Author Topic: "Good Omens" TV series -- preparing for disappointment but hoping for enjoyment  (Read 758 times)  

Offline NogDog

• View Profile
Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch is about to be released on Amazon Prime Video as a mini-series. As it's a book I love and have read multiple times, I now have those mixed emotions of wanting to watch it, but dreading that they'll mess it up in some way. I guess I'm in a "hoping for the best but expecting the worst" situation.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Mike D. aka jmiked

• Terra firma
      • View Profile
    So am I.  I have figurative fingers crossed.

Offline WC John

• View Profile
    I guess I'm in a "hoping for the best but expecting the worst" situation.

That's the way I approach every new TV series, be they adaptions or not.

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
    • Not really a moderator. :)
      • View Profile
    I think they've got a good cast who seem to be approaching it in the right spirit. I am hopeful. :)
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline NogDog

• View Profile
    I also learned recently (from Trent Zelazny's Twitter channel) that a production company has purchased the rights to Roger Zelazny's Lord of Light. If that comes to fruition, I hope to Sam (inside joke) that it's not just a costume and special effects extravaganza, but instead does justice to its thematic elements.

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
    • madhouse escapee #671
      • View Profile
    They reserved a seat for Sir Terry at the world premiere of Good Omens.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/entertainment-arts-48443794

Offline anguabell

• View Profile
      • Goodreads
    I like it so far, mostly because of the actors. Tennant and Sheen are great.

Offline NogDog

• View Profile
    I like it so far, mostly because of the actors. Tennant and Sheen are great.

For better or worse, they seem to be following the book pretty closely, almost to the point of being a video-book (sort of like an audio-book). :) I'm about half way through, I think...maybe two thirds. Overall I'm fairly pleased to this point, if not blown away -- but definitely not disappointed. The climax/denouement will of course have a major impact on my final verdict, plus I'm curious to see the effects for the ride of the 4 Horsemen, just because it was such a visually interesting part of the book (with some comedy relief, if they include the additional riders).

Offline anguabell

• View Profile
      • Goodreads
    ... plus I'm curious to see the effects for the ride of the 4 Horsemen, just because it was such a visually interesting part of the book (with some comedy relief, if they include the additional riders).

I was so looking forward to 4 Horsemen but this part could have been a bit better. But, as I've now finished the entire series, the overall impression was good. Less dynamic than Going Postal but nice. Even the children rose to the occasion. There were a few bits I didn't like but the banter between the two main characters was priceless. As Americans we might have missed a joke or two, though  :)

Offline The Hooded Claw

• Card-carrying melodrama villain
      • View Profile
      • All about me....<hee hee>
    I knew nothing of the book, but the advertising on Amazon has intrigued me. I havent got around to watching it, however. This means I am keeping busy, so it is good....
    "Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Mike D. aka jmiked

• Terra firma
      • View Profile
    I liked it a lot. I have the ebook, but havent got around to it yet. Now its at the top of the list.

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
    • madhouse escapee #671
      • View Profile
    Strangely enough, I have not managed to actually read the book.  I own it in multiple formats and have tried to read it, but I just can't get into it.
    I watched the first episode of the series with DH and I may try again.  After all, it took several years before I got into Pratchett in the first place...

Anyway, I came across this article about things you might have missed in the show if you hadn't read the book and thought it was interesting:
    https://www.tor.com/2019/06/10/10-details-you-might-miss-in-good-omens-if-you-havent-read-the-book/?utm_source=exacttarget&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_term=tordotcom-tordotcomnewsletter&utm_content=na-readblog-blogpost&utm_campaign=tordotcom&e=6bec1e7a974b7b4b327fcfe73cb2ee9cfe048b1334348c0c9af8698e7f5a3f61

The ten questions follow:
    Why does Crowley play Queen music in the Bentley all the time?
    Is the hat on Aziraphale's coat stand really something he wears?
    Was that Elvis?
    How does Aziraphale, Angel of Heaven, know magic tricks?
    Why is Crowley so mean to his houseplants?
    Did Crowley really say "Do you feel lucky?", like Dirty Harry?
    What does the "J" actually stand for in Crowley's name?
    What's the deal with discorporation?
    Any significance behind the new books in Azirpahale's shop post-Armageddon?
    Why is it important that a nightingale sings in Berkeley Square at the end?
    « Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 12:25:07 pm by Andra »

Offline NogDog

• View Profile
    Does that article include that they never explain why there's always a song by Queen playing in the Bentley? :) (I'm too lazy to read it right now. ;) )

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
    • madhouse escapee #671
      • View Profile
    Does that article include that they never explain why there's always a song by Queen playing in the Bentley? :) (I'm too lazy to read it right now. ;) )

yes

"Why does Crowley play Queen music in the Bentley all the time?
    Aside from the fact that Queen is categorically one of the greatest bands of all time, you might be wondering why Crowley keeps blasting their music through his antique car's stereo system. The short answer: he doesn't.

The long answer is this: according to the book, any album left in the Bentley for over a fortnight turns into a Best of Queen album. This was meant to be a joke about how popular the Best of Queen compilations were at the time the book was written, and how they seemed to show up in cars all the time whether people remembered purchasing them or not. Within the book, it leads to hilarious redux's of Queen tunes as filtered through whatever album Crowley had originally purchased - think Handel's "Another One Bites the Dust"."
    « Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 12:27:37 pm by Andra »

KBoards.com

• Advertisement