Author Topic: Best Kindle for poor eyesight???  (Read 1581 times)  

Offline MrKnucklehead

• View Profile
Best Kindle for poor eyesight???
« on: June 13, 2019, 03:29:40 pm »
any suggestions, I own a 6 Paperwhite and 6 Kindle Fire...

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline barryem

• View Profile
    Re: Best Kindle for poor eyesight???
    « Reply #1 on: June 13, 2019, 06:09:29 pm »
    I think the Paperwhite is a far better choice than the Fire tablet.  E-ink is just naturally easier on your eyes.

If your eyesight is really bad you might consider getting an Oasis 2 with it's larger screen.  I'm not sure you can make the text larger on that but with large text at least you'll have more on the screen.

Of course a lot depends on just what's wrong with your eyesight.  I have a couple of neighbors who read on a Paperwhite and have pretty poor eyesight.  In the past I've had neighbors who weren't able to read on any size screen.  There's a lot of variation.

Barry

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
    • Not a moderator and haven't ben one for a year.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: June 13, 2019, 06:13:58 pm »
    Agree with all Barry said. E-ink is better than back lit (any sort of tablet) for sure.

And the current Oasis is just a bit larger so if you must use larger print you get more on a page.

All the kindles also have a bunch of options for typeface and the ability, with most books, to set the print bolder -- which reads as darker with better contrast. How you set the lighting may make a difference as well.
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline rolandx

• View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: June 15, 2019, 03:51:16 am »
    Everyone is different. Everyday I read on my phone (LG v30), during my commutes to work (about an hour each way), my Fire HD8 (after dinner), and my Voyage in bed. I'm in my 60's and though my eyesight isn't terrible I do use reading glasses. My preference for reading devices goes Fire, phone, Voyage. The lighting does not bother me at all. I'm really hoping a new 10" Fire comes out this year as my favorite reader was the Kindle DX.

Offline barryem

• View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: June 15, 2019, 07:25:41 am »
    Until recently I read mostly on a Paperwhite.  I've also begun reading on a phone now.  I've been reading on my phone when I was away from the house for a couple of years but I've read the last 6 books entirely on my phone.

I'm 78 and I have to use reading glasses but I'm correctable to 20/20 so it works out well for me.  And I've found that the narrower text let's me read a little faster and get lost in my reading a little less often.  I remember reading when I was younger that that's why newspapers have narrow columns.  I've read a few articles in recent years that dispute that but it does seem to work out that way for me.

On the phone I use a black background and white text, which keeps some of the light out of my eyes.  My phone has an Amoled screen which means there's only light from the bright pixels and that helps even more.  With an LCD screen there's a backlight shining through the entire screen, somewhat dimmed in the darker areas.  That reduces contrast.

That said, to help preserve the battery on my phone I've bought a second phone, a Galaxy J3 Orbit, for $50, which has an LCD screen and I'm using it for reading when I'm home and my regular phone when I'm away from home.  I have to take a break from reading for about a minute now and then or my eyes will start watering.  On the AMOLED screen I can read about 30 minutes and then stop for a minute and I'm fine.  On the LCD screen I have to stop for a minute about every 15 or 20 minutes.  But that's okay.  I more than make up for that by my faster reading.

For the past year I've been using the widest margins on my Paperwhite to kind of simulate the narrow column of text on the phone and I've found that improves my reading speed also.  I'm not sure reading on the phone is actually faster than on the Paperwhite with wide margins but I'm testing it to see how much I like it and at this point I'm liking it a lot.

Another thing I like about the phone is that instead of paging I can scroll the text.  Long before there were ereaders I used to read on my Palm Pilot and on other devices before that.  These always had text I could scroll and I always liked that.  I find that much more comfortable than page turning.  When I have to turn the page, as I get near the end of the page some of my attention is drawn away from the book to force myself to wait.  With scrolling I use a finger or thumb to keep the portion of the text I'm currently reading near the top of the screen and I don't even think about it.

Barry

Barry

Offline jkingrph

• View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: June 17, 2019, 07:59:38 am »
    I like my Fire 10 for daytime reading. and like the idea of the nightshade to reduce blue light later in the day, but the contrast is not great enough to make for easy reading for me.  I wish they would make a larger e reader along the Voyage or Oasis line

Offline barryem

• View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: June 17, 2019, 11:28:56 am »
    If you want a tablet with more contrast look at tablets with AMOLED displays.  They don't have a backlight.  Instead each pixel emits light and that means the black areas are truly black instead of dark grey.  If you look at an LCD the blacks look black even though they aren't because they're so much darker than the light parts of the screen.  But they do allow more than a little bit of light to pass through.  On an AMOLED screen there is no light coming from the black areas.  Those pixels are turned off.  If you look at the black areas you probably won't notice the difference but if you look at the screen overall you'll see the difference in contrast.

If you read with reversed text, black background and white text, this means a lot less light hitting your eyes and it's quite a lot easier on your eyes than reversed text on an LCD screen.  It's not as easy on your eyes as an e-ink screen, of course.

The problem with this is that tablets with AMOLED screens tend to be expensive.  For example here's a link to the Galaxy Tab S4 on Amazon for $647:

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Electronics-SM-T830NZKAXAR-Galaxy-Black/dp/B07FNZHWH2/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=galaxy+tab+s4&qid=1560796078&s=gateway&sr=8-2

Barry

Offline NogDog

• View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: June 24, 2019, 02:01:44 pm »
    Besides being quite near-sighted, I have a macular pucker plus some pretty nasty "floaters" in my right eye (from a detached/torn retina a few years ago). I can still pretty comfortably read on my Paperwhite (2nd generation, I think?), in part because I can increase both the font size and the line-spacing. (Paperbacks are pretty much a no-go for me any more.)

I definitely prefer reading on the e-ink screen rather than a backlit screen -- but no idea if that's just personal preference or anything driven by my particular vision issues.

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
    • madhouse escapee #671
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: June 25, 2019, 06:30:27 am »
    I prefer the e-ink Kindles, especially when my eyes are tired.
    But there are a lot of different customization options on the Fires and other tablets that have the Kindle app (or other reader app).  On my Fires I use the sepia tones for most of my reading.  I just adjust the light level so it's brighter in the daytime and lower at night.  I don't use the auto-adjust on the lighting because it's too sensitive and if I move a little so the light changes my screen changes and that messes with my head.

Offline TromboneAl

• Name IRL: Al Macy
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: August 08, 2019, 06:40:53 pm »
    With bad floaters following PVD and being blind in one eye, I'm thankful for my Oasis 2!

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk

Al Macy | Web Site

Offline HLS

• MO
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: August 09, 2019, 05:44:07 pm »
    The new Nook I find best on my eyes but if its a kindle I will go with oasis.  You can enlarge text and have a bigger screen to read from

Offline nikkidog

• Ohio
    • Happy Voyage, Oasis2 & 3 & Paperwhite owner
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: August 10, 2019, 03:56:08 am »
    You can adjust the font size on the Nook.  Its under the same spot you pick your font style (Aa).  Tap the +A button until you have the size you want.  I do wish the Nook had more adjustments for the font thickness.  I would prefer it just a little darker even with it on thicker.

That being said, the Oasis is still my favorite ereader.

Offline patrickt

• Oaxaca, Mexico
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: August 10, 2019, 06:29:59 am »
    any suggestions, I own a 6 Paperwhite and 6 Kindle Fire...

If you have both a Paperwhite and a tablet, you know better than we do which is best for you. I have cataracts and glaucoma and I like my Kindles. Whatever your problem is with eyesight might make you lean towards a tablet.

No one know, but you, Mr. Knucklehead.
    « Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 04:29:12 am by patrickt »

Offline CaptnAndy

• Folsom, CA
      • View Profile
      • Anomally Report
    « Reply #13 on: August 10, 2019, 10:12:04 am »
    I have several vision issues (went to a 38" monitor on my desktop). I have both a Paperwhite and a Fire 10. Both work for me (with larger fonts), but the Fire is more effected by glare when I'm reading in the car.
    After The Final Event: 80%

After The Days Of Infamy: 60%
    A.G. Kimbrough, An Author/Publisher of Historical Fiction and Hard Science Fiction
    A.G. Kimbrough

KBoards.com

• Advertisement