Author Topic: Help, my messaging app is driving me crazy!  (Read 391 times)  

Offline Susan in VA

• Northern Virginia
    • View Profile
Help, my messaging app is driving me crazy!
« on: May 29, 2019, 07:35:55 pm »

I'm using the standard messaging app that comes on an Android phone.  It's been perfectly sufficient so far, but recently I've started using it not just for the occasional personal text but also for communications with distant relatives, things related to DD's school, choir members, work, and various contractors.  So now message threads scroll off the screen pretty quickly, and there are ones I need to follow up on that are 30 conversations down, and they're getting lost.  I need a different app...

Ideally it should have folders.  They don't need to be nesting, and I really only need four  --  archive, follow up later, waiting for reply, and (default) new  --  though more would be fine.   But no other fussy stuff.   I don't want it to send alerts or make coffee  --  all I want is a way to organize text messages.  There are about a hundred apps advertised.  I'm hoping that someone here uses something like that and can give me a recommendation so that I don't have to DL and test out a bunch of them.   Looking at online reviews, some of the top-rated ones turn out not to be available in the US, so if anyone has first-hand experience they're willing to share I'd greatly appreciate it.   :)
Vivete con gioia e semplicit
State buoni se potete
Tutto il resto vanit.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
    • Not a moderator and haven't ben one for a year.
      • View Profile
    Re: Help, my messaging app is driving me crazy!
    « Reply #1 on: May 30, 2019, 04:47:28 am »
    Hey, Susan .... long time, no see! :D

I use something called Textra. It's free, though there are occasional ad texts; you can buy out of them for not too much money. It has some features the standard app doesn't: you can set the colors you want to use for text and backgrounds, set font sizes/styles, etc. Or if you want you can let it use random different colors for various contacts so not every conversation is the same -- or even set your own custom colors for specific contacts once a message from them has come in. It doesn't do anything quite so robust as you are talking about for keeping track of messages, but there is a search feature so if you know the name of the person who's thread you want you can find it that way. You can even search by words in the messages. And you can't delete in one step, it takes selecting, tapping the delete icon, and then tapping again. Which some might find annoying but I like because it means I'm less likely to delete something I want to keep.

I did a quick look in the Google Play store, and obviously there are thousands of choices. One in particular looks pretty good: Pulse SMS. It's free on your phone with no ads; for a fee you can put it also on a tablet or other device and messages will sync. It does seem to have folder storage and a lot of the same customization as the one I'm currently using. I may give it a try myself. If I discover anything useful I will let you know!
    « Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 04:50:45 am by Ann in Arlington »
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline The Hooded Claw

• Card-carrying melodrama villain
      • View Profile
      • All about me....<hee hee>
    « Reply #2 on: July 01, 2019, 08:15:10 pm »
    Im late, but Hi Susan, long time no see indeed!

Ive defected to Apple, so mow nothing of Android apps anymore. Is there a way to make certain people favorites, so their messages are automatically put first, or are otherwise marked?
    "Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."  - Albert Einstein

Offline jakecrew

• View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: January 16, 2020, 04:41:11 am »
    Use Facebook messenger.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement