Author Topic: Jigsaw Puzzles  (Read 1720 times)  

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
Re: Jigsaw Puzzles
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2019, 05:50:45 pm »
I got those things delivered yesterday. Trays.

They are really neat and much better than the shoebox lids.  ;D

I have to be honest, I don't think I'd make a good partner for puzzling. I have always done them myself, can't recall every anyone working on them with me. Unless I am blocking it out. Could be. But it was always just me. I have a system and I am not sure how that would work with someone else.  8)

I am almost done with my first one. Sky and water stuff is left. Hardest I guess.

I have more coming already. I like the designs Schmidt has. They have nice bavarian photos and other landscapes. And maps and some ships. I have some ravensburger coming and I have some of the white mountain on a list for later. Some planets I found also I like.

its all your fault crebel, you have created a monster.  :P

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • Member #1600 since January 15, 2009
      • View Profile
    « Reply #26 on: June 23, 2019, 06:43:34 pm »
    I bet you'd be a great puzzling partner!  You'd work out a new system if someone joined you.

I have looked at those stackable sorting trays and think they would be extremely useful, but haven't bought them yet as our lid system seems to be working well for now.

We are addictive personalities when we get started, aren't we?  Enabling at its finest!   :-*

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
    • madhouse escapee #671
      • View Profile
    « Reply #27 on: June 24, 2019, 07:03:43 am »
    I tried the Puzzle app on my Fire and purchased the quilt pack of puzzles.  So far I am enjoying it.  I am starting out simple with lower numbers of pieces and no rotation, but as I remember how to do puzzles, I may up the difficulty.  I still can't find the table in my game room, so doing a physical puzzle right now is out of the question.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #28 on: June 24, 2019, 08:36:30 am »
    I tried some of the puzzle games on my fire at some point, but for my eyes the screen is just too small to see well enough. I have to see the whole thing, not just sections. But I only have the small fire so might be better on a larger screen. I went 25 years without space for a puzzle table so I had to try something too.

I got my gateleg table so it can be easy folded down or up depending on the size. I thought that most of the time it would be just one side up as a vanity with the occasional puzzle. I have a feeling there will be a puzzle on it all of the time now and folded out full.  ;D

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
    • madhouse escapee #671
      • View Profile
    « Reply #29 on: June 25, 2019, 06:34:55 am »
    I tried some of the puzzle games on my fire at some point, but for my eyes the screen is just too small to see well enough. I have to see the whole thing, not just sections. But I only have the small fire so might be better on a larger screen. I went 25 years without space for a puzzle table so I had to try something too.

I got my gateleg table so it can be easy folded down or up depending on the size. I thought that most of the time it would be just one side up as a vanity with the occasional puzzle. I have a feeling there will be a puzzle on it all of the time now and folded out full.  ;D

True.  I should have specified that I tried it on my 10" Fire.  I think it would be too hard for me on a smaller one.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #30 on: June 25, 2019, 06:43:47 pm »
    A 10 inch would be much better yes. I only had a 8.9 HD fire way back. Its pretty much dead as it doesn't hold its battery anymore. Was a nice one though, but old now. I have a 6 inch fire and a 7 inch I think it is Asus tablet. Both getting up there in age. I just don't have much uses for tablets. I can't read on them and everything else is too small.

I finished my first puzzle, took a picture and then took it apart. It takes some time to break it up as I want to be careful with the pieces and not damage them.

I have already started the next on my new sturdier mat

The mat I got is not foldable or rollable and just the size for 1000 piece puzzles. Its perfect as I can now turn it around on the table and work on any part without having to move the stool. And I can carry it if needed.

I also already got another Ravensburger for later.

What is weird the one I am working on is coming in a much smaller box. Its thicker, but only like 7-8 inches by 708 inches, while the other is in a rectangle usual size box. Like 20 by something. Same amount of pieces, same size puzzle. Wonder which style is newer. Would take less space on the shelf and shipping container I suppose.

Both the Schmidt and Ravensburger are very similar in quality to me. Both excellent.

There were a few pieces where they fit, but didn't go there. If you know what I mean. It was driving me nuts when I couldn't get the other pieces to get places until it hit me. And when I held them up in the light I could see the gap, very slight. Those pieces fit together very tight when correct. The sky was driving me to drink though towards the end. I can now report that Margaritas do not help with puzzle solving.  ;D

I think I will mostly do 1000 pieces. Its the best size and still manageable. I don't have to lean over the table too far and crink my neck. Is that a puzzler issue? I have to be careful not not to mess up my neck or back. I can get sucked in fast and then my neck hurts. I need to stretch and get up at times.

I did find some maps that are 1500 and 2000 which I will do at some point as I love maps. But they are mostly the same colors so they'll take longer. Which is good, cause at this rate I am having to budget puzzles into my grocery budget.  :-X :o
    « Last Edit: June 25, 2019, 06:47:05 pm by Atunah »

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #31 on: June 25, 2019, 06:50:18 pm »
    I forgot. Here is my very first finished puzzle in over 25 years.  ;D

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #32 on: June 26, 2019, 05:06:07 am »
    Often the size of the box is an indication of the size of the puzzle pieces even though there are the same number of pieces in each box.  Checking the finished size.  I think the most common completed size is 20 x 27 (for our 1000 piece puzzles, anyway), but occasionally the size is smaller, which means the pieces are dinky in comparison!  Those can be a challenge with my eyesight, but still doable.

I may be wrong, but I also think the smaller square box puzzles are less likely to have the additional picture/poster of the puzzle and all you have to work from is the box front if you like that extra reference.

I love the space puzzle you are getting.  My sister is not so much into any of the landscape-type puzzles.  There isn't much I don't like except anything that has all sameness like the meadow one I spoke of earlier.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33 on: June 26, 2019, 05:37:27 am »
    There are no posters in either the Schmidt or Ravensburger I opened so far. I don't remember ever having posters in my puzzles in the past. Size of pieces is the same on the different size boxes and puzzle size is also listed as same. And I have the edges done on the new one and yes, its exactly the same size. So might just be a transpo, storage thing with the outside box design. Of course it makes the picture to check against a wee bit smaller too. But on the other hand, less space for me to stack them up in storage.  ;D

I'll probably branch out from the landscapes ones I exhausted all the ones I put on wishlist so far.

Looking forward to the planet one. I just love all the colors on it. I think that will be a fun one. I'll probably redo all of them when I run through my points to buy puzzles.  8)

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34 on: July 03, 2019, 07:53:24 am »
    Finished 2nd puzzle. That would made my pull out some hair in the sky area. Mint green and pink of different shades. And the water looked like the trees on the horizon.

Going to do the planets next. I need something with more color and non landscape.  ;D
    I love that mat though. I can turn it around to where I need to puzzle without moving my stool and it fits on that ikea table either direction. It is the perfect size for 1000 puzzles. Fits right on it.

Offline mlewis78

• New York, NY
    • Member #3406
      • View Profile
    « Reply #35 on: July 11, 2019, 11:50:24 pm »
    I like puzzles but have not done any real ones in my adult life, only the online ones. I have a good memory from about age 17 when I helped do a lunar one with a boyfriend and his father. It was not an easy one with so much in the same colors. 1968.
    New York, NY
    Flutist, retired legal word processing operator
    Readers:  Oasis 2, Kindle Fire 8 HD Plus, Paperwhite 2 (2013) (gave away), Fire HDX 8.9" (won't hold a charge now), Fire HD6 (2014 pink), 2012 K4(black), K4(silver), KFHD 7", K3 that won't charge, Kindle DX (US), Sony PRS-350, B&N Nook STR and Bookeen Cybook Opus

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #36 on: July 16, 2019, 08:41:04 am »
    I am mad. I finished my planet puzzle and there is a piece missing smack in the middle.  :'(
    Puzzle never left the room or the table it is on, no kids or pets. Only I go in that room. I looked all over the floor just in case, nothing. I feel incomplete and its messing with my OCD.

I hope that is not a common thing with puzzles.

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #37 on: July 16, 2019, 09:03:22 am »
    It does happen, but I would say it's uncommon.  Maybe 1/200 puzzles we do.  The two times I can think of, contacting the company resulted in them offering to send the puzzle again or credit for a new puzzle. Sorry it happened to you!

The most frequent places for us to find a piece that wasn't really missing are either under the puzzle itself or attached to a piece of clothing worn while working the puzzle; sleeves when you've reached across, etc.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #38 on: July 16, 2019, 01:19:43 pm »
    Yeah, that is why I an not contacting amazon. I mean how do I prove it was missing and not like you say stuck on some clothes. I took it apart and put a note into it about the piece missing and where. So if it ever pops up, I can put it back in. It just bugged the heck out of me. I love the feeling I get when I finish the whole thing. You know what I mean. So to have that gaping hole there drove me nuts. I am starting a new one. A Egypt pyramid themed one.

I did check under my mat and also under the puzzle itself just to make sure.

Hopefully I just got really unlucky and it doesn't happen again any time soon. Such a pretty puzzle too.  :(

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #39 on: July 23, 2019, 09:18:03 am »

I finished those 2. Planet one of course you can see the missing piece. Still fun. I totally loved doing the egypt one though. That was a ton of fun. I think it has just the right balance of fun and challenge, without getting annoying.
    I'll totally do that one again someday soon.

I have a stack and have not decided which one I'll start next.

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #40 on: July 23, 2019, 09:34:34 am »
    I really like the Egypt puzzle.  I can see Schmidt on the box, did you get it from Amazon?

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #41 on: July 23, 2019, 09:41:29 am »
    I ordered it on amazon, but using 3rd party seller which is also amazon. The UK amazon global store. I ordered 3 total from their which then brought the shipping down enough per box that it ended up not costing any more. I could not find it for sale state side. I really like the designs of the Schmidt brand.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0133QNDJW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I always first check in the 3rd party section, I did not order from the company it lists first. I just figured amazon UK is safer, but maybe it doesn't matter overall. But I paid overall less by ordering 3, than using that 3rd party seller.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #42 on: July 30, 2019, 06:41:26 pm »
    Finished this one

Oh boy that one was challenging. Lot of chocolate in different tones.  ;D

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #43 on: August 18, 2019, 01:06:50 pm »
    Finished 3 more  ;D

The lighthouse one was very challenging once I got the grass and lighthouse done. lots of sky on that one.  :-X

I really enjoyed the lake front one and the last one I did was the one with all the edibles. That was a lot of fun also.

Puzzling is so calming. I'll have a bit mug of coffee and just put the world back together.  ;D

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #44 on: August 19, 2019, 06:58:50 am »
    I'm spending a few days with my sister and we are currently working on this puzzle.

It is more challenging than it looks like it would be and the Lionel puzzles have some really odd-shaped pieces!

Atunah, I really like the "edibles" puzzle.  Maybe we can do some swaps by mail sometime if we can find a few we like from each other. :)

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #45 on: August 26, 2019, 12:51:48 pm »
    Oy those are a lot of trains. Or locomotives. I am not well versed in rail road thingies  :P. I bet that was a bit tricky since some are the same color.  ;D

I finished another one. This one I called my perfect puzzle. It has all the things in it I like. Red wine, cake, kittens, boats, birds, plants, crossword puzzle and a jigsaw puzzle.  ;D. Its really cute.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement