Author Topic: Question about KU borrows for Fantasy genre  (Read 550 times)  

Offline Redgum

• View Profile
Question about KU borrows for Fantasy genre
« on: May 02, 2019, 07:01:01 pm »
In my genre (thrillers/crime) I haven noticed an upward trend of borrows to sales. Now it's 2/3 borrows to 1/3 sales in US and 50/50 in UK and I expect it go continue to more borrows. I was wondering what sort of ratio of borrows to sales you have in the fantasy genre, as I have written some fantasy in the past and I'm considering blowing the dust off them and getting them out there. I'm interested to know what I might expect in terms of sale/borrow ratios.

Hope you can help and all the best, R

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline BWFoster78

• View Profile
      • My Official Author Website
    Re: Question about KU borrows for Fantasy genre
    « Reply #1 on: May 03, 2019, 09:13:23 am »
    I'm seeing just a little under a 2 to 1 ratio reads to buys with my fantasy series.

Brian W. Foster | Website | Newletter | Facebook

Offline jable

• View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: May 03, 2019, 10:17:20 am »
    When I was in KU with fantasy it had an edge towards borrows. But, because a sale is worth about 3x as much as a borrow I pulled my stuff from KU. As a result I had an uptick in sales on amazon and a fairly large revenue boost via other stores.

Offline TromboneAl

• Name IRL: Al Macy
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: May 03, 2019, 12:44:37 pm »
    In my genre (thrillers/crime) I haven noticed an upward trend of borrows to sales. Now it's 2/3 borrows to 1/3 sales in US and 50/50 in UK and I expect it go continue to more borrows. I was wondering what sort of ratio of borrows to sales you have in the fantasy genre, as I have written some fantasy in the past and I'm considering blowing the dust off them and getting them out there. I'm interested to know what I might expect in terms of sale/borrow ratios.

Hope you can help and all the best, R

You're talking about the ratio of page-read revenue to sales revenue, right?

We no longer have access to the number of borrows, unless I've missed something.

Al Macy | Web Site

Offline Redgum

• View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: May 04, 2019, 02:24:08 pm »
    I'm seeing just a little under a 2 to 1 ratio reads to buys with my fantasy series.

Thanks BW - to clarify your page reads work out to twice as many KU borrows per book than sales? I ask because with some longer fantasy novels this is important data.

Trombone - Yes, should have been clearer - I mean page reads, and then extrapolate a full sale from those in a vague-ish way!
    « Last Edit: May 04, 2019, 02:25:44 pm by Redgum »

Offline BWFoster78

• View Profile
      • My Official Author Website
    « Reply #5 on: May 06, 2019, 04:19:50 am »
    Thanks BW - to clarify your page reads work out to twice as many KU borrows per book than sales? I ask because with some longer fantasy novels this is important data.

Yes. When I take the Pages Read/KENP and compare that to my number of ebooks sold, the read throughs are not quite twice as many as the sales.

Brian W. Foster | Website | Newletter | Facebook

KBoards.com

• Advertisement