Kindle Forum banner

Anyone else have their book stuck in "publishing"

6K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  KylieG 
#1 ·
I have two book stuck in the status of  "publishing" for the last 24 hours. Usually my past books go live within 8-10 hours and things are taking a lot longer, so I'm a bit worried something is wrong. Is anyone else experiencing trouble with their books?

#2 ·
shawnd233 said:
I have two book stuck in the status of "publishing" for the last 24 hours. Usually my past books go live within 8-10 hours and things are taking a lot longer, so I'm a bit worried something is wrong. Is anyone else experiencing trouble with their books?
I think Amazon promises 72 hours, don't they? I've had books like that for a couple days, but since I've never done this before, I just thought of that as normal.

#3 ·
Well, I haven't published anything since October, when the book went live the same afternoon, but I would check your spam folder to make sure you haven't missed an email from Amazon.

#5 ·
I've had it happen often over the years. Always resolved itself after a couple of days.
If I had to guess, I'd say it varies depending on which day of the week you publish and how backed up they are depending on time of year.  But that's a guess and it is assuming there's a human who has to be on staff to look at the book, which seems unlikely.

In any case, I'd wait another day before you email them.

#6 ·
Well I'm hitting the 72 hour mark with NOTHING. I've emailed twice and called once. It's more than annoying when you have promotion lined up that goes to waste, along with pissed off readers who were promised a date you've been promoting for months now. That date was 2 days ago. This is well beyond normal. And the lack of communication is annoying too.

#7 ·
afwriter said:
Well I'm hitting the 72 hour mark with NOTHING. I've emailed twice and called once. It's more than annoying when you have promotion lined up that goes to waste, along with p*ssed off readers who were promised a date you've been promoting for months now. That date was 2 days ago. This is well beyond normal. And the lack of communication is annoying too.
I'm assuming you are using their contact form in the help section to email them. Holidays and weekends seem to be the least responsive times.

You might try submitting it to a different department (you know how they let you choose from a few menus to tell them what your issue is about.)

If resubmitting the same form doesn't get you assigned to a different "case worker," then slightly miscategorizing it might do the trick. At least that is what worked for me. Whoever was handling price-matching was not at all responsive. But the person I got when I submitted to "problems with product page" or "problems with dashboard" got back to me right away and forwarded it to someone else who fixed the problem, long before the first help ticked was even responded to.

#8 ·
I've had one stuck in publishing since I published it on Thursday. KDP was acting up a lot while I was trying to publish it. This is not the first time it's happened for me in the near recent past. I was hoping these issues with KDP would resolve after the holiday/new year but apparently I was naive. I'm gonna wait till Monday & then email them. If my past experiences like this are any indicator, then it will be live by then without me doing anything, but even if I were to email or call, it would make no difference. They seem to get to it whenever they feel like getting around to it no matter what.

#10 ·
MaxDaemon said:
My Kindle edition and my Paperback edition (just came live a couple days ago) still show as separate books. I hope they link up soon or I will be calling or emailing Amazon, I suppose. I imagine it's the same deal as the above - and possibly related to the two holidays we just blew past?
It's typical for this to take a few days. And they ask that you don't contact about them until 72 hours. I published something mid December, and while box PB and ebook went live over night, I did eventually have to contact them and ask them to link.

If you do need to connect, their FAQs tell you what info you need to provide.

#11 ·
ImaWriter said:
It's typical for this to take a few days. And they ask that you don't contact about them until 72 hours. I published something mid December, and while box PB and ebook went live over night, I did eventually have to contact them and ask them to link.

If you do need to connect, their FAQs tell you what info you need to provide.
Yea, I figured on waiting at least five days before doing any real sniffing. And the two books DO show as "linked" on the author page.

Thx!

#13 ·
Amazon was... strange on this recent book of mine.

I uploaded the e-version two days ago(noonish) along with the paperback. It sat for longer than usual (more than 8 hours). The e-version went live early the next morning but not like it usually does. The cover was missing even though the cover was properly loaded. Having a title out there without a cover looks amateurish, so I fired off a CS complaint email. The cover showed up an hour later. However, still no peek inside after two days and usually I have one the very same day.

Paperback took until this morning to go live (2 days).

I think they're shifting gears at Zon and things are sluggish right now. However, I am optimistic that the sluggishness is temporary and it means some nicer function/feature is being implemented.

#14 ·
Laran Mithras said:

I uploaded the e-version two days ago(noonish) along with the paperback. It sat for longer than usual (more than 8 hours). The e-version went live early the next morning but not like it usually does. The cover was missing even though the cover was properly loaded. Having a title out there without a cover looks amateurish, so I fired off a CS complaint email. The cover showed up an hour later. However, still no peek inside after two days and usually I have one the very same day.

I think they're shifting gears at Zon and things are sluggish right now. However, I am optimistic that the sluggishness is temporary and it means some nicer function/feature is being implemented.
What is the CS email you used ... I've used the CONTACT US button 3 times with on response

#15 ·
Laran Mithras said:

I have a book stuck in Publishing too.

It's been about 48 hours now.

It usually takes only a few hours to go live.

I've sent an email to support and they have referred my complaint to the technical department.

#17 ·
Yeah I've got a book stuck in publishing limbo too. It's been three days now. A few things I published after that are now fully live, but that one is still "publishing". Also everything I've published since then has not had a cover on the product page.

#18 ·
FWIW, you're not alone. I uploaded a new book on Friday, and it's been till today that the book went live. 3 emails, no response at all, just boom- 'EET's AAAALLIIIIVEEEE!'

Zon really runs hot and cold. Sometimes you get an email response in an hour, other times it takes days, other other times they never respond. SMDH.

#19 ·
In KDP's glory days, it seemed that all of the US was gifting Kindles at Christmas, and that the new owners spent Christmas Day and the weeks following in loading books onto their new toys. As a result, January was the brightest spot in the self-publishing year. Though I have twice as many books available today as I did then, my sales today are about a quarter of what they were in January 2012. That's a reflection of the fact that while there were fewer than 400,000 Kindle titles available when I began publishing in November 2007, there are now north of six million. (Probably well north, since it's been at least a year and maybe two years since it was possible to get a quick count of Kindle titles.)

#23 ·
shawnd233 said:
96 hours now and the book is still stuck. Has anyone had any luck?
My book has been stuck since Thursday. On Saturday evening I emailed. Today I got a reply that they have a lot of volume right now and that they'd get back to me in 2-3 days. I've built my business on short erotica with a new book coming out every Friday. January's been an amazing month and they're costing me money by having my new book stuck like this.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.