Author Topic: Goodreads sort order  (Read 574 times)  

Online Linjeakel

• United Kingdom
  • Erm .....
    • View Profile
Goodreads sort order
« on: June 15, 2019, 05:42:12 pm »
I've recently started using Goodreads to catalogue my books, particularly series now that Fictfact has been closed.

I've noticed that several books on my GR list appear out of place at the top of the list when I sort by title. I know from having added a couple of books to the database that there is a 'sort order' field which I assume was not completed by the person adding the book. But I can only edit the books I myself have added - I don't seem to have the necessary permissions to edit any other book's details.

So how do I get it fixed? Is the answer to add another edition of the book with the correct sorting info, or is there a way to ask for the existing one to be updated?
Linda

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Online Linjeakel

• United Kingdom
    • Erm .....
      • View Profile
    Re: Goodreads sort order
    « Reply #1 on: June 17, 2019, 04:19:06 am »
    Wow. I thought there would be loads of GR experts on here as it's mentioned so much.

I've put in a question on the website asking if a librarian can fix the particular books I've come across that are wrong. Going forward, I don't really want to have to do that every time though, but it seems that the only other way to go, other than adding a new edition of the book each time - which isn't really the correct thing to do - is to become a librarian. Apparently you can apply once you have at least 50 books on your shelves, but I have no idea what that entails.
    Linda

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
    • Not a moderator and haven't ben one for a year.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: June 17, 2019, 04:55:31 am »
    Sorry, Linda ... I missed this when you posted it as I was out most of Saturday and a good bit of yesterday as well.

I assume you're talking about when you go to 'my books' vs the home page you land on. Gotta say, though, I don't sort by title much ... only use it if I need to find something and, even then, the faster way is to just type in the title into search and have the database find it. I generally keep mine sorted by date read ... and if you've added books yourself you've already done more than I have! I've never looked into being a librarian. Hmmm.

And I guess I don't pay too much attention to what edition they show. Sometimes I change it just to make the cover illustration match what I have ... many times that's NOT actually the kindle edition. I just don't mind whether they think I'm reading on paper or not. :)

What name do you go by on GR? I'll add you as a friend ... because I KNOW we have similar book tastes. :D
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Online Linjeakel

• United Kingdom
    • Erm .....
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: June 19, 2019, 05:50:22 am »
    I had my 'all' bookshelf sorted by title for no particular reason and it just so happened that about four books kept randomly popping up at the top of the list and once I'd SEEN them I couldn't UNSEE them and my OCD kicked in and made me itchy!  ;D Two of them have since disappeared and come up in their correct spot, but I'm keeping it sorted by author now.

As for the editions - I'd put hundreds of books onto my shelves before I even realised there WERE different editions. After that I paid more attention to which one I was picking - but like you said I tended to go for the one with the correct cover. Also, in some cases I have both the kindle and paperback or kindle and audiobook and I obviously only want one entry for those.

I'm on GR with the same user name as on here - Linjeakel. I never rate or review my books so other than the fact that some are marked unfinished as opposed to read there's not much to help you know if I thought a book was good. I suspect a good few of the 'read' books were actually unfinished too but I never used to record them as such.

I've only recently started to use GR so all the books I have on there show a date added and date marked read sometime in the last month or so, so it's pretty much useless as a sort field. In fact I've never bothered to record when I read a book before and I don't think I even have any of the six available date fields showing on any of my shelves - it's not info I'm particularly interested in. All I want is a list of my books - especially series - with the title, the author and whether I have it on Kindle, paperback, audio etc. for my own information. I have no interest in the social/community aspects of GR, the recommendations or reviews, or the reading challenges etc.

I used to have some book database software on my PC but it was subscription based and I stopped it because I felt I was paying for a service that was ten times more complicated / comprehensive than I needed it to be.  However, looking into it, it seems I can continue to use it without paying the subscription - it just won't update the software - and I can even continue for now to sync it with the cloud so I can pick it up on my tablet or phone. More importantly I can export my GR database and import the basic info into the PC software, where I can edit it to my heart's content! So I may at some point go back to using that and not use GR at all.  :o

Trouble is, I'm too busy reading books to spend much more time cataloguing them ....  :-\

Linda

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: June 19, 2019, 06:00:13 am »
    So ... I added you as a friend .... but I did find you twice .... so maybe you had an old account and then started a new one? anyway, you should get a friend request from me. Pretty sure I'm called Ann Von Hagel there, which has the advantage of actually being my name. ;D

I've looked at a couple of the 'groups' on GR .... but they're HUGE ... with no way of knowing whether the people in them are going to be nice or helpful or anything. The only group I really participated in was one set up by my local library last Winter for the Middlemarch book reading club. This summer they're doing Moby Dick though and have moved discussions to FB.

I was able to import the fictfact data (which, grab it by July 1 if you haven't already, people) into a spreadsheet and then copy info to different tabs for each series. It's working o.k. There was a lot of data I didn't need so I did need to look closely to figure out what was extraneous.

I'd be interested to know what software you have that you'd been using? I totally agree that I'd rather be reading .... so the key has to be something where it's quick and easy to enter info when I've finished something. That is one thing that's pretty good with GR given it's closely integrated into the kindle systems. But it's not as good for finding where you are in a series, though it can be done.
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Online Linjeakel

• United Kingdom
    • Erm .....
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: June 19, 2019, 06:07:56 am »
    Wow, that's weird - there's another Linjeakel!  :o It's not me though - they only have 14 books listed. I'm surprised they let two people have the same username.

I've accepted your request so you should be able to rummage through my shelves now!  ;D
    Linda

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: June 19, 2019, 06:10:38 am »
    I saw that .... wonder if the other linjeakel will accept my request. ;)

And you feel free to rummage through mine! ;D
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Online Linjeakel

• United Kingdom
    • Erm .....
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: June 19, 2019, 06:11:48 am »
    Sorry, you wanted to know about the software - it's called Collectorz and it has different software depending on what you're collecting - books, movies, games etc. There's PC based versions, apps, cloud based and combinations, depending on your requirements. You can also pay monthly or annually and probably there are other choices too.
    Linda

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: June 19, 2019, 06:13:48 am »
    Thanks!

I may check it out.

yeah ... that other linjeakel seems to have joined GR in 2011 and not done anything since ......... it does show Chester, UK as their location ....

eta: I followed your link for the software .... then went to google play to see about the android app .... continued down the rabbit hole and found a very very well reviewed FREE app called "My Library" by Julien Keith. I've sent it to my tablet, so I'll play with it and see how it works. If I can import the database I already HAVE, that would be awesome -- I'd hate to have to recreate it. Will report back when I've had time to play. :)
    « Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 06:23:06 am by Ann in Arlington »
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Online Linjeakel

• United Kingdom
    • Erm .....
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: June 19, 2019, 06:22:25 am »
    Yeah, I'm in Birmingham rather than Chester though I don't think I have my location showing on there. I tend to be sparing in the peronal information I put on these things- if it's not compulsory I don't put it in and I only share info with friends, since I can choose who they are. Paranoid? Probably. I have a neat little tin foil hat too ......  ;D ;D
    Linda

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: June 19, 2019, 06:23:34 am »
    Yeah, I'm in Birmingham rather than Chester though I don't think I have my location showing on there. I tend to be sparing in the peronal information I put on these things- if it's not compulsory I don't put it in and I only share info with friends, since I can choose who they are. Paranoid? Probably. I have a neat little tin foil hat too ......  ;D ;D

I don't worry too much about it .... but I also don't go overboard. :)
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: June 19, 2019, 06:27:55 am »
    Linda, you need to go rate some things! Right now it says our tastes are 0% similar and I KNOW that's not true! ;D
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Online Linjeakel

• United Kingdom
    • Erm .....
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: June 19, 2019, 06:37:06 am »
    LOL! It does also say we have 98 books in common so clearly our tastes do overlap. I wouldn't know where to start rating ....
    Linda

Online Linjeakel

• United Kingdom
    • Erm .....
      • View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: June 19, 2019, 06:40:51 am »
    LOL! It does also say we have 98 books in common so clearly our tastes do overlap. I wouldn't know where to start rating ....

Apparently I misread it - we have 217 books in common...
    Linda

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: June 20, 2019, 04:43:03 am »
    Yeah ... I don't think I rated ones I'd listed that I read a long time ago. But I've been more-or-less thorough since I joined GR and pretty religious about it for the last 2 or 3 years.  I made myself a 4th 'exclusive' shelf for 'did not finish' so that they don't end up in my 'read' shelf.

Then I just sort according what year I finished it and a couple others mostly for my own record keeping -- like whether I bought it or borrowed it and where from. I also have some on my account that are pretty exclusively my husband's or brother's books since their kindles are registered to my account.

I had never gotten into noting the genre or making shelves for specific authors -- that's what FictFact was for! >:( And now I'm not sure I want to go back and do all that ... especially as that still won't put them in series order. I'd still have to look that up separately.
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #15 on: June 20, 2019, 07:18:59 am »
    I have a gazillion shelves, but not for authors. I have genres, tropes, plus a bunch of other parameters.  ;D

I never sorted my shelf by anything than date. I think its date. So it always shows the last first. So last one I read. No I just know if I try to sort by name or anything else, I'll see a bunch out of wack and then my own OCD will kick in. So I am trying not to find out. But its now a itch to know.  :-X

My goodreads is a bit unwieldy. Its probably why I have so many shelves. But I haven't looked much into the sorting thingies. I guess I am kind of stuck with the way I been doing it for so many years. And since I never checked what editions I put on the shelves, there are now too many books there for me to "fix".

I so miss fictfact. It was a huge help to find my next read as it showed me all my started series, what books are coming out in series and all that. Now they are all kind of lost in my 1000's and 1000's of books on shelves on goodreads. It was just such a nice way to see what I accomplished finishing a series. And how many. Now? I have no clue unless I wade through my long and longer shelves. One by one, book by book. Ugh.

Online Linjeakel

• United Kingdom
    • Erm .....
      • View Profile
    « Reply #16 on: June 21, 2019, 05:49:06 am »
    I moved onto GR specifically to record my series because of the demise of FictFact, so my shelves are mostly for individual series, with a seperate shelf for miscellaneous series - ones where I didn't feel they warranted a seperate shelf, or I only read the first books and decided not to continue, or I didn't even realise were part of a series until I came to catalogue them etc - and one for standalone books. I also record if I bought or borrowed and whether paper, ebook or audio.

Then I have a 'next in the series' shelf so I know what to get next, as well as a 'not read series' shelf for books further down the list and a 'series not started' list for books I already own that are the first in a series that I haven't gotten round to yet. By my reckoning I need to read about 200 books to complete all the series I've already started, so I doubt I'll be getting round to that 'series not started' list any time soon, nevermind the standalones I haven't yet read!  :o Other than new releases for series I'm reading and authors I always read, I'm actively trying to avoid buying anything new or even adding them to my endless wishlist.

The list is by no means complete - there is quite a lot of old stuff missing that I don't have a record of and no longer have the actual books - but it's sufficient for my needs for now, especially keeping tabs where I am with individual series. The only downside is that with series I'm up to date with I will have to keep checking whether there has been a new release to add to my 'next in the series' shelf as they won't automatically pop up as they did on FF.  :(
    « Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 08:04:54 am by Linjeakel »
    Linda

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #17 on: June 21, 2019, 06:48:37 am »
    I really really miss the automatic listing of new releases in series and when they came out. I see what you are trying to do now with goodreads. I have a "next up in series" shelf, but nothing for all the series I do have. Its just so jumbled on goodreads. If it didn't take so much time I would start making lists by hand for the series I started. Old school. But my hands get tired handwriting. And I am no good trying to make spreadsheets. The actual spreadsheets in the programs that is, not the filling in.

Its why I don't know how to read the one I got from fictfact so I can't even see my series as that list opens up all jumbled and unreadable. I wish I had had the time to take screenshots at least of the still intact lists. It would at least be something.

Now I have nothing. All that work, all that listing of current, reading and wanna read in future series. I can't remember it all of course.  :(

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #18 on: June 22, 2019, 05:14:08 am »
    I moved onto GR specifically to record my series because of the demise of FictFact, so my shelves are mostly for individual series, with a seperate shelf for miscellaneous series - ones where I didn't feel they warranted a seperate shelf, or I only read the first books and decided not to continue, or I didn't even realise were part of a series until I came to catalogue them etc - and one for standalone books. I also record if I bought or borrowed and whether paper, ebook or audio.

Then I have a 'next in the series' shelf so I know what to get next, as well as a 'not read series' shelf for books further down the list and a 'series not started' list for books I already own that are the first in a series that I haven't gotten round to yet. By my reckoning I need to read about 200 books to complete all the series I've already started, so I doubt I'll be getting round to that 'series not started' list any time soon, nevermind the standalones I haven't yet read!  :o Other than new releases for series I'm reading and authors I always read, I'm actively trying to avoid buying anything new or even adding them to my endless wishlist.

The list is by no means complete - there is quite a lot of old stuff missing that I don't have a record of and no longer have the actual books - but it's sufficient for my needs for now, especially keeping tabs where I am with individual series. The only downside is that with series I'm up to date with I will have to keep checking whether there has been a new release to add to my 'next in the series' shelf as they won't automatically pop up as they did on FF.  :(

That sounds quite organized ... and sort of what I'm doing with my massive spreadsheet. I started with the fictfact cvs file, deleted a bunch of columns that had data that wasn't really important to me, and re-sorted. Then I did a cut/paste for series that I regularly read and don't want to miss the next one, and made new tabs for each of them, which I renamed so I could find each tab easily. The 'master list' basically only has ones that I've either completely finished (and there won't be more for one reason or another), ones I don't intend to read more of (so I remember I tried 'em and didn't care for them), or ones that I'm not making a priority to read the next in series. Which is still rather a lot! :o I've got at least 20 tabs of continuing series, and probably at least 40 other series on the master tab.

I did go to Amazon and 'follow' the authors of series I'm for sure reading. That way I should get notice of a new release when it goes up for pre-order and can add it to my spreadsheet then.

Atunah, if you want to tag me by PM, I'll give you my email address.  If you can email me your fictfact file, I can clean it up a bit the way I did mine ... might make it more useful to you at least. :)
    « Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 05:16:31 am by Ann in Arlington »
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Online Linjeakel

• United Kingdom
    • Erm .....
      • View Profile
    « Reply #19 on: June 22, 2019, 08:04:41 pm »
    I've also been 'following' authors I read regularly but I've found Amazon are a bit slack in letting you know about new releases. More than once I've already bought and even read a book before they've emailed me about it, so I tend to do my own periodic search anyway.

I didn't find the FF spreadsheet all that helpful as it only listed books I'd read and not the next books in the seies or any series where I had the first book but hadn't actually started it. I did manage to get a screen print of my complete list of series as I had it open from the day before and fortunately I read your post about FF closing before I refreshed it and got the closure message. Between them I had just enough info to get my series set up on GR.

I've also been trying out Library Thing - I really like the way you can edit title and author fields and even the covers, but in all other respects I think Goodreads is better - and free. Besides, even importing from GR would still leave me with a lot of work to do to get it set up as I'd like and I've already spent more than enough time on GR - I'd rather be reading!
    Linda

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #20 on: June 23, 2019, 03:58:31 am »
    I've also been 'following' authors I read regularly but I've found Amazon are a bit slack in letting you know about new releases. More than once I've already bought and even read a book before they've emailed me about it, so I tend to do my own periodic search anyway.

True ... I'd usually known about it from FictFact sooner. :(

I didn't find the FF spreadsheet all that helpful as it only listed books I'd read and not the next books in the seies or any series where I had the first book but hadn't actually started it. I did manage to get a screen print of my complete list of series as I had it open from the day before and fortunately I read your post about FF closing before I refreshed it and got the closure message. Between them I had just enough info to get my series set up on GR.

Yeah .... the spreadsheet wasn't actually all the books in the various series, just the ones you'd already said you'd read. Or marked as skipped. I know there were a ton of series that I'd marked to follow but hadn't actually started yet. I certainly don't remember all of them now. :(

I've also been trying out Library Thing - I really like the way you can edit title and author fields and even the covers, but in all other respects I think Goodreads is better - and free. Besides, even importing from GR would still leave me with a lot of work to do to get it set up as I'd like and I've already spent more than enough time on GR - I'd rather be reading!

I'm probably going to stick with the spreadsheet I built, but, as I have time, I may play with the other app I found. We'll see. :)
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #21 on: June 23, 2019, 07:27:26 am »
    Same here. I had so many series I "followed" but hadn't actually started yet. So it wouldn't be in that file. I so wish I had know beforehand and I would have also taken screenshots of everything. That list with all the series and percentages you read series would have been one I would have taken screen shots off. All they had to do is email the users, but they claim emailing would have been too complicated.  :-\.

It would be nice if goodreads could implement a better way to follow series. Not holding my breath though as stuff asked for in the past either took years or was just never offered at all. But its still for now the best book data base, just not great for series.

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #22 on: June 23, 2019, 08:47:11 am »
    Same here. I had so many series I "followed" but hadn't actually started yet. So it wouldn't be in that file. I so wish I had know beforehand and I would have also taken screenshots of everything. That list with all the series and percentages you read series would have been one I would have taken screen shots off. All they had to do is email the users, but they claim emailing would have been too complicated.  :-\.

I wouldn't have needed an email but you'd think they could have at least put some notice on the fictfact site as soon as they knew. They obviously did know ahead of time because they announced it in that GR group and I've since seen that there was a FB group as well where it was announced. But if a person didn't happen to be members of those groups it came as a complete shock when you logged in one day and found it was all gone! :o I don't see how it would have been any harder to put a notice up BEFORE it closed than it was when it had closed. They handled it badly, I think. Or, at least, could certainly have handled it much better.

I also don't see why the file they were able to produce for each user didn't also include series marked as followed. But I guess at the point they decided to give up they just went with minimal effort.

It would be nice if goodreads could implement a better way to follow series. Not holding my breath though as stuff asked for in the past either took years or was just never offered at all. But its still for now the best book data base, just not great for series.

Agreed. I have found that on GR there is usually a listing of the series if you know what they call it -- and sometimes it's not what you expect. But, generally, on books that are coded as part of the series, there's a link that takes you to the full series when you go to the book page for any book in the series. So that helps. There you can at least see what you've marked as read to figure out where you left off.
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

KBoards.com

• Advertisement