Author Topic: Just a thought for those about to sell their previous generation Kindles...  (Read 1396 times)  

Offline 911jason

• Simi Valley, CA
    • View Profile
    • Kindle Screensavers
With the announcement of the K3, I'm guessing there are going to be lots and lots of K2's and K1's put up for sale in the near future. As a seller, it might be worthwhile to note what kinds of books you have bought if you plan on leaving them on the Kindle you are selling. That may be a nice "value-added" feature that will help sell your Kindle to a reader with similar interests.

For those who weren't aware, when you sell or give your Kindle to someone, you should de-register it (from the Settings Menu). This prevents someone from making purchases on your Amazon account. You can, however, leave all of the books if you like for the new owner. They will remain on the device after de-registering, and also after it's re-registered to the new owner. The only difference is that once the new owner deletes them, they won't be able to download them for free again.

Added by Betsy.  Please consider the Kindle Terms of Service:
"Selling Your Kindle

If your Kindle is registered to your account, deregister the Kindle before selling it. Deregistering ensures that your Kindle cannot be used to make purchases on your account. Also, once the Kindle is deregistered, any books, subscriptions, or other content you've purchased from the Kindle Store will no longer be delivered to the device.

Remove all purchased material from the Kindle device. Purchased Kindle content cannot be sold according to the License Agreement and Terms of Use of the Amazon Kindle. "

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_k2land_give_more?nodeId=200375750#selling

« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 09:16:13 am by Betsy the Quilter »

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline MeganW

• View Profile
    Great point, Jason!  I'll be selling mine, and so will my mom and my sister (all K2US), and we have around 300 books on each of our Kindles.  And we could load them up with high-quality public domain books, as well!

Offline Cindy416

• Midwest
      • View Profile
      • My Eclectic Range
    Great point, Jason!  I'll be selling mine, and so will my mom and my sister (all K2US), and we have around 300 books on each of our Kindles.  And we could load them up with high-quality public domain books, as well!

Before I saw your pic, I thought, "Hmmm. Another family like ours."  Geesh.  ;)

"Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers."  Charles W. Eliot

Offline KimberlyinMN

• NW Minnesota
    • Kindle Voyage Wi-Fi
      • View Profile
    Hmmm... that's a good thought.  I guess I won't remove my books.

Offline Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
    • Alexandria, VA
    • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey.
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    I'm going to sticky this for awhile, as we are going to have a bunch of K's for sale.

Betsy
    Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
    Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX    KB Member #72
    Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
    • Alexandria, VA
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    For those selling their Kindles, please note that leaving your books on the Kindle violates your terms of service:

from the section on selling your Kindle:

"Selling Your Kindle

If your Kindle is registered to your account, deregister the Kindle before selling it. Deregistering ensures that your Kindle cannot be used to make purchases on your account. Also, once the Kindle is deregistered, any books, subscriptions, or other content you've purchased from the Kindle Store will no longer be delivered to the device.

Remove all purchased material from the Kindle device. Purchased Kindle content cannot be sold according to the License Agreement and Terms of Use of the Amazon Kindle. "

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_k2land_give_more?nodeId=200375750#selling

I'm going to add a link to Jason's initial post.  The advice to remember to deregister is important.

Thanks to Mike for pointing this out.

Betsy
    BST&B Moderator
    « Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 09:17:30 am by Betsy the Quilter »

Offline luvshihtzu

• View Profile
    It says that Kindle books cannot be sold.  These people are not charging extra for their books.

Offline MikeD

• Elsewhere
      • View Profile
    It says that Kindle books cannot be sold.  These people are not charging extra for their books.

Actually, the quote above ALSO references the license (follow the link) and the license says that you cannot "sell, rent, lease, distribute, broadcast, sublicense or otherwise assign any rights to the Digital Content or any portion of it to any third party".

Clearly, if you leave Digital content purchased from Amazon on your Kindle and sell (or even give) the Kindle to a third party, then you have distributed, and/or assigned the rights to, that content to a third party. Can't do that per the license.

And then Amazon, striving to be clear stated, "Remove all purchased material from the Kindle device."

Pretty clear stuff, IMHO.
    « Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 04:47:29 pm by MikeD »

Offline Pushka

• Australia
      • View Profile
    If you sold your kindle device to anyone and left it registered then it still belongs to your account. So no infringement has occurred if the books are left on. You are legally able to do this.  People sell their kindles or gift them all the time.  They sell or give them to family and friends and others. 

Once it has been received by the other party, and then you deregistered it because you had too many kindles on your account, or you just wanted to deregister it, then you have no control over what is on that kindle so again, no infringement has occurred.  And again, this happens all the time.

Are you saying that if this device is deregistered at any time (immediately after, or even weeks later)after the kindle has been received by the receiver, that an infringement has occurred?  If so, then people should never give, sell or even loan their kindles to anyone if there are books on it. And just from the posts here, we know that many are planning to gift their kindles and who knows if they may later decide to deregister them. 
    « Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 04:54:30 pm by Pushka »

• Alexandria, VA
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    Bottom line is "Remove all purchased material from the Kindle device."

I believe an argument could be made that the items aren't sold nor are rights assigned as the books will disappear when deleted and the current owner of the Kindle will not be able to get them back.  

However, "Remove all purchased material from the Kindle device" is neither ambiguous nor open to interpretation.  In my opinion.

People can make up their own minds on this now that they have the information. 

Betsy
    BST&B Moderator

KBoards.com

• Advertisement