Author Topic: Incompatibility Between Microsoft Word and LibreOffice  (Read 1490 times)  

Offline TromboneAl

• Name IRL: Al Macy
    • View Profile
Incompatibility Between Microsoft Word and LibreOffice
« on: May 15, 2019, 08:40:29 am »
I use Scrivener, but must send my books to my editor in DOCX format.

I've been happy with LibreOffice for implementing her changes, but recently I found that it sometimes fails to show the changes she's made.

I guess I'll have to fix this by buying Microsoft Word.

Have any of you dealt with this problem?

Do you recommend that I buy Microsoft Word?

If so, should I get this one? Or do I need a more professional version?

Thanks.

Al Macy | Web Site

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline TheLass

• View Profile
    Re: Incompatibility Between Microsoft Word and LibreOffice
    « Reply #1 on: May 15, 2019, 08:55:34 am »
    I was thinking about this recently myself as I imagine most editors will use Microsoft Word (I use OpenOffice). I decided I would probably just use their free online version.

Offline TromboneAl

• View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: May 15, 2019, 10:18:51 am »
    I was thinking about this recently myself as I imagine most editors will use Microsoft Word (I use OpenOffice). I decided I would probably just use their free online version.

Thanks, that gave me an idea. I opened the file with the online editor, and it showed the same lack of changes/comments as LibreOffice. I'm checking whether she sent me the wrong file.

Al Macy | Web Site

Offline ShawnaReads

• View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: May 15, 2019, 12:13:59 pm »
    Why don't you just ask her to use LibreOffice instead, since it's free?

Offline Kenneth Rosenberg

• View Profile
      • Kenneth Rosenberg
    « Reply #4 on: May 15, 2019, 12:19:27 pm »
    I use Libre and I always see the proofing marks made in Word.  I've never had a problem.  It sounds like maybe she did send the wrong file.

Kenneth Rosenberg | author website | blog | facebook | twitter

Offline Jerri Kay Lincoln

• Arizona mountains
    • The happier you are, the happier you are . . .
      • View Profile
      • JerriLincoln
    « Reply #5 on: May 15, 2019, 01:04:24 pm »
    I wouldn't get Word if you could possibly avoid it. Scrivener is incredibly awesome. I use Scrivener, and my editor uses an old version of Word. When I send her a file, I format it to be .doc or .docx. And when she sends me a file, I open it in Libre and then make the changes in Scrivener by hand. So unless you auto accept all of your editor's changes . . . Scrivener is something to think about. I highly recommend it.

JK Lincoln

Offline Tobias Roote

• View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: May 15, 2019, 01:10:07 pm »
    Isn't there some box in the config you have to tick to enable the 'see edit' function?
    Want to sell your books on a dedicated Sci-Fi website? Click the link and join up here.

SF Book Review

Offline TromboneAl

• View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: May 15, 2019, 01:55:12 pm »
    Yes, I think the problem is unrelated to differences between Word and LibreOffice. Everything's worked fine in the past (10+ books with her). This time, instead of showing a few individual changes, it's showing that every paragraph in the document has been added. Or something.

Like this:

Thanks for the help.

Al Macy | Web Site

Online Blerg et al.

• View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: May 15, 2019, 02:27:45 pm »
    I edit in libre office and my clients sometimes use word. No problem with track changes or comments. I would only caution that libre office displays tabs, line breaks and preset indentation differently than word does and I could imagine a document's formatting getting mangled in translation. So careful working with final drafts.
    Wyrmwind #2: 15%

Atlas #3: 10%

Gulf Coast Poetry: 90%
    I edit books! Here's my: | kboards editor thread | website

Offline TromboneAl

• View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: May 16, 2019, 06:56:45 am »
    I think I figured it out. My editor changed the formatting of all the text, then changed it back. She didn't find any new errors, but the formatting change showed up.

So, it wasn't LibreOffice's fault.

Al Macy | Web Site

Online Speaker-To-Animals

• View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: May 16, 2019, 09:39:51 am »
    If you're still looking at office and for anyone that is: Office 365 Personal, Office 365 Home, and Office Home and Student are not licensed for commercial use. It's not going to stop you and there's no practical way to tell what version generated what AFAIK, but legally, you need Office 365 business or the "home and business" version of the one-time purchase.

Offline CaptnAndy

• Folsom, CA
      • View Profile
      • Anomally Report
    « Reply #11 on: May 16, 2019, 03:34:33 pm »
    I have used Open Office (both variants) since 2010 to write and publish 16 books to date. The only problem that still bugs me, is loosing the auto indent function when I download to a .docx file. It stays as long as I keep in .odf format, but Amazon won't take that format. If anyone has a solution, please drop me a PM.

Thanks
    After The Final Event: 80%

After The Days Of Infamy: 60%
    A.G. Kimbrough, An Author/Publisher of Historical Fiction and Hard Science Fiction
    A.G. Kimbrough

Online Blerg et al.

• View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: May 17, 2019, 05:10:44 am »
    I have used Open Office (both variants) since 2010 to write and publish 16 books to date. The only problem that still bugs me, is loosing the auto indent function when I download to a .docx file. It stays as long as I keep in .odf format, but Amazon won't take that format. If anyone has a solution, please drop me a PM.

Thanks

When you say both variants, you're referring to Libre Offfice right?
    I hadn't noticed that problem. In fact, I'm looking at my ebook now and not seeing that problem. You're using paragraph settings to automatically indent the first line of a new paragraph? Perhaps you need to update your version? If you're still using Open Office I'd go with one of the other ones, such as Libre Office...I don't think it's been supported for a year or two.
    « Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 07:25:20 am by Blerg et al. »

Offline CaptnAndy

• Folsom, CA
      • View Profile
      • Anomally Report
    « Reply #13 on: May 17, 2019, 10:38:46 am »
    I have used Libre Office for the last 2 years. I keep it updated and use paragraph setting in the auto indent mode, but docx still drops the indent for me. for the suggestions, but I'm already doing them.
    After The Final Event: 80%

After The Days Of Infamy: 60%
    A.G. Kimbrough, An Author/Publisher of Historical Fiction and Hard Science Fiction
    A.G. Kimbrough

Offline Chrissy

• View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: May 18, 2019, 04:00:04 am »
    I have used Libre Office for the last 2 years. I keep it updated and use paragraph setting in the auto indent mode, but docx still drops the indent for me. for the suggestions, but I'm already doing them.

Have you made the indent part of the style of your document?

Online Blerg et al.

• View Profile
    « Reply #15 on: May 21, 2019, 06:46:22 am »
    Have you made the indent part of the style of your document?

Also LibreOffice has a nasty habit of creating new secitions without asking, usually when cutting and pasting from another document. This could void some of your preset document styles. Pasting as unformatted text can help to avoid that. (If only there was a way to paste unformatted without losing hundreds of italics.)

Offline travelinged

• New Mexico USA
      • View Profile
      • My Blog
    « Reply #16 on: May 22, 2019, 12:51:49 pm »
    I'd had problems with formatting in older versions of Word (it would change my carefully worked out layouts) so I had switched to Libre... I liked some things about it, but it sending formatted docx files to make ebooks, it inserted all manner of garbage including styles I never heard of before. So, I got a standalone copy of Word 2019 and not only have they fixed the problems, I love using it a lot more than Libre. I write in Scrivener, but have never loved their editing features so I export to docx to edit. (Sometimes I use ProWriter on the Scrivener document first, but I still find more things, and I can strip out formatting and do the simple kind that ebooks like to see.

Not being a fan of Microsoft, that was a bit of a bitter pill to swallow.

Ed Teja | blog

Offline TromboneAl

• View Profile
    « Reply #17 on: July 31, 2019, 06:56:26 am »
    Got the next book back from my editor, and there are a few new issues with Libreoffice, such as this one:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-_VtRqbtMA" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-_VtRqbtMA</a>

So, I am switching. Two quick questions:

1. Would this be the best place to buy Word: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/word/cfq7ttc0k7c7?activetab=pivot%3aoverviewtab

2. I'm halfway through going over my editor's comments/changes. Any problem with switching to Word midstream? I'm guessing it should take no time to get up to speed on simple editing, viewing changes, etc.

Thanks!
    « Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 06:59:14 am by TromboneAl »

Al Macy | Web Site

Offline Alaric

• England
      • View Profile
      • Alaric Bond
    « Reply #18 on: July 31, 2019, 07:45:31 am »
    I switched form OpenOffice to Word 365 about four months ago. This was due mainly to encountering a corrupt file in OpenOffice - it was just before the launch of a book and, though I had back ups, I didn't want any more problems so thought I would be better off with a paid for programme.
    The switch was relatively painless and I soon got used to the new format and started to enjoy some of the features - a better grammar and spell checker and far more advanced thesaurus. And, probably because I was paying for it, I actually bought and read a manual!
    But when I came to actually launch it was not so easy. Kindle went fine but the procedure for converting Docx to PDF for the print run was a nightmare. The template downloaded from Amazon was all ahoo with gutter and margins way out (still not sure if this was the fault of Amazon or Microsoft but the assistant at Amazon said it was a common occurrence). That sorted I then found I was getting phantom blank pages being inserted within the PDF while the pagination, after a section break, simply would not work.
    One of the advantages of Word 365 is the on-line assistance. This varies greatly as I discovered over the next few days. The final session lasted almost three hours - I sat and watched transfixed as "Helen" manipulated my precious m.s., trying various ways to get the beast into shape. Some of the problems might have come about as the file had been converted from OpenOffice but not all I am certain and, although ultimately successful, it was the most stressful launch ever.
    I now have eight more months of Word so am using it. In most cases all is fine but there have been flaky moment and it is certainly not as solid as Microsoft would like you to think. And for goodness sake treat OneDrive with caution. This is a cloud storage that is the default home for files created. Dangerous to my mind and with features like "AutoSave" which are very misleading. It can be overridden so do.

Alaric Bond | Blog | Website

Offline TromboneAl

• View Profile
    « Reply #19 on: July 31, 2019, 09:05:15 am »
    Thanks, Alaric.

I resisted the move not because of the cost, but because many people recommended LO over Word.

I bought it today and started using it and have had no problems understanding/using it. That is, the midstreaming is going well.

So far, I like it better than LO.

Al Macy | Web Site

Offline Alaric

• England
      • View Profile
      • Alaric Bond
    « Reply #20 on: July 31, 2019, 11:11:41 am »
    I hope it goes well. I bought Essential Office 365 which was a good primer.

(And slightly off topic, I have a King 2b  :) .)

Alaric Bond | Blog | Website

Online Speaker-To-Animals

• View Profile
    « Reply #21 on: July 31, 2019, 11:53:58 am »
    A good cheap option is to buy subscription cards for Office 365, which are sometimes half the cost of the subscription if you pay it via credit card.

Online Shane Lochlann Black

• Lexicon Hollow
    • Write something funny by 4PM or you're fired.
      • View Profile
      • The Committee to Ban Shane Lochlann Black
    « Reply #22 on: July 31, 2019, 12:56:08 pm »
    I've stopped giving software advice. Microsoft Office will always win because it is just the right balance of easy, overpriced and awful. Good software doesn't have a $100 billion marketing department.

Offering better alternatives just leads to arguments, and I'm so tired of the "yeah-but-what-about-thes" and the "why-cant-we-justs."  Use whatever makes you happy. 

Offline TromboneAl

• View Profile
    « Reply #23 on: July 31, 2019, 03:29:58 pm »
    Aargh. First long session, and I just got the message "Word has stopped and some of your work may have been lost." The last change I made was lost, and now I have to figure out what else was lost.

I guess the honeymoon is over.

Al Macy | Web Site

Offline D. A. J. F.

• View Profile
    « Reply #24 on: July 31, 2019, 06:23:34 pm »
    If you're still looking at office and for anyone that is: Office 365 Personal, Office 365 Home, and Office Home and Student are not licensed for commercial use. It's not going to stop you and there's no practical way to tell what version generated what AFAIK, but legally, you need Office 365 business or the "home and business" version of the one-time purchase.

So "Microsoft Office Home and Business" is the way to go for commercial use.
    « Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 06:31:11 pm by D. A. J. F. »

KBoards.com

• Advertisement