Author Topic: Hi I'm new!  (Read 572 times)  

Offline dian72

• View Profile
Hi I'm new!
« on: July 31, 2010, 11:19:21 am »
Hello everyone, I'm new here. Just discoveredthis site a few minutes ago and I simply had to join. I don't even have my Kindle yet but I'll be pre-ordering the new one soon. I'm sooo excited. :)

I have some questions though. Mostly about Whispernet. I live in Trinidad in the Caribbean, and if I understand it correctly, with Whispernet I will be able to browse and download books at any time, even if I'm not near a WiFi hotspot? I just wondered whether got that correct. Ok thanks guys, I'm off to read some of the other threads to find out even more about the Kindle before I buy.  ;)

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline drenee

• West Virginia
    • Member 527
      • View Profile
    Re: Hi I'm new!
    « Reply #1 on: July 31, 2010, 11:28:34 am »
    Hi, and Welcome to Kindleboards.  I will let someone more knowledgeable answer your questions. 
    deb
    Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life.

WwF  DRA60
    Miss you, Dona, Jeff and Harvey.

Offline masquedbunny

• USA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: July 31, 2010, 11:54:38 am »
    Hello there! I went and had a look at the coverage map on Kindle's product page. It looks like most of Trinidad and Tobago is served by EDGE/GPRS. There are a few blank patches on the map, but all the bigger cities are covered, so you should be good to go. :)

Offline dian72

• View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: July 31, 2010, 12:02:42 pm »
    Hi deb and bunny. Thanks for the greetings. I just looked at the coverage map myself and it seems i'd be connected. That's so hot! 8)

Hello there! I went and had a look at the coverage map on Kindle's product page. It looks like most of Trinidad and Tobago is served by EDGE/GPRS. There are a few blank patches on the map, but all the bigger cities are covered, so you should be good to go. :)

Offline DYB

• NYC
    • Now Reading: "'Salem's Lot"
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: July 31, 2010, 12:39:56 pm »
    Welcome!

If it's for downloading books you can also do it via a USB cable from your computer after downloading the book to your hard-drive from Amazon.

Offline Tom Diego

• San Diego, CA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: July 31, 2010, 12:49:22 pm »
    Since your AT&T coverage is going to be EDGE/GPRS rather than 3G, your connection speed is going to be significantly faster on a Wi-Fi network.  If you have a wireless network in your home, office, or free Wi-Fi at local businesses this would be the preferred way of connecting.  Books download very quickly though, in less than a minute on 3G, so we're not talking hours instead of minutes for the EDGE/GPRS downloads.

Connecting to a Wi-Fi network should be no more complicated than connecting with a laptop, especially one with a recent OS like Vista or Windows 7.  Once you are connected to a Wi-Fi network the Kindle will remember that connection and connect to it automatically whenever you are in range of that connection so this should mean a one-time process to connect to any Wi-Fi network in any place that you frequent.

On previous Kindles Amazon used Whispernet to refer to either their Sprint or AT&T 3G connections.  With the introduction of Wi-Fi, Amazon is referring to Wi-Fi and 3G collectively as Whispernet, with Wi-Fi being the default connection and 3G as a backup.

Offline Patrizia

• Charlotte, NC
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: July 31, 2010, 02:55:40 pm »
    Welcome to the board! Be careful this place has a way of enabling amazing purchases on accessories.. LOL.. but you will meet some of the nicest most helpful people around
    We never see things as they are... We see them as we are... Anais Nin

KBoards.com

• Advertisement