its even worse lol. And its a really good indoor antenna too. I just can't get nothing. Only ones coming in now  are the spanish channels. I can't even get NBC or CBS anymore. Or any other locals. I am in a large city, within the city limits. 7th largest city in the country and I still can't get anything. I looked up on that TVfool site where they give you some idea what you get with what antenna and just to get locals I'd have to put like a 10 foot monster on the roof. Which I am not allowed to do here and wouldn't want to do do anyway.

Offline Sandpiper

• Chicago 'burbs
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33 on: April 26, 2019, 04:47:58 am »
    Don't know what I would do if I didn't have the rooftop antenna on this 5-story condo building.  Basic TV to me has always been the three networks, ABC, CBS, NBC, big Chicago station WGN, Chicago PBS station WTTW, and one other local WFLD.  With digital there now are network substations and a few other minor stations.  Then stream as many apps / platforms as you want to pay for.

Everyone with cable / satellite has on-TV screen TV programming.  I have it with TiVo.  Without it on-screen what do you do?  Do TV schedules in print even exist any longer?  I always subscribed to TV Guide until I got TiVo.  Look at TV schedules on web sites?  Someone in another condo unit on this floor has TV Key Antenna.  It has on-screen programming.  Don't know that reception with it is too good.  I think she needs to keep "refreshing" her TV screen.  Tried to tell her she could get better reception just hooking up to rooftop antenna.  She doesn't "get it" (understand) it. 

My father died in '73.  He was kind of "techie" for his time.  He was an audiophile and a camera bug.  If he could be alive for all this now . . . ?

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34 on: April 27, 2019, 04:32:43 pm »
    Yeah, things sure have changed. Some are going full circle I guess.

I grew up with a antenna on the roof. We had 2 channels and a half as I call them. 2 main channels and one public station. I grew up in Germany. Later when I was a teenager, around then, They put a satellite on the roof. Its not like in the US though, you just buy the dish and pick up a bunch of stuff. I remember catching a few shows in english back then to try to learn it. First few places in the US I lived had some stuff included in the rent. Basic cable, some had some electricity included, that kind of stuff.

But boy once I found all those other channels out there.  ;D. Going from the full blast uverse triple to what we have now is a huge savings, but really still a lot of channels. Problem is that its getting very fragmented now. Lots of networks starting to do their own pay stream. CBS peeved me off big time. I was binge watching the remake of Hawaii five 0. Just liked the vibe humor and its easy watching. I started on Netflix. THey really do have one of the nicest play platform. Not maybe searching for stuff, but when you play its perfect. Then I made it to like season 7 I think and CBS yanked the show off to put on their own pay service. So I subscribed just so I could finish that show. It was the worse streaming experience I have ever had. I just cancelled as I got caught up. Now I will record new episode via the youtubetv cloud DVR which is unlimited. I just hit record on anything I might be interested in. CBS all access had so many commercials I about pulled my hair out. They make you pay to watch with more commercials than normal and you can't forward through them. And the forward and rewind didn't work as well as netflix either. Just horrible. I'll never get that again.

I am just afraid that more and more channels are going to do that. If I could put an antenna up, I'd do it. Not an option. Plus like I said, I can't get much where I am at. I don't really know of anyone that gets a good reception here so who knows where the towers are.

I would also miss being able to record and time shift. So even though I don't have cable, I can still do all that via the cloud. I have a guide and all that.

Curious how this is all going to shape up in the next 5 years. I remember getting DVD"s from netflix and then they had that disk we stuffed into our Wii play box to stream in the early days. You had to watch how much you were streaming then I remember.  8)

Offline Sandpiper

• Chicago 'burbs
      • View Profile
    « Reply #35 on: April 28, 2019, 04:30:41 am »
    CBS All Access is available without commercials for $99 per year.

Disney is pulling all their TV programs and movies from Netflix and Amazon Prime when their airing contracts run out.  Disney will have their own streaming channel starting later this year.
    « Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 04:21:47 am by Sandpiper »

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #36 on: April 28, 2019, 07:07:58 am »
    Disney is something I have pretty much zero interest in. I don't have kids, I don't watch animated stuff and I am not into comic book stuff coming to screen. Since I never read comic books other than Asterix and Obelix and I don't think anyone is making movies out of them.  ;D
    Probably a great deal for families though.

After the fiasco of 2 months of CBS and their mess, I wouldn't pay 99 a year. That's a lot of money for just one network.
    Its what I always loved about Netflix and Hulu, you could find stuff from all different networks. Now they are getting their own and starting to pull stuff off those services.

I gladly pay for something like TennisTV. Its the only sport I really watch and they have every single tournament outside of the grand slams and women. Unfortunately to watch the grand slams I have to have a service that offers me ESPN and the signin to their app. Otherwise they would only show like 3 matches I don't want to watch while stuff is happening on other courts. Now even ESPN makes me pay even more at $4.99 for the espn+ so I can see those courts. It used to be just signing in to the app and you could watch it all, now they moved them to the extra pay channel  :(. So for every grandslam they cover I now have to pay for a month of that in addition.

Then I have to figure out something for french open as its now on tennis channel and same applies there. They will only show the americans playing and often just talk and talk and talk afterwards while matches are going on. So I have to buy into their extra streaming too.

I just put hulu back on ad supported plan as its got lowered to $5.99 and the regular went up. So that is half what I paid before. After we finish a couple of shows we are watching I am going to put it on pause. I will do the same with Netflix. I think you can pause all of them. So I figured I'll make a list or spreadsheet, write down the months I have this or that so there is no overlap. Since we always pay for a full month. That way I can maybe cut the cost of all of them in half if I only pay for 6 months out of the year for each.

Offline fos

• Under the Rainbow
      • View Profile
      • Far Out Science
    « Reply #37 on: April 28, 2019, 08:15:51 am »
    I cut my cable on April 1, 2019. I had Uverse at the time. They went from $125 to $200. Too much. I rarely watch TV. They would not come down and wanted an extreme amount for cable only. I shopped and ended up with Cox - Internet Only for $70. I already have Amazon Prime. After searching my options, I went with Hulu for $5.99 per month. I found a way to stream the network news channels. I don't miss TV at all. I have always spent most of my time in books, writing, or computer programming anyway. I doubt that I will ever go back.

Jeff

Offline barryem

• View Profile
    « Reply #38 on: April 28, 2019, 09:39:58 am »
    I haven't had TV most of my life.  I was born before TV and I used to listen to old time radio shows.  I still do.  I'm a kind of casual collector of the shows I enjoy and I have thousands of them.

I first saw TV in about 1949 or 1950, I'm not sure of the exact year.  We lived in Texas and we went to Connecticut to visit and my grandmother had a TV.  I'm not sure I remember even hearing of TV before that.  I do remember being fascinated by the Quiz Kids.

We got TV at home when I was about 14 in 1954, I think.  I moved out when I was 16 and didn't have a TV or miss it.  I had books.

When I retired to Arkansas 15 years ago I got a TV.  I hated it and gave it to my neighbor about 3 months later, disconnecting my cable service.  There were so many commercials!  How could anyone stand it!

Then I downloaded a video of an old Dragnet TV show from the 1950s, the black and white version.  What fun that was!  I looked for more and every now and then I found one.  And then came Netflix.  Now I have Amazon Prime as well.  I can watch all the TV I want and no commercials.

I tend to like old shows.  I haven't seen most of them before, except for an occasional episode at someone's house.  For that reason I like Youtube a lot.  Although a lot of the old shows are now coming to Amazon Prime.  I've begun watching "The Life and Legend of Wyatt Earp".  I think I'm into the 6th episode.  It's a delight!

Cable?  Nah!  That stuff is for silly people who want to be told what to buy.  By the way I have Youtube Premium, which is the same thing as regular Youtube except no commercials.  It costs $10 a month.  A bargain.

I do remember that after that trip to Connecticut we came back to Texas, where TV still wasn't available, and school started and our teacher explained that in a year or two we would be getting TV stations and she warned us that it worked by displaying an image that wasn't really there and that it would make us go blind.  She claimed that was happening all over the country.  I raised my hand and explained about my experience that summer and that nobody was going blind and I was sent to the principal's office for contradicting her.  The principal wasn't happy. :)

Barry

Offline Sandpiper

• Chicago 'burbs
      • View Profile
    « Reply #39 on: April 29, 2019, 04:44:02 am »
    Disney is something I have pretty much zero interest in. I don't have kids, I don't watch animated stuff and I am not into comic book stuff coming to screen. Since I never read comic books other than Asterix and Obelix and I don't think anyone is making movies out of them.  ;D
    Probably a great deal for families though.

I gladly pay for something like TennisTV. Its the only sport I really watch and they have every single tournament outside of the grand slams and women. Unfortunately to watch the grand slams I have to have a service that offers me ESPN and the signin to their app. Otherwise they would only show like 3 matches I don't want to watch while stuff is happening on other courts. Now even ESPN makes me pay even more at $4.99 for the espn+ so I can see those courts. It used to be just signing in to the app and you could watch it all, now they moved them to the extra pay channel  :(. So for every grandslam they cover I now have to pay for a month of that in addition.

Then I have to figure out something for french open as its now on tennis channel and same applies there. They will only show the americans playing and often just talk and talk and talk afterwards while matches are going on. So I have to buy into their extra streaming too.

I can't say for sure, but I think there's more to Disney than children's TV programming and movies and animation.  I'm not interested in those either.  Other choices that I'm surprised are from Disney.

I have no interest in sports.  ZERO. Not paying for that.  Much of weekend OTA network TV is now devoted to sports.  I go to the digital channels or stream. 

Offline Laran Mithras

• Butte MT
      • View Profile
    « Reply #40 on: April 29, 2019, 03:20:14 pm »
    I've said on other platforms that this insane push to single channel subscription is going to fail hard.

Who has $10Trillion per month for all of these streaming subs? Ridiculous.

Sub with us! Sub with us! Sub with us! Sub with us! Sub with us! Sub with us! Sub with us! Sub with us! Sub with us! Sub with us! Sub with us! Sub with us! Sub with us! Sub with us! Sub with us! Sub with us! Sub with us! Sub with us! Sub with us! Sub with us! Sub with us! Sub with us! Sub with us! Sub with us! Sub with us! Sub with us! Sub with us! Sub with us! Sub with us! Sub with us! Sub with us! Sub with us! Sub with us! Sub with us! Sub with us! Sub with us! Sub with us! Sub with us! Sub with us! Sub with us! Sub with us! Sub with us! Sub with us! Sub with us! Sub with us! Sub with us!

Gawd... Next up, the Weather Channel is going subscription.  ::)

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #41 on: April 29, 2019, 07:07:52 pm »
    I can't even get weather channel anymore, youtubetv doesn't have it. Its mostly on cable packages.

I guess they all saw the money to be made when segmenting their stuff into their own pay channel. Whats its going to do I think is folks just gonna stop watching certain stuff if its going to be on yet another separate pay app. Or just pick what they like best and buy the season on amazon.

Or maybe I'll just read more. I do have that tbr to get through.

Offline CegAbq

• Albuquerque, NM
      • View Profile
    « Reply #42 on: April 29, 2019, 07:16:52 pm »
     Whats its going to do I think is folks just gonna stop watching certain stuff if its going to be on yet another separate pay app. Or just pick what they like best and buy the season on amazon.

This is also what I think will happen.
    Carol in 'burque

Offline Laran Mithras

• Butte MT
      • View Profile
    « Reply #43 on: April 30, 2019, 06:16:08 am »
    That's what I do - buy the season on Amazon. I wait for it to go on sale and buy it for a tenth the price of a sub. This spreading sub-model reminds me of the gold rush.

Offline CegAbq

• Albuquerque, NM
      • View Profile
    « Reply #44 on: October 16, 2019, 10:39:39 pm »
    Just an update about my cord-cutting saga which began last May ...
    Albuquerque NM has either Comcast/Xfinity or CenturyLink internet service

I was on Xfinity & decided to switch to CenturyLink while dropping phone & tv service ... still not quite there yet, but making progress.

Activated Ooma phone service, which has worked mostly fine (a few hiccups along the way)

Found out that my home is at the VERY end of possible CenturyLink service, took several months to get techs to figure out how to get a connection going; not the fastest, so we are testing how that will work out without yet dropping Xfinity

Enrolled in YouTube TV, which works well for us for now.

Being an Outlander fan ... still have to decide what to do about STARZ. Trying to convince myself to tough it out through new season, wait until the end, then subscribe for just one month & binge like crazy, then buy the bluray with digital when it finally comes out (thus not buy the season through Amazon Prime) ... have to wait & see how long I can hold out

So, still in the process of determining whether CenturyLink's service at reduced speed will work for our household or we need to keep Xfinity's internet-only service ...

a couple more months should have us reaching the final decision !!!
    Carol in 'burque

KBoards.com

• Advertisement