Author Topic: kindles with text to speach search  (Read 311 times)  

Offline donjeff

• View Profile
kindles with text to speach search
« on: February 09, 2019, 07:52:17 pm »
I just bought the new paperwhite kindle with the (Miss) understanding that it would perform text to speech over a Bluetooth earphone or speakers.  I now find that it only works with audible.   I am on limited income so audile books are not a solution. 
This device is useless and a waste of my money because of it and I expect I will dispose of it somehow.
I am now searching for a device which will perform to my needs. 
Note that I also have the kindle fire tablet but the text to speech on both units stops playing after a random time period and it requires to manually restarting it constantly.  I have seen it stop after a few minutes.  After contacting Amazon for help I have given up on this as well. 
So do any of you know of a device which will read my books to me?   If I need to I will switch away form amazon for my books so that is not a stopper for me.
Thanks, Don

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Brownskins

• Dallas, Texas
      • View Profile
    Re: kindles with text to speach search
    « Reply #1 on: February 09, 2019, 09:05:58 pm »
    Hey there - welcome to the world of Kindle.  Amazon replaced the text to speech function with voice view.  Same thing.  Just a marginally better computer voice.

Once you have voice view on and the book open, you swipe diagonally down the whole page and it will begin reading it.
    Train rides + Kindle reads = Win!

A few of my thoughts and reviews are posted here:  https://simplyctrocks.blogspot.com/

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
    • Not really a moderator. :)
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: February 10, 2019, 04:26:21 am »
    AND ... to turn 'voice view' on, you go to the 'accessibility' section of the settings pages. Review the User Guide for more information; it's not something I've personally ever used.

That said, if you determine it is not the correct device for you, you can return the kindle within the first 30 days, no questions asked. Contact Kindle support. Normally, they charge only return shipping, but if you explain that it's an issue with accessibility they may waive that. Alternatively, you should be able to get a decent price for a nearly-new unit via various re-selling venues. Note that the current price of a NEW one is $99.99, though that's a sale price and will likely return to $129.99 after Valentine's day.

I'm not aware of any other devices that have a feature like this, but I admit to limited knowledge of other devices at all. Sorry. :(
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline barryem

• View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: February 10, 2019, 12:40:21 pm »
    Another option is an Android smartphone.  You can usually pick one up for half the price of a Kindle if you shop carefully on Amazon.  Installing the Kindle app is free and will give you text to speech.  You don't need phone service to do this.  I bought a Moto G Verizon phone for $43 on sale about 3 years ago to use for watching videos.  I ended up not using it for that and I have the Kindle app on it and the Audible app.  I've never gotten a Verizon account.  It works fine for what I use it for.

You can do this with nearly any phone.  Service isn't needed.  I doubt Verizon even knows I exist.

Barry

Offline gaidinsgirl

• View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: February 11, 2019, 06:12:50 am »
    I use voice view for text to speech almost daily on my Paperwhite. I love it! Go to the help section about it to learn how to use it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KBoards.com

• Advertisement