Author Topic: K3 why Graphite?  (Read 4572 times)  

Offline luvmy4brats

• Enabler Extraordinaire
  • Eastern Shore, MD
    • View Profile
Re: K3 why Graphite?
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2010, 07:45:03 am »
Patrizia, I'm ordering the graphite so that it blends in better with my covers and skins. I expect the black straps on the Oberons will just disappear. I also think that the white looks cheap and gets dirty way too easy.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline DD

• Member #484
      • View Profile
    « Reply #26 on: July 30, 2010, 08:07:15 am »
    Like many of you I ordered the wifi 3G and I was looking at Leslies poll and saw most of you ordered graphite.
    Try as I might it just looks dingy and very masculine to me. I am curious.. what am I missing.. why did you go for the graphite.

I keep looking at it but can;t seem to get on board with it..

I like a dark frame around the Kindle screen.  On my current K2, I have the matte Solid State Black skin.  It's very elegant looking, actually - like a 'little black dress'.  :D  The graphite allows me to have the black frame in a nice clean skinless look.  Very sleek, in my opinion.  I can indulge my love for color with my covers - Red!!
    Kindles I have owned or now own:
    K1, K2, KK, DX, Touch, FireHD, PW2, Voyage, Oasis8th gen, Oasis9th gen, PW10th gen, Oasis10th gen

Offline Kathy

• Lighthouse Point, FL
    • Member 376
      • View Profile
    « Reply #27 on: July 30, 2010, 08:08:19 am »
    I love the white. The graphite just didn't appeal to me. It doesn't matter anyway, it will have a skin as soon as they come out. I just love changing skins.  ;D

Offline malligator

• View Profile
    « Reply #28 on: July 30, 2010, 08:10:42 am »
    I'm getting graphite with an orange cover to match the colors of my most prized possession. :)

Seriously, though, I am getting a graphite for the perceived contrast boost and because I'm getting a cover with light and I think the graphite will reflect the LED less so it will be more comfortable to look at for long periods of time.
    « Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 08:12:28 am by malligator »

Offline DD

• Member #484
      • View Profile
    « Reply #29 on: July 30, 2010, 08:17:20 am »
    I'm getting graphite with an orange cover to match the colors of my most prized possession. :)

Seriously, though, I am getting a graphite for the perceived contrast boost and because I'm getting a cover with light and I think the graphite will reflect the LED less so it will be more comfortable to look at for long periods of time.

Cool!  Way to personalize your Kindle!
    Kindles I have owned or now own:
    K1, K2, KK, DX, Touch, FireHD, PW2, Voyage, Oasis8th gen, Oasis9th gen, PW10th gen, Oasis10th gen

Offline Jacqdenco

• OHIO
      • View Profile
    « Reply #30 on: July 30, 2010, 08:24:16 am »
    My K2 was getting dingy from me eating while reading so I bought a skin for it.  To keep it clean.  With graphite, I do not have to worry about it any more.   ;)

Offline mlewis78

• New York, NY
    • Member #3406
      • View Profile
    « Reply #31 on: July 30, 2010, 03:07:04 pm »
    If they had fuschia, I'd order one!

I just put a new dark skin on my K2 and thought of how much better it would have blended into a dark kindle. Wish Decalgirl made the skins to cover all the white.  It's Monet Waterlilies.
    New York, NY
    Flutist, retired legal word processing operator
    Readers:  Oasis 2, Kindle Fire 8 HD Plus, Paperwhite 2 (2013) (gave away), Fire HDX 8.9" (won't hold a charge now), Fire HD6 (2014 pink), 2012 K4(black), K4(silver), KFHD 7", K3 that won't charge, Kindle DX (US), Sony PRS-350, B&N Nook STR and Bookeen Cybook Opus

Offline Patrizia

• Charlotte, NC
      • View Profile
    « Reply #32 on: July 30, 2010, 04:25:13 pm »
    Thanks all for the great responses.. a few things I want to comment on.

First of all I never said masculine is unattractive but I admit it, I am a girly girl so masculine things don't appeal to me (was not trying to offend anyone, it was just a question)

I agree with many of you that mention the all black.. I would have gone for that, I love it on my I pad and I won't put a skin on that because of it.

It seems that those of you that have seen the graphite in person like it. I do find the white stark but I am like many of you and plan to throw a skin on it.

Brats.. you make a good point.. since I am an Oberon girl that does make sense with the straps.

I wish I knew what skins decalgirl was putting out.. maybe that could help me decide which route to go.. you guys are great and I really appreciate all your views on it! This board has changed my mind on more then one accessories.. Lord knows I have the covers, skins and bags to prove it :)
    We never see things as they are... We see them as we are... Anais Nin

Offline meglet

• Seattle
    • rambling on. . .
      • View Profile
      • Meglet Rambles On
    « Reply #33 on: July 30, 2010, 05:05:44 pm »
    I have the Graphite DX and I find that it really disappears more than the white casing on the K2. Even with a skin, the white buttons and edge around the screen on the K2 were always there, and were just bright enough against whatever I was reading that I always "saw" them, if you know what I mean. With the dark color of the graphite, even without a skin, it really does just go away, and I find it much more comfortable and less distracting to read on. (Plus a dark skin looks REALLY good, see my avatar pic or gallery thread with my DX Graphite photos.)

In person, it's a very nice dark gray color, not dingy at all, and while I'm not as much of a girly girl as you  :D I would consider it more sleek than masculine.

Then again, I've always preferred black electronics to silver.

Offline luvmy4brats

• Enabler Extraordinaire
    • Eastern Shore, MD
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34 on: July 30, 2010, 05:09:55 pm »
    I have the Graphite DX and I find that it really disappears more than the white casing on the K2. Even with a skin, the white buttons and edge around the screen on the K2 were always there, and were just bright enough against whatever I was reading that I always "saw" them, if you know what I mean. With the dark color of the graphite, even without a skin, it really does just go away, and I find it much more comfortable and less distracting to read on. (Plus a dark skin looks REALLY good, see my avatar pic or gallery thread with my DX Graphite photos.)

In person, it's a very nice dark gray color, not dingy at all, and while I'm not as much of a girly girl as you  :D I would consider it more sleek than masculine.

Then again, I've always preferred black electronics to silver.

It's your Kindle that convinced me that I needed the Graphite. It looks AMAZING with that skin on. You don't even notice the buttons or anything.

Offline Cardinal

• View Profile
    « Reply #35 on: July 30, 2010, 05:19:13 pm »
    I do find the white stark but I am like many of you and plan to throw a skin on it.

With the white K2 I picked a dark skin to help improve the contrast.  I think the black border (and Pearl technology) around the K3 opens up lighter skin possibilities and still have good contrast. 

Offline Skydog

• Cities around the world
      • View Profile
    « Reply #36 on: July 30, 2010, 05:20:56 pm »
    Patrizia,

The graphite is indeed rich-looking and classy, one could even say elegant.  It is a nice choice by Amazon being less ordinary, or stark, as black might be, IMHO.  Big thumbs up.

Having the DXG now for a while, I have decided not to skin it (or my upcoming K3) as I have my previous white Kindles.  I prefer the look of the graphite, as it really enhances the beautiful Pearl e-ink display and hence my reading experience.  With the interior of Amazon's cover, it completely "disappears" while reading (as I expect it will with any gray or black interior, i.e. Oberon).

It is a color that is equally appealing to male or female.

Personally, I am really tired of looking at white anything, thanks to Steve Jobs.
    « Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 05:24:57 pm by Skydog »
    DX and K2 x 2

Offline Tom Diego

• San Diego, CA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #37 on: July 30, 2010, 05:25:24 pm »
    Most of the reasons that I chose black have already been mentioned but wanted to bring up a new revelation.  I bought my K2i four weeks ago and put the DecalGirl black and red Bullseye skin on it only a week ago, but it bugged me that the white showed at the edges.  Since I was within the 30 day window when they announced the K3, I immediately ordered a graphite.  When I pulled off the skin to send it back, which had only been on for a week, I was astonished how different it looked when it was bare white again.  It almost looked ugly!  I may or may not skin my Graphite K3, but the same skin will look much better on it than on the white.

My wife on the other hand, had the DecalGirl Orange Crush skin which fades to white from right to left.  It really looks good on the white.  She went and looked at all of the DecalGirl skins again and decided that for the designs she likes, they will look better on a white, so she ordered a white K3.

Offline mlewis78

• New York, NY
    • Member #3406
      • View Profile
    « Reply #38 on: July 30, 2010, 05:29:30 pm »
    Electronics and appliances go through phases of colors being popular.  When I bought my microwave, silver or stainless was the most popular, although they were still selling white.  Apple made white popular with it's first few generation of kindles and then they went to black.  They change the various colors of their nano with each new gen (sometimes they come up with some ugly colors, in my opinion).

As far as dinginess, it's not an issue.  Whether black , white or skinned the dirt is still there and the kindle should be wiped down now and then.  Germs are still there too no matter what the color.
    New York, NY
    Flutist, retired legal word processing operator
    Readers:  Oasis 2, Kindle Fire 8 HD Plus, Paperwhite 2 (2013) (gave away), Fire HDX 8.9" (won't hold a charge now), Fire HD6 (2014 pink), 2012 K4(black), K4(silver), KFHD 7", K3 that won't charge, Kindle DX (US), Sony PRS-350, B&N Nook STR and Bookeen Cybook Opus

Offline Patrizia

• Charlotte, NC
      • View Profile
    « Reply #39 on: July 30, 2010, 05:32:17 pm »
    so those of you that own it.. its not a dull dark grey? thats what I am seeing but those that have the color would you say its richer in person.

also GOOD point about the keys under the skin THAT I had not thought of

Offline luvmy4brats

• Enabler Extraordinaire
    • Eastern Shore, MD
      • View Profile
    « Reply #40 on: July 30, 2010, 05:34:34 pm »
    Patrizia, I've seen the graphite and it's not dull at all.

Take a look at this thread:

https://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,30341.msg560404/boardseen.html#new

You can see how it just disappears. (The white around the skin edges has ALWAYS bugged me)

Offline meglet

• Seattle
    • rambling on. . .
      • View Profile
      • Meglet Rambles On
    « Reply #41 on: July 30, 2010, 05:35:15 pm »
    so those of you that own it.. its not a dull dark grey? thats what I am seeing but those that have the color would you say its richer in person.

also GOOD point about the keys under the skin THAT I had not thought of

It's a shimmery sort of gray, not a dull gray. It's one of those colors that really just don't show well in pictures.

Offline Tom Diego

• San Diego, CA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #42 on: July 30, 2010, 05:45:14 pm »
    Personally, I am really tired of looking at white anything, thanks to Steve Jobs.

Haha, this is why all of my various iPods have been any color except white.  Although when I bought my current HP laptop a couple of years ago, they had a Special Edition in white, so I ordered that just to be a contrarian.  But it has a white on white pattern, not stark white.

Offline Vegas_Asian

• Sin City
    • I know KungFu and 50 other dangerous words!!!
      • View Profile
    K3 why Graphite?
    « Reply #43 on: July 30, 2010, 05:47:40 pm »
    I live in Vegas. Ask Luvmy4BRATs about the degree of brightness the sun is most of the year. The white of my kindle1 practically glows in the sun. Also the graphite will look awesome with the Red plaid design from decal girl (hoping they will have it for the k3)

Offline RiddleMeThis

• View Profile
    « Reply #44 on: July 30, 2010, 06:12:10 pm »
    Decalgirl now makes every pattern on every device that they offer; you just have to pay a bit extra to get them to rush it.
    Check out my Equine Genetics Blog - Updated April 25th with Splashed White!

Offline Patrizia

• Charlotte, NC
      • View Profile
    « Reply #45 on: July 30, 2010, 06:13:02 pm »
    It's a shimmery sort of gray, not a dull gray. It's one of those colors that really just don't show well in pictures.

THAT is helpful.. it looks very dingy to me on the monitor.. but shimmery sounds nicer

I did know that about Decalgirl.. they have done some custom pieces for my laptop.. but sometimes you can't see how it will turn out until you get it

Offline Skydog

• Cities around the world
      • View Profile
    « Reply #46 on: July 30, 2010, 06:27:19 pm »
    THAT is helpful.. it looks very dingy to me on the monitor.. but shimmery sounds nicer

Well, I do not find the bezel of my DXG "dull" at all, but it is not "shimmery" either.  It is a pleasant dark charcoal with subtle cream, or gold markings on the keys and buttons.   I've been meaning to look at it closer with a magnifying glass  :D   It's not a "flat" graphite (as in paint) if that is concerning you.

The only thing I am unhappy about is the white power cord.  I was hoping it/they would match but I suppose that would be too much to ask.

Just order the darned thing, already!  You've got 30 days to decide and nothing to lose.

P.S.  I agree with other posters - even skinned, it will look far, far better with the graphite rather than white keys.
    « Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 06:45:35 pm by Skydog »
    DX and K2 x 2

Offline Mandy

• Under a Carolina blue sky
      • View Profile
      • My journey as a middle ear implant clinical trial patient
    « Reply #47 on: July 30, 2010, 07:11:41 pm »
    It's funny - when I saw the graphite DX, I didn't like it at all. Yet, when I saw the graphite K3, I knew I wanted that one over the white one. Since I've already got a white K2i that I'm keeping, the graphite will be a nice change.

Offline Patrizia

• Charlotte, NC
      • View Profile
    « Reply #48 on: July 30, 2010, 07:55:40 pm »
    Lol sky dog.. With that description how can I say no ;) yes it looked flat on the screen.. This is hey I asked :)

Offline Dazlyn

• Vancouver, WA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #49 on: July 30, 2010, 08:01:38 pm »
    Patrizia,

I also thought that the white was nicer looking initially than the graphite.  But, now I just changed my order to graphite because I like the contrast better and I think I could actually save some money and leave it skinless (oh, the horror!).  If I ordered the white, then I would have to skin it because I don't like the look of the naked white Kindle - its just too stark for me.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement