Author Topic: My Amazon gift card has already been billed for my K3 order  (Read 1780 times)  

Offline PraiseGod13

• Iowa
  • <'///>< Member #54
    • View Profile
I thought I would post this in case it has happened to others.  I just got off the phone with CS and they don't know what happened at this point and will get back to me.  I had over $100 on an Amazon gift card... yet when I bought a book for my Kindle, it was charged to my charge card rather than coming off my gift card like it always does.  So, I went to my Amazon account and it shows my gift card balance as $0.00.  I called CS to find out what is going on.... and my K3 pre-order has already been charged to my account using up my gift card.  It isn't supposed to be charged to me until the item ships.... and CS doesn't know why I've already been charged.  I told the rep that I'd be VERY happy if that means that they're shipping my K3 to me.  She said that would apply to me and about a million other customers.  So... no K3 shipping yet..... but I've already been charged.

MaKK (K1) & Shemar (K3)
Books let us into their souls and lay open to us the secrets of our own. ~ William Hazl

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline luvmy4brats

• Enabler Extraordinaire
    • Eastern Shore, MD
      • View Profile
    Re: My Amazon gift card has already been billed for my K3 order
    « Reply #1 on: July 31, 2010, 07:59:27 pm »
    Yes, If you use a gift card for the pre-order they always take the gift card amount immediately. If you use a credit card, they don't bill you until it's been shipped.

You can go in and change your payment method if you don't want it to come off the gift card.

Also, if you get another gift card between now and the time it ships, you can go into the order and apply that gift card to lower the balance to be charged as well.

Offline PraiseGod13

• Iowa
    • <'///>< Member #54
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: July 31, 2010, 08:08:20 pm »
    Yes, If you use a gift card for the pre-order they always take the gift card amount immediately. If you use a credit card, they don't bill you until it's been shipped.

You can go in and change your payment method if you don't want it to come off the gift card.

Also, if you get another gift card between now and the time it ships, you can go into the order and apply that gift card to lower the balance to be charged as well.

Interesting... when I pre-order books... like Stephen King's Under the Dome.... they don't get charged to my gift card until the day they are released and they always give you the option to cancel your order up until the release.  That's how a lot of people who had pre-ordered were able to cancel their pre-order and then re-order when the pre-order price came down.... because they hadn't been charged for it yet.  Maybe they were all using credit cards rather than gift cards.  I just always use my Amazon gift cards.  The lady in CS didn't think it should have been billed until it was shipped either.... confusing.
    « Last Edit: July 31, 2010, 08:10:59 pm by PraiseGod13 »

MaKK (K1) & Shemar (K3)
    Books let us into their souls and lay open to us the secrets of our own. ~ William Hazl

Offline luvmy4brats

• Enabler Extraordinaire
    • Eastern Shore, MD
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: July 31, 2010, 08:14:50 pm »
    I just tested it with a Kindle book pre-order and you're correct, it doesn't charge the gift card balance. I also tested it with a DTB book pre-order and it DID charge my gift card balance.

If you cancel the Kindle order, the amount goes back to your gift card balance instantly, Or like I said, you can go into the payment options under your order and choose not to apply the gift card balance.

Clear as mud?  ;D

Offline PraiseGod13

• Iowa
    • <'///>< Member #54
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: July 31, 2010, 08:28:45 pm »
    I appreciate all your help and detective work!  I just received an email from CS - aren't they the greatest!?!  They said that basically a pre-order puts a "hold" on the funds of my gift card and won't actually be taken until the item ships.    So, I guess the gift card funds are technically still there.... even though I can't access them to pay for Kindle book purchases etc.  I fully intended to use my gift card(s) to pay for my K3 so it's all fine with me.... I was just surprised since all of my experience has been with pre-ordering Kindle books using my gift cards.

MaKK (K1) & Shemar (K3)

Offline debbiev

• View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: July 31, 2010, 09:02:17 pm »
    I was also suprised when I pre-ordered K3 and it was immediately taken out of my gift card balace. I'm happy about it but was hoping nothing was wrong since on all of my pre-ordered Kindle books it's not taken out of my GC balance until the book is sent. I'm relieved I'm not the only one it's happened to :)

Offline mlewis78

• New York, NY
    • Member #3406
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: July 31, 2010, 09:09:36 pm »
    I haven't ordered a K3, but I put one in the cart and went to check out to see how much tax, etc. would be charged, and it showed my gift card amount.  Since I didn't buy, my GC amount is still what it was before I messed around with the cart.  I knew that they don't charge your credit card until they ship.
    New York, NY
    Flutist, retired legal word processing operator
    Readers:  Oasis 2, Kindle Fire 8 HD Plus, Paperwhite 2 (2013) (gave away), Fire HDX 8.9" (won't hold a charge now), Fire HD6 (2014 pink), 2012 K4(black), K4(silver), KFHD 7", K3 that won't charge, Kindle DX (US), Sony PRS-350, B&N Nook STR and Bookeen Cybook Opus

Offline MAGreen

• Okinawa, Japan
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: July 31, 2010, 09:52:00 pm »
    Mine were charged to the gift card as soon as I ordered too. I am not stressing it, that was why the money was there!
    K1-Primary, soon to be MIL's
    K1-Daughter's Kindle (Kylie)
    K1-Best Friend's Kindle (Courtney)
    DX-Grandpa's DX
    K3-My New Best Friend
    K3-My Other New Best Friend!
    Inmate #1451

Offline DYB

• NYC
    • Now Reading: "'Salem's Lot"
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: August 01, 2010, 07:55:00 am »
    I had a balance of $5 on my gift card and it was taken out immediately when I pre-ordered the K3.  The rest of the balance has not been charged to my credit card, though

Offline Magenta

• View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: August 01, 2010, 08:00:48 am »
    I just tested it with a Kindle book pre-order and you're correct, it doesn't charge the gift card balance. I also tested it with a DTB book pre-order and it DID charge my gift card balance.

If you cancel the Kindle order, the amount goes back to your gift card balance instantly, Or like I said, you can go into the payment options under your order and choose not to apply the gift card balance.

Clear as mud?  ;D

It sounds like they treat physical good different from electronic downloads. I'm sure there is something in writing somewhere in their policy statement.

Also, just to point out... it is not very clear how to stop a balance on your Gift Card from being applied to an order.  There is no option unless you click CHANGE PAYMENT METHOD - right before you are going to complete your purchase.

Offline AlexJouJou

• Washington, D.C.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: August 01, 2010, 11:56:37 am »
    Thank you Magenta..I had no idea how to STOP it using the GC! Since my Dad, Sister and I all share the same account (MINE!) and we use GC each to buy our books..and my sister has a habit of leaving a balance (that I TRY to keep track of LOL!) So this is great info..before I had to buy the stuff then go buy another GC and apply it..which was kind of a pain. I mean it worked but a pain with lots more steps.

Switched coasts - lovin' this side of the country!

Offline lynninva

• Central Virginia, USA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: August 01, 2010, 12:40:53 pm »
    I was surprised once when a Kindle book purchase was charged to my credit card instead of the gift card balance.  I was on the subscribe & save plan for coffee (k-cups) and the balance had been applied to that order.  The coffee was not scheduled to ship for at least 2-3 more weeks, so I was not expecting it to hit the GC at that time.  That is when I realized that the GC balance may be allocated in advance.

Offline PraiseGod13

• Iowa
    • <'///>< Member #54
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: August 01, 2010, 01:49:30 pm »
    Thanks to everyone for the additional information.  Knowing exactly how my Amazon account/gift cards/credit cards all work really helps!!

MaKK (K1) & Shemar (K3)

KBoards.com

• Advertisement