Author Topic: Quick question about exchanging my K2US (sunfade)  (Read 659 times)  

Offline cc1013

• View Profile
Quick question about exchanging my K2US (sunfade)
« on: July 30, 2010, 10:06:31 pm »
Hi all,
I recently received a replacement K2US as my previous one froze.  Well, although I thought I had tested it for the sunfade issue, it reared it's ugly head today.  As usual, Amazon customer service is fabulous and will be shipping me a new K2 for delivery on Monday. 
My question is....prior to sending the defective K2US back to Amazon, should I remove the font and screensaver hacks?  I'm assuming so, but just wanted to get thoughts from the experts.  Also, I'm wondering how hard they will be to remove given that the 2.5 hacks required some extra steps.  (I'm sure I'll find that detail already posted somewhere her on KB!)
 ;)
Thanks!

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline MAGreen

• Okinawa, Japan
      • View Profile
    Re: Quick question about exchanging my K2US (sunfade)
    « Reply #1 on: July 30, 2010, 10:28:12 pm »
    In the menu there is an option to restore factory settings, this will remove all hacks and anything stored on the Kindle. I have a K1 so someone with a K2 will have to explain where to find the restore setting! Good luck on your next Kindle!
    K1-Primary, soon to be MIL's
    K1-Daughter's Kindle (Kylie)
    K1-Best Friend's Kindle (Courtney)
    DX-Grandpa's DX
    K3-My New Best Friend
    K3-My Other New Best Friend!
    Inmate #1451

Offline Patrizia

• Charlotte, NC
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: July 30, 2010, 11:44:38 pm »
    When I sent mine back I just went to factory settings, that took care of it and then deregistered it before shipping
    We never see things as they are... We see them as we are... Anais Nin

Offline 1131

• View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: July 30, 2010, 11:49:53 pm »
    Amazon asks that you remove anything you have added to you Kindle including skins, books and hacks.  I've never had hacks on mine but it was specifically mentioned by a CS rep on one of the ones I returned for sun fade.  I reset mine to factory settings which is available by clicking menu when on the settings screen.

Online Ann in Arlington

• Super Moderators-5
    • Not a moderator and haven't ben one for a year.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: July 31, 2010, 06:22:08 am »
    I don't have any hacks but I believe I read somewhere that resetting to factory does NOT remove them. . . . if it was me, I'd run the uninstall files.
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline DD

• Member #484
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: July 31, 2010, 06:30:50 am »
    Even when you run the uninstall files there are some extraneous files left on the Kindle as a result of the hacks.  I ran the uninstalls then hooked my K2 up to my PC via USB and deleted all the files that don't belong there.

I can't believe they're still selling K2us with sun fade!  I had 6!!! of them before I got a good one.  I'll be checking my KDXg immediately.  I hope I won't have to return it but if I do it will certainly be within the 30 day return window so I don't have to go through months of repeated returns.

Good luck.
    « Last Edit: July 31, 2010, 06:35:13 am by DD »
    Kindles I have owned or now own:
    K1, K2, KK, DX, Touch, FireHD, PW2, Voyage, Oasis8th gen, Oasis9th gen, PW10th gen, Oasis10th gen

Offline cc1013

• View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: July 31, 2010, 03:09:09 pm »
    Thanks everyone!  I also remember something about how the factory reset did not remove the hacks, so I will run the uninstall files and then manually delete the extra files as DD suggested.  I appreciate your help!  These boards are awesome!

KBoards.com

• Advertisement