Author Topic: How would I sync my collections from my K2i to the new K3?  (Read 1441 times)  

Offline AlexJouJou

• Washington, D.C.
    • View Profile
How would I sync my collections from my K2i to the new K3?
« on: July 30, 2010, 07:50:02 pm »
I saw on the new Kindle thread that you can do this.

How do you do this? I'm interested since I'm currently organizing away on my K2i so when it goes to my Dad it is really clean and well organized. I am also making a word list of all the books on it with their amazon blurb...this is going to take all of August with 250 books! But he doesn't have internet..and I thought about how awful it would be to decide on a book with title only and not to know what you are reading

Unless there is a way to see the "back" blurb from the book or inside book jacket cover in the book? ( I haven't noticed anything except on a few books)

So how would I sync the collections so I didn't have to redo?
Switched coasts - lovin' this side of the country!

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Patrizia

• Charlotte, NC
      • View Profile
    Re: How would I sync my collections from my K2i to the new K3?
    « Reply #1 on: July 30, 2010, 07:53:29 pm »
    When you get the new one go to your archives. Right at the top it asks you something about syncing the collections. I did this when I had to change kindles. The account still must be registered with both kindles on it for it to work
    We never see things as they are... We see them as we are... Anais Nin

Offline luvmy4brats

• Enabler Extraordinaire
    • Eastern Shore, MD
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: July 30, 2010, 07:56:48 pm »
    Make sure your K2 is synced with your Kindle account (Home>Menu>Sync & Check for items)

Load any & all books onto your K3 that you want. Then go into archives on your K3 and select Add Other Device Collections (It takes a few seconds to bring it up) Then select the name of your K2 (It may be the only one on the list if that's the only other Kindle you have)

There you go.

The key is to put the books on first and then sync the collections.

As for descriptions, if the book is already on the Kindle, your dad can push the 5-way to the right and click on Book Description and it will take him to the description on Amazon.

Offline Patrizia

• Charlotte, NC
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: July 30, 2010, 07:57:38 pm »
    I knew I posted this! Here is the link with more detail

https://www.kboards.com/index.php?topic=29848.0

« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 08:00:37 pm by Patrizia »
    We never see things as they are... We see them as we are... Anais Nin

Offline meglet

• Seattle
    • rambling on. . .
      • View Profile
      • Meglet Rambles On
    « Reply #4 on: July 30, 2010, 07:58:06 pm »
    It's pretty easy, but not necessarily obvious.

1. Download all books from your archive to your new Kindle (or, all books you want on the Kindle)
    2. Once all the books are there, go back to Archive, the to Add Other Device Collections
    3. Pick the name of your K2i (don't de-register it until you've done this!)
    4. Say OK to the warning that you are about to add the collections and your items will be automatically organized, blah blah blah
    5. Wait while the Kindle organizes itself, voila, you're done!

Edit - or what luv said, as her Kindle obviously didn't crash and reboot in the middle of trying to look up the steps!

Offline luvmy4brats

• Enabler Extraordinaire
    • Eastern Shore, MD
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: July 30, 2010, 08:00:57 pm »
    It's pretty easy, but not necessarily obvious.

1. Download all books from your archive to your new Kindle (or, all books you want on the Kindle)
    2. Once all the books are there, go back to Archive, the to Add Other Device Collections
    4. Say OK to the warning that you are about to add the collections and your items will be automatically organized, blah blah blah
    5. Wait while the Kindle organizes itself, voila, you're done!

Edit - or what luv said, as her Kindle obviously didn't crash and reboot in the middle of trying to look up the steps!

Yes, but yours was all numbered and organized looking ;)

Offline Tom Diego

• San Diego, CA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: July 30, 2010, 09:34:39 pm »

Since my K2i was less than 30 days old I sent it off to Amazon today.  Of course, this now means that there isn't any "other" Kindle to match the collection from when my K3 arrives.  Oh well, at least I only had about 60 books and a dozen collections in the 28 days that I had it.

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Super Moderators-5
    • Not a moderator and haven't ben one for a year.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: July 31, 2010, 06:06:01 am »
    For future reference. . . in case this thread gets buried. . . . bookmark this link:  http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_navbox_top_kindlelgi?nodeId=200503360

It's a page from Kindle support that will answer most questions. . . near the bottom are also links to the users guides which you can download as a pdf if you want to read ahead.

Yeah, I already did that. ::)

Anyway, I recall that they did provide step by step instructions for the process. . . . . .
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline Shetlander

• Border Collie is My Co-Pilot
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: July 31, 2010, 06:40:52 am »
    Since my K2i was less than 30 days old I sent it off to Amazon today.  Of course, this now means that there isn't any "other" Kindle to match the collection from when my K3 arrives.  Oh well, at least I only had about 60 books and a dozen collections in the 28 days that I had it.

I had to replace my K2 after a screen failure and downloaded about 120 books to the replacement Kindle.  It didn't take very long to recreate my folders.  I found it much quicker to click on each book and choose the folder, rathet than the way I did it the first time which was to click on each folder and then go choose the books.  If that makes any sense. 

Offline AlexJouJou

• Washington, D.C.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: July 31, 2010, 08:28:15 am »
    You all just made my day!

Woohoo!

And

As for descriptions, if the book is already on the Kindle, your dad can push the 5-way to the right and click on Book Description and it will take him to the description on Amazon.

This just saved me HOURS of work! Since I'm sending him the 3G version (which I am pretty sure will work even in Fargo, ND! he'll be able to do this) I'll only have to give descriptions of anything I've loaded (less than 30 books) from other sites!

So excited!
    Switched coasts - lovin' this side of the country!

Offline Tom Diego

• San Diego, CA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: July 31, 2010, 08:34:11 am »

I had to replace my K2 after a screen failure and downloaded about 120 books to the replacement Kindle.  It didn't take very long to recreate my folders.  I found it much quicker to click on each book and choose the folder, rather than the way I did it the first time which was to click on each folder and then go choose the books.  If that makes any sense. 

Before I shipped off the K2i yesterday, I made a Word document with all of the folders and which books were where.  I probably won't bother to download all of the free classics that I went nuts on when I first got it because they're in my archive and I can download them anytime if I were to ever get through my TBR list.

I've done the collection assigning both ways, and I think assigning each book to a collection requires less cursor movement than opening the collection and adding books, especially with a large number of books.

Offline Granvillen

• My Dog - Shadow
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: July 31, 2010, 08:47:34 am »
    A word of warning!  If you download a huge number of books to your new kindle, it will take a long time for the books to be indexed.  When I got a replacement K2i, I almost ran out of battery and could not do anything for awhile.  Make certain you have a full charge and download in small batches.  Don't try to download 300 books at one time.
    Granvillen

Kindle Enabler

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Super Moderators-5
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: July 31, 2010, 09:16:02 am »
    ^^^^^ I second that.  The K3 is supposed to have a better battery but still. . .why tax it if you don't have to!
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Online jj2339

• View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: July 31, 2010, 09:42:25 am »
    So for the amazon purchased books that works, but what about books you got elsewhere, like from Guttenberg or Feedbooks?  Will they get moved into collections too, or is it only the books you bought through Amazon that will be auto-sorted into the collections from your K2?

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Super Moderators-5
      • View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: July 31, 2010, 09:57:27 am »
    If you didn't get the book from Amazon, they, essentially, don't know you have it.  So I would think that after you load it on the Kindle, you'll have to move it to the appropriate collection manually.
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline Linjeakel

• Moderators-10003
    • United Kingdom
    • Erm .....
      • View Profile
    « Reply #15 on: July 31, 2010, 10:06:57 am »
    So for the amazon purchased books that works, but what about books you got elsewhere, like from Guttenberg or Feedbooks?  Will they get moved into collections too, or is it only the books you bought through Amazon that will be auto-sorted into the collections from your K2?

If you didn't get the book from Amazon, they, essentially, don't know you have it.  So I would think that after you load it on the Kindle, you'll have to move it to the appropriate collection manually.

I'm trying to remember whether that's true. When I got my DXG I made the mistake of transferring my collections after downloading my Amazon books but before transferring my non-Amazon books. Because I did it in the wrong order I had to transfer the non-Amazon books manually into the appropriate collections. But I'm certain I didn't have to do that with my first DX. I had two Kindles when collections first arrived and I set them up on my K2 and then loaded the collections onto the DX where I already had the non-Amazon books loaded. I'm fairly certain that doing it that way, i.e. books before collections, that it did in fact put the non-Amazon books into the right collections. The trick is the order - if you make sure you have all your books on the new Kindle before you add your collections I think it will be OK. *fingers crossed*

Linda

Offline KimberlyinMN

• NW Minnesota
    • Kindle PW 4 & Voyage
      • View Profile
    « Reply #16 on: July 31, 2010, 10:42:28 am »

This just saved me HOURS of work! Since I'm sending him the 3G version (which I am pretty sure will work even in Fargo, ND! he'll be able to do this) I'll only have to give descriptions of anything I've loaded (less than 30 books) from other sites!

Hopefully you mean the U.S. version that uses Sprint, right?  Virtually no AT&T service in Fargo.  Well, I guess if he stood out on the Interstate, he'd get one bar of service.  Sprint yes, AT&T no.

Offline KimberlyinMN

• NW Minnesota
    • Kindle PW 4 & Voyage
      • View Profile
    « Reply #17 on: July 31, 2010, 10:43:07 am »
    Well, if all else fails, he can at least transfer books via the computer.

Offline KimberlyinMN

• NW Minnesota
    • Kindle PW 4 & Voyage
      • View Profile
    « Reply #18 on: July 31, 2010, 11:16:26 am »
    After doing a little more research.... AT&T coverage is expanding into ND and NW MN!  http://www.inforum.com/event/image/id/278028/headline/Graphic:%20AT&T%20coverage%20area/  This is promising!! :)  Fargo is in Cass County. (And I see our little county of Clay is also included.)

Offline Whidbeyislandgirl

• View Profile
    « Reply #19 on: July 31, 2010, 12:17:14 pm »
    How will this work with Calibre and collections? Transfer the books from Calibre first, then do the sync collections to get them back in the proper collections? Assuming the K3 has the same software and collections system as the K2. Do we know that it does? Hmmmm......

Offline luvmy4brats

• Enabler Extraordinaire
    • Eastern Shore, MD
      • View Profile
    « Reply #20 on: July 31, 2010, 12:19:16 pm »
    Actually, books bought elsewhere WILL go into the collections properly on your new Kindle. So do personal documents.

I discovered this when I was messing with my Mom's Kindle a few weeks ago. I was setting up collections for her.

Offline luvmy4brats

• Enabler Extraordinaire
    • Eastern Shore, MD
      • View Profile
    « Reply #21 on: July 31, 2010, 12:22:08 pm »
    How will this work with Calibre and collections? Transfer the books from Calibre first, then do the sync collections to get them back in the proper collections? Assuming the K3 has the same software and collections system as the K2. Do we know that it does? Hmmmm......

If the books in Calibre ate Amazon DRMd books, it's not going to work. The books in Calibre are tied to your current Kindle. There's another thread here about Calibre and the K3.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement