Author Topic: Kingrow e-ink smartphone  (Read 291 times)  

Offline barryem

• View Profile
Kingrow e-ink smartphone
« on: June 03, 2019, 04:27:28 pm »
There have been a few smartphones with e-ink as a second display on the back but this one has e-ink as it's only display.  And it has a front light, which none of the others I'm aware of had.  Here's a link to a video review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUdZIXOct2U&t=4s

I've been to their site on Indegogo but there isn't a link to that in this video.  If there's any interest I'll post a link if I find one.

As I recall if you pre-order it on Indegogo it's $299 and if you wait till they're actually shipping they're $399.

I like the idea of this but I'm not sure I'd want a phone that large.  Also a few things on Indegogo never do actually ship and I've heard there's no way to get your money back if that happens.  I'm not sure that's true but it's the rumor I've heard.

A big problem with this is that there's no access to the Google app store.  A lot of apps won't work properly on e-ink and I'm guessing that's why.  It would probably be a nightmare for support if it came with the Google app store.  It does come with a Kindle app.

I do hope this is a precursor of things to come.  I'd love to have a phone size ereader with a 4.5" or 5" screen.  I really wouldn't care if it was a phone or not, although if it had a proper app store I'd prefer that it was a phone.

[edit]Turns out it's got a 5.1" screen.  I thought I remembered it being 6.1".  That makes it a lot more interesting to me.[/edit]

Barry
« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 04:32:25 pm by barryem »

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline binaryhermit

• View Profile
    Re: Kingrow e-ink smartphone
    « Reply #1 on: June 03, 2019, 06:06:23 pm »
    Let's see, $300, no google play, not terribly good mediatek processor, the risk that comes with being an indiegogo backer.  Also, as a Verizon user (ugh)...

Not to mention the screen durability issues that come with eink screens, maybe.

That'd be a pass from me.

But I hope something kinda like this comes out in a better for me package.

EDIT: I mean, it's an interesting concept, but in its current package, not ready for prime time.

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
    • Not a moderator and haven't ben one for a year.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: June 04, 2019, 03:19:13 am »
    Meh. I don't see the appeal. A phone screen is too small for me to read on really comfortably. A bigger screen would likely be too big for me to want to use it as a phone or for any of the other things I do with my phone. For me it's the worst of both worlds. :)

<switch to moderator hat> I'm going to move this thread to Not Quite Kindle. :)
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline TromboneAl

• Name IRL: Al Macy
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: June 08, 2019, 05:53:41 pm »
    Very interesting.

My solution is my phone in one pocket and my Oasis 2 in another.

Laboriously typed with fat thumbs on my tablet.

Al Macy | Web Site

KBoards.com

• Advertisement