Author Topic: New Kindle Paperwhite on Sale on Amazon for $99.99  (Read 3152 times)  

Offline patrickt

• Oaxaca, Mexico
    • View Profile
Re: New Kindle Paperwhite on Sale on Amazon for $99.99
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2018, 05:03:21 am »
I'm shocked some people aren't trying to get hundreds back because the cell phone they bought three years ago is selling for peanuts now.

The inconsistency the users of customer service suffer is nothing compared to the dishonest nonsense the custom service reps put up with. And, this was after they suggest he return his Kindle and order a new one at the lower price but he couldn't be bothered with that.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline CS

• Parts Unknown
    • Five-Star Ranking Agent 337
      • View Profile
    « Reply #26 on: December 10, 2018, 05:06:37 am »
    The first kindle supposedly faded in the sun .... I only ever saw it happen if I was in direct sunlight for more than 5 minutes. So ... I just didn't do that again. :) (I really just think it got too hot; it wasn't a permanent change.)

LOL. This brings back memories... :)

I remember being kinda "worried" about this issue at the time.

In the end, I never once, at any point, read the original Kindle in sunlight - direct or otherwise.

Kinda tempted to dig it out now and try it in the sun. :P

I'm shocked some people aren't trying to get hundreds back because the cell phone they bought three years ago is selling for peanuts now.

The inconsistency the users of customer service suffer is nothing compared to the dishonest nonsense the custom service reps put up with. And, this was after they suggest he return his Kindle and order a new one at the lower price but he couldn't be bothered with that.

Not sure if you're referring to my posts. If I did anything "dishonest," please enlighten me...

As for returning and rebuying the Kindle, that is a nonsense solution that only inconveniences the customer and costs Amazon money. It's a lose-lose all around, which is exactly why they suggest it - because who is actually going to bother doing that?
    « Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 05:13:08 am by CS »

Offline MagicalWingLT

• Brick, NJ
    • Reading Amanda Ashley, and Christine Feehan Books.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #27 on: December 10, 2018, 09:38:48 am »
    Yeah the hubby bought it on Black Friday. So I should be fine if I need a replacement when I open it on Christmas.

(Make your own reading bar)A Kindle 1, 3 (Keyboard), and Paperwhite owner. I just love reading romance novels :P

Offline Jane917

• Ridgefield, WA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #28 on: December 10, 2018, 01:52:13 pm »
    I would not have had any clue the PW4 was discounted if I had not read this thread. I have had my PW4 less than 30 days, so I thought I would give CHAT a try. I took a bit of a different road to CHAT than Ann did Ann, but I can't really remember what path I took. At first I got Yolanda, but she transferred me to Mohammed Abdul in the Kindle Dept. I told him when I ordered, when it was delivered, and what a good customer of Kindle I am. I suggested I would be happy if he would put $20 in my account, or take off my special offers. Mohammed offered to remove special offers from both my PW4 and my Oasis2. That is actually a credit of $20, and I would have preferred the credit, but what they hay, they didn't have to do a thing. I did not point out that they are being a bit inconsistent, but the is probably the first day they are dealing with this. Give it a try.....you have nothing to lose!  Jane
    Words with Friends: Jane917

(Make your own reading bar)

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
    • Not really a moderator. :)
      • View Profile
    « Reply #29 on: December 10, 2018, 02:37:07 pm »
    I would not have had any clue the PW4 was discounted if I had not read this thread. I have had my PW4 less than 30 days, so I thought I would give CHAT a try. I took a bit of a different road to CHAT than Ann did Ann, but I can't really remember what path I took. At first I got Yolanda, but she transferred me to Mohammed Abdul in the Kindle Dept. I told him when I ordered, when it was delivered, and what a good customer of Kindle I am. I suggested I would be happy if he would put $20 in my account, or take off my special offers. Mohammed offered to remove special offers from both my PW4 and my Oasis2. That is actually a credit of $20, and I would have preferred the credit, but what they hay, they didn't have to do a thing. I did not point out that they are being a bit inconsistent, but the is probably the first day they are dealing with this. Give it a try.....you have nothing to lose!  Jane

Yeah ... it's pretty clear there isn't a consistent policy beyond the stated: you have to return it and buy it again. But a lot of the folks you get seem to have the authority to do something, if you just can get to one of those people.
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline Patricia

• Northwestern New Jersey
    • Enjoy Today...It will not come again.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #30 on: December 10, 2018, 03:30:54 pm »
    I wasn't going to try because I had already gotten a $10 credit for the USB cord that didn't fit. But I started with a chat and then they called me. The person I got was very courteous and generous. I got a $30 gift card credit. I wonder if they're in the Holiday spirit!

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #31 on: December 10, 2018, 03:36:32 pm »
    I do think that most people probably don't bother to call and ask. And, of course, the Zon isn't going to send out a message to everyone saying, hey, you can get money back if you contact us. So, really, it's probably not that many people as a percentage of total units sold who ask. Proverbial drop in the bucket. :)
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline CS

• Parts Unknown
      • View Profile
    « Reply #32 on: December 10, 2018, 04:40:05 pm »
    We've all gotten different things (and some have had no luck at all), so there is definitely no standard policy.

It can be maddening. Sometimes you get an inflexible CSR who is by the book and can't or won't help, but other times you get lucky.

One time I preordered a book (yes, a physical book *gasp* lol), which dropped in price the day I received it, or maybe the day after - some issue where the Preorder Price Guarantee didn't kick in - so I opened a chat asking to be refunded the difference. He ended up refunding me the entire book. Not even remotely what I asked for, or expected, but definitely an awesome surprise. That was a $12 or $15 item though. (At least I think that's how much it was - it might have been more?)

You would think Amazon would be more open to price-matches when it's their own product, like the Kindle, but that doesn't seem to really be the case. It's definitely luck and chance.

Offline MagicalWingLT

• Brick, NJ
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33 on: December 10, 2018, 08:47:36 pm »

Actually since he took off the special offers for both the Oasis 2 and your new Paperwhite 4 that would be 40 credit. Since you had asked about the special offers he went with that instead of doing credit. Mohammed Abdul is who my husband talked to. He did the $40.00 refund to the debit card instead of Amazon credit or removing the special offers because that's what the hubby asked for.

(Make your own reading bar)A Kindle 1, 3 (Keyboard), and Paperwhite owner. I just love reading romance novels :P

Offline MagicalWingLT

• Brick, NJ
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34 on: December 10, 2018, 09:02:17 pm »

And why should he have to go through the trouble to do that? That's really insane when the simple solution is to give him a partial refund or offer to take off the ads.... That's more then fair. The customer shouldn't have to take their perfectly working Kindle and do a replacement risking getting a Kindle that might have issues... He shouldn't have to drive to the UPS store and drop it off.  That's a inconvenience for the customer... And at the same time Amazon will lose money when paying for the return shipping cost....

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
    • madhouse escapee #671
      • View Profile
    « Reply #35 on: December 11, 2018, 06:04:07 am »
    Amazon used to do price matching or even refunding the difference if the price dropped withing a certain time of the purchase.  But then some big website pointed that out and Amazon changed its policy.  I think it's good that they are at least listening to long-time customers and trying to do something helpful.  I know they have certainly made a lot of money off me in the ten years that I've had a Kindle.  (And other stuff as well)

Offline barryem

• View Profile
    « Reply #36 on: December 11, 2018, 09:43:57 am »
    I don't think Amazon is obligated to do anything.  What is all this complaining about!  We bought a device and paid what we decided was a reasonable price.  If we didn't think it was reasonable we could have gone to the competition.  And there is good competition, although I do think Kindles are better.  I have Nooks and Kobos and if they were all I had I'd be perfectly happy.  They're excellent ereaders.  I'm glad I have Kindles and I prefer them but the differences are small.

It's nice that Amazon is willing to make concessions when they're asked but I worry that asking too much for concessions is likely to make Amazon tighten up their rules.  I remember in the early days of PC's when people in forums discussed buying a couple of nice PC's on Friday for a weekend party and returning them on Monday.  The stores soon caught on to that and began charging large restocking fees and a lot of stores quit taking returns.  People who had real reasons for returning a PC were left out in the cold.

The same thing happened with computer games, which came on floppy disks in those days.  People would buy them, make copies using programs that could defeat protection and return them.  Stores caught on and ever since you can't return software if it's been opened.  That's still true today.

Anyway I bought a Paperwhite 4 a week or two ago and now that it's on sale I bought another one.  It'll arrive Thursday.  This time I just got the Wifi model.  I can't afford another 3G one.  But if it's really all about reading and I'm sure it'll do that just fine.

Barry

Offline CS

• Parts Unknown
      • View Profile
    « Reply #37 on: December 11, 2018, 10:17:35 am »
    All of that is true, Barry, but most stores have reasonable windows for price-adjustments - Amazon used to but no longer does (unless you get lucky). Amazon set certain expectations for exemplary customer service, and then slowly lowered those standards over time. I'm sure some people abused Amazon's goodwill, as people always do, but I hardly consider asking for a price-adjustment (or some other concession, barring that) after only a month to be anything even remotely resembling an unreasonable request.

Edit: If Amazon applied a strict set of standards to everyone - let's say they told us ALL no when we requested a price-adjustment - I could live with that. Instead, look at this thread alone - everyone has gotten completely different responses to Amazon's so-called "iron-clad" policies. You don't see why it could be a little frustrating if they're not willing to help you out when your "neighbor" has gotten a more favorable response? 
    « Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 10:27:19 am by CS »

Offline barryem

• View Profile
    « Reply #38 on: December 11, 2018, 11:21:39 am »
    You don't see why it could be a little frustrating if they're not willing to help you out when your "neighbor" has gotten a more favorable response? 

I don't see why it would be frustrating.  You're asking for a special favor.   If the support person is willing to give it be glad.  If not, that's life.

Barry

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #39 on: December 11, 2018, 12:00:16 pm »
    I don't think Amazon is obligated to do anything.  What is all this complaining about!  We bought a device and paid what we decided was a reasonable price.  If we didn't think it was reasonable we could have gone to the competition.  And there is good competition, although I do think Kindles are better.  I have Nooks and Kobos and if they were all I had I'd be perfectly happy.  They're excellent ereaders.  I'm glad I have Kindles and I prefer them but the differences are small.

It's nice that Amazon is willing to make concessions when they're asked but I worry that asking too much for concessions is likely to make Amazon tighten up their rules.  I remember in the early days of PC's when people in forums discussed buying a couple of nice PC's on Friday for a weekend party and returning them on Monday.  The stores soon caught on to that and began charging large restocking fees and a lot of stores quit taking returns.  People who had real reasons for returning a PC were left out in the cold.

The same thing happened with computer games, which came on floppy disks in those days.  People would buy them, make copies using programs that could defeat protection and return them.  Stores caught on and ever since you can't return software if it's been opened.  That's still true today.

Anyway I bought a Paperwhite 4 a week or two ago and now that it's on sale I bought another one.  It'll arrive Thursday.  This time I just got the Wifi model.  I can't afford another 3G one.  But if it's really all about reading and I'm sure it'll do that just fine.

Barry

To be clear: I am NOT complaining. BUT, I considered carefully their return policies and my options and decided that I would ask to see if any accommodation could be made. And it was. If they'd said no, I'd have been, at most, disappointed. I'd certainly not complained.

I admit that my primary response to the plethora of different results reported here is mild amusement.

I have no problem with their stated policy as it is. I also don't think there's anything wrong in asking for an exception. I think if it's known that they sometimes give exceptions and sometimes don't, that doesn't reflect well on them. Still, as I think I noted in one of my previous posts, they didn't HAVE TO DO anything. I'm o.k. with that in principal, but perplexed by the lack of consistency.
    « Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 12:04:29 pm by Ann in Arlington »
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline MagicalWingLT

• Brick, NJ
      • View Profile
    « Reply #40 on: December 11, 2018, 12:44:35 pm »

Barry

First of all none of us were complaining! From what I read so far... Amazon has guidelines that say customers have a window of 30 days to do something about a product. Around the holidays that window is extended... So we decided to do something by asking Amazon about a partial refund. There's nothing wrong with that.... The fact is that Amazon put the Kindle Paperwhite 4 on sale when it was just released ONLY A MONTH ago. You have to expect people to get upset, annoyed, or p*ssed off about it. All of us on the board weren't but the general customers might be... Or as someone already suggested only a hand full of people will know about what happened...

Yes we could just send the Kindles back. And then reorder it again at the sale price but Amazon would be the ones to lose money because of the shipping costs as I stated above and someone else said it as well...

Edit: Also I believe all of us requested either the partial refund or just take off the ads for the Kindle. It's for Amazon to decide which route they want to take. I know my husband requested either or and they decided on the partial refund instead of taking off the ads.....
    « Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 12:50:52 pm by MagicalWingLT »

Offline CS

• Parts Unknown
      • View Profile
    « Reply #41 on: December 11, 2018, 01:33:05 pm »
    The fact is that Amazon put the Kindle Paperwhite 4 on sale when it was just released ONLY A MONTH ago. You have to expect people to get upset, annoyed, or p*ssed off about it. All of us on the board weren't but the general customers might be...

I think if it's known that they sometimes give exceptions and sometimes don't, that doesn't reflect well on them.

This and this!

If you disagree with the points above or don't feel the same way, fair enough, but just recognize that most people are going to have a reaction to very quick price drops and/or the inconsistent application of store policies.

I understand being an early adopter and paying a higher price as one - I've been down that road many times before, and I'm well aware of the pros and cons involved in being the "first" to get something - but most price drops usually happen after six months or a year, not barely a month into the product's lifespan. That's the difference!

Offline MagicalWingLT

• Brick, NJ
      • View Profile
    « Reply #42 on: December 11, 2018, 02:17:08 pm »
    CS said it perfectly and I agree 100% because it's a valid point to what's going on. 

Offline MagicalWingLT

• Brick, NJ
      • View Profile
    « Reply #43 on: December 14, 2018, 10:03:25 pm »
    It looks like the Paperwhite 4 is sold out! Both the 8gb and the 32gb models. New stock is estimated to come in on December 25...

Offline gaidinsgirl

• View Profile
    « Reply #44 on: December 16, 2018, 06:45:38 am »
    Amazon is incredibly inconsistent. They told me no on ad removal or partial refund and the one I talked to was fairly rude about it. [emoji1745]‍[emoji3601]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline CS

• Parts Unknown
      • View Profile
    « Reply #45 on: December 16, 2018, 09:15:01 am »
    Amazon is incredibly inconsistent. They told me no on ad removal or partial refund and the one I talked to was fairly rude about it.

One of the earlier reps I talked to seemed a bit rude and sarcastic - "we'll forward your grievances to our concerned team" or something along those lines - but I wonder if part of it is a language barrier issue. (Everyone I talked to seemed to be from India.)

My advice would be to try again later with a different rep, or let it go if it is upsetting you too much. It probably doesn't help that the PW4 is now out of stock until Christmas Day.

But yes, dealing with Amazon is maddening. It really is like playing the lottery. Case-in-point: everyone in this thread got different refunds/resolutions/solutions. Even though others in this thread had "better" outcomes, I was ultimately happy to get ads removed (which I asked for after they flat out refused to refund or credit me the difference) + a $5 credit (which they offered without me asking for it), but it was frustrating getting there.

Honestly, I'll use this as a valuable learning experience. I will never preorder an Amazon device of any kind ever again - I'll wait for a deal/price drop instead. It's not like a Kindle is something I'll ever "need" to preorder. It is a luxury item, after all. Plus, Amazon clearly doesn't value its most loyal customers - the ones like us who were "first in line" to preorder the newest Kindle - so what's the point?
    « Last Edit: December 16, 2018, 09:17:54 am by CS »

Offline Fogeydc

• View Profile
    « Reply #46 on: December 16, 2018, 09:54:01 am »
     It's not like a Kindle is something I'll ever "need" to preorder. It is a luxury item, after all. ...

An actual Kindle may be a luxury. However, some kind of e-reader (e-ink -- for me, w/ light -- or tablet) is certainly no luxury for those with any kind of eye problems whether disease, age-related ("old eyes"), or cataracts.

I once had a device I used pretty much all-day-every-day (though not a Kindle) start to get really cranky and was mightily-praying for it to last another 3 weeks or so when the new version came out (I got that asap) -- it did, after which the old one decided to not be cranky anymore, but it never hurts to have a backup/spare anyway.

Offline patrickt

• Oaxaca, Mexico
      • View Profile
    « Reply #47 on: December 17, 2018, 04:15:09 am »
    "First of all none of us were complaining! "

Perhaps some make a distinction between whining and complaining that I don't understand. I see a few posting who are clearly complaining.

I agree with Barry. When the price dropped I was tempted get a second PW4 but my sister is already burdened with too much stuff to bring to me in Mexico.

And, I did not suggest that anyone specific lied to customers service. Some people routinely lie, however, and that includes people who post saying their Kindle screen brokes spontaneously as it sat in a dresser drawer or that they got eight defective Kindle's in a row.

I have always found Amazon Customer Service to be helpful, considerate, and polite and they always try their best to help me. On a few occasions the person responding couldn't help and I was bumped up to a supervisor and on one occasion bumped up to a "team" at a level dealing with server problems. I think Amazon and Kindle customer service is outstanding.

I think someone expecting, demanding or whining because they didn't get a refund when an item they'd purchased went on sale are being foolish.

Offline CS

• Parts Unknown
      • View Profile
    « Reply #48 on: December 17, 2018, 04:56:26 am »
    An actual Kindle may be a luxury. However, some kind of e-reader (e-ink -- for me, w/ light -- or tablet) is certainly no luxury for those with any kind of eye problems whether disease, age-related ("old eyes"), or cataracts.

A very good point. Thanks for the reminder than the Kindle has indeed been life-changing for some people.

In general, it has been a game-changer even for readers without vision-related issues - I can now buy and start reading a book at 3 a.m. if I so choose. I can now browse "the library" (Overdrive/Libby) from the comfort of home. There are countless free books (good luck finding that at a physical bookstore, lol). I could go on and on.

I think someone expecting, demanding or whining because they didn't get a refund when an item they'd purchased went on sale are being foolish.

I don't think calling people in this thread "foolish" is the most effective way to make your point, but that's just me. *Shrug*

And, I did not suggest that anyone specific lied to customers service. Some people routinely lie, however, and that includes people who post saying their Kindle screen brokes spontaneously as it sat in a dresser drawer or that they got eight defective Kindle's in a row.

I've seen those posts about multiple defective Kindles - mostly on other forums, not really this one - and I'm not sure they're "lying" necessarily. Instead, I just think there have been screen uniformity issues with Kindles in the past (at least according to others) and these people in particular are especially sensitive to minor flaws. I hesitate to refer to it as "OCD" but that's probably the best shorthand way to describe it. I've been lucky and either haven't had any such issues or haven't noticed them.
    « Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 04:58:52 am by CS »

Offline Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
    • Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
    • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey.
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #49 on: December 17, 2018, 06:21:45 am »
    Let's not attack each other, please!  'Tis the season, right?  (EDIT:  general comment hoping to redirect a couple lines of discussion in this thread, thanks!)

Betsy
    « Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 07:03:24 am by Betsy the Quilter »
    Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
    Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX    KB Member #72
    Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

KBoards.com

• Advertisement