Kindle Forum banner

C.S. Lewis Space Trilogy

2K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  Shaohao 
#1 ·
I'm a big C.S. Lewis fan, both fiction and non-fiction.  I've read everything he's ever written except the Space Trilogy.  Can anyone share any insights on that trilogy? Worth reading?

#5 ·
I read this series a few times in my teens/20s.  I was a C.S. Lewis fan (for his fiction).  However, as I got older I became more aware of Lewis' prejudices and biases which are quite apparent in his fiction.  In particular, this series is seriously sexist and homophobic.  I like Lewis' plot ideas and writing style, but his prejudices make them just impossible for me to enjoy as a mature adult.

#6 ·
Out of the Silent Planet is my fav in the series. Lewis is one of my all time favorite authors, fiction and non-fiction.

Lee said:
I read this series a few times in my teens/20s. I was a C.S. Lewis fan (for his fiction). However, as I got older I became more aware of Lewis' prejudices and biases which are quite apparent in his fiction. In particular, this series is seriously sexist and homophobic. I like Lewis' plot ideas and writing style, but his prejudices make them just impossible for me to enjoy as a mature adult.

#10 ·
They're...interesting. Be aware they're planetary romances and *not* in any way, shape or form, science fiction. More fantasy set on other planets.

And, yes, you have to realize that Lewis is being quite preachy in places with them. In some interesting ways, including going into the idea of the demiurge more than I realized when I read them as a kid.

#12 ·
I read it many years ago and recall that each book had a different "feel" to it. It didn't have the sense of cohesion that Lewis' Chronicles of Narnia had, where the location was the same but the characters and even timelines were different. I love C. S. Lewis, and enjoy both his fiction and essays, but didn't feel that sci-fi was his strong point.

#13 ·
Hi, haven't read space trilogy. I'll have to try and check some of them out. Growing up in same town C.S.Lewis the Narnia books featured heavily through school years. Interesting (to me  ;)) segue, a few years ago through work I had opportunity to work in both his childhood home (the one with the wardrobe) and his fathers church (St. Marks) which has quite a bit of imagery, iconography. It's now about 300m from C.S Lewis Square where there's a statue of the man with the famous wardrode.

#14 ·
I have not read nor known that C.S. Lewis has written a space trilogy. But now I am definitely interested! I have to run down around and check the bookstores. I do have a kindle and I do use it (especially during commute) but there are times when I prefer a physical book in my hand. Like when I lie in bed in the evening. I respect C.S. Lewis and this would be one of the instances when I definitely want a physical copy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.