Author Topic: Why does my Kindle2 say o on the archive  (Read 548 times)  

Offline raynsally

• View Profile
Why does my Kindle2 say o on the archive
« on: July 29, 2010, 02:00:35 pm »
Yesterday I noticed my archive showed 0, I don't really keep a lot of books but, I knew I did have some series books, so I could remember what I had read. Today I rebooted the kindle and then archived 2 books it still shows 0. Am I doing something wrong?

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline perryluvr

• View Profile
    Re: Why does my Kindle2 say o on the archive
    « Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 02:07:14 pm »
    Looking forward to hearing the answer to this myself.  I'm a new Kindle owner, and I thought that once I finished reading a book, I could archive it and not have it still on my Kindle... but it only gives me the option to delete it?? 

Offline sebat

• View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 02:08:47 pm »
    If you have not had your whispernet turned on in awhile, that is probably your problem.  Kindle just needs to phone home and reestablish a connection.
    « Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 02:39:10 pm by sebat »

Offline SusanCassidy

• View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010, 02:13:03 pm »
    If the book is not from Amazon, it is not archived.  Amazon keeps copies of books it sells, but not of books people get from other sources.  Those kinds of books just show "Delete" as an option.  Back it up to your pc, if you want.

Offline Skydog

• Cities around the world
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: July 29, 2010, 02:16:25 pm »
    You need to re-establish communication by turning on WhisperNet.  I noticed my archive changed to "0" after the 2.5 firmware upgrade and a subsequent communication with Amazon updated the archive.
    DX and K2 x 2

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Super Moderators-5
    • Not a moderator and haven't ben one for a year.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: July 29, 2010, 02:28:14 pm »
    When you 'delete' a book it will automatically go to ARCHIVE if it was a book purchased at Amazon.  If not, it will go away and be gone forever unless you've backed it up somehow.  If you've restarted your device but not turned WN on, it doesn't know what's in your Archive. . .has to talk to the mothership, AKA Amazon, to get that info. . . . ..
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline raynsally

• View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: July 29, 2010, 02:38:08 pm »
    Yep that fixed it all 24 are back. While I have your attn. does the manual say that? I read a post the other day that makes a person kinda reluctant to ask stupid ?'s I read the manual, but it is long and one tends to forget. I keep going over the parts that I need at the time but, I didn't know where to look for this one. I also understand the poster who said they were interested because, when you go to remove why wouldn't it be plainer to say archive instead of delete. Some like myself need real simple and plain. Thank God for the boards.
    Thank you

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Super Moderators-5
    • Not a moderator and haven't ben one for a year.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: July 29, 2010, 02:47:45 pm »
    I think that's probably something we've just learned. . . .I don't recall that it says it anywhere.  OTOH, I think Amazon more or less expects people to have WN regularly so it's not something that would normally be an issue.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do NOT hesitate to ask a question. . . .even if you think it's silly. . . . .we have lots of folks who are more than happy to assist rookies!  And pretty soon, the rookies become the veterans who answer the questions. . . . . don't let one post scare you.

As to Archive vs. Delete vs. remove:  I think when it's an Amazon book it will ask "remove from device" when you click left to delete it; if it's a non amazon book it'll ask "delete?".  And Archive really just means your library as stored at Amazon.  It only includes books NOT on the Kindle you're holding.  So if, for example, you have 2 kindles, one might say 30 items in archive and one might say 35. . . .it's how many there are relative to the ones on the current device. . . . .
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline raynsally

• View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: July 29, 2010, 03:39:45 pm »
    Thanks Ann, your so right it does say remove not delete, as I have never learned to get a book from anywhere but Amazon I didn't think about it that way. I have a couple of sites in my favorites but am still studying up on how to do things right at audible I havn't had time to study up on them. This assuming everybody knows how to do things can bring on a heap of mistakes. I am just one of the ones when I got my first computer, and the lady on the phone gave me my email address I wrote down dot com. When my young neighbor lady came to help me find the problem and saw that, she gave kinda a start and kindly explained what I had done wrong. Now your so right when I have helped a couple of older people send email to the kids I explained to them that a dot is a period on the typewriter. 8 yrs later I still turn red thinking about it. Thank goodness that neighbor didn't make fun and roll on the floor laughing.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement