Author Topic: TiVo anyone?  (Read 271 times)  

Offline Sandpiper

• Chicago 'burbs
  • How could you not smile back at Bonnie?
    • View Profile
TiVo anyone?
« on: January 30, 2019, 03:50:04 pm »
There must be more than me only who has TiVo.  What do you do for recording TV?  I have had TiVo since May '04.  Was going vacation and wanted to record . . . .  Not enough time on VCR tape to record what I wanted.  I am on my 4th TiVo box.  First two lasted 3 - 4 years each.  Next one 1 year.  Current Premiere XL is going on 7 years.  Knock on wood.  Never really have had a problem with this box.  (The other three weren't bad.). Maybe had to call for tech help couple times.  Unplug / plug fixes most anything.  I always have gotten lifetime service with the box -- don't pay monthly.  I sold one of my older boxes on Craig's List.  A lot of them are listed.  Service is transferred with the box.  Mine was grabbed up fast. 

I love my TiVo!  :)

My bro beagle (1954-1966).  I still miss him big time.
His last collar hangs on my bedpost.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline CegAbq

• Albuquerque, NM
      • View Profile
    Re: TiVo anyone?
    « Reply #1 on: January 30, 2019, 05:26:24 pm »
    I've got a Tivo as well! Had a Roamio basic model for about 4 years now - still going strong.
    Love it!
    Carol in 'burque

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to Skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and shouting: Damn-What a ride!

Offline Mike D. aka jmiked

• Terra firma
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: January 30, 2019, 07:10:36 pm »
     I had a TiVo back around 2000/2002. When I switched over to DirecTV, I got the DirecTV TiVo model. I liked it a lot. I finally had to switch to the DirectTV DVR to get HDTV, and Ive been there ever since. Ill probably be canceling DirecTV sometime this year, and I will most likely get a Romio just to record off the air channels.  I hope the TiVo software interface has not changed all that much, that was a huge selling point for me. 

Offline CegAbq

• Albuquerque, NM
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: January 30, 2019, 07:47:56 pm »
    Tivo getting a Roku app

So a couple of months ago I explored whether I could cut the cord to save some significant money from our Triple-play Xfinity service & subscribe to the YouTube TV service. I got a Roku to try out Youtube's 7-day-trial. There are definitely some features about the Roku that I like. In the end, factoring in the speed that I wanted out of the internet service (be it with Xfinity or some other ISP), YouTube's monthly fee, and a couple of special channel subscriptions I would want, I wouldn't really save that much money.

Also, with the YouTube cloud DVR service, it only saves your recordings for 9 months.

And I love love love Tivo's skip straight through commercials!
    Carol in 'burque

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to Skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and shouting: Damn-What a ride!

Offline Sandpiper

• Chicago 'burbs
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: January 30, 2019, 09:03:14 pm »
    I tried streaming via TiVo with my previous box or maybe it was my current but a few years ago.  "Back then" TiVo didn't stream well.  So I have both Fire TV and Apple TV for streaming.  I still watch plenty of OTA TV.  Can't imagine watching TV without TiVo. 

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: January 31, 2019, 06:49:04 am »
    I had one back in 2001/2002. I'd have to look at my records. I got one with extra storage space and also got the lifetime service at the time so I didn't have any extra fee. It was great. I loved it a lot, the way the recordings worked and all that. But unfortunately, it was an older model and our apartments at the time got another service provider and it was not compatible anymore. It couldn't do HD. We didn't have a HD TV at the time. Once we did, I couldn't use it. Never could use it again and never really wanted to spend the money for another. I had Uverse for years after and they always told me I could not use a Tivo with the service and had to use their stoopid cable box.

I actually still  had it all these years sitting on top of my old VCR player in the TV stand.  ;D. I just threw it out when I moved in December. It was sad, but it wasn't useful anymore.

Now that I cut the cord, I have some of those functions back I liked about the Tivo. Not all of them of course, but YoutubeTV has a great cloud DVR and so does PhiloTV. All way better than the mess those cable boxes do.

I wouldn't really know how I would incorporate a Tivo now that I cut the cord and use the different things. YoutubeTV, Philo, Amazon Video, TennisTV, Netflix and sometimes Hulu, Curiosity stream.

So when you say they will get Roku, one could then watch everything that one can watch via Roku right now? But how does it work with the programming stuff then since that is all streaming. Tivo's magic happened with the regular channels so not sure how it would pick up stuff from say youtubeTV or any of the other live streaming services and still do its thing.

I don't have OTA, I get all my locals via the YoutubeTV app. I'll have to so some research.

Offline Sandpiper

• Chicago 'burbs
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: February 01, 2019, 04:40:29 am »
    My TiVo Premiere XL box is an older model, but works / works fine for me.  It can stream, but I've never tried through the box because I have both a Fire TV and Apple TV.  When streaming was newer, TiVo offered very limited streaming platforms so back then TiVo was not good for streaming.  Now looks like it offers many more.  But, again, I don't stream through TiVo.

I've never had cable or satellite at all.  As I understood it which I didn't and still don't, watching cable TV in connection with TiVo makes hardware part of TiVo a little more complicated / difficult?  I don't know.  Never have been involved with that.  I now and have always watched live TV via a rooftop antenna.  I'm in a five story condo building with a good, working antenna on top.  Connecting TiVo to that is easy -- just plug the cord from the antenna hook-up in the wall into the back of the TiVo box.  Done.  Watching and recording live TV is easy with TiVo.  Works very well.  But as my TiVo box is older, I need a TiVo adapter thingy which sits on top of box to get programming schedule and TiVo updates.  That's how it hooks up to the internet.  I think in newer TiVo boxes, that's part of the works in the box.  In my older boxes in the past, had an ethernet cord that went from back of box to a phone plug in the wall. 

I cannot imagine watching TV without TiVo.  Prior to TiVo, I'd always had ye olde print TV Guide.  That was getting bad when they tried to include cable channel listings.  At first I thought -- how can you know what's on TV without a TV Guide??  It's on the TV screen with TiVo. 

TiVo is the best!   :)

KBoards.com

• Advertisement