Author Topic: Pages  (Read 851 times)  

Offline amyberta

• View Profile
Pages
« on: January 15, 2019, 01:39:39 pm »
I am reading Dragonfly in Amber which is an Outlander book on my Kindle Oasis. I noticed that the pages arent changing. It says Im on page 184. I know I am passed that page. I checked the table of contents and it says all the pages are 184. It is the same thing on my voyage. I dont know if I should delete it and then redownload.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline barryem

• View Profile
    Re: Pages
    « Reply #1 on: January 15, 2019, 02:07:30 pm »
    On a book of average or above average length there can be several screens per page, depending on the margins and font size you're using.  So you might have to turn several pages before you see the page change.

However, that wouldn't account for the table of contents saying all the pages are page 184 so there might be more going on.  Deleting and re-downloading might make sense if it was only on that one device on that one book but if it's on other books or other devices then there might be another problem.

One thing you can do is open another book on the same device and see if there's still an issue.  If so it's the device.  If not, it's the book.  Since it's the same on more than one device it's more likely the book but I'd check that to be sure.

Deleting and re-downloading is probably the first thing to try.  It might be a good idea to restart the device before you re-download, as well.

Barry

Offline barryem

• View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: January 15, 2019, 02:23:42 pm »
    This got me thinking about the way Kindles handle progress as we read.  When I got my first Kindle in 2009 it used location and a bar graph at the bottom of the screen and, I think, a percentage.  I can't remember for sure if it showed a percentage in those days.

There were a lot of complaints about locations.  They didn't seem related to anything we think of when we think of books.  And yet, because of variable fonts and sizes and margin sizes and line density using pages wouldn't make any sense.  But Amazon listened and did what makes no sense anyway, because we made it plain that's what we wanted.  Silly us! :)

There is a better way but no ereader device I've seen uses it.  It's the way it works in the Moon+ app on Android.  Don't get me wrong!  I love my Kindle.  And my Kindle loves me and works hard to keep me entertained.  But Moon+ does all the same stuff and a heck of a lot more and far more intelligently and, at the same time, stays out of my way.

There's a little margin area at the bottom of my screen in Moon+, which is entirely optional.  I like it so I have it.  If you don't like it you don't have to have it.  In the middle of the margin area, in parentheses, are two numbers, the number of pages in the chapter and the number of pages I've already read in this chapter.  Next to that is my percentage in the book.

Now  you'd think pages in a chapter don't make sense!  What if you change the font size?  When you do, the page counts change, instantly.  Pages means screens.  It's just so simple even I can always know how far along I am.  Also I don't change font size very often.

I'm not sure if there's an option for pages in the book instead of the chapter.  It's been so long since I set this up that I forget what my options were.

Moon+ reads epubs, and maybe mobi, I forget.  It doesn't read books with DRM so that has to be removed.  It always seems to know where the chapters are.  I guess there's something in the file that tells it.  I'm not that familiar with the book formats.  It does work even if there's no table of contents.

When a book doesn't have a table of contents I always add it before I put it in my library but I never used to do that and quite a few of my books don't have them.

Of course the problem with Moon+ is that it works on Android devices and I don't have one with an e-ink screen, so the Kindle is better for reading.  But Moon+ is certainly better for progress reports.

Barry

Offline amyberta

• View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: January 15, 2019, 02:33:17 pm »
    Well I redownloaded and it is the same thing, so it must be the book. Ive never had this happen before. :(

Offline barryem

• View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: January 15, 2019, 04:09:24 pm »
    Does it happen with other books?  Did you restart the device before downloading?

Barry

Offline amyberta

• View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: January 16, 2019, 02:41:45 pm »
    Does it happen with other books?  Did you restart the device before downloading?

Barry
    No, this has never happened before. I did restart my Kindle and even deleted the book and redownloaded. Same thing. Its probably on their end because its on both of my kindles.

Offline barryem

• View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: January 16, 2019, 06:04:20 pm »
    I'd report it to Amazon.  They might fix it.  You can do that from your Kindle.

Barry

Offline amyberta

• View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: January 17, 2019, 06:09:58 am »
    I'd report it to Amazon.  They might fix it.  You can do that from your Kindle.

Barry

Thanks Barry, Ill give it a try.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: January 17, 2019, 10:30:00 am »
    I got that book a long time ago so I downloaded it to see and I don't even have page numbers at all, just locations. Since I already read it it shows 18778 of 19010  :o :o. Long book that. I never did update it, but oddly enough it shows me the new cover with the actors. That was not on when I bought it as the show hadn't started yet.
    Not only that I don't have a table of content at all. I can only go to beginning, cover and page or location.

Offline amyberta

• View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: January 17, 2019, 02:30:43 pm »
    I got that book a long time ago so I downloaded it to see and I don't even have page numbers at all, just locations. Since I already read it it shows 18778 of 19010  :o :o. Long book that. I never did update it, but oddly enough it shows me the new cover with the actors. That was not on when I bought it as the show hadn't started yet.
    Not only that I don't have a table of content at all. I can only go to beginning, cover and page or location.
    Thats really strange. It says there are 49 chapters and Im on 21. I hope that is the whole book.

Offline Linjeakel

• United Kingdom
    • Erm .....
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: January 18, 2019, 07:34:41 am »
    I also have this book on Kindle and everything seems to be OK with it.

Unlike Atunah I do have page numbers available as well as locations, however the contents don't show chapter numbers, they show parts one to seven with various chapter titles under each part but with no numbers to the chapters - I counted 49 though. It doesn't say which page or location each chapter is on in the contents, you have to look in the 'go to' option for that and it only shows the location, not the page number.

The last page of the actual story, not including the 'also available' stuff etc, is page 963, location 16248.

You could report it to Amazon, but the important thing is, is the whole book there and can you read it?
    Linda

Offline CS

• Parts Unknown
    • Five-Star Ranking Agent 337
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: January 18, 2019, 09:28:34 am »
    Had a weird issue with the book Twelve Patients: Life and Death at Bellevue Hospital. It said "Book Completed" (or words to that effect) several chapters before that was actually the case. At first I thought it was an issue with my sparkling new Paperwhite 4, so I checked it on my PW2 (when I still had it), and sure enough, same thing there too.

I had a different issue with Wrestle Maniacs (a KU book I tried). At first, it told me "x minutes left in chapter" for each short story. But by the 5th or 6th story, it treated the rest of the book as one giant chapter. I noticed it when the Kindle indicated something ridiculous like I had 2 hours and 56 minutes left in the chapter. 

Sometimes these things are not just "coded" well for whatever reason.
    « Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 09:32:55 am by CS »

Offline barryem

• View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: January 18, 2019, 10:49:32 am »
    I had a problem with a book last week.  I began reading "A Is for Alibi" on my Paperwhite 4 and my phone and when I tried to download it to my Voyage it told me I'd reached the license limit.  I checked all my other devices and none had that book downloaded.

I called Amazon to see if the limit could actually be that low.  I've never encountered that before, and they said the limit was 6 devices.  I only had it on 2.  The Kindle support guy suggested resetting, which I did, but that didn't help.

Finally I looked in my Content and Devices page for the book and it said there was an update available and there was a button to get the update.  I clicked it and the problem was solved.

Amazon has a feature you can opt into for automatic updates and I've always kept that on so I've never actually been asked to manually update a book before.

The support guy said it was probably some kind of glitch in their system, which may be right.  I still have no idea what happened but I finished the book on my phone and 2 Kindles so that's that.

Barry

Offline amyberta

• View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: January 18, 2019, 02:51:51 pm »
    After all this, I decided not to finish the book. It was to long and I wasnt really enjoying it. Ill probably watch it on Starz though.

Offline Linjeakel

• United Kingdom
    • Erm .....
      • View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: January 19, 2019, 08:46:28 am »
    After all this, I decided not to finish the book. It was to long and I wasnt really enjoying it. Ill probably watch it on Starz though.

That's a shame, in most cases books are better than the films/tv series and this series of books are very good. But I can understand after all the distractions and messing about you've lost the thread of the book and with such a long story you probably don't want to start again.  :(
    Linda

Offline gaidinsgirl

• View Profile
    Pages
    « Reply #15 on: January 31, 2019, 06:13:51 am »
    It is a problem with dragonfly in amber. I have it for kindle and just finished rereading it last week and it was at page 148 the whole time. I remember that happening the other three times I've read that book as well.
    The whole book is there, but it doesn't have correct page count.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    « Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 06:18:07 am by gaidinsgirl »

KBoards.com

• Advertisement